Author Topic: Locations  (Read 129618 times)

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
Re: The Amazing Race 12 Location Spoilers/Rumors
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2007, 09:53:32 AM »
Additional observations based on recent posts:

1. GMAN, I love ya(but not the way puddin does). However, Burkina Faso doesn't get much press(neither did its predecessor Upper Volta) and what it does get should be accurate and respectful. I would like to see you learn to spell it correctly. I had to learn how to not leave out the first "a" in Ouagadougou, which I have had to go back and fix.

OK, ya got it: Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso, Burkina Faso.  Oh, hell, Upper Volta is easier.

No matter, it still is one hellva place for the teams to visit and certainly fits the category of "I had to look it up on a map to find out where it was."

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2007, 02:50:07 PM »
I'm still waiting for the Amazing Race to go to Malta  :pull

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »
GMAN, I knew roughly where Burkina Faso is, but in order to determine exactly where it is I had to look it up too. My favorite atlas is old enough that it labels it Upper Volta.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 12 Spoilers
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2007, 08:28:09 PM »

It might help you guys if you search by Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia etc.

The "Former Yugoslavia" is just that. I have travelled to there but that's all I'm helping you with, and no I won't translate!!!

Cities of Forner Yugoslavia
Belgrade
Split
Sarajevo
Pula
Ljubljana
Skopje

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2007, 09:03:24 PM »
ca bb fan says
It might help you guys if you search by Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia etc.

I too have been to Yugoslavia back when it existed.
However, the likelihood of the Amazing Race making 2 stops in the former Yugoslavia in AR12 is quite small. They have the whole globe to cover in 11 stops. I doubt that they flew to Dubrovnik from a pitstop elsewhere in the former Yugoslavia or from Dubrovnik to a next pitstop in former Yugoslavia.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:12:42 PM by apskip »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2007, 09:09:44 PM »
ca bb fan says

I too have been to Yugoslavia back when it existed.
However, the likelihood of the Amazing Race making 2 stops in the former Yugoslavia in AR12 is quite small. They have the whole globe to cover in 11 stops. I doubt that they flew to Dubrovnik from a pitstop elsewhere in the former Yugoslavia or from Dubroovnik to a next pitstop in former Yugoslavia.

Oh no, I'm not implying that they have travelled anywhere outside of Dubrovnik in Croatia, I'm just saying your searches might come up with other photos or info if you use Croatia instead of former Yugoslavia which could have older info.

Just trying to help!!!

And zdravo or dobar dan what ever!!!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2007, 03:06:03 AM »

An interesting article I read in Hello Magazine and thought I would share:

Dubrovnik is a celebrity hot spot, visited by Bono, Tom Cruise and John Malkovich, while Sharon Stone owns property there.

Link:  http://www.hellomagazine.ca/travel/2005/08/03/malkovichcroatia/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2007, 03:16:03 AM »

One more I thought I would share, U2's Bonno vacationing in Croatia, not so cool in his swim trunks. Still love his music!!!

Link to the Daily Mail: 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=408506&in_page_id=1773
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 03:19:59 AM by ca bb fan »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »
FIVE-TIME EMMY AWARD-WINNING "THE AMAZING RACE" RETURNS FOR ITS 12TH EDITION ON SUNDAY, NOV. 4, 8:00-9:00 PM
"The Amazing Race 12" Spans 50,000 Miles Including First Time Visits to Ireland, Lithuania and Croatia

My Lithuania spoiler might be good afterall!!!  :jumpy:

I'll be asonofabitch!

puddin's speculation:
long shot--Vilnius, Lithuania

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 03:56:10 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2007, 06:09:23 PM »
You don't suppose they chose those ones to announce because--oh yeah baby! we had SPOILED them?? :rat?: :luvu:   Heeee....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2007, 06:13:07 PM »
If we find Yogi we might be able to add India to the list of locations?

So with Burkina Faso added in there that 4 of the new countries so Belize could be a new country? Where else? You all are smart when it comes to this.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 12:44:55 AM by puddin »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2007, 06:16:34 PM »
Puddin I havent had a chance to look but check out youtube there are dozens of auditions for TAR12?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2007, 06:27:28 PM »
If you had any hope of being accepted as team, your audition video would NOT be on YouTube.

