Author Topic: American Idol Season 7  (Read 130016 times)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: American Idol Season 7
« Reply #425 on: October 08, 2008, 02:35:34 AM »
David A:

New video blog!

Just wanted to make a quick video blog since it's been forever!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #426 on: October 09, 2008, 04:56:56 PM »
David A's Blog:

Thursday, October 09, 2008

My album is almost done!

Hey guys! We're getting close to making final decisions on which songs are going to go on the album, and it's pretty exciting! The last few days have mainly been recording still, and just finalizing the songs to see which ones will be the best fit. If you've been reading the alloy.com blogs I've been doing, then you probably already know about what happened this weekend with my brother and sisters visiting to come to Miley Cyrus's sweet 16. It was a lot of fun, and it was cool being able to spend some time with them. It was just unbelievable how big of a birthday party it was! I've never seen anything like that haha. I put some pictures up on the alloy blog, but I have some more to show to you guys too. So last night I helped out Brooke and her Husband, Dave, with rearranging their stuff in the bedroom haha. I don't think I was a whole lot of help, but it was still fun. We listened to music, talked, and... moved stuff around lol. Brooke's been in Arizona for the past week or so, so it's nice to have her back! But she's actually going to try and give me a haircut here before I leave to do some more recording. Brooke's awesome haha. We only have a little bit of time for that though so I better get going and I'll talk to you guys later!

P.S. A song I've really liked lately is Little Things by Colbie Caillat. So if you're looking for a song to listen to and you haven't heard it before, you should check it out.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #427 on: October 09, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »

Another David A. Blog:

Hey guys! Hope everything's been going well with everyone. Things have been CRAZY the last week or so, but it's been soooo much fun. I've mainly been writing (!!!) and recording, trying to wrap things up here for the album. I have a couple of pictures here from in the studio! Haha. I mentioned in my mobile message (801.386.8196) a little about writing, but I'm just going to say again how much I love it! It's been so exciting, being able to write with different writers and learn so much from them. I remember a while back when I first had writing sessions with other people, and I was pretty nervous and frozen, but now I've been able to open up and just throw around ideas. Haha. A lot of ideas may even be really lame, haha, but when you just sing a weird line or melody it can spark ideas for who you're writing with. So, if you're trying to decide what to do one day, you should write! Haha

Another thing I just wanted to say since I haven't had a chance to say something in a while is THANK YOU!!! I can't believe how well the video for "Crush" has done so far, and I'm so glad to hear you guys like it. :) It blew my mind again to see that it was #1 on iTunes, and I have just really appreciated how supportive everyone has been. I've really missed seeing everyone on tour too, haha. It was fun talking to everyone and hearing what you had to say, so I love looking at the comments posted online and the voice messages crack me up! Oh my heck, haha, I love 'em. But anyway, thanks again so much! I'm doing my best to make this album for you guys, and it's been a lot of fun! :)

David

Link: http://www.alloy.com/5/108/8115/1/ref/archive/5/56/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #428 on: October 10, 2008, 02:27:42 PM »
An update from David Cook:

TUNE IN THIS WEEKEND

TUNE IN THIS WEEKEND TO SEE ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT

GET A SNEAK PEAK OF DAVID COOK'S ALBUM COVER PHOTO SHOOT

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 11TH 2008 7PM EST CBS

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #429 on: October 11, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »

:jumpy: David Cook On Entertainment Tonight

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #430 on: October 11, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »

David Archuleta Sings God Bless America

Boston Red Sox and the Tampa Bay Rays

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #431 on: October 13, 2008, 02:40:19 PM »
David A's Blog:

Happy Birthday, Miley!

Last Sunday, I went to Miley Cyrus' birthday party. It was for her Sweet 16, so it was huge. It was at Disneyland, and they shut down the park for it. It was a red carpet event too. Well, the carpet was purple... along with a bunch of other stuff there since I guess that's Miley's favorite color... but anyway. It was a lot of fun, especially since my brothers and sisters all came down to come along since we could have guests. It's been a while since I've really gotten to spend that kind of time with them, so it was awesome.

