Author Topic: BB9 ratings  (Read 3571 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
BB9 ratings
« on: February 14, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »
Nielsen Ratings Wed, Feb 13: Another Idol Moment
February 14th, 2008 by Robert Seidman

FOX again easily dominates everything, this time with the tandem of American Idol and Moment of Truth.  Although when final numbers for Truth come out they’ll be adjusted downward because it also contains the last few minutes of American Idol that ran into the 9pm hour, FOX has a bona fide hit on its hands with Moment of Truth.

Woe is Big Brother! This is where it gets interesting and I think I’ll get the opportunity to start being very critical of CBS and an industry which in general, does not seem to want to turn on the dime.  The thing is, they all want to drive the fancy $150,000 sports cars, but in their day jobs?  They maneuver like they’re driving a ten wheeled truck.

CBS has a summer hit with Big Brother.  It’s very clear, after only two airings, that it cannot possibly compete in any meaningful way against American Idol.  Indeed it could not compete with Deal or No Deal, or even the abysmal Wife Swap, which ABC will surely cancel.   The thing I am looking for is for CBS to pull Big Brother off the Tuesday and Wednesday night lineup immediately and stick it somewhere else where it has a chance.  Or pull it off the air immediately and taking a week to figure it out.

I am looking for CBS to make some kind of announcement about this before the next airing of Big Brother and if something like that doesn’t happen in the next couple of weeks I will be forced to believe that whatever it is CBS values, maximizing profits isn’t its top priority.   I can’t imagine Sumner Redstone being ok with that, but I guess we’ll see.

What would I do with the 8p-9p spot on Tuesdays and Wednesdays?  Reruns of Two and a Half Men, baby!  No doubt.

If you want some bright spots that aren’t at FOX, I suppose NBC can crow that Deal or No Deal at least gets WAY more viewers, even up against American Idol than…Jericho gets against a rerun of Law & Order: SVU and ABC can say that at least Supernanny isn’t a complete failure.  But if I was an exec at NBC or ABC, “We know we suck, and really, really suck compared to FOX, but, you know what? We could’ve sucked a little bit worse, and we didn’t!” wouldn’t exactly leave me brimming with esteem.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/02/14/nielsen-ratings-wed-feb-13-another-idol-moment/2668

See the full night’s results:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: BB9 ratings
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:28:18 PM »
Lowe's Pulls Ads From 'Big Brother'
Feb 22, 2008

NEW YORK CBS got a little taste of its own reality. Lowe's has vowed not to advertise on future episodes of the reality show Big Brother 9 because of a defamatory comment a contestant made about people with autism.

On the episode, which aired Feb. 13, Adam Janinski said he hoped to win the competition so he could open a hair salon "so retards can get it together and get their hair done."

When a cast member chastised him, Janinski said, "Disabled kids. I can call them whatever I want. I work with them all day, okay?" Janinski works for the United Autism Foundation of Florida.

John Gilmore, executive director of a group called Autism United (which is not affiliated with Janinski's organization), reached out to CBS demanding an apology following the show's airing. He also contacted many of the advertisers that appeared during that episode, including Lowe's, Campbell's Soup, Claritin, Geico, McDonald's and Taco Bell.

Lowe's rep Karen Cobb said, "Once it was brought to our attention, we decided not to advertise [on Big Brother] further." Cobb added that although the company aired an ad during the Feb. 13 show, it does not routinely advertise on Big Brother. Lowe's spent more than $400 million in media last year, per Nielsen Monitor-Plus.

"We're delighted Lowe's is doing the responsible thing. These companies are very careful about developing their brand image and relationships with their customers," said Gilmore. "Being associated with Big Brother and the comments made on the show is something most responsible companies should not want to deal with."

The network declined to respond about specific advertiser issues, but offered this general statement:

"As stated last week, we certainly find the statements made by Adam to be offensive, but believe they were countered by the immediate reaction of shock and condemnation from a fellow houseguest (Sheila). Adam's remarks would not have been permitted to air unchallenged.

"Big Brother is a reality show about watching a group of people who have no privacy 24/7 -- and seeing every moment of their lives. At times, the Houseguests reveal prejudices and other beliefs that we do not condone. Any views or opinions expressed in personal commentary by a Houseguest appearing on Big Brother, either on any live feed from the House or the broadcast, are those of the individual(s) speaking and do not represent the views or opinions of CBS or the producers of the program."

Message boards, including CBS.com's, have been abuzz with anger regarding the comment. One post at CBS.com said of Janinski: "As the parent of two children with autism, I'm simply amazed that people are so insensitive...I'm certain that he won't have his job when he returns to his 'normal life.'"

http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_display/news/agency/e3i65d2c29793cbc8e14d91daf98e0dca12?imw=Y
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline DreamWalker25

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Full Member
  • "At any rate..."
    • DreamWalker's MySpace
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »
Hi Puddin!!! :waves: Hi TL!!! :waves: Just wanted to say a quick hello since it's been awhile since I've been able to come by and post. Work has been a whirlwind but I'm back and I still love the same shows so I hope to be posting all over the place!!! :js: :jumpy: :js:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 10:09:55 PM »
HI!!!!!! Glad to see you back!!  : :wohoo:

Start posting!  :lol:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.