Author Topic: Racing Report Leg #8  (Read 6607 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Racing Report Leg #8
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:33:23 AM »
Racing Report
Amazing Race
Season:  12, Episode  #8
Title:  “Honestly, They Have Witch Powers or Something!" stated by Jennifer
Provided Funds:  $105.00 by Christina
Pit Stop:  36 hours based on the day’s tasks in India

It’s the 22cd

Teams leave the Pit Stop, the Boboli Gardens in the order they arrived*:
1.  Nicolas & Donald 10:12 pm
2.  Nathan & Jennifer 11:55pm

It is now the 23rd

3.  Ronald & Christina 1:06am
4.  Tk & Rachel 2:11am
5.  Kynt & Vyxsin 3:23am

*   And Damn, Chateau d If  :jam: was spot on, with his shadows this week, the largest variance was a mere 28 minutes, the closest was one minute off.

Teams must travel nearly 4,000 miles to Mumbai, India, formally known as Bombai (Nathan & Jennifer are you paying attention, you idiots  :groan:).   Once they land, they will make their way by auto-rickshaws (again, idiots, “what’s an auto rickshaw”.   :umn:  Your making Lynn & Alex look brilliant here) and find this newspaper stall (Mr. Naik’s Newspapers in Khar Danda, per Slowhatch   :jam: :tup:  who kicked ass this episode) where they must purchase a copy of “The Times of India” newspaper and search for an advertisement containing the location of their next clue.

The newspaper clue reads:

Travel by auto-rickshaw to Chauhan Altreation Tailors.  Additional Info:  Chauhan Alteration Tailors is located at Saint Joseph Church road, A. B. Nair Rd. Corner, Juhu.  Chauhan is pronounced as Chow-Hahn.

Nic & Don stop and use the internet to discover the earliest arrivaing flight is an AirFrance flight that arrives at 10:35pm.  They proceed to another location and use the phone to purchase tickets.    They go to a hotel and get some sleep.

Nate and Jenn head straight for the airport.

Ron & Christina go to the Pitti Palace Viva Hotel and use the internet and phone to reserve tickets on that same flight.  They then head directly to the airport.

Tk & Rachel and Kynt & Vyxsin head directly to the airpot.

Teams arrive at Aeroprto di Firenze, which “gasps”, is actually closed for the night.  All teams (sans Nic and Don) wait outside for the airport to open at 4:30am.

Once the airport opens Nate & Jenn and Tk & Rachel head to the Air France ticket counter, which is open between 5:30am and 7:00pm.  Ron & Christina line up at the check-in counter for Air France.  While Kynt & Vyxsin try Lufthansa’s ticket counter.

When Lufthansa opens they are told about a 10am flight that arrives at 1am tonight (which hello lady, factually impossible.  That would be 1am tomorrow morning).

Kynt & Vyxsin decide to go to Air France.

Nic & Don show up well rested, and get inline behind Ron & Christina.

Jenn wonders why they can’t get the flights early like the other teams.   B:)  Hello, Jenn.  See the sign on the Air France counter window.  It gives you their phone number and web address.  Perhaps trying those might help just a little.

When Air France opens Nate & Jenn manage to get the same flight as Ron & Christina and Nic and Don.

Tk & Rachel take the Lufthansa flight.  While Kynt  & Vyxsin find a different flight through the Air France counter that arrives in Mumbai at 10:50pm.

Just a note on flights:  I couldn’t find a single match on any flight that meets the arrival time in Mumbai.  But I do agree with apskip’s selection of flights, which at least match connection cities and departure times of the three various flights from Florence. 

