Author Topic: On the Lot  (Read 14346 times)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: On the Lot
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 07:20:18 AM »
I'm with you guys it painful to watch now.  What happened to their original host Chelsea Handler? She just disappeared.
 :umn:

I'm not sure, as slow as this show is, she probably died of old age.  :o
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline reedthis

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 12:04:50 PM »

[/quote]

I'm not sure, as slow as this show is, she probably died of old age.  :o
[/quote]

:lol: :rotf: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lolmao: :funny:
What We Do In Life Echoes Into Eternity!!!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 09:43:05 PM »
Following my own advice(see prior post on this thread), I attempted to view tonight's films at www.thelot.com. They aren't there yet even though they are supposed to be at 9pm, but there are ample comments on TWOP. I can tell anyone reading this that the eliminated contestant from last week was Marty, a truly deserving elimination based on how bad his film was.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 06:43:34 AM »
Following my own advice(see prior post on this thread), I attempted to view tonight's films at www.thelot.com. They aren't there yet even though they are supposed to be at 9pm, but there are ample comments on TWOP. I can tell anyone reading this that the eliminated contestant from last week was Marty, a truly deserving elimination based on how bad his film was.

Thanks for the update.  :waves:  We decided to take your advice and didn't watch either. I'll check later on today to see if they are up yet.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 12:28:33 PM »
The last 5 of the 15 contestants' films were on the website overnight. Here is what I thought of them:

Jason - Blood Borne - story was good; filmmaking was weak; overall, I give him a slightly below average mark

Jessica - the Orchard - story was interesting, although in no way a comedy; filmmaking was topnotch; I rate this above average

Mateen - Lost- lost indeed; this was suppopsed to be a black comedy, but I found the filmmaking was weak; this is a one-way ticket home for Mateen

Will - Glass Eye - reasonably amusing story, with a priceless ending; good fimmaking; I rate this above average

Zach - Sunshine Girl - precious story, excellent filmmaking; Zach is many people's pick(including mine) to win the $1 million contract; this was the winner this week

So, that's what I thought from looking at the 5 films on the www.thelot.com website. What do you think?

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Save A Horse...Ride a Cowboy
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 01:00:36 PM »
which guy is the Vancouver FX guy?  Go Canada Go!! lol if he's still around!!!
~Honesty Is The Best Policy, But Insanity Is A Better Defense~
~Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Don't Have Film~

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
ok I went onto www.thelot.com and found out Zach is the FX guy and watched the sunshine girl VERY well done....its amazing he's not already in hollywood making films!!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 06:18:18 PM »
Blood Born --I've heard that story before..and I didn't like the style of filming or the ending/non-ending (So I would have hated Sopranos too? :rotf:)

Orchard--doesn't everyone know that you are supposed to tell your trees before you prune them so they can prepare themselves??  :lol3: But the point-of-view filming was excellent.

Lost--average in every way

Glass Eye--very cute story and liked the film style B/W. But why couldn't he see without the eye? It was only glass... :o

Sunshine Girl--well done all around--nice complete story telling--loved the sun looking so real.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kilarney

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 08:22:50 AM »
This show is losing viewers in huge amounts every week.  This week's episode had just 2.5 million viewers.  That's down from a high of 8.5 million viewers. 

Enjoy it now, because it aint coming back!

Offline rockingrammy

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 08:45:23 AM »
I am so, so bummed out about this . I have been waiting for it to start. What on earth will a pirate show be about? Who wears the best guyliner??  (:;)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 10:10:54 PM »
From last week's flims, the eliminated contestant provevd to be Jessica, whose The Orchard was not everyone's cup of tea.

Here are my ratings of this week's comedies:

Shalini "Dr. In-Law" - this was an OK film with some rather obvious humor

Adam "Discovering the Wheel" - I found this very funny; it was one of the two that I voted for

Will "Nerve Endings" - if my vote for the worst film is decisive, then Will is going home next week; this was forced and crass

Hilary "Under the  Gun" - what a turnaround from her prior film; I voted for this one as a very funny film

David "How to Have a Girl" - I didn't find a lot of humor here; just enough to put this film ahead of last place

Zach "Die Hardly Working" - this one did not tickle my funny bone as much as the ones I voted for but it was a good effort

So, I think Adam and Hilary did the best and Will the worst. We'll see how America votes. One can never know until those votes are counted.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 07:24:08 AM »
i watched yesterday and actually I loved Nerve Ending and Die Hardly Working....I relate to Zachs because i'm bored at work myself at times and do fake guns.....

under the gun ....it was ok...kinda cheesy

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 09:06:33 PM »
Tonight we had the 6 horror films to watch. I do not know which of last week's contestants was eliminated, but when I find out I will post it in this thread. My comments on this week's films and filmmakers are:

Kenny "Malibu Myth" - a ghoulish surprise; I thought it was average at best

Sam "Anklebiters" - for me clearly the worst of the lot; there was no real twist here; Sam would go home if I were the sole judge 

Andrew "Midnight Snack" - this had a pretty good twist but was an average film

Jason "Eternal Waters" - coffin triggers drowning images, then there is a knife attack; pretty scary; I rated this one the best and voted for it

Shira-Lee "Open House" - ghost recommends vacating a house new to the couple just moved in; this one was average

Mateen "Profile" - once more the filmmaker I had rated lowest in the past has made a big turnaround; black motorist fantasizes being brutalizes in a police station by white policeman as a black policeman ducks away; this was the second best film and I also voted for it

So, Jason best horror filmmaker, Mateen a close second, and Sam at the bottom.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2007, 07:06:33 AM »
ZACH IS GONE ARE YOU JOKING OMG people are so off its crazy

