Author Topic: Saddest eliminations  (Read 117329 times)

Offline ch_2836

• RFF Not So Newbie
Saddest eliminations
« on: July 22, 2008, 02:48:03 PM »
I remember these as the saddest eliminations, where the teams were just gutted to be leaving the race...

Nancy & Emily - season 1
Carissa Gaghan - season 8
Lisa & Joni - season 9
Dustin & Kandice - season 10

...any others?

Offline sunnyca

• RFF Full Member
Re: Saddest eliminations
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »
Interesting one!
Where teams were gutted:
Millie and Chuck TAR4
JonVito and Jill TAR11 (they didn't see it coming)
Lorena and Jason TAR12
Monica and Joseph TAR9

Where I was gutted!
Bowling Moms TAR5 (i'm sure they were too!)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:27:58 PM »
I know that few will agree with me on either one of these, but here goes:

AR2 - Wil and Tara get beat my 10 seconds af the Finish Line because Tara can't run like Chris and Alex and loses their lead in a footrace.

AR5 - The meanest bad breaks ever occur when Colin and Cristie, who finished the previous leg 4 hours ahead of a totally undeserving Chip and Kim, face a fog delay, then find an airline availability issue but could have overcome that if it was not for an American Airlines checkin agent giving them bad advice about sending their bags(same thing happened to Nicole and Brandon; due to U.S. post-9/11 restrictions). Then arrangements for pickup at DFW airport are undercut by the limo having to drive on the apron of a congested highway, suffering a flat tire(not shown on TV) and losing by about 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:42:31 PM by apskip »

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:10:53 PM »
Apskip

I wasn't bothered by Wil & TAra losing.  After all a big part of the race is being able to move from place to place quickly.  That includes traveling through self navigation, public transportation and physical ability.  That episode featured all of the above.

Now we can certainly argue that the final leg of the race (with the exception of season 8 and 12) are all designed to make it close with equalizers usually in multiple points of that leg (typically most have one towards the beginning).  But unlike some seasons Wil & Tara weren't ahead for most of that full leg, So they actually benefitted from mid episode bunching.  I am more bothered by things like season 9, where a team is in the lead at every point, but lose at the final task.  That bothers me.  At least in season 12 (again because I love the format of that ending) you won or lost all due to your own ability.  As much as I disliked Ron, I would be upset for him (and Christina) if after leading the whole leg, all teams got bunched up to fly to another country (or state).

As for Colin & Christie, yeah that bothered me.  While I didn't like their breakdowns (especially as they directed it at not only themselves or other racers, which I don't judge nearly as harshly) but at service personal and locals (that does piss me off), they raced consistently the strongest for their season (and one of the strongest ever).  While it is true that they could have slept at the airport (which most teams do on the final leg), to see this team as well as Brandon & Nicole (who were consistently better racers then Chip & Kim) get killed by a weather delay and checking baggage really hurt.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:08:44 PM »
mswood, my recollection is that all 3 AR5 finalist teams stayed at a Calgary Airport hotel in one suite. This has no bearing on the sadness of it.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:57:47 PM »
Apskip sorry I wasn't clear.  I didn't mean that Chip & Kim didn't go to a hotel as well.  I meant that in several other seasons (and possible because of what happened here), you see teams staying at the airport that night.

I wasn't saying that Chip & Kim would stay all night at the airport (they just had great luck on a leg that they raced fairly poorly on). 

But camping out at the airport (and even then I couldn't understand it throw your belongings away keep a carry on and nothing more).  Would have allowed this team (and Brandon & Nicole to manage the same flights.

But I hated seeing Chip & Kim (who I liked more) win on a leg where they sucked....

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 11:12:58 AM »
Hmm...

Jon/Al (TAR4)
Bowling Moms (TAR5)
Lena/Kristy (TAR6)
Gaghans (TAR8)
Ann/Diane (TARA2)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
I agree with the ones posted above, Lena & Kristy were the first team to come to my mind then Derek & Drew TAR3, I was screaming at the tv as if they could hear me to go back for the clue they missed right along with Flo, I cried when they were eliminated and it instantly made me pull for Flo to win because I felt her sadness.

Gaghans :yes:
Lisa & Joni :yes:
Bowling moms :yes:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »
Lena & Kristy (Season 6)
Brian & Greg (Season 7)
David & Lori (Season 9)
Dustin & Kandice (Season 10)
Kellie & Jamie (Season 10)
John Vito & Jill (All Stars)
Lorena & Jason (Season 12)
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline ch_2836

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »
also

Fran & Barry - season 9

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 02:19:31 AM »
Sue and Patrick?
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 03:10:47 AM »
Sue and Patrick?
eww they were vile

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 07:25:11 AM »
Hmm...

