Author Topic: EP11: "Good Doing Business with You."  (Read 228936 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP11: "Good Doing Business with You."
« Reply #325 on: April 18, 2007, 06:57:58 PM »
I was out shopping and got sidetracked..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #326 on: April 18, 2007, 07:31:39 PM »
I just checked on the little cars with Avis....

It is called a Cub 4 pack--we can have one for 3 days for a $198 :lol:

And locations for pickup are only two--who can map this so we can see which is closer to the ferry?

Nevermind--one of the locations is right at the ferry!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 07:43:27 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #327 on: April 18, 2007, 07:42:48 PM »
I was just at the Mandarin Hotel and its very close to the Ferry's.

Did I say thank you peach? :thankyou:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #328 on: April 18, 2007, 07:53:51 PM »
Did I say thank you peach?  :thankyou:

No thank you for the pretty pics!

I just pulled together everybody else's hard work--please forgive me if I forgot to mention you!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #329 on: April 18, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »
Last but not least - Carla and Mirna - they actually just lost out to E/D but because of a  30 minute penalty end up last as the BQ's sneak by.
I don't agree with there being a penalty in the very last leg Gman :grins: ..can you imagine the teams running up to the final mat first or whatever and all the teams clapping and cheering only to hear that that team has to step aside and wait out the 30 minute penalty :lol: ?

There is no penalty placed on you if YOU COME IN FIRST.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 18, 2007, 08:08:32 PM »
This is a shot from the Mandarin hotel..It *kind of* looks like a match? I mean, sometimes the hotel rooms vary, but the general design could match maybe.

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #331 on: April 18, 2007, 08:14:14 PM »
Just want to thank peach for the lovely summary of possible timeline this episode. :hugs:

Oh, but how far is the Mandarin Hotel from Lou Lim Ieoc Gardens though?
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #332 on: April 18, 2007, 08:18:32 PM »
Michael beat me to it!
I was going to post that one and this one as Macau generic curtains...

Of course, the Oriental would be one of the most expensive hotels they could choose...

And if they are in a Macau hotel--it isn't a TBC....

Thanks hakushu8--I stole lots of your stuff! :-[

From MAPS! here is an   interactive street map --choose English

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 18, 2007, 08:20:18 PM »
Yay! I finally beat somebody to something! My computer has been going so slow lately...I think it's time to wip out my laptop that I bought a couple of months ago and sadly never used it  :'(

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #334 on: April 18, 2007, 09:08:10 PM »
Peach - Awesome post. Thanks for summarizing things.

I still think the shot of the BQs is from the end of Macau...and I'm still not 100% about what the deal might be. Why would Eric accept that BQ deal, that would make them seem kind of pathetic, because they would be worried to losing to "two queens" who have to wait 30 minutes! It's all very strange.

Yes i think Danielle and Eric having a deal [though seems likly] is stupis and makes them look like hypocrites.  The said how the Blondes were phoney and now they are doing the same thing to one of two teams they have a finale three agreement with.  First off we knew the Blondes have to be second the the Yield becuase they cant, so if Eric and Danielle yield the blondes they would still come in first and give the biggest threat a great chance to be eliminated.   If Eric and Danielle dont yield the blondes they just look stupid, they wont get their revenge will give up a better chance at first place, and will still have big competition on the race.  I mean there is no telling what happens later in the leg.  The Blondes and Derik might make a deal but say Deric gets lost with a cab?  That half hour advantage would help them more?

Well yielding the BQ's isn't that logical if they are near the front of the pack (and if its early in the leg), almost always teams recover from it (well all but one and that was only at the before the last event). 

As to why yield say Oswald & Danny oer Dustin & Kandice.

Thats incredible easy.

When you Yield the two best possible uses for the Yield is, to Yield the team in alst place to give yourself the largest possible cushion to avoid elimination.

The next best possible use of the Yield is to Yield the team with the best record so far on the race.  And that is easily Oswald & Danny.

For leg 10 out fo the regular seasons of two person teams they have an average Pit Stop performance of 2.50 (only three teams have ever had a better record at this point Eric & Jeremy, Colin & Christie and Kris & Jon). 

