Author Topic: Dancing With The Stars Season 8  (Read 244295 times)

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Re: Dancing With The Stars Season 8
« Reply #725 on: April 28, 2009, 10:42:31 AM »
Melissa broke 3 ribs?

credit to hollywoodtv

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #726 on: April 28, 2009, 11:02:06 AM »
click on link below to view video

Tony Dovolani on Melissa's Injury: 'She Has Nothing to be Sorry About'

Shortly before "Dancing with the Stars" aired on Monday night it was revealed that Melissa Rycroft would not dance due to a rib injury. Melissa's partner Tony Dovolani tells ET that he is still very proud of his partner.

"I know how frustrated she was, she was in tears the entire time" Tony says about Melissa trying to persevere through rehearsals. "The entire time she wanted to dance; she was going to work through it. . The fact that she still tried to dance for me, my heart goes out to her. She keeps sending me text messages saying 'I'm sorry,' she has nothing to be sorry about. I still think she's one of the most wonderful people I've ever met. That enthusiasm has never left."

Julianne Hough and Chuck Wicks tell ET about the leotard Chuck wore on Monday's show, and Chuck apologizes to Julianne's dad for his hand placement during last week's performance.

Watch the video for more backstage action at "Dancing with the Stars."

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/04/73308/index.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #727 on: April 28, 2009, 12:28:17 PM »

Video: Are Ty Murray & Jewel Starting a Family?

Jewel and Ty Murray opened up to ET after Monday night's "Dancing with the Stars" and the couple reveals what they have planned for the future!

"Me and Jewel, we want to have kids and we feel like we're right on track," Ty says. "We're at that point in our life where we both are really looking forward to it and really want one."

Watch the video to hear Jewel dish on her new album and find out if she's still planning to take a turn on the ballroom floor for the next season of "Dancing with the Stars."

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/04/73306/index.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #728 on: April 28, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »

Is Chuck Wicks Planning a 'DWTS' Proposal?

Country star and "Dancing with the Stars" contestant Chuck Wicks set the record straight on Monday night as to whether or not he will propose to his girlfriend and partner Julianne Hough on live television.

"The ballroom proposal will not happen," Chuck assures ET. "Of course I want to, I just don't want to do it on 'Dancing with the Stars.'"

Julianne admits to ET that she feels a television proposal is "tacky," and is glad Chuck has decided not to propose on the show.

Watch the video for more with the "Dancing" couple!

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/04/73302/index.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #729 on: April 28, 2009, 01:57:48 PM »
Monday’s Dancing: What You Didn’t See

Real Men Wear Tights:  During the first half of Monday’s show, Mark Ballas promised there would be a big surprise in the group mambo number. Who knew that meant the men – Chuck Wicks, Tony Dovolani and Ballas — would tear away their black suits to reveal white tights underneath? “My poor wife and children. I hope to God they never refer to this video ever in their life!” Dovolani joked. “This is not one of our proudest moments. We thought we had to do something funny. This was a spoof off of Saturday Night Live Justin Timberlake.” The brainchild behind the on-air strip down gag was Ballas. “It’s about a TV show and entertaining the audience and owning it,” he explained. “We did a traditional mambo for the first three minutes and the last 10-15 seconds were a lot of fun.” Even though judge Carrie Ann Inaba called the stunt “distracting,” the fans responded nicely to it with a rousing standing ovation. “It’s all about the fans,” Chuck Wicks said jokingly, confessing that the outfits made him “feel weird. I still have the leotard on. I can feel it on my body, and it just feels weird.”

Disabled List: The rib injury that bothered Melissa Rycroft during last week’s Argentine tango intensified during rehearsals the past several days. Despite trying to plow ahead, her partner Tony Dovolani tells PEOPLE because she was in discomfort and had difficulty breathing, she had to miss Monday night’s show. “All week long we were treating the injury, but it was affecting her breathing so she couldn’t dance tonight,” a dejected Dovolani said minutes after the show. Rycroft sought medical attention and is expected to return to Tuesday’s results show. But because she wasn’t able to dance, the judges had to score her based on a rehearsal she and Dovolani had earlier in the day. “On a performance show we would dance that ten times better than that,” Dovolani said. “We didn’t go full tilt and you know, I felt bad for the judges tonight because they had to base their comments on that, and we weren’t really even performing. It’s unfortunate.” Upon hearing that they received their lowest score of the season (21 out of 30), Rycroft “texted me five times,” Dovolani said. “She feels like she let me down. She did not at all. Health always comes first.”

