Author Topic: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation  (Read 540766 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation (spoiler summary page 1)
« Reply #250 on: July 20, 2008, 02:18:24 PM »
As I neared completion of the work below, the prior post from Peach indicates that the whole notion of arrival on May 31 is wrong. That makes the information below valuable only for reference purposes as it is moot for ARA3.

Below is the list of places you can fly from Singapore to on Saturday May 31 and return on Sunday June 1 prior to the sighting in Singapore airport that afternoon. I developed it by looking at the main airlines serving Singapore and trying to figure out which ones have flights of under 2 hours from Singapore (and presumably back to Singapore) for those days of the week. I analyzed the route map of Singapore Airlines to come up with Kuala Lumpur and Penang:

SIN KUL 3 one hour flights departing 0710 to 0950
KUL SIN many flights 0805 to 1200

SIN PEN SQ182 0805 or SQ5652 1105 1230
PEN SIN SQ191 1025 1150 or SQ5653 1315 1435

Silk Air adds Phnom Penh, Phuket, Langkawi, and Medan:

SIN PNH MI602 0800 0855
PNH SIN MI841 0950 1250

SIN HKT MI642 0805 0955 or  SIN HKT MI754 1115 1305
HKT SIN MI753 1455 1740

SIN LGK MI362 0840 1005
LGK SIN MI9337 1530 1700

SIN MES MI292 0730 0755
MES SIN MI233 0840 1105

When you add in Malysian Airlines you get a lot less than expected. Malaysian's route system centers on its hub in Kuala Lumpur, so going anywhere else except Penang cannot be done in under 2 hours. Malaysian Air does have several morning flights to add to the Singapore Penang route and about 4 each way between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

I also went to Jet Airways but did not come up with much as their international routes are primarily designed to bring people to India. I know there are many more international airlines that fly to Singapore, but my criteria makes it impossible for places not in Malaysia or Indonesia to qualify (except for southern Thailand and southern Cambodian places like Phuket and Phnom Penh).

So, what does all this mean? The places above represent the resonable universe of cities that ARA3 could have flown to from Singapore on May 31 and arrived back from to Sinapore Changi Airport in time June 1 for an afternoon sighting before ticketing for Cochin.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:01:59 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2008, 02:23:41 PM »
Peach,

The only Cathay Pacific flights departing HKG for SIN on Sunday mornings are CX717 0850 1230 and CX739 1120 1505. There are several Singapore Airlines flights.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »
thanks apskip!

The flight that Trish and Geoff  were on was  Cathay Pacific # CX739 which departed HK approx 11:20 AM on June 1, according to Aravind.

What flights the trailing teams would have to take is what we could use now.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2008, 04:45:40 PM »
Those flight possiblities for th afternoon departures that arrive before 800pm are:

CX711 415pm
CX735 215pm
SQ863 130pm

All take about 3 hours 40 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:25:42 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2008, 04:51:51 PM »
Perfect, thanks! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2008, 11:49:44 AM »
Just when you think there are no more spoilers  :sucks
May 25, 2008 (data:DateTime : 2008:05:25 15:53:22 )

The Amazing Race being shot at the imperial city. That chick took herself mad seriously.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:17:02 PM by puddin »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
That is one day ahead of what my Timeline indicates for Hue. That means that my assumption of an extended pitstop in Saigon is incorrect. Instead, leg 4 will end with a regular pitstop to be finished the morning of May 25 and leg 5 will begin with a flight SGN HUE Vietnam Airlines250  0700 0820  or Vietnam Airlines252 1130 1250.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »
UPDATED ARA3 TIMELINE (and then modified July 23 and 24)

Note that there should be an extended pitstop in Vietnam. It can't be in Saigon due to the latest findings about teh Imperial City being visited May 25, so it should be in Hue(where I place it below) or in Hanoi (an alternative not shown but obvious if there is not one in Hue).

May 19 Beijing - start of ARA3; pitstop

May 20 leg 2 begins; teams spotted in Beijing airport before 935am and then mid afternoon at Khao San Road in Bangkok

PEK BKK TG675 0830 1215  connecting in Bangkok to TG116 BKK CNX 1715 1825

May 21 Bankgkok tasks and pitstop

May 22 leg 3 begins; logical flights BKK CNX are:

TG102 0755 0855
TG104 1030 1140
TG616 1220 1330
TG110 1240 1350

tasks in Chiang Mai region; pitstop

May 23 leg 4 begins; CNX BKK TG103 0945 1055 connecting Bangkok to Bkk SGN AF164 1325 1450
tasks in Saigon(Ho Chi Minh City); NOTE that this is a speculative leg since we do not know where leg 4 is yet. However, Saigon is the only really logical spot on the air routes between Chiang Mai and Hue(Hanoi is another but north of Hue and likely to be aftter it in the ARA3 leg order). 