Disneyland's definitely a happy place. They had really good food there, like pizza rolls, Asian stuff, and they even had purple sandwiches. I should have taken a picture of them or something because it was pretty crazy. So when we first got there we ate and mingled a bit, and afterwards all the invited guests rode in convertibles, sort of like a parade. I think they called it Stars and Cars? Not exactly sure. It was kinda awkward since there were people on the sidelines, and you just sat there and waved at them as you passed by, haha, but it was still fun. After that, we walked the purple carpet and did a bunch of interviews. We also had a chance to sign some things for fans who were nearby and talk for a little bit with them. When the press stuff was done, they had a concert for everyone there, and Billy Ray and Miley both performed.

Then, I got to ride the rides! We rode on the Indiana Jones ride, Space Mountain, the Matterhorn... and I guess that's it, haha. After the rides, everyone met up to wish Miley a happy birthday and to watch fireworks. So my family had a good time, and I'm glad we were able to spend some good fun time together. I'll try to load up some of the pictures I took at Disneyland, and I'll let you know about anything new next week!

David

Link: http://www.alloy.com/5/108/8178/1/ref/archive/5/108/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #432 on: October 14, 2008, 11:59:34 PM »

:hearts: DAVID COOK ALBUM COVER AND SONG TITLES   :wohoo:

01 Declaration
02 Heroes
03 Light On
04 Come Back to Me
05 Life on the Moon
06 Bar-ba-sol
07 Mr. Sensitive
08 Lie
09 I Did It for You
10 Avalanche
11 Permanent
12 A Daily AntheM

BONUS TRACK
The Time Of My Life

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #433 on: October 15, 2008, 01:34:53 PM »

:jumpy:  David Cook To Perform On SNL

It's official: David Cook will perform on NBC's SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE on November 1st.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #434 on: October 15, 2008, 04:11:50 PM »
An article from AI's site:

Big David Cook News!

David Cook will release his self-titled debut album on November 18th, 2008 (19 Recordings / RCA Records). The first single, “Light On,” produced by Grammy winning producer Rob Cavallo (Green Day, Kid Rock), is currently available at all digital music providers.

“Light On” was co-written by one of rock music’s most influential innovators, Chris Cornell, lead singer and songwriter for Soundgarden and Audioslave, and acclaimed producer / songwriter Brian Howes, who has worked with superstar rock bands such as Hinder and Puddle of Mudd.

In late September, “Light On” premiered on AOL Music’s pop culture news site, PopEater.com, receiving over 1 million plays in less than week.

The cover art for David Cook is currently available on his official web site.

Please see below for official tracklisting:

01 Declaration
02 Heroes
03 Light On
04 Come Back to Me
05 Life on the Moon
06 Bar-ba-sol
07 Mr. Sensitive
08 Lie
09 I Did It for You
10 Avalanche
11 Permanent
12 A Daily AntheM

BONUS TRACK
The Time Of My Life*

:jumpy: David is also featured in the most recent issue of Rolling Stone Magazine as well!  In the article, he explains the difference between his performances on American Idol and his upcoming album.  On the show, he went for the shock factor.  With his debut CD, he isn't trying to surprise anyone but, instead, he says "I just want the songs to kick you in the teeth or make you want to cry..."  Much of the work had to be done from the road due to the American Idol tour schedule.  In fact, David admits a lot of the work was done with producer Rob Cavallo by phone and email, so he had to really divulge a lot about himself at a rapid pace.  As David says, "It was really scary-the best analogy I can come up with is that it was like taking your clothes off in church."

David wrote or co-wrote nearly every song on the album, drawing upon his songwriting sessions with pros in the industry as well as some pieces he worked on during his bartending pre-Idol days.  As noted in the article, "A preview of eight tracks suggests that listeners can expect radio-ready anthems like the sweeping, U2-esque 'Come Back to Me,' some aggro rockers like 'Bar Bi Sol' and plenty of the soaring voice that the AI judges loved."