It’s a Love Match: Before she and partner Derek Hough slayed the paso doble, Lil’ Kim expressed her love to Monday night’s audience. Acknowledging the crowd’s support when she took the stage, Lil’ Kim blew kisses to the right, left and center sections of the ballroom. A few minutes later, after hearing the judges’ praise, Kim expressed equal gratitude by planting a peck on each of their cheeks. So what was behind all of the unabashed affection? “If it wasn’t for the fans and the judges rooting for me and wanting me to make it and be on top, where would I be? I have to show them some love back because they show me so much love,” said Kim, whose mother, Ruby, and brother, Chris, were visiting from New York. Did having family in the audience make her nervous? “Yes, it does! And I get nervous even when they’re not here,” Kim said, giggling. “I’m glad they were here for a great show.” Ruby was glad, too. “I am so proud of her,” Mom gushed.

Taking One for the Team: This week Ty Murray upped his game more than ever before, getting a spray tan and going sleeveless for his salsa with partner Chelsie Hightower. He then went shirtless alongside Gilles Marini, albeit briefly, for the group tango. To the audience’s surprise –- and delight –- Murray’s physique proved he has every right to, ahem, bare arms. “Ty has been riding bulls his whole life,” Murray’s wife, singer Jewel, told PEOPLE. “He has had this amazing body his whole life. When we met 10 years ago I was like, Oh my gosh! He has muscles on muscles. I can’t even tell you just how fiercely ripped that man is. It’s been my dirty little secret and now America is getting to know it.” Murray, for his part, said he did it all “to be a team player.” Well, the tan-and-shirtless cowboy combo helped Team Tango score a 28 out of 30 and the win, but “seeing Ty with his shirt off was priceless,” said a giggling Cheryl Burke.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/04/28/mondays-dancing-what-you-didnt-see-24/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #730 on: April 28, 2009, 02:20:11 PM »
DWTS' Tony Dovolani "Heartbroken" Over Melissa Rycroft's Rib Injury

Tony Dovolani tells Usmagazine.com he feels "heartbroken" about partner Melissa Rycroft's  rib injury.

"Up until a half hour before the show, she was still trying to dance for me and she was in complete pain," he told Us after Monday's show. "She has a high threshold for pain - and she still came onstage and tried to dance for me and that says a lot about her."

About 15 seconds into her jive routine, Dovolani recalled, "she couldn't breathe. So I picked her up, as I would pick up my own daughter. I brought her backstage and tried to calm her down and help her rest."

"I have to tell you," he continued, "I don't think any other celebrity would have done that - she still tried to dance. That says a lot about a person."

Thanks to her treatments, he said Rycroft should be better "in 12 hours. But unfortunately she just had complications today."

He said it was tough having the judges make their critiques based on the rehearsal performance.

"My heart went out to the judges because they had to base their comments on us making a routine!" he said. "It wasn't even dress rehearsal, it was orchestra rehearsal! And we had already done it three times, so I told her to take it easy on that one. I mean, talk about bad luck! But, you know, I never question what God puts in front of me. So if this is what I have to go through, then this is what I have to go through. God always picks strong people to go through these situations, so I guess I'm the one."

The whole DWTS crew missed Rycroft on Monday' show.

Said Cheryl Bruke, "I was scared because I had no idea what happened. I knew she was having some kind of problem, but I didn't know it was serious. Scary!"

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/tony-dovolani-heartbroken-over-melissa-rycrofts-rib-injury-2009284

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #731 on: April 28, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
The Latest on Injured 'Dancing' Star Melissa Rycroft

Will Melissa Rycroft appear on "Dancing with the Stars" tonight? ET has the answer!