Jon/Al (TAR4)
Bowling Moms (TAR5)
Lena/Kristy (TAR6)
Gaghans (TAR8)
Ann/Diane (TARA2)

I have taken a second look at this issue. I have to rate ZachAttack's list the best one I've seen. Jon and Al's elimination as a result of that fog delay from Seoul to Brisbane. The Bowling Moms were the victim of the greatest feat in the history of the Amazing Race - Colin scalling the El Nido cliff in record time to overtake them. Lena and Kristy were the victim of a luck-based task (although Peach has indicated that they missed some envelopes; I looked for such a judgment at the time and never saw one). I still consider them tragic heroines. The red coffee bean task whose completion eluded Tammy Gaghan was also tragic as the best team in AR8 was gone later that leg in Costa Rica.

I have to take exception to Ann and Diane from ARA2. They were a bad joke as far as I could see, continuously creating great emnity from ALL of the other teams. There had to be a reason even though none was shown on camera.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:10:48 AM by apskip »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 10:09:39 AM »
I have to think about my list. There are quite a few. I like the lists we have thus far.
Just here to visit.

Offline sayurkangkung

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
Jon & Al, Bowling Moms, Gaghans, Lisa & Joni, Fran & Barry, Dustin & Kandice, Uchenna & Joyce, Oswald & Danny, Lorena & Jason.

Offline Hi-Fi

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 10:09:11 AM »
Hayden & Aaron. Competent racers. That key challenge must have been the worst thing ever after the cab nightmare. She could be a pain sometimes, but she wanted it so much. I was really sad when Adam & Rebecca made it and they did not.

However, the proposal made it all good!  :tup:

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »
My picks for the saddest eliminations are as follows:

1.  Hope & Norm, Season 2
2.  John Vito & Jill, Season 5 & All-Stars
3.  Jon & Al, Season 4
4.  Lena & Kristy, Season 6
5.  The Gaghan family, Season 8 (especially since the Weaver family could've been eliminated that round)!

Belle Book

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »
For me:

S1 - Momily (Nancy & Emily)
S2 - Oswald & Danny
S3 - John Vito & Jill
S4 - Steve & Dave
S5 - Charla & Mirna (I liked them then. I wised up to them, thankfully)
S6 - Kris & Jon (I know it was the finale, but I really liked them!)
S7 - Meredith & Gretchen
S8 - The Gaghans
S9 - Fran & Barry
S10 - (tie) Duke & Lauren, Dustin & Kandice
All Stars - Oswald & Danny (again!)
S12 - Kynt & Vxysin
Just here to visit.

Offline ch_2836

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »
one more to add...

just been watching some of season 5 and the elimination of father and daughter Jim & Marsha should be included

Offline TheScandinavianAmazingR.

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Best Survivor ever.............Ozzy
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 08:17:15 AM »
My Top 3:

1. Dustin & Kandice TAR 10
2. Jon & Al TAR 4
3. Lena & Kristy TAR 6

Offline beau_30

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • STEWIE GRIFFIN FOR 2008!!
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 11:54:55 AM »
1) Emily & Nancy (TAR1)
2) Jon & Al (TAR4)
3) Brian & Greg (TAR7)
4) The Gaghans (TARFE)
5) Dustin & Kandice (TARALLSTARS & TAR10)
6) Danny & Oswald (TARALLSTARS)
7) Ken & Vyxn (TAR12)
"The only Thing to Fear, Is Fear Itself"

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 02:44:37 PM »
There are several that bothered me (not that they weren't far but just because I wanted to see them continue).

Season 1:  Really wasn't emotionally bothered by the elimination order here.  I mean sure I loved Nancy & Emily, but they generally weren't that good of racers.

Season 2:  Mary--Wasn't bothered by Peach, but to see Mary try and try to keep her sister going and know she couldn't continue, that hurt.  Oswald & Danny who were beat far and square but I liked them.
Season 3:  Derek & Drew, completely their fault, but that hurt.
Season 4:  Amanda & Chris one of the few early outs that I really, really liked. 
Season 5:  Dennis & Erika (nice guys did finish last), Jim & Marsha, and the Moms.  Boy their shrieking annoyed me but those gals gave everything.
Season 6:  Avi & Joe (why couldn't have been Adam & Rebecca or Jonathug & Victoria), Hayden & Aaron (Sure she could be annoying, but I really liked him and they certainly were better then Adam & Rebecca) and of course Lena & Christy.
Season 7:  Brian & Greg (I loved those goofs), and I hated to see Debbie & Bianca (Ask for direction next time damn it).
Season 8:  Gaghans...Why oh why couldn't this team made the final three over the weavers.  And Brook, for having to put up with his father.  That really, really bothered me.
Season 9:  Dave & Lori because, they were in love...
Season 10:  Dustin & Kandice, wanted them to be final three and lose.  Oh well there is always next season..he,he
Season 11:  John Vito & Jill
Season 12:  Kynt & Vyxsin and Lorena & Jason.

Nuala

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 04:57:52 AM »
Well since this is my first time watching past the first show.....my saddest elimination was Mark and Bill.  They were troopers, funny, and worked hard.  They flubbed up but didn't beat themselves up about it.  You can tell these 2 are true friends.  I hope to see them again on TV.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 06:43:33 PM »
DUSTIN AND KANDICE.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 11:37:43 PM »
I'll add Mark & Bill to my list for sure.