In comparison Dustin & Kandice are placed with a 3.40 with 19 teams that have a better average (Oswald & Danny are averaging nearly a position better each leg).

And while I can break down the legs as a viewer and say that the Beauty Queens are probably running a better race, Eric & Danielle don't gett to see that, they basically just get to find out who leaves in each position, and has no real idea how teams manage hte various tasks, how they navigate, ect unless the other teams tell them are when they are close and get to see them race.

If say those two teams (Eric & Danille and Dustin & Kandice are very close together approaching the YIeld and are fairly sure that they are ahead of Oswald & Danny and Charla & Mirna.  I could see Dustin & Kandice make that offer.

And I Can see Eric & Danielle take it, especially knowing that if they are close that they may not be able to get to the Yield before them, and miss the chance to Yield the BQ.

And as for all the comments about being shady and such directed to the BQ's for the Yield, that was for them lying or lisleading teams.   Also during the wait Eric didn't understand why them, since they have a worse record then Oswald & Danny.  Go for the last team or the strong team thats the best use of the yield, they had no idea that D&K have commented that they fear them more due to their physical strength as a team.

And while Eric did make a verbal deal with Mirna, right after that he got screed by them by using Oswald and Danny's booking to skip ahead of them.  So he might feel screw them.  Nor do we see if Eric or Danielle make a deal with Oswald & Danny.

Of course, this all assumes thats what happens.  Hell it could all be something else.

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #335 on: April 18, 2007, 09:10:33 PM »
I can't use my laptop, too, Michael. I poured o.j. on the keyboard. I need to have it fixed in the US Mainland. :groan:

Anyways, I'm thinking of another scenario on how this leg could be a TBC. Think back (unfortunately) to the TAR 8 finale. In the first hour, remember how they had to search for one of three departure times from Parc Olympique? What if something of the like was done here too, wherein they had to search (what we're thinking to be the pitstop) Lou Lim Ieoc Gardens for departure times (most likely, airplane tickets) to Guam via Hong Kong.

Following this info that apskip posted before:

Teams should take the hydrofoil back to Hong Kong since the International Airport has superior flights to everywhere.
Flight options start at 1010 with JAL730 to NRT 1010 to 1500, then CO007 NRT to GUM 1715 to 1950 and end with the most direct routing of CEBU AIR 119 to MNL 1940 to 2140, then CO934 MNL to GUM 2310 to 0440. There are about 10 other combinations in between.

It seems like the majority of the flights from HK to GU are in the morning. So maybe:
* Teams reach Lou Lim Ieoc Gardens from the afternoon 'till the night, searching for the tickets.
* No pit stop, instead the teams were instructed (is this possible?) by the production team to stay in Macau until the morning.
*** This scenario could still allow the Dustin/Kandice comment in Mandarin Hotel (?) because that team (or maybe everyone) decided to stay their for the night. And I think they could do a pseudo-pitstop interview... right?
* In the morning, teams ride the hydrofoil from Macau to HK. Then they go to the airport.
*** Assuming teams go directly to AAFB, Charla/Mirna got the first and only flight out of HK, and that's why they have that huge lead, like in Batu Caves (from chevy's post). The other three teams are in second flight.
*** OR Charla/Mirna and Eric/Danielle get first two tickets, but Eric/Danielle got lost when they were driving up to AAFB from the airport. Can't imagine how this is possible. Or maybe customs had to quarantine Eric/Danielle for a bit, because of what they were bringing from HK (Danielle's implants, perhaps? :lol3:).

So there. Feel free to point and laugh. :happy:
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #336 on: April 18, 2007, 09:47:26 PM »
Peach with Oswald and Danny just getting suited up for the Fast Forward at 2pm.  I would guess they check in at the Pit Stop between 2:45pm and 3:15pm.

So I think Dustin & Kandice should be much closer to an hour behind them, I still think at least.