Link: http://www.americanidol.com/news/view/?pid=1445

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #435 on: October 15, 2008, 11:46:02 PM »
An interesting article on David Cook:

David Cook puts the finishing touches on his upcoming album

David Cook has been pretty quiet since the American Idol tour wrapped Sept. 13, but with his debut due on Nov. 18, the season 7 champ is preparing for another nonstop ride. Mastering on his self-titled album was completed in New York earlier this week, with Cook personally overseeing the finishing touches on 12 tracks, 11 of which he wrote or cowrote. Other songwriters who made the cut: Goo Goo Dolls' Johnny Rzeznik, Our Lady Peace singer Raine Maida (who's credited on four songs), Cathy Dennis (of Britney Spears "Toxic" fame), and, of course, Chris Cornell, who wrote the single "Light On."

As of Oct. 21, fans who pre-order the full album on iTunes can download the single instantly and will also get an as-yet-undetermined exclusive bonus track. As for the Idol-winning song, "The Time of My Life," which Cook told EW.com might not make the record, it appears as a bonus track on the album's official track listing. 

What's next on Cook's schedule? A video for “Light On,” directed by Wayne Isham (Bon Jovi, Britney Spears), which he'll shoot in Los Angeles on Thursday and Friday, and lots of TV appearances next month, among them: The Ellen Degeneres Show, The Tonight Show With Jay Leno, Live With Regis and Kelly, and Good Morning America. It's a good thing Cook's firmed up his backing band, which, in the ultimate gesture of hometown pride, includes two members of the Tulsa outfit he used to play with, Midwest Kings.

Full track listing after the jump...

1. Declaration                   
2. Heroes                         
3. Light On                       
4. Come Back to Me         
5. Life on the Moon           
6. Bar-ba-sol                     
7. Mr. Sensitive               
8. Lie                             
9. I Did It for You             
10. Avalanche                   
11. Permanent                           
12. A Daily AntheM*

* Of course we asked if the last letter in "A Daily Anthem" was capitalized on purpose, and were told by 19 Entertainment that it was, per Cook's wishes. Check back with EW.com for an explanation from the man himself.

Link: http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/10/david-cook-upda.html

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #436 on: October 17, 2008, 10:37:33 AM »
An interesting article:

'American Idol': David Cook heading to 'SNL'

Last May David Cook made history triumphing in the greatest upset in "American Idol" history. Now the reigning Season 7 champion is about to break another sound barrier: On Nov. 1 he will become the first idol to appear as the musical guest on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" immediately upon release of his debut album.

Cook will become the fourth idol to appear in the prestigious slot.  However, the three previous "American Idol" graduates who took the 30 Rock stage did so later in the runs of their albums or in their careers.  Clay Aiken and Carrie Underwood both appeared after their albums had been out for several months.  Kelly Clarkson appeared in support of her second album.

Cook's eponymous debut album is set to hit stores Nov. 18. He will perform the first single, "Light On," in his "SNL" appearance, which will mark the first televised performance of the song, as well as Cook's first public outing with his new band. The song is already available for download on iTunes. His publicity tour in support of the album will also include a live, open-to-the-public performance on "Good Morning America" booked for Nov. 17Cook plans a national tour early next year.

Link: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2008/10/american-idol-d.html

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #437 on: October 17, 2008, 06:51:33 PM »

David A Blogs:

Friday, October 17, 2008

Band Auditions & a trip to the dentist!

Hey guys! Hope things are going well with everyone. This week has been really nice since I've been able to spend a lot of time with family! As you might already know, I sang at the 7th inning of the Rays vs. Red Sox game in Tampa where my brother was able to come down for. After that, we had band auditions! So the band is in process right now, and I'm stoked for that. Then, I did the last of the recording earlier this week for the album so I'm done with recording! I've been home for the past few days and it's been great! Since we held some auditions and did the last of the recording here, I've been able to see them along with some friends. So I've really enjoyed my time here. I also went to the dentist.... haha. It was ok though because I'm cavity free! So it's been a nice relaxing week, and been so nice to spend time with everyone! Unfortunately I'm already leaving, but I'm sure I'll be able to spend more time with them later on. It's just exciting for the album to be finished after recording all these months. I better get going though! So I'll talk to you guys later and let you know what's going on!