The confidentiality agreements begin immediately!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2007, 06:32:10 PM »

oh too bad for them, maybe next time!!!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2007, 06:36:42 AM »
With all the 5 new countries accounted for there is no room for any others in remaining legs that are not accounted for yet. In particular, the one between Burkina Faso (probable release from pitstop there July 15) and Dubrovnik (probable arrival July 18) should be in one of the following African countries:

Morocco
Senegal
Tunisia
Tanzania
Ethiopia
Egypt

OR in one of these southern Europe countries:

Turkey(part is in Europe)
Greece
Italy
France
Germany (a stretch to call it southern European, but Munich or Frankfurt anyway)
Austria
Hungary

And we know for sure that it's not Czechoslovakia.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:11:08 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2007, 11:21:29 AM »
In the same vein, the pitstops beteen Dubrovnik and Girdwood will be limited to select countries.  I think the most probable are:

Russia
China
South Korea
Japan, particularly this one because of its past underepresentation on the Amazing Race

The next tier of countries would be:

Ukraine
Turkey
Mongolia

The remaining possibilities are:

Poland
Greece
Egypt
Oman
Dubai
India
Sri Lanka
Thailand
Malaysia
Singapore
Vietnam
Hong Kong/Macau
Philippines
Guam

I think that's everything north of the equator that's ever been in a regular Amazing Race. Countries like Taiwan, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, Myannmar, Bangladesh, all of the "stan"s, and most of the Middle East will not be possible because they have never been in an Amazing Race.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 08:04:53 AM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
In the same vein, the pitstops beteen Vilnius and Girdwood will be limited to select countries.  I think the most probable are:

Thailand

I thiink that's everything north of the equator that's ever been in a regular Amazing Race.

I have Thailand hinkies.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2007, 02:47:36 PM »

And we know for sure that it's not Czechoslovakia.

Czechoslovakia has not existed for at least 20 years.  It is now The Czech Republic, capital Prague; and Slovakia, capital Bratislava.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2007, 11:38:01 PM »
Right you are, GMAN! I unintentionally misstated the Czech Republic's old name, probably because I still think of it that way.

My faith in the Belize spotting has apparently not been rewarded, as the Rule of 5 Countries and the certainty of the other 4 means that Belize is now in the questionable category. It looks like somebody has been trying to spoof or hoax us on that one. With the identification of a temple in Taiwan in the screencaps and the fact that Taiwan has never been on the Amazing Race before, it becomes the fifth country and knocks Belize out.

That also calls into question the whole legs before July 8 issue based on puddin's likelihood that the start was July 1, 2 or 3. It sure looks like it might have been July 8 based on the timetable work I am doing (more on that in the morning).

The work that Kogs has done on a nonstop flight from Taipei to Anchorage is valid, but it only applies to Sunday July 29 in the relevant time frame. It definitely does not apply to Monday, Wednesdays, or Saturdays. That means that teams would have flown on China Airlines 12 leaving Sunday July 29 from Taipei at 515pm and arrived at Anchorage after crossing the International Date Line at 905am on the same Sunday July 29.

There are 6 nonstop flights from Osaka toTaipei on July 27 starting at 1035am through 840pm departures.

The flight connection from Vilnius to Osaka would go through Frankfurt, then nonstop from there. However, since teams would arrive on July 23 and then have 4 days in Osaka it is much more likely that there was another pitstop in between Vilnius and Osaka.   
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:41:11 AM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »

That also calls into question the whole legs before July 8 issue based on puddin's certainty that the start was July 1, 2 or 3. It sure looks like it might have been July 8 based on the timetable work I am doing (more on that in the morning).

Put the blame on me if you will but I never said or wrote that I was certain. It was information passed on to me that I shared then later speculated that it might not be good info here.
not confirmed:
**Filming start date was the last week in June in Los Angeles area. Cast and crews left via airplanes between aprox. July 2-3rd

I have given good spoilers I found cast throughout this thread  which I have not had a moment to update tonight. Of course with the help of Slowhatch, peach & Kogs.
Kynt and Vyxsin
Jennifer and Nathan
Michelle & Elena?
Kiss My Femur♥/Jenn & Rachel?

plus I have other names that I have not had a chance to look at but will share if they seem right.
Also I thought you all thought I was nuts with my Lithuania spoiler but it turned out to be good.

Anything else? I'd like to go watch my videos of the commercials now :waves:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2007, 12:02:16 AM »
We have a video? :lol:

And I fell in love with your Lithuania location the minute I saw it! :kissy:

We all got a little fooled by this start--but you have been right on the money more than the rest of us puddin!