:plane:
Flight #1:  holds Nicolas & Donald, Ronald & Christina and Nathan & Jennifer.
AF 5049 departs FLR (Florence) at 0650 arrives in CDG(Paris, again) at 0855
AF 134 departs CDG at 1030 arrives in BOM (Mumbai) at 2350*
•   Matches the departure time from Florence, and puts them on the earliest flight out of Paris that they could connect with. :word:

Flight #2:  holds Kynt & Vyxsin
KL 3135 departs FLR at 0725 arives in AMS (Amsterdam, again, and again..) at 0925
NW 34 departs AMS at 1010 arrives in BOM at 2350*
•   Departure time fits with them having the flight that departs last out of Florence, and then the earliest flight out of Amsterdam that they could connect with.

Flight #3:  holds Tk & Rachel
LH 0467 departs FLR at 0655 arrives in FRA (Frankfurt) at 0840
AI 126 departs FRA at 0840 arrives in BOM at 250*
•   Flight matches a close departure time to flight #1, is a Lufthansa flight, and then the earliest flight out of Frankfurt that they could connect with.

Teams arrive at Mumbai and leave the airport at the following times in the following order:
1.  Kynt & Vyxsin at 2230

Flight #1 was delayed at CDG (which really shouldn’t surprise anyone here.
2.  Ronald & Christina at 2305
3.  Nathan & Jennifer
4.  Nicolas & Donald
5.  Tk & Rachel at 0105 on the 24th

Teams travel to the Mr. Naik’s Newspaper stall and discover an hours of operation 6:00am to 10pm.  They arrive in the following meaningless order:
1.   Kynt & Vyxsin
2.  Ronald & Christina
3.  Nicolas & Donald
4.  Nathan & Jennifer
5.  Tk & Rachel

Teams sleep out on the street to wait for the stall to open, in India. :hfive:

When the stall opens teams all purchase a copy and scour the paper looking for the clue.  Teams find the clue in the following order:
1.  Kynt & Vyxsin
2.  Ronald & Christina
3.  Tk & Rachel
4.  Nicolas & Donald – Nic has a good plan to stay close to another team, so that they can get a clue where they find the clue, if the other team finds it first.
5.  Nathan & Jennifer – Considerable after the other teams,, and as Jenn’s complains mentions that they should have paid attention to the others so that they could get the location.  Nathan eventually is the one who finds it.

The Clue:  Teams must now travel by auto-rickshaw to Chauhan Tailor Shop, where the shop owner will hand them their next clue. 

Thanks to slowhatch the address is
Shop #4
A.P. Nair Road, Juhu Church Road
Juju
Mumbai – 400049
Phone – 022-20564303

Teams arrive at the Tailor Shop in the following order:
1.  Nicolas & Donald
2.  Ronald & Christina
3.  Tk & Rachel
4.  Nathan & Jennifer
5.  Kynt & Vyxsin (after completing the Speed Bump, they first arrived after Tk & Rachel)

Speed Bump – Perform Yoga

In this Speed Bump Kynt & Vyxsin must make their way to this Yoga Master at Daria Mahal and successfully perform a series of complex yoga posses.  When completed they’ll be able to continue on with the race.

According to interviews this took up a total of about 30-40 minutes in travel and to complete the task.

Detour – Paste ‘em or Thread ‘em

In this detour teams have to choose between 2 tasks routinely performed by workers in India.  The choice, Paste ‘em or Thread ‘em.

In Paste ‘em teams make their way to this underpass (Dadar West Bridge) then use the provided supplies to properly paste a 6 panel Bollywood movie poster to the wall.  When the advertisement is complete, they’ll receive their next clue.

In Thread ‘em teams make their way to Dadar Flower Market and find this marked flower stall, where they must create a traditional wedding garland by threading 108 flowers in an alternating pattern.  When the judge decries the garland has been properly made, teams must deliver it to this bride groom and exchange it for their next clue.