Song for the day: Too Much Food - Jason Mraz. So I've been eating sooo much this week haha. I thought this song was really appropriate since I've been listening to it a lot lately, and eating a lot lately haha.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #438 on: October 20, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »
An interesting article on David cook:

'American Idol' Champ David Cook's One Wish For 'Light On' Video:

'I Hope I Don't Blow It''It's kind of out of this world,' singer says of his idol, Chris Cornell, co-writing the single.

If David Cook has learned anything on his whirlwind trip from obscurity to "American Idol" celebrity, it's that, sometimes, it's best to just sit back and enjoy the ride. Which probably explains why — despite the fact that he's standing on a deserted football field on a rather frigid (well, at least for Los Angeles) Thursday night in October — he's still got a mile-wide grin on his face.

He's here to shoot the video for "Light On," the first single from his self-titled album, which hits stores November 18. And though he realizes the video is a fairly big deal (it's directed by Wayne Isham, the guy behind Metallica's "Enter Sandman" and Britney Spears' "Piece of Me"), Cook will freely admit that he's rather starstruck by the entire process. Which is odd, considering he's the star.

"We did the first run-through, and I felt real timid because, obviously, I don't have any experience. It's not like I grew up shooting music videos," he laughed. "It's weird, man. Little things keep happening along the way that drive the point home that I'm doing something that's both insane and really fulfilling, and this is one of those things. To be able to shoot a music video is kind of rad — especially something on this scale. So, you know, I hope I don't blow it."

We suspect he's just being modest, because when MTV News was on set — er, field — at L.A. Valley College last Thursday (October 16), Cook looked every bit the pro, rocking out on the 50-yard line and joking with Isham, all while giving off an approachable, decidedly everyman aura. But that's just the way he's wired.

"I was pretty much an open book on ['Idol'], and that's how I am. For me, I take music really seriously — the stuff that I write definitely comes from a serious place — but I don't really take myself all that seriously," he said. "I mean, at the end of the day, I'm out on a football field at 1, 2 a.m. There's a very kind of absurd undertone to most of the things I do, and I'm usually the first to try and get somebody to laugh — but, yeah, I do take some things seriously."

And that includes "Light On" — a song that was co-written by none other than Chris Cornell and one that has already attached itself to the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. It's one of Cook's favorites on the album (along with tracks like the piano-laden ballad "Permanent," a "heavy riff-rocker" called "Bar-ba-sol" and "A Daily AntheM," a song he wrote about his brother, Adam, who is battling cancer), though he'd be lying if he said a lot of that didn't have to do with Cornell's involvement.

"I did [a version of Cornell's cover of Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean'] on the show, and Chris went into the media and said some really, really nice things," he explained. "And this song actually got pitched to us, which I take as another huge compliment, the fact that he saw something in me with a song of his ... just the fact that somebody of his caliber takes the time out of their day not just to mention my name, but to say something nice, it's kind of out of this world."

The video for "Light On" is expected to premiere in early November, and until then, Cook will stay busy with a string of high-profile gigs — including a November 1 performance on "Saturday Night Live." And he's already accepting ideas for his next music video, like the one we proposed to him: Why not a cameo by Cook's former "Idol" competitor, David Archuleta?

"Actually, that's not a bad idea, why didn't I think of that?" Cook laughed. "I'd make him the male lead. He'd have to win the girl, and he'd be horribly uncomfortable with that."

Link: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1597408/20081017/cook__david__4_.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #439 on: October 21, 2008, 08:53:12 PM »
David A Blog:

Banding Together

Hey all! This week has been fun so far, haha. Last Friday, I got to go to Tampa, Florida to sing "God Bless America" at the Rays vs. Red Sox game. It's been a while since I've sung that song, so it was really neat to sing it at my first performance at a baseball game. My brother got to come down with us to the game because he's a huge baseball fan, so it was cool to spend some more time together.