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2007, 08:14:34 AM »
ZACH IS GONE ARE YOU JOKING OMG people are so off its crazy

I don't think he's gone yet is he? I quit watching when that horrible Hillary's movie didn't get her booted! Blech! It was beyond a groaner.  :crazy

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2007, 08:38:31 AM »
according to apskip's posting he's not on the list of the films shown...so thats what makes me wonder...that Zach guy forget the fact he's canadian and so am i....he's just the BEST one of the bunch and I'd say that if I was from timbucktoo

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2007, 08:56:35 AM »
i'm trying to understand the voting methods for this show as i've only watched episodes here or there and never a booting show...

and the website showed about 12 people not blacked out (voted off) so guess everyother week they compete? so last week I saw 6 different directors than this week? is that sounding about right??

at this rate this show will be going on forever!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2007, 09:19:31 AM »
RELAX!

There were 6 filmmakers doing comedies last week, including Zach. None of them appear to have been eliminated last night. I am guessing that next week they will announce which one comedy filmmaker and which one horror filmmaker have been eliminated and then go on with the remining 10 in the competition. It would be a total shock to me if Zach were eliminated on this round. I am predicting Canada for the win, CeeeJay.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2007, 09:45:52 AM »
I agree on Zach, he's been consistently good from the beginning. I think the biggest mistake was having 50 contestants then not whittling them down faster to say 12 then let us see how they do competing. I also was more interested in the show when they were having to go out and shoot with time limits or with other filmmakers near by and having to cope with the conditions. I tape the show, I just haven't watched the past few weeks. 

Offline Jill_

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2007, 10:28:36 AM »
I think Zach is going to win, too.  I think the best horror one was Jason's.  It was really scary for me.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2007, 12:57:58 PM »
no worries i'm relaxed! lol if i cared that much about the show i'd be watching it an knowing whats going on.

i'll watch jason's horror when i get home don't want to scare anyone at work lol.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2007, 05:35:29 PM »
I have finally discovered who was eliminated from last week's comedies. It was David, who I rated next to last. However, the audience vote for best was Will, who I rated as worst. Go figure!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2007, 12:43:20 PM »
Tuesday night's episode started with the elimination of Shira-Lee. We are now in the round of 10, with half the filmmakers competing to not be the one eliminated tonight. The films were:

Time Upon A Once by Zach - the title tells you that this film is based on making time go backwards; a couple  moving into a new neighborhood do that to reverse the effects of an accident; this was an above average film

Worldly Possessions by Adam - a globe with unique powers arrives unexpectedly at the home of a suburban couple; they experiment and find consequences beyond what they could have imagined; this was a very funny film

The Legend of Donkey-Tail Willie by Hilary - a man with a donkey tail struggles to find love until he meets his match; this was dull and boring; this was the worst film of this group by so big a margin that I will be totally shocked if it Hilary is not the eliminated filmmaker

First Sight by Shalini - a pair of sunglasses gives its wearer a new perspective on the world around her; this was a terrific film; I was too late to vote but I would have voted for this one

Spaghetti by Will - a lost driver arrives at a ghost town and tries to find someone to give him directions; a gunfighter appears to challenge him to a duel; his cell phone goes off and he throws it at the gunfighter and knocks him out with it; this was another terrific film worthy of my vote if I was quick enough to make one

So, Shalini and Will are best, Adam is close behind, Zach has done fine, and Hilary's film is a loser. This week we have seen the average quality of the films sharply increase.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:31:57 PM by apskip »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
I'm not impressed with Hilary at all, I was shocked that she survived last go round! I truly hope she goes next week.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2007, 07:44:14 AM »
Justice was partially served. Hilary was eliminated from last week's contestants. Shalini was also eliminated and I did not think that was justified.

This week, my summary is WOW! 5 films were all winners. It will be tough to choose one filmmaker who deserves elimination, as I don't think any of them do. It is clear that the filmmakers have raised their performance as they are continuing in the competition. I think a major reason is access to better scripts that allow them to shine. Here is my recap:

Sam "Key Witness" A witness escapes a bounty hunter with "magic" after a harrowing chase by 3 thugs with guns. I thought this film was brilliant.

Mateen "Catch" A scheme by a con woman to trap an unexpecting mark is turned around as he is a policeman and she is the victim. This film is excellent.

Kenny "The Loser" A bald man with no experience but a knowledge of physics replaces his hurt son in an extreme downhill skateboard race is the victim of and giver of several tricks to his opponent on the way down the course. Dad loses but his racae was unexpectedly competitive, his son is happy, and a babe invites him to call her sometime.  Another excellent film.

Jason "the Sweet" With 15 minutes before his wife's arrival home, a man rememberts it is their anniversary. He hurries out to get a present. On the way he has to do several herculean rescues. He buys her favorite flowers and gets back just in time. She appreciates his effort, but she is hurrying out as the film ends.  This film is very good.

Andrew "Zero2Sixty" A fugitive is being hunted by an FBI agent and steals a car from a dealership. The agent comendeers the first car he sees and the car salesman comes with it. the salesman is using all his sellling points on the agent as he is chasing the other vehicle. When the salesman runs out of points, hs borrows the agent's gun, shoots out the tire ahead, makes the collar, and then asks the agent what financing is needed for him to buy the car. the agent responds "How about cash?" This is another brilliant film.

All 5 films had incredible motion and all filmmakers did a fine job of setting up those scenes and directing that motion. It is regrettable that one has to lose, but I would pick Jason as the least good of 5 really good films. Since there will be a second elimination, I cannot decide between Kenny and Mateen.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:34:51 AM by apskip »