"DWTS" producers tell ET that Melissa will indeed take the stage on tonight's results show, and she'll be addressing the injury that sidelined her last night -- three broken ribs.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/04/73331/index.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #732 on: April 28, 2009, 09:29:02 PM »
Elimination Show Results:

In order being announced safe were:

Lil' Kim/Derek

Ty/Chelsie

Gilles/Cheryl

Shawn/Mark

Bottom 2:

Melissa/Tony

Chuck/Julianne

ELIMINATED WERE CHUCK WICKS AND JULIANNE HOUGH

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #733 on: April 28, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »
Dancing with the Stars Episode Recap: Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The final six get cut down to five as the pro competition continues. Did Melissa overcome her injury and low score? Or was there a shocker of an elimination? Find out below!

Team Tango gets the coveted encore slot, which means Lil' Kim's dancing the encore for the fourth week in a row. Yes, only two of them were solo and one was with, uh, everyone else, but still. In keeping with the minimal-clothing theme, we get to see Melissa's near-moonage again — I mean, her rehearsal jive. (She's still undergoing treatment... which includes three more layers of spray tan.) Ty gets our minds off it with some awesome smack talk to Len, saying he's better at dancing than how Len'd be at bull-riding. Oh, snap! Len on a bull? When (let's face it, it's not going to be "if") Ty gets eliminated, can he stick around just for the wit alone? If they can string along Kenny Mayne, they should snap Ty up ASAP. In other Ty news, did anyone else catch Bruno sniffing Ty's shirt in the Team Tango replay? Fetish?

Apparently no experts were available this week, so instead of more calorie-counting, we get celebrities trading in their day jobs for Dancing — "Ballroom Dancers of Genius." The only thing hardcore about Lil' Kim now is her paso doble. Really? Shawn needs a Mirrorball trophy to match her Olympic gold. Ty wants to be King of the Conga line. Gilles must represent his country... and baguettes. Notice how Melissa and Chuck are conspicuously absent from this. Because they have no careers?

Robin Thicke is in the house and is sweating beyond profusely. I can't help it, but he just makes me think of Alan, and thus, makes me want to watch Growing Pains and/or go here.

First safe couple:
Lil' Kim & Derek

The Perfect Partner segment... reminds me of Perfect Body, that 1997 gymnastics TV movie with Amy Jo Johnson in which she has an eating disorder. Anyone? No? Well, according to the three stooges, Chuck has the mental attitude. If by "mental attitude," you mean whining, then, yes. Gilles has arms. Ty has the core strength. Duh! Melissa's got the legs. Shawn has the best feet and Kim has the face. She's the Queen Bee, that's why!

Next safe couple:
Ty & Chelsie (Are pigs flying? Ty is not waiting until the last minute for once?)

And now, celebrity endorsements: Dance Match featuring first couple Chuck and Julianne, paired by Melissa. Of course the Bachelor reject would help others find true love! Did Julianne just spell out O-M-G? S-T-F-U. Lindsay Lohan wants her bit back, guys. What are you going to tell me next? Dance Match is not a match-making service, but a match-finding service? I can find spiritual completeness and attain a sense of wholeness in this cold, cruel world? I don't frequent these sites, I swear. Now the next one was kind of inspired — People for the Ethical Treatment of Dancers. Getting naked in the name of the "senselessly" injured celebrity + the use of strategically placed, uh, mirrorballs (no pun intended) = win! And, if I do say so myself, Mark looked pretty dishy in that black-and-white silhouette... kind of like Novak Djokovic, another tennis player. Seriously, where are my fellow tennis fans?

Next safe couple:
Gilles & Cheryl (go Team Tango!)

Pick a Pro
I kind of forgot about this. We're down to four: Genya Mazo, Afton DelGrosso, Mayo Alanen and Anna Demidova. Nepotism is still intact!

Genya & Afton: Quickstep
First of all, that dress is gorgeous on Afton. This is very peppy, but I'm not really feeling it. There is something "off" about each of them.