Then, on Saturday we held band auditions. I was a little nervous about it just because I felt like I didn't have the knowledge it takes to put a band together, haha. We had my family there and some other people to help out, though, so it all worked out really well. So I'm excited! I can't wait when everything finally comes together with the band.

Then I've just been doing more recording, LOL, which is mainly just redoing parts of songs and touching up. We've been wrapping that up, though, to start doing final mixes for all the songs, which is happening any day now. So I'm pretty excited about that too because I can't wait to hear all the songs I've been recording as finished tracks. "Crush" has been the only song that has had the mastered mix, so I can hardly wait for the rest. It's craaazzyyy!

But that's all for now I guess. I'll let you know about what else comes along.

Take care,
David

Link: http://www.alloy.com/5/108/8223/1/ref/archive/5/108/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #440 on: October 22, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
David A's Blog:

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Radip Promotions ... on the road

Hey everyone!  Just wanted to let you know a little more on what's going on lately.  Today I'm in Pittsburgh for the radio promo tour, and I just have a few interviews to do while I'm here.  It started Monday in San Diego.  I love San Diego, but I was bummed when I heard Tokio Hotel was going to be at the station I was at that same day!  I had to leave for Seattle before they got there, which was too bad lol.  They're really different but I like that about them.  So then to Seattle, and after that Milwaukee (where Mietra was born lol.) Oh and by the way she's NOT my girlfriend!  I know a lot of people still think that, but.... that's pretty much like marrying your cousin.  She's really cool and fun to hang out with since she gets along with a lot of people, but we don't dig each other like that haha.  But I got to hang out with her, Fish (the one who started calling me lettuce boy), and a bunch of other people while I had a couple of days off in Utah last week.  We all had a blast.  But anyway I'm getting off topic here...  After Milwaukee was Chicago, and now I'm here in Pittsburgh.  It's been really great so far, and I've seen a lot of you guys from the American Idol tour!  Even though I don't have a whole lot of time to talk to you guys it's still really great to see everyone.

So before the radio promotion stuff started, I had a photo shoot for some teen magazines on Friday haha, and it was a lot of fun.  Then, I went to Michael Johns' birthday party and saw a lot of friends from the tour and show.  I also got to hang out with Jason and Brooke over the weekend too.  With Jason, we had some Mexican food and watched Eagle Eye haha.  It was a pretty good movie, and it was fun to spend some time with Jason again since I haven't really spent time with him for a while.  With Brooke, she invited me to go to a store with her and we just messed around like dorks haha.  We actually took pictures of looking at the clothes and trying stuff on lol.  So I guess I'll load some up!  But yeah, we had a good time.  I guess that's all really for now.  We'll be going to Ohio next and that should be pretty cool too.  So for those of you who'll be at the Ohio events, I'll see you there!

P.S. The song I'd like to share today is Monsoon by Tokio Hotel.  I guess in honor of missing them by a few hours in San Diego haha.  It's a really cool and different song, plus they're only like a year older than me.  It's always cool when there are people around your age doing music.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #441 on: October 22, 2008, 10:48:26 PM »
An interesting article:

David Cook: On the scene at his 'Light On' video shoot

With his single "Light On" just starting to impact radio, and a debut album expected to chart big when it's released next month, is it any wonder David Cook would need a venue the size of a football field for his first video? On Oct. 16, the reigning American Idol and his newly assembled band (pictured, left to right: Neal Tiemann, lead guitar; Joey Clement, bass; Kyle Peek, drums; Cook, vocals/guitar; Andy Skib, keyboards/guitar) took to the field at L.A. Valley College to film a performance clip for "Light On." But while the stadium vibe may have felt a bit like the Beatles at Shea, surprisingly, there was no audience in sight. Rather, the overnight shoot focused on Cook, who's by now well-versed in the art of emoting for the cameras, and was purposely light on extras and volume, due to the school's proximity to residential areas.