And thank you for the pretty vidcaps too! :hugs:

The good news is--think how many cell phone minutes I'll save from not having to call every other airport in America! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2007, 02:48:56 AM »
To quote a good friend of mine "A spoiler isn't a spoiler until it airs"  ;)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2007, 12:38:52 PM »
OK, puddin, if you won't let me make corrections in the Timeline Speculation thread, then here is a necessary add-on to accommodate the new knowledge that it will be Shannon and not Dublin as the destination for leg 1:

to EI144 arriving DuB 1030 July 9, add on either EI 133 departs DUB 1145 arrives SNN 1230 or
EI125 departs DUB 1300 arrives SNN 1345.

This actually fits with the historic practices of past Amazing Race first legs of having at least two different arrival times to the first destination. Teams could have driven from Dublin airport, but the flight times are close enough to arrival in Dublin to get them to western Ireland quicker, although EEC customs clearance in Dublin airport in a 1 hour 15 minute connection for the first group could be tricky.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2007, 08:47:26 AM »
FLORENCE

The proposal that Florence is a pitstop makes eminent sense. Having an icon of Florence is not sufficient, but Italy was already noted by me as one of a select group of countries which could be tapped. Also, with Venice, Rome, Bologna, Sicily and some rural parts of italy already featured the most logical places in Italy not previously shown are the Naples/Amalfi Drive/Capri area, Milan, and Florence.

A place has to make sense logistically too and there is good news there. The time slots that need to be fitted are either of:

1. July 15 from Ouagadougou to July 18 Dubrovnik
or
2. July 11 Amsterdam to July 13 Paris-CDG

Here are logical flights from OUA to FLR:

OUA to Tripoli BU756 departs 7/15 1230am arrives 0600
TIP to CDG BU900 departs 0915 arrives 1230
CDG to FLR AF5002 departs 1320 arrives 1520

Here are flights from FLR to DBV, assuming that a REST DAY occurs on 7/17:

FLR to FRA LH5067 departs 7/18 0715 arrives 0855
FRA to DBV LH2468 departs 1210 arrives 1355
Note: there is one later nonstop FLR to FRA LH4059 1010 1140, but the connection goes FRA ZAG, then ZAG DBV and arrives DBV 1635

For AMS to FLR, there is one nonstop IG3422 7/11 1020 1210
For FLR to CDG there are three nonstops on 7/13: AF5049 0650 0835,  AF5035 1015 1210, AF5041 1305 1500

It looks like Florence could easily have been incorporated onto the race route in either place, after Amsterdam or after Ougadougou. It is impossible at this point to determine which or even if Florence was part of the Race. Having an icon from a new place in the sceencaps is not an absolute guarantee even though it is a good predictor.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2007, 08:29:05 AM »
Referring the list in my post above for countries possible between Dubrovnik and what we now know to be Osaka and Taipei, I have developed some specific ideas for the 2 stops that we need:

1. The #1 city that appeals to me is Shanghai. It would be just before Osaka. Beijing, the Great Wall, Xian and Shanghai have all been done in prior Amazing Races. Cruising up the Yangtze River would have no real appeal for The Amazing Race, so the next best place left in China in my opinion would be Shanghai, with an emphasis on a trip to the suburb of Suzhou.

2. I don't think there will be any stops this race in India. If there were, the top place that has not been done so far is Bangalore and another is Goa.

3. I liked southern Russia as a possibility, but flight schedules east do not fit well so they are effectively out of the running. 

4. Next we have to look at two distinct cases, one with Vilnius after Dubrovnik and the other with Vilnius before it.

Vilnius Before Dubrovnik
This makes a more southern route likely. Only one stop is needed. I like the use of Istanbul as the connecting city for a daily nonstop flight to Shanghai, TK20 2320 to 1630, stopping in Beijing and crossing 5 time zones along the way. I doubt that Istanbul itself will be used again. I like Ankara the best. There are 7 nonstops a day from Ankara to Istanbul. Athens is second best. there are 3 nonstops a day (only one in the evening) from Athens to Istanbul. There are a number of other cities with nonstops to Shanghai, but except for Moscow they are all to the west of Dubrovnik. Istanbul as the connecting city involves minimal backtracking.

Vilnius After Dubrovnik
In this case, we need only to go as directly as possible from Vilnius to Shanghai. There are two possibilities on July 24, through Helsinki and through Moscow, arriving late afternoon or evening of the 25th.

Shanghai is an assumption, logical because of its geographic placement. There are any of over 100 cities that could have been selected for either of the slots available for the combined two cases. When evidence is available to indicate otherwise, alternative consequences can be examined.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:26:53 AM by apskip »