Mayo & Anna: Jive
Why are they paired again? Isn't this an unfair advantage? Oh, wait, this is Dancing. Who cares about unfair advantages? They don't really seem in sync here, but Mayo is all over this shiznit. Anna's working it too, so much so that I can't even remember who danced what 10 minutes ago.

Next safe couple:
Shawn & Mark (how cute was her reaction?)

That leaves Chuck and Julianne, and Melissa and Tony. I'm not surprised they're both here. Melissa's only here for the "dramatic" effect. She's got the sympathy vote. So it must be bye-bye Chuck... and it... is!

The first couple of the ballroom is gone. Chuck blames the team dance. Uh, OK. Way to make Melissa feel worse than she already is. Now go back to your potato farm.

What did you think? Was Chuck's axing as "dramatic" as advertised? How much filler do you think there was in this episode?

http://www.tvguide.com/Episode-Recaps/dancing-stars/Dancing-Stars-Episode-1005542.aspx

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #734 on: April 29, 2009, 01:43:04 AM »
What an exciting show last night!

Hi there, it's Jewel,

Just wanted to touch base and say howdy. What an exciting show last night!

I thought everyone brought their A-game and it was definitely stiff competition! Being a rodeo and bull riding fan it's hard for me to get used to someone who is injured still getting a score.

I think the rule about "judging a rehearsal if the person is too injured to perform" was weird both times they have used it.

As bad as I felt for Melissa, who I hope feels better and comes back, I'm used to our cowboy athletes that live by the rule: "ride hurt or don't get a score." It may seem harsh, but it seems like the only way to keep things honest.

If you're too hurt to compete then you can't compete.

But if I were to be on the show I might change my mind. Hahah!

I know there are all kinds of ways to doing things and it sure is out of my control – that's for sure – so I'm happy to follow along as it is, but I have to say I think the PBR has kept a lot of integrity in sports by using this rule.

Other sports, like boxing for example, pay the guys who loose so there isn't anything on the line to make them try their hardest. And football awards contracts to guys who get played weather they decide to "bring it" any given Sunday or not.

I like that the bull riders and cowboys have to win to get paid.

They get paid based on their performance and not on their reputation. That, to me, seems like the way it should be in the real world. All of us get fired if we don't do any good at our jobs.

OK, I know, I'm probably too opinionated, but there it is...

Needless to say, I know who my favorite dancer on the show is... :) I was so proud of how Ty dug deep and really did his best two performances to date, in my opinion.

He is really being such a good sport about this whole show – tanning and clothes (or lack thereof!) – and all...

I really think he embodies the spirit of what the show is all about--a non dancer learning how to dance so win, lose or draw I'm sure proud of him. He's come a long way since the ChaCha!

And I thought Team Tango rocked it!

I know they picked him last, but I think he proved himself to be a great asset. Never under estimate a cowboy--boo yah! Haha...
It was great to see Michael Gaffney at the show last night. He flew in from New Mexico just to support Ty and brought his family, including his daughter Destyn, who sat next to me last night as my date!

Here are some pics of last night and the last few days...

Here are some pics of Ty with a couple children from the Make-A-Wish Foundation. They were so cute and Ty even danced with one of them. She was a dancing dynamo!

So, I guess, tonight we'll see if Ty is going to be around for another week.

I wish no one had to go home. I'm really enjoying this group and they're all working so hard. I hate to see any of them go! It will be nail-biting tonight!

Here are some pics for you of the last week and last night.

Enjoy and I will be seeing you soon!

For more frequent updates feel free to follow along on twitter at @jeweljk or my website www.jeweljk.com. Thanx for all your love and support and letting us get to know all of you through your comments you leave at the end of Ty's blogs.

http://www.pbrnow.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/4/28/What-an-exciting-show-last-night#more

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:07:09 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #735 on: April 29, 2009, 09:43:53 AM »
Chuck and Julianne on Jimmy Kimmel Live

Credit with thanks to DWTSSeason8

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #736 on: April 29, 2009, 09:59:11 AM »
The final five will do two dances on Monday 5/4, a ballroom and a latin dance and their assigned routines are...