Despite a handful of complaints from residences in the nearby Valley Glen neighborhood, the video went off without a hitch. Cook arrived at 11 p.m. and shot mostly solo footage for the first three hours, while his bandmates tried to stay warm in a makeshift trailer compound where they fully absorbed the cliched Hollywood adage, "hurry up and wait." Keeping Cook toasty, meanwhile, was girlfriend (and TV Guide Channel personality) Kimberly Caldwell, who accompanied him to the shoot.

After a couple of wardrobe changes, the band joined in and pounded their way through the song for more than a dozen takes. All instruments had to be muted during filming, but that didn't stop director Wayne Isham (Bon Jovi, Metallica, Britney Spears) from yelling to turn the track up louder, nor did it hinder Cook from belting for real (as opposed to lip-synching). By daylight, things were starting to wrap and Cook was finally let go at 6:30 a.m. Fortunately, he had the next day off, but there's little rest for the weary in Idol-land. Soon, Cook will be off to New York for Saturday Night Live and a slew of other TV appearances.   

Link: http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/10/david-cook-vide.html?xid=rss-feed-todayslatest-20081022-David+Cook%27s+video%3A+On+the+scene

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #442 on: October 23, 2008, 02:39:55 PM »
 :jumpy: David Cook on SNL:

"SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE" ROUNDS OUT ITS EXTENDED ELECTION PERIOD WITH BEN AFFLECK AND "AMERICAN IDOL" WINNER DAVID COOK

Released by NBC

"SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE" ROUNDS OUT ITS EXTENDED ELECTION PERIOD WITH BEN AFFLECK AND "AMERICAN IDOL" WINNER DAVID COOK ON NOVEMBER 1

TWO-HOUR "SNL" ELECTION THEMED SPECIAL: "SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE PRESIDENTIAL BASH 2008" AIRS MONDAY NOVEMBER 3 AT 9 PM ET

New York, NY October 23, 2008 With record-shattering ratings, countless headlines and primetime exposure, "SNL" heads to the finish line of election season, with a live show on November 1 and a two-hour election special November 3.

On November 1, Oscar winner Ben Affleck returns to host the program for the fourth time. Affleck recently received the 2007 Best Directorial Debut award from the National Board of Review for his critically praised debut "Gone Baby Gone." He first rose to prominence in 1997 alongside Matt Damon as the Academy Award winning writers and co-stars of "Good Will Hunting." Affleck's other credits include "Shakespeare in Love," "Pearl Harbor," "Changing Lanes," "Hollywoodland," "Armageddon," "The Sum of All Fears," "Daredevil" and "Dazed and Confused." Future projects include the ensemble comedy "He's Just Not That Into You" and opposite Russell Crowe in "State of Play" and Mike Judge's "Extract."

Joining Affleck and making his live performance debut since winning Season 7 of "American Idol" is David Cook. Cook's debut record, produced by Grammy Award winning producer Rob Cavallo (Green Day) is due out November 18 and is already the #2 top-selling record on iTunes. This appearance marks Cook's first appearance with his new band since his "Idol" win in May. Cook's latest single, "Light On" is the No. 1 added track at Hot AC Radio and is climbing the Billboard Pop 100 charts. His first post-Idol single "The Time of My Life" was the best digital single debut since the second season of "Idol." The single debuted at No. 3, making one of the highest new chart entries in 2008.