May 24 tasks; Saigon area pitstop begins

May 25 leg 5 begins;  VN250  0700 0820 SGN HUI or VN252 1130 1250;
sighting at Imperial City;
there could be an extended pitstop in the evening

May 26 pitstop continues

May 27 begin leg 6 Hue to Hanoi; NOTE that Hanoi is speculation on my part. it makes eminent sense based on the geography and timing, but there are other possiblities of much lower probability that could have been the desintation of leg 6(an example being Guangzhou, China)
VN244 HUE HAN   1210 1320
tasks; begin pitstop

May 28 begin leg 7 Hanoi to Hong Kong
VN790 HAN HKG 1105 1355 or
VN792 HAN HKG 1910 2000
tasks in Hong Kong

May 29 complete tasks in Hong Kong with TBC; begin leg 8 in Macau after taking hydrofoil in under 1 hour

May 30 Macau tasks; pitstop

May 31 begin leg 9; return to Hong Kong Airport by hydrofoil; fly to Singapore. most probable flights are CX717 0855 1230 or SQ857 1030 1410 or CX739 1120 1505
tasks in Singapore area, then start pitstop

June 1 begin leg 10
SilkAir468   SIN COK 2020 2215

You should believe whichever version you find to have the best thought process behind it.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:04:25 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
Apskip, again, please remember that our "sighting" in Saigon is for MAY 21, not the 24-35. There is no evidence for Saigon at any other time, and the sighting on May 21 may or may not be our race. Perhaps you could reconsider those dates?

If there is an extended pitstop in Chiang Mai, then the dates in Hue fit perfectly without Saigon on the 24-25.

And also again, there is no evidence for Hanoi other than geographic proximity--no sightings, no photos, no clues, no blogs...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2008, 10:45:16 PM »
Where does the blogger live? If it's the U.S. or Europe, would a trip to Hue create a large time-spread between camera-clock time and actual time? (Assuming: 1, the camera clock was set correctly when she left; 2, she didn't reset)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2008, 11:16:34 PM »
She lives in Singapore, Slowhatch.  :waves:

Wait, the original blogger lives in Singapore....this blogger has been teaching in Viet NAm for some time...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »
Apskip, again, please remember that our "sighting" in Saigon is for MAY 21, not the 24-35. There is no evidence for Saigon at any other time, and the sighting on May 21 may or may not be our race. Perhaps you could reconsider those dates?

If there is an extended pitstop in Chiang Mai, then the dates in Hue fit perfectly without Saigon on the 24-25.

And also again, there is no evidence for Hanoi other than geographic proximity--no sightings, no photos, no clues, no blogs...

Peach, I interpret the information from the Q bar sighting totally differently from you and I have stated so in this thread previously.
To me the Saigon sighting in the time frame of May 23 or 24 is what was indicated, so I have no problem sticking with Saigon in my timeline until there is adequate information to change that. There is no adequate information that I have heard, so we will just have to diagree on that.

Amazing Race Asia3 hasn't got 4 days to take between arrival in Chiang Mai and arrival in Hue for only one pitstop/leg.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:24:01 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2008, 03:30:46 PM »

Peach, I interpret the information from the Q bar sighting totally differently from you and I have stated so in this thread previously.
To me the Saigon sighting in the time frame of May 23 or 24 is what was indicated, so I have no problem sticking with Saigon in my timeline until there is adequate information to change that. There is no adequate information that I have heard, so we will just have to diagree on that.

Amazing Race Asia3 hasn't got 4 days to take between arrival in Chiang Mai and arrival in Hue for only one pitstop/leg.

Apskip, remember when we first got that blog we couldn't tell when the sighting was? So we speculated that it could have been any time between May 21 and June 1--and we thought then that the 23-24 looked good??

But since then the blogger herself said she saw teams at the Q-bar on May 21 between 10-11 PM  NOT May 24-25!! That's pretty adequate info to me....   (if this is indeed our race which is possible but not photo confirmed).

