Author Topic: Fight Quest  (Read 6228 times)

Offline REALfan

• RFF Newbie
Fight Quest
« on: December 28, 2007, 02:53:52 PM »
Fight Quest -- which is like History's Human Weapon but seems to kick 7 times the ass -- sneak peaks tonight at 10 and then premieres on Discovery at 10 PM Jan. 4th.  Not a fighting nut or anything but saw hosts on Carson Daly and they seem awesome!  Definitely will check it out.  anyone know anything about this show?

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Fight Quest
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:14:54 AM »
Thanks REALfan I will definitely watch it.

FIGHT QUEST

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/fightquest/fightquest.html

Some guys like to fight. The rest of us like to watch.

Welcome to Fight Quest, airing Fridays at 10 p.m. ET/PT starting Jan. 4. A blend of cultural immersion and good old-fashioned smackdown, the series follows seasoned mixed martial arts fighter Jimmy Smith and 25-year-old rookie Doug Anderson as they travel the globe, adding fight styles from Kali to kickboxing to their repertoire.

In each episode, Jimmy and Doug will explore a new location identified with a style of fighting, such as kung fu in Dengfeng, China, and boxing in Mexico City, Mexico. There, after first immersing themselves in the sounds, smells and tastes of the local scene, the two guys will separate to train with local masters of that method -- sometimes an ancient art of combat, and other times a modern form of butt-kicking. After several days of intense instruction, Jimmy and Doug will each face off against a local in a no-holds-barred test of skill.

The fighting is real. The injuries are real. In the end, only the best will win.

Don't miss out on your chance to tour the world through the lens of some of the earliest forms of combat. Join Jimmy and Doug in their Fight Quest every Friday at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

DOUG ANDERSON 

Born with a restless soul and a fighting spirit, 25-year-old Doug Anderson has already seen a lot of the world.

A native of New Jersey, Anderson enlisted in the U.S. Army in 2002, and served for one intense and highly decorated year in war-torn Iraq. During his Army service Doug was part of the Rapid Deployment Force, and from 2004 to 2005, his infantry unit saw the most frontline combat of any in the war zone.

It was during his time in the military that Doug first became interested in martial arts. After building is skills in Jiu-Jitsu, Doug became a personal bodyguard for a high-ranking Army officer serving in Iraq. After earning nine medals for his wartime service, Doug left the Army in 2005, and continued to pursue his martial arts training. To date, Doug has earned a blue belt in Jiu-Jitsu, and is also an impassioned student of Muay Thai kickboxing and traditional boxing.

When he is not touring the world for Fight Quest, Doug volunteers with various civic organizations, spends time with his nieces and nephews, and enjoys drawing, painting and tattooing.

JIMMY SMITH

With a record of six wins and one loss, Jimmy Smith is one of mixed martial arts' rising stars.

In the cage, the 5'10", 175-pound Smith is known as a lighting-fast grappler who can destroy opponents in under three minutes. When it comes to facing Smith, if you're not smart enough to "tap-out," you may end up with a snapped tendon ... or worse.

In addition to his MMA career, Smith has earned a Jiu-Jitsu Purple Belt and holds various Jiu-Jitsu titles including: the Joe Moreira Tournament Lightweight Champion, Copa Pacifica Welterweight Champion, Cleber Luciano Tournament Welterweight Champion, and the Paragon Tournament Champion. Smith also placed third in the Southern California Submission Pro-Am and the 2003 Gracie Open.

Fighting is in Jimmy's blood: His grandfather was a boxer in the U.S. Army, and his father taught Jimmy the ins and outs of backyard brawling. Smith officially began his fighting career in high school on the wrestling team. While studying history at UCLA he joined the Jiu-Jitsu team and further perfected his grappling skills. After graduating from UCLA in 2000, Smith continued his martial arts studies with Team Punishment out of Huntington Beach. He fought in his first pro fight with Team Punishment in 2001, then moved to Los Angeles, where he currently resides and continues to fight professionally.

When Smith is not traveling around the world kicking ass, he enjoys spending time on Venice Beach and rock climbing at Joshua Tree National Monument.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 01:56:19 PM »
AN UPDATE FROM DOUG ANDERSON

hey the official airing of my show is this friday at 10pm on discovery. this episode is the phillipines, jimmy and i get the **** whipped out of us with sticks. and i think there's a scene in there of us eating testical soup. quality tv.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:34:16 PM by marigold »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
AN UPDATE FROM JIMMY SMITH:

I asked Jimmy his personal view on the show and would you do it again.

Jimmy's response was:

Filming the show was the experience of a lifetime and i would do it again a million times.