In addition, "SNL" will present a two-hour election themed special on the night before Election Day Monday November 3 (9:00 11:00 PM ET) "Saturday Night Live Presidential Bash 2008." The taped compilation show will highlight the blockbuster current season of political satire as well as showcase the show's 33-year history of lampooning the Oval Office. In addition, there will be new material shot exclusively for the special.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #443 on: October 23, 2008, 03:39:23 PM »
An interesting aritcle:

David Cook Crafts Heaviest "American Idol" Album Yet

The reality-TV champ taps Green Day producer for disc of rock anthems

"During the show, I enjoyed messing with people's expectations," says David Cook. "The show," of course, is American Idol; in May, Cook was the winner of its seventh season. "I'm not trying to surprise people now: I'm putting out a rock record. I just want the songs to kick you in the teeth or make you want to cry — or do something drastic, like jump off a building. I want somebody to be exhausted when they're done listening."
Making an album like that is a tall order under any circumstances — but Cook also spent the summer on the grueling American Idol arena tour. With his record scheduled for release on November 18th, that gave him only one uninterrupted month in the studio. So while Green Day producer Rob Cavallo assembled tracks, Cook checked in from the road. "A lot of it was done via e-mail and telephone calls," says the genial Cook. "I was face to face with Rob maybe five times before I got off the tour, and I had to bare my soul to this guy. But you can't expect anybody else to invest themselves emotionally in a record if you can't do it yourself. It was really scary — the best analogy I can come up with is that it was like taking off your clothes in church."

Cook is slumped on a couch in Cavallo's home studio in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley. There are at least seven Macintosh laptops in the room. On his computer, Cook is alternately playing Spore, looking up information on the Scottish band Mogwai and checking the Internet reaction to his single "Light On," which is already in the Top Five on the iTunes charts. (The power ballad was co-written by Chris Cornell and hard-rock hitmaker Brian Howes; Cook squeezes the tune for every possible ounce of drama.) But then it's time to listen to a mix of Cook's song "Breathe Right" — an epic guitar-driven rocker evocative of the Foo Fighters. Cook sits up straight, attentive to every detail.

"Is there a keyboard playing the chords under the verse?" Cook asks. "Will it sound thin if we take it out?"

"It'll sound thicker," Cavallo assures him. "We can make it dirty."

"Rub some dirt on it, walk it off," Cook jokes. "Let's take it out. It's a riff rocker. Sold."

Cook wrote or co-wrote most of the songs on the record, drawing on both recent collaborations with songwriting pros and tunes he wrote in his pre-Idol bartending days. (His old guitarist actually plays on the album.) A preview of eight tracks suggests that listeners can expect radio-ready anthems like the sweeping, U2-esque "Come Back to Me," some aggro rockers like "Bar Bi Sol" and plenty of the soaring voice that the AI judges loved. "There's a million different ways to write a song," says Cook. "This is a brand-new game for me: I'm 25 years old, going on infancy."

Link: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/23612608/david_cook_crafts_heaviest_american_idol_album_yet?source=music_news_rssfeed

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #444 on: October 23, 2008, 09:26:20 PM »

David Cook's MTV Interview Part 1

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #445 on: October 23, 2008, 09:28:49 PM »

David Cook - On the set of Light On - MTV Interview 2

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #446 on: October 24, 2008, 01:16:18 AM »
David A Blog:

Banding Together

Hey all! This week has been fun so far, haha. Last Friday, I got to go to Tampa, Florida to sing "God Bless America" at the Rays vs. Red Sox game. It's been a while since I've sung that song, so it was really neat to sing it at my first performance at a baseball game. My brother got to come down with us to the game because he's a huge baseball fan, so it was cool to spend some more time together.

Then, on Saturday we held band auditions. I was a little nervous about it just because I felt like I didn't have the knowledge it takes to put a band together, haha. We had my family there and some other people to help out, though, so it all worked out really well. So I'm excited! I can't wait when everything finally comes together with the band.

Then I've just been doing more recording, LOL, which is mainly just redoing parts of songs and touching up. We've been wrapping that up, though, to start doing final mixes for all the songs, which is happening any day now. So I'm pretty excited about that too because I can't wait to hear all the songs I've been recording as finished tracks. "Crush" has been the only song that has had the mastered mix, so I can hardly wait for the rest. It's craaazzyyy!

But that's all for now I guess. I'll let you know about what else comes along.