Teams choose:
1.  Nicolas & Donald – Paste, he has worked in printing
2.  Ronald & Christina - Paste
3.  Tk & Rachel – Thread, she works with flowers
4.  Nathan & Jennifer - Thread
5.  Kynt & Vyxsin – Thread

Teams arrive at the detours in the following order:
1.  Ronald & Christina
2.  Tk & Rachel
3.  Nicolas & Donald (R & C have already put up 4 of the 6 panels)
4.  Nathan & Jennfier
5.  Kynt & Vyxsin

Teams finish the detour in the following order:
1.  Nicolas & Donald – with no problem and work very well together
2.  Tk & Rachel – who also work easily together with just one minor error
3.  Ronald & Christina – who have to do it over and work extremely poorly with each other* :badhorse:
4.  Nathan & Jennifer – who bicker while working about the others ability
5.  Kynt & Vyxsin – who apparently work easily together
*   Not only does Ronald have no ability to work with his daughter, but proceeds to argue with the judge saying he lied to them.  Terrible, terrible people skills.  He is an ass.  While working on a task he simply cannot be told what to do.  Christina after arguing with her father, finally gets him to stop arguing with the judge at to step aside so that she can do the detour.  Which she manages, apparently without much problem.  Too bad she can’t race without him, as well.   :badhorse:

Teams must make their way to Kabutar Khana, a traffic Island where they will find their next clue.  Caution U-Turn ahead.

This is the 2nd of only 2 U-Turns found along the race course.  Teams may use the power of the “Dark Side”, I mean U-Turn, to slow down a team BEHIND them by forcing that team to backtrack and perform the other side of the Detour they didn’t previously complete.

Teams arrive at the U-Turn in the following order:
1.  Tk & Rachel
2.  Nicolas & Donald
3.  Ronald & Christina
4.  Kynt & Vyxsin – Who choose to U-Turn Nicolas & Donald  :killme:
5.  Nathan & Jennifer – who are hysterically funning in trying to figure out who was U-Turned.  They still probably think Nicolas & Donald U-Turned Kynt & Vyxsin.

Teams must now travel by taxi to this propane gas depot, Bharatgas Colaba Gas Service, where they will find their next clue.

The Route Marker states:
Travel by taxi to Bharatgas Colaba Gas Service.  Search the loading dock for your next clue.

Teams arrive at (again thanks to slowhatch)
Colaba Gas Service Munshi Chambers
3rd Pasta Lane, Colaba
in the following order:
1.  Nicolas & Donald
2.  Ronald & Christina
3.  Tk & Rachel
4.  Kynt & Vyxsin
5.  Nathan & Jennifer

Roadblock – Deliver Propane Gas
“Whose got a strong back and good sense of naigation?”
In this Roadblock the team members will find out how tough it is to navigate the mean streets of Mubai.  After loading one of the provided carts with 6 tanks of Propane Gas, they must peddle to the two address listed on their order slips, deliver 3 tanks to each address then take a receipt of the delivery.  Once the deliveries are complete, they must hand the foreman their 2 ORDER SLIPS and 2 RECEIPTS to receive their next clue. :rulz:

Who performs the roadblock?
1.  Nicolas – It’s his 4th roadblock, while Donald has completed three
2.  Ronald and his hernia – This is their 4th roadblock, while Christina has also complete four
3.  Tk – It’s his 5th roadblock, while Rachel has completed three
4.  Kynt – Its his last Roadblock  :lol3:   :hides
5.  Jennifer – Its her 4th roadblock, while Nathan has completed four under the evil eye of Sauron, I mean Jennifer

Both locations, Prem Bhavan and Satya Bhaven are in a housing development called Jamshed Baug, Colatia, Mumbia (again, slowhatch, any spelling errors are his, just kidding).

Teams make deliveries to apartments ranging from the 2nd floor to the fifth.  One place apparently has an elevator.  The other might not (if the local who Nicolas asked was accurate).