Melissa & Tony....Viennese Waltz & Samba

Gilles & Cheryl.....Foxtrot & Rumba

Shawn & Mark....Quickstep & Paso Doble

Ty & Chelsie.......Argentine Tango & Rumba

Lil' Kim & Derek....Waltz & Salsa

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #737 on: April 29, 2009, 10:43:14 AM »
I am pleased to see Melissa not out. It is an impact of the scoring system that Chuck who danced very well and scored a 26 with the judges lost out to Ty who had only a 24. I guess says that either there are more rodeo fams out there than you might have thought or that Chuck is little known and does not have a strong fan base.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:47:17 PM by apskip »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #738 on: April 29, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
Tuesday’s Dancing: What You Didn’t See

Emotional Roller Coaster: While Bachelor star Melissa Rycroft stood in the spotlight with partner Tony Dovolani and nervously waited to find out if she was going home, her mother could hardly breathe as she waited for the results. Rycroft ran to her family and hugged her mother as soon as the show ended. Afterward, Rycroft said this elimination night was very emotional. “We were backstage and I was apologizing to [Tony],” she said. “I felt a lot of responsibility as to why we were up there.”

Country Quartet: Throughout the season, country stars Chuck Wicks and Julianne Hough were often spotted chatting it up with rodeo champ Ty Murray and wife Jewel. In fact, Wicks tweeted about their recent brunch date and even posted a pic. Turns out, the foursome go way back. “Jewel and Chuck and Julianne and Brad Paisley did 60 concert dates together. We became friends before this show started,” said Murray. So what is he going to miss most now that his fellow down-home pal was sent home? “Chuck’s a funny guy and he’s got a funny sense of humor,” said Murray. “[We’re going to] miss him cracking jokes in the red room every night.”

Mr. Congeniality: If applause and squeals are any indication of popularity, Gilles Marini is winning the contest. Before the show started, ladies crowded around the Sex and the City hottie and cheered loudly. Gilles emerged from the crowd and headed toward an empty chair. “Where’s my wife,” he asked. He left without finding her, but he didn’t stay away for long. Following the show, he returned to announce details about the Ballas Hough Band performance and Tom Bergeron’s book signing. Then he told the crowd he needed to go kiss his wife. The audience roared with approval.

Out with the Claws: As Lil’ Kim stood on the judges’ table waiting for Team Tango to give an encore performance, the judges couldn’t resist clawing at her. Literally. All three judges playfully teased the rapper, pawing at her flowing gown. But as soon as the music started, Lil’ Kim was all business.

Snap Happy: Jewel pulled out her camera phone and took pictures of host Tom Bergeron, who stopped by to say hello during a commercial break. Later, she took a photo of husband Ty Murray before Bergeron announced he was safe for another week. But there were no snapshots of judge Len Goodman, who quipped that the rodeo champ should’ve hit the trail after Monday night’s performance. But to the judge’s credit, he said he was wrong and asked, “What do I know?” Jewel emphatically responded, “That’s right!”

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/04/29/tuesdays-dancing-what-you-didnt-see-21/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #739 on: April 29, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »

Chuck & Julianne: We Want To Duet

Julianne Hough and Chuck Wicks may have time to duet now that they're off "Dancing with the Stars."

The cute couple told HTV cameras outside Jimmy Kimmel last night that they plan to make beautiful music together.

Chuck says he is going to go back to country singing and added that he and Julianne have "been writing a bunch together" and may even do a song together.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/04/73367/index.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #740 on: April 29, 2009, 01:49:12 PM »
DWTS' Chuck Wicks: "I'll Miss the Leotards and Spray Tans"

What will Chuck Wicks miss the most about Dancing With the Stars?

"I will miss the costumes," he told Usmagazine.com shortly after his elimination. "I will miss the leotards and the spray tans."

Added his partner (and real-life girlfriend) Julianne Hough: "Oh yeah, the spray tans! No, I think the camaraderie backstage."