Take care,
David

Link: http://www.alloy.com/5/108/8223/1/ref/archive/5/108/
How I would love to see/hear David A. sing God Bless America or the Star Spangled Banner! 
His voice is so beautiful!  :hearts: 

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #447 on: October 27, 2008, 12:05:51 PM »
An interesting article:

David Cook flicks 'Light On' his new single

The first single from American Idol winner David Cook has been burning up the charts. Now, he has a new way to stoke its popularity: a lighter application for iPhones and iPod Touch devices.
Light On— which entered Nielsen SoundScan's digital songs chart at No. 8 two weeks ago — will be available for purchase from iTunes this week for $1.99 with a "lighter" application that illuminates the screen of an iPhone or iTouch MP3 player. When users open the app and spark up the lighter, the full song plays.

"There's a little semblance of rock mythos to it," Cook says. "You get a lighter during a rock ballad and nobody burns their thumbs."

Cook, 25, has had a heated schedule since taking the Idol title in May and signing with 19 Recordings/RCA. He quickly began working on a new album, a project he continued during the 2˝-month Idols Live tour, which ended in mid-September. (He'll appear with his new band on Saturday Night Live Saturday.)

"I wanted to be involved (in writing songs), and I have been, on a very base level, from the outset," Cook says. "My name will be strewn all over this."

Light On, a power ballad co-written by former Soundgarden and Audioslave singer Chris Cornell and producer Brian Howes, doesn't necessarily reflect the entirety of Cook's 12-track self-titled album, out Nov. 18. Cook's voice on the song eerily channels that of Cornell, whose version of Billie Jean he performed during Idol.

"The single is a pretty good indicator of the median," Cook says. "There are definitely songs on this record that are heavier than Light On. There's heavy stuff and soft, intimate songs. But there are also songs that really incorporate the idea of 'Keep it simple, stupid' with some guitar, some piano and that's it."

Cook's coronation song, The Time of My Life, which remains No. 1 on USA TODAY's adult contemporary airplay charts, is included — but as a bonus track.

"I really wanted to show what kind of artist I am going to be for the next five or 10 years," he says. "And I am not 100% sure that (Time) fits the record."

He says he's satisfied with the end result.

"We put together an amazing record in a very short amount of time," Cook says. "(It) attains all the goals that I have set for it. I want this record to be important. I want this record to outlast me, if at all possible."

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2008-10-26-david-cook_N.htm?csp=34

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #448 on: October 28, 2008, 10:39:20 AM »
David A's Blog:

Radio Daze

Today, I'm in Chicago, and have started doing radio promo stuff. I started yesterday in San Diego, then went to Seattle, then later to Milwaukee, and now I'm here in Chicago. Next, we'll be in Pittsburgh pretty soon, haha. Last Friday, I was back in L.A., where I had a photo shoot. The photo shoot was just for some teen magazines, like the ones I've done before. It's amazing how long it can take to just take pictures. I think I was there for like seven hours, and you'd think that pictures wouldn't take that long, haha. But it takes a while to get what you need. You have to figure out which outfits to wear, and then get in the right mood for the kind of shot you need, I guess.

On Saturday, Michael Johns was throwing a party for his 30th birthday, and so I went with Brooke and her husband. There were a few familiar faces from the show and tour, and it was nice to see them again. Jason, Chikezie, and Cook were able to go too, so it was kinda like a little reunion with everyone, haha. Sunday, we were able to go to church with Brooke's husband, which I rarely get to do anymore, so that was really nice.

Monday is when the radio promo stuff started, and so I'll be doing that for a while. That's where I go to different radio stations in different cities and just talk to them, and meet people who won contests for meet and greet passes, haha. It's been a lot of fun so far, and I've gotten to see a bunch of people who I met during the tour. I'm looking forward to going to the next cities and seeing how it goes, and I'll let you know how those go next week.

Take care,
David

Link: http://www.alloy.com/5/108/8281/1/ref/archive/5/108/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #449 on: October 29, 2008, 02:36:23 PM »
David A. update:

"THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO" LISTINGS

Released by NBC

Thursday, November 6 – Guests include Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jimmie Johnson and musical guest David Archuleta