Jimmy
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:34:34 PM by marigold »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:37:44 PM »
.... I hope I've given enough info on the show

I asked Jimmy what is he working on now.

He responded: Just getting back in fight shape a the moment, also doing promo stuff for the show whenever they need me.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:34:53 PM by marigold »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »

FIGHT QUEST PREMIERS TONIGHT  :jumpy:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:35:35 PM by marigold »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 12:57:37 AM »
An Update From Doug Anderson

new episode of fight quest friday 10pm on discovery!

jimmy and i (mostly i) get our asses kicked in japan this time. we train and fight in kyokushin karate, a ridiculously hardcore karate style....
i left this episode with two broken bones, a concussion and a limp that took me two weeks to shake off. haha jimmy and i spent about 3 hours in the tokyo hospital dripping blood on their floors waiting for help.
it would be awesome if you guys watch, and it would be more awesome if you feel so bad for me after watching that you mail me cookies, i like chocolate chip. i'll settle for you turning your tv on though.

doug

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:29:28 PM »
Update: Doug Anderson On Fridays Episode Of Fight Quest

fight quest, mexico city! tomorrow night at ten!

we boxed in mexico city and it was the shiiiiiiit! jimmy and i train with some of the best instructors in the world, guys who trained de la hoya, the marquez brothers etc.
dude, this episode is like a rocky movie minus adrian, mickey and the fat bald guy.
we were scheduled to fight guys around our skill level, but the producer messed up and got jimmy an opponent who was a professional champion. a seriously tough guy...i'm not gonna ruin it and say what happens but let's just say i have a new co-host in the episode after mexico.

thanks to everybody who's been watching and spreading the word about the show! you guys rock!

oh and if you haven't already, add "fight quest" as a friend! everyone who approves fight quest gets one of jimmy's abs to keep. for real. those ****s are worth loot on ebay.

doug

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 05:31:36 PM »
AN UPDATE FROM DOUG ANDERSON FROM FIGHT QUEST ON TONIGHT

in tonights episode jimmy and i go to indonesia where we practice a style called pencak silat...im not sure if it's in the episode or not but i witnessed the craziest thing i've ever seen in my life there. it was a dark magic ritual known as "debuss" and it was completely insane. i don't wanna give it away but it involves rusty nails, handsaws, machettes, tender human flesh and a large dose of masochism.
you guys should for sure check out the show, besides all the mayhem indonesia was a really interesting and exotic place, and the episode overall is pretty good.(although im probaly a little biased)
once again, thanks soooooo much to everyone for supporting the show, we hear nothing but good things. you guys roooooccccccccckkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!
doug

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »
An Update From Doug Anderson

hey, to everybody who's been watching and spreading word about the show thanks so much for the support! things are going great and all the work you guys have been doing is really paying off in the ratings!! thanks thanks thanks!

This week we go to france and fight in savate, a french kickboxing style. savatuers fight in unitards which is pretty f*&^%ing ridiculous, but to make up for it those guys beat the crap out of each other and out of us. highlights of the show(as if seeing me and jimmy's junk in uncomfortable elastic packaging isn't enough) jimmy screams like a little girl and i get punched out of the ring, along with some really great fights! no way we ever expected the french to be so tough.
this is one of my favorite episodes, it's pretty funny, and the fights are great!. so check it out, friday night at ten on discovery!!!!

take care
doug

Offline NorthSouth

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 01:03:38 PM »
If you’re fans of FIGHT QUEST on Discovery Channel, the network is showing two NEW episodes this Friday night! Fight Quest: Thailand is on Friday night at 9PM and Fight Quest: India is on at 10PM. They’re also showing repeats on Wednesdays during the day at 12pm and 1pm.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »
If you’re fans of FIGHT QUEST on Discovery Channel, the network is showing two NEW episodes this Friday night! Fight Quest: Thailand is on Friday night at 9PM and Fight Quest: India is on at 10PM. They’re also showing repeats on Wednesdays during the day at 12pm and 1pm.

:hithere: Thanks for the update NorthSouth I forgot it was going to be on and welcome to Reality Fan Forum

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 01:58:07 PM »

:jumpy: An update from Doug via his myspace:

Muay thai episode of fight quest! sep 26th

hey everyone the episode of fight quest that we filmed in thailand will be airing on Friday September 26th at 9pm!!!!!!!!!
i haven't seen this one yet but it was one of the most fun to film so it should be great to watch as well. i mean as long as your into people getting punched in the face and stuff.
i guess if you're not into the whole beating people unconscious thing you could always tune in to enjoy the incoherent babble we spew between the face punchings! brain damage makes conversation sooooooo much more interesting!!
for real though it should be a great episode, so check it out!!!!!!!!!!

all my best

doug