Wicks, 29, concurred: "Everyone here is friends and that is the most important thing."

Wicks earned praises from judges for his cha-cha Monday, but his low viewer votes sent him home.

"We're sad to leave, but we had a great time," said Wicks, who improved steadily throughout the season. "I had an amazing teacher in Julianne. Not only is she an amazing talent at anything she does, but teaching your boyfriend is not the easiest task!"

Through the show, he said he and Hough grew closer.

"Being a couple and doing this, it was so many ups and downs throughout this process and the fact that our relationship was holding up through all of that was a true testament to who we are as a couple," he told Us. "I think that the main thing in this competition was that we found out a lot about each other and now we're looking forward to rooting for Derek [Hough, Julianne's brother] from home!"

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/dwts-chuck-wicks-ill-miss-the-leotards-and-spray-tans-2009294

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #741 on: April 29, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »
A funny clip about Melissa and the doctor on Jimmy Kimmel last night...

Credit to JimmyKimmelLive

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #742 on: April 30, 2009, 08:57:34 AM »
Ty's blog:

‘It was kind of a long, tough day’

Hello to the army!

It's about nine o'clock at night and I just got home to the apartment after rehearsing all day. It was kind of a long, tough day with the choreography – we have the Argentine Tango and the Rumba.

The Rumba is a really hard dance for me, but it's one that I need to do good at because it's really Latin with a lot of hip movements, which doesn't come very easy to me.

But to do well on this routine will go a long way in showing the judges just how far I really have come from week one to now.

I feel like we've got a good start on it and I think Chelsie and I keep getting better and better as a team.

Like I said, we have to do two dances this week so tomorrow we're going to work on the Argentine Tango. The good thing about that dance is that lifts are allowed and, this past week, we did pretty good on the regular tango.

Along with having double the work this week, an extra challenge in the Rumba is that I have to do 15 to 20 seconds of it solo, but I have all the faith in the world in Chelsie and I trust in the process so it's just a matter of putting the time and effort in.

I want to thank everybody for helping to get us through another week!

I know that was because of the army and the amount of support that I'm getting from all this continues to blow me away. It just seems to be growing day-by-day and week-by-week.

It sure helps when you're sweating your butt off in the practice studio to know that you have such a big group of supporters pulling for you.

http://www.pbrnow.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/4/30/It-was-kind-of-a-long-tough-day#more

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #743 on: April 30, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »
Tony's myspace blog:

Thank You!

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your support! It means so much to us.   Melissa is feeling better, we have the Viennese Waltz and samba this week.

Tony D

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=123419608&blogId=486360580

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #744 on: April 30, 2009, 11:19:13 AM »
Carrie Ann's weekly blog:

Carrie Ann Inaba blogs 'DWTS,' week 8

Week 8 has come to a close on Dancing With the Stars and Chuck and Julianne have gone home. I think from here on out it is going to be very difficult to watch people leave, because this season has had a very special feeling to it. I’ve never seen the competition so close before and because of that competitiveness, we are watching these celebrities who aren’t professional dancers come out and do things that are amazing. There are breakthroughs and breakdowns. We are seeing more injuries this season than ever in the past and I do think it is because it is so competitive out there. It’s an exciting season on so many levels and I can’t wait for next week when they start doing two dances on their own.

I wanted to comment on Chuck and Julianne….I  found their journey to be particularly interesting because they were and still are a real-life couple. Their training video packages always had a different feeling to them and sometimes were uncomfortable to watch because unlike with the other pairs, it was their personal life that we were watching. When they argued or when Julianne was tough on Chuck, you couldn’t help but wonder what their real relationship was. And I think that made it difficult to watch. Of course, as judges, we only judge what we see on the dance floor -- but the audience votes on what ever they want. I don’t think they (Chuck and Julianne) realized how much of a toll this show would take on their real-life romance. I was happy to hear that they are still together -- but Chuck didn’t thank Julianne tonight, which I found a bit strange. I am sure he meant to -- and in that last minute I’m sure they have so many things to say, so much to express. But he didn’t thank her for her love and her support. Most partners always express their affection for their partners.