Teams complete the detour in the following order:
1.  Tk & Rachel – who has no problems, and of course he has a local to guide him, to you really have to ask?
2.  Nicolas & Donald – who loses his order slips and luckily finds them at the bottom of the stairs, this tasks really takes its toll on Nicolas.
3.  Ronald & Christina – Who of course, has to blame the locals, just because he is that kind of guy.  Though honestly this lifting and the tasks he has done has to be hard on his Hernia.
4.  Nathan & Jennifer – Jennifer forgets to pick up the receipt at her first deliver and would have forgotten the 2nd if the lady didn’t remind her.  She quickly went back and got the receipt before finishing the task.
5.  Kynt & Vyxsin – Kynt takes the receipts but gives the people the order slip.  He returns to the roadblock location and is told his error and he returns to pick up both order slips.

Teams must travel 14 miles by taxi to find Bandra Fort.  Towering over the Arabian Sea (how hard is it to tower over seas level, I mean really?), this 16th century (hey both Pit Stops have the 16th century in common) fortress is the Pit Stop for this leg of the race.

Teams arrive at the Pit Stop in the following order:
1.  Tk & Rachel – win a trip to St. Martin
2.  Nicolas & Donald – who had to stop on the way for Nicolas to hurl.  Good move.  Hurling on Phil, not recommended. 
3.  Ronald & St. Christina – I mean seriously, I would have committed murder, and dumped his carcass in any number of secluded locations along the race.  Hey, Christina, it’s not to late.
4.  Nathan & Jennifer – I hope you know how lucky you were.  On the Brightside compare this reaction to the one in Croatia.  At least we got more then a cold handshake. :meow:
5.  Kynt (his real first name, who knew) & Vyxsin – who are sent to Goth heaven :dontgo: :dontgo:  :boot:   :hosed

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:56:10 AM by puddin »

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing Report Leg #8
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 12:38:15 AM »
Records:

Ronald & Christina officially become the longest lasting parent/Child racing team making it to the final four.  Passing the much , much, much more popular Nancy & Emily from season one.

ANd unless we have a double elimination next leg, this season will produce the oldest racer to make final three.  Either Ronald (please God, NOOOOOO) at 58, or DOnald at 68 (I've been good I promise  :girly).

And of course, every leg Nicolas & Donald are in sets a record as the longest lasting Grandparent/ Grandchild team, duh.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 12:38:59 AM »
Oh, and it was a really excellent episode.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:54:31 AM »
Nevermind, I'm losing my brain :groan:  .

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 01:06:33 AM »
Nevermind, I'm losing my brain :groan:  .
That's what happens when you watch Big Brother.  You should do a PSA.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 01:06:50 AM »
Thanks mswood = :girly

5.  Kynt (his real first name, who knew) & Vyxsin – who are sent to Goth heaven

Kent & Jennifer that is  ;)

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 01:11:58 AM »
Puddin I have a complaint.

Why the hell do we not have a vomit emoticon?  I really wanted one.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 01:43:34 AM »
We do somewhere its :barf  as in : barf without the space.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 07:29:52 AM »
mswood, your usual excellent report. I do have one technical note for all those fans of the International Date Line. It IS possible to leave at 10am and arrive 1am the same day if you are crossing the International Date Line. For example, the trip from Taipei to Anchorage takes 15.5 hours on the clock(about half flying time and half time zone difference). If that flight were to leave TPE at 10am, it should arrive ANC at 130am. Have the plane consume more fuel and fly faster and you could get there ar 1am. Now, nobody schedules a flight like that because who wants to arrive in Anchorage in the middle of the night(few people connect at ANC to get to Asia these days as the planes are long-range enough to go from the East Coast of the U.S. to Korea or Japan or China).

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 10:14:46 AM »
Yeah, that exception I am aware of.  I lived 25 years in Alaska and have flown from both Japan, Hong Kong and Souel back to Alaska over the years so, I have had to deal with leaving one day having a long flight and still being the same day.

Which is hell on your internal clock, which just amazes me that teams ahve to deal with that so much in such a short period of days.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »
You do a great job with these, mswood.  :bunny :bunny
Just here to visit.