MAY 21 info HERE
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #263 on: July 23, 2008, 04:27:51 PM »
Peach, if the Saigon sighting was May 21 then what prevents the Chiang Mai sighting on that date from being less reliable than the Saigon sighting?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #264 on: July 23, 2008, 04:46:24 PM »
I don't know anything about a May 21 Chiang Mai sighting?

It is for May 22:

May 22 Chiang Mai, Thailand (Blog mention of 3 teams spotted in airport)
           source: BLOG  Posted HERE   Thanks to puddin!
           blogger confirmation HERE

puddin's links are broken on page 1 but she has all the dates correct. I'll repost my list sometime in the next couple of days w/ the updated links (as soon as work allows)....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #265 on: July 23, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »

It is for May 22:

puddin's links are broken on page 1 but she has all the dates correct. I'll repost my list sometime in the next couple of days w/ the updated links (as soon as work allows)....
My links are not broken as far as I can tell. Gosh I now wish we had started a timeline speculation thread for TARA3. :carryon:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #266 on: July 23, 2008, 05:05:52 PM »
??? weird...you are right puddin they are working fine now.

I'm not sure when I turned into the timeline police here? But I am not having fun. Whatever happened to "we all have a responsibility to read the thread"?  :groan:

I'll repost my updated Timeline as soon as possible with the links and all and then y'all are on your own.  I'm done.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #267 on: July 23, 2008, 05:15:43 PM »
Yeah the time line needs updating peach so when you have time I'd appreciate it :)

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #268 on: July 23, 2008, 09:32:44 PM »
I'm not sure when I turned into the timeline police here? But I am not having fun. Whatever happened to "we all have a responsibility to read the thread"?  :groan:

I'll repost my updated Timeline as soon as possible with the links and all and then y'all are on your own.  I'm done.

:kuss: Thanks peach. I definately appreciate all the time consuming "behind the scenes" work that in particular you and puddin do for TAR :thankyou:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »

It is for May 22:

Peach and puddin, you still have not addressed the question of why the Chiang Mai sightings are more reliable than the Saigon ones that you are so anxious to discard. Feel free to address this question.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2008, 10:15:39 PM »

:jumpy: :hearts: :jumpy:

Chiang Mai is for sure and one challenge was at an X-centre!

I wrote to the reporter who wrote the excellent summary of the Chiang Mai Adventure Challenge that we read about HERE. I wanted to sort out the question of whether or not that race had any filming done. Just received a response from him (thank you Andrew!!) :

Regarding the Chiang Mai Adventure race featured in our news:  no the competitors were not filmed, other than from a local camera crew who used footage from the start and interviews with competitors for a 10 minute new documentary for Capital TV, but it wasn't an 'on the fly' thing like the Amazing Race, since most the time they were in the jungle. It was a proper 'multi-discipline' triathlon type event, organised by Active Asia .

As a matter of interest the Amazing Race Asia did pass through Chiang Mai recently, it's yet to be aired and no one locally knew about it at the time except the owner of the X-Centre where part of it took place.

Hope this helps

Andrew

I'm of course hoping for more information... :angel:

But aside from that race being on 5/18 and our racers being spotted on 5/22, if the first race wasn't filmed then it rules that out as a case of mistaken identity anyway...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2008, 10:29:23 PM »
That question was addressed here.

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15379.msg310538.html#msg310538

We have two independent confirmations for that leg.

It isn't so much that we are anxious to discard Saigon --We are just trying to make you understand that the dates of May 24-25 are no longer valid. Show us how we can make it work for 5/21 as I tried to do  here and you'll have a much more sympathetic audience.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #272 on: July 24, 2008, 07:12:53 AM »
Peach:
I see your evidnece for Chiang Mai, but how does that address the question of relative credibility of the sources? Also, who is to say that ARA3 did not visit Saigon on May 23 to 25 as indicated in my Timeline? If Saigon was not visited starting May 21, there is nothing that prevents it from hosting the Amazing Race Asia3 May 23 to 25. This may be speculation on my part, but give me a more logical hypothesis (and no, extended pitstops in both Chiang Mai and Hue does not qualify as logical). There are several other places that could be leg 4 of ARA3, but all pale in comparison to the proabilty of it being Saigon.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline PeeT_Pm52

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #274 on: August 05, 2008, 09:40:44 AM »

Name : Wisa Saansaat
Nickname : Mai
Filmography :
Khon hew hua (2007) .... Hong
Khoht-rak-eng-loei (2006) .... Daeng
... aka Loveaholic (Thailand: English title)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2322798/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mai & Oliver