I think that it took them some time to negotiate how to separate “real life” from the dance competition. The roles we play in our own personal life may not be the roles we need to play on the dance floor. Ballroom and Latin dancing is all about role playing and taking on these “personas” that are heightened and highly theatrical versions of parts of ourselves. When you are dancing with someone for the sole purpose of winning a dance competition it is one thing, but when you are actually dancing and acting with the one you love and go home to, it is a bit more complicated. Many of us dancers have danced with our significant others and many of us will tell you that it is not easy. It puts a strain on the relationship. When one person gets more attention, when one person doesn’t do the moves right, when one person is off counts or forgets the choreography, it is something you can talk about when you get home. Your partner can be sympathetic to you and your needs, but when that person is also your partner, it is difficult to “leave it on the dance floor.” I think that in the end, even though Chuck and Julianne had a very different journey than any other couple has in the history of the show, they ended up doing a brilliant job of overcoming their personal obstacles and that is what this show is truly about. It is about overcoming things -- growing up and expanding who you are. I wish them both the best in their country careers and hope that they will have fond memories of their time together on DWTS as the only real-life couple to dance together. It took courage on some levels for them to put themselves out there the way they did.

I’m glad they left on a high note, with a great performance and a breakthrough under their belt. But mostly, I’m glad that they left together with a smile and still holding on to each other.

Now, the dancing -- there were great performances, but you all saw that yourselves. That Team Tango was brilliant when they danced in unison. We’ve seen many different approaches in the team dance and doing unison can always be risky if you are not clean and dancing as a team. They did exactly that and it was a beauty to see!

It was too bad about Melissa not being able to dance. She was the captain of her team and wasn’t able to help them with the scores. I do think that had an effect on the outcome of the performance. I think Lacey did an INCREDIBLE JOB out there with Tony -- with little to no time to learn the dance -- but in the end I think that her performance in the number hurt the celebrities who came after her. She almost outshone the others…we didn’t judge Tony and Lacey, but their performance affected the dynamic of the number as a complete showcase of teamwork. It threw off the balance of the performance, I think. Also, the end of the group mambo was a bit odd. I did laugh and found it cute and enjoyable, but at this stage when the competition is SO TIGHT, you would think they would have put forth their absolute best effort to do a great performance and not go for camp. But this is what makes the competition so fascinating.

The professional dancers surprised me last night. I was particularly impressed with Mayo. His height could have been a hindrance but instead it only made his high-octane jive larger than life! He really showed us that he could do both Latin and Ballroom and do both very well! Len made that comment but we all thought it -- that we didn’t think he could do Latin. But he proved us all wrong and I congratulate him for it. Afton did a great job working with Genya on the quickstep -- he was up to par, but Afton stood out to me in that number. She is polished and a great teacher -- it was proven in that performance. Anna is a beautiful girl and a really well-rounded and entertaining dancer. This is going to be a tough one to call…Next week will be the real test. They will have to dance with a celebrity partner and create the choreography. I think that is when the real judging begins. Just because you can dance well does not mean you will make a good partner on our show. You must be able to lead but know when to fall into the background so your star can shine. You must know how to choreograph performances that will highlight your celebrity’s talent and hide their flaws. You must be their support system and friend through all of the ups and downs. You must coach them on their performance and be the shoulder for them to cry on when the judges are tough…It is not easy on this show. The professional dancers have it rough and are the unsung heroes of our show. They work so hard to make their celebrities look good. And yet they will never be the "stars" of "dancing with the stars" -- they will always be the professional dancers. But that is an honor that is really worth applauding. Here’s to the pros! I salute you all.

Okay, one last thing before I go. The auction closes today for my DWTS Experience Package on www.clothesoffourback.org, and I wanted to thank everyone who bid on the package. The money raised will be going to the Andrea Rizzo Foundation to help children with Cancer and special needs have access to Dance and Movement Therapy to help them regain their sense of self and control over their bodies. It is a wonderful charity and I want to thank my mom for inspiring me to get more involved in charity and giving back.

Remember to have fun in life and enjoy.

And don’t take things too seriously -- remember, we are a reality show whose trophy is a small disco mirror ball. It was always meant to make people smile and to be fun, not to make people upset and be cruel. So, smile and stay positive. We are going through rough times, but it doesn’t help to be negative with each other. We can disagree without being disagreeable.

Have a beautiful week and we’ll see you Monday!

Until then, take care of yourselves.
Carrie Ann

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/04/carrie-ann-in-3.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #745 on: April 30, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »
Julianne Hough Not Returning to Dancing Next Season

Chuck Wicks and Julianne Hough’s elimination Tuesday from Dancing with the Stars came as something of a surprise. What’s not so shocking is the fact that Hough won’t be coming back to the ballroom, at least not for season 9.

“I’m not doing next season,” Hough told Access Hollywood following the couple’s ouster. “I’m gonna take one off.”

Hough, 20, hadn’t planned on returning to Dancing for season 8 — until the show’s producers enticed her back by pairing her up with her real-life boyfriend Wicks, 29.

Though the couple was disappointed to leave the show, Hough is already looking forward.

“We definitely went further than anticipated. I think he could have made it a little bit further,” she told Access. “But you know what? It’s the name of the game and it’s about fan base and hopefully our country fans will follow us into music.”

In fact, Hough is wasting no time in getting back to the music. She hits the road to perform in Hidalgo, Texas, May 9, and has tour dates throughout the rest of the summer.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/04/30/julianne-hough-not-returning-to-dancing-next-season/

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #746 on: April 30, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
will what is the latest on u r girl mellisa?? i can't amagin dancing with broken any thing let alone ribs.omg..she must have quite the folling though i am so glade they r in another week, but 2 dances omg how is she going to do it , i guess the waltz she won't have to move to much upper body, but the rumba well tony is a great coreigrofer sp sry. so he will get her trew this if any one can and yes he looked sooo sad on monday night..i hope he doesn't feel responsable for 2 fallen contestants..
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #747 on: April 30, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »
Reality Freak Will,

I think you have confused "8th celebrity to be voted off" with "8th place finish" in your caption above. Chuck Wicks was the 8th Celebrity to be voted off and he finished in 6th place! You might want to fix the caption for accuracy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:39:48 PM by apskip »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #748 on: April 30, 2009, 06:47:51 PM »
Reality Freak Will,

I think you have confused "8th celebrity to be voted off" with "8th place finish" in your caption above. Cuck Wicks was the 8th Celebrity to be voted off and he finished in 6th place! You might want to fix the caption for accuracy.

I did not type that. I just copied and pasted it from the original article. Which post was that. I didn't notice the error. Let me know and I'll glady modify it. Yes, Chuck is the eighth celebrity to get eliminated.

1. Belinda
2. Denise
3. Holly
4. Steve W.
5. David
6. Steve-O
7. Lawrence
8. Chuck

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #749 on: April 30, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »
Jewel to Melissa Rycroft: Dance While Injured or Leave

Jewel has a simple message for injured contestants on Dancing with the Stars: “If you’re too hurt to compete then you can’t compete.”

“I think the rule about ‘judging a rehearsal if the person is too injured to perform’ was weird both times they have used it,” the singer, who backed out of season 8 of the competition due to a knee injury, writes on husband Ty Murray’s MySpace blog.

The rule — which states that a contestant too injured to compete on the live show will be judged on their rehearsal footage — was put into practice when Steve-O hurt his back and on Monday when Melissa Rycroft suffered a rib injury.

“As bad as I felt for Melissa, who I hope feels better and comes back, I’m used to our cowboy athletes that live by the rule: ‘ride hurt or don’t get a score,’” Jewel writes. “It may seem harsh, but it seems like the only way to keep things honest.”

“But,” she adds, “if I were to be on the show I might change my mind. Hahah!”

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/04/30/jewel-to-dwts-melissa-rycroft-compete-or-dont-get-scored/