With the Sunset being very near 5:40pm, I imagine the Dustin & Kandice checked in around 4pm to 4:30 pm.  With no real shadows or sun to judge angel, it still looks fairly well lite with cloud cover.

With Charla & Mirna who do the boat task after the sun has fully set, so I would guess they arrive at 6:30-7:00pm.

Eric & Danielle I would guess by the even darker stages of their progress between 7:30-8:30pm.

With a sunrise of 6:55 am for the next day (give or take a minhute or so.)

So most of the teams should be leaving the Pit Stop in the dark.

So I would have to assume that Hours of operation ome into play before any event.  ANd since we don't see the teams bunched as a group of 4 anywhere, but it does kind of look like purhaps at the Yield area that we have two groups of two teams, that means the detour is probably first for the day. 

Unless all l teams get bunched at the tower (like season 10's yiled) and somehow Eric & Danielle just get to it faster (like Tyler & James did who were third in line but easily first to the yield.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 18, 2007, 09:49:58 PM »
if you watch D/K mat chat with Phil you see the sun begins to go down as he is talking with them...it gets noticeably darker towards the end of the conversation.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #338 on: April 18, 2007, 09:54:16 PM »
Michael

Edited.  Sorry Michael I was thinking of the week before's side chats.

Yeah witht he Sun easily going down in those shots, Change BQ's to sometime after 5:20-5:30pm.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 10:04:15 PM by mswood »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #339 on: April 18, 2007, 10:27:06 PM »
We are missing something.

With those times, there is no way that E/D are rolling out noodles at 0530.

IF (big if) his watch is correctly set to local time, then it has to be 1730.

So what the heck are they doing all day?

Roadblock first with HofOp? Then they wouldn't be first to the tower but likely last.

Help!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2007, 10:32:02 PM »
I'm still wondering why the hell we have shots of Charla doing BOTH the sky walk AND the sky jump! I wonder if we are going to have a "both team members must do this to get the next clue" task in this episode.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #341 on: April 18, 2007, 10:53:59 PM »
OMG You rock my world mswood! Well said  :hearts: ..I don't care if you were waiting upstairs in line, you don't break into another line and say that you had been waiting upstairs in line. So in my eyes if E/D think their best option is to work with the BQ's and Yield the Cha's so be it :hand:. All that matters is the end result.

Astronomy for December 13, 2006:
  Rise: 6:55 AM CST
  Set: 5:43 PM CST

it's still light out ..

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 18, 2007, 10:58:24 PM »
Do racers usually adjust their clock to fit in with every country they visit. Maybe Erics clock is still set on American time?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #343 on: April 18, 2007, 11:19:40 PM »
Eric's watch looks like 2:05 to me. 
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #344 on: April 18, 2007, 11:35:59 PM »
Chateau comes on and the board lights up  :hearts:

Last but not least - Carla and Mirna - they actually just lost out to E/D but because of a  30 minute penalty end up last as the BQ's sneak by.
I don't agree with there being a penalty in the very last leg Gman :grins: ..can you imagine the teams running up to the final mat first or whatever and all the teams clapping and cheering only to hear that that team has to step aside and wait out the 30 minute penalty :lol: ?

There is no penalty placed on you if YOU COME IN FIRST.
  :lol: OK you win that point! But I'm not giving in untill I see a marked with penalty in the final leg with my own 2 eyes  :crazy

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #345 on: April 18, 2007, 11:39:58 PM »
Okay--it is his left arm and the watch has to be turned so he can see it.

After twisting my arm and my laptop to match :lol: I'm changing my guess to 8 or 9:40.

Chateau--could you look again please? I can't see 2:O5 although that certainly would fit the best. Could I have a picture please? ???

Here is the clock on the wall during the C/M noodle task. 7? 12:30?

Teams need 55 minutes on the ferry plus time before and after to get there. Maybe 2-3 hours after they leave? and they may have to get the car too...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:43:30 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #346 on: April 18, 2007, 11:43:22 PM »
It gets better ...

Applying cosine correction ...
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #347 on: April 18, 2007, 11:44:07 PM »
 :yess: :happy: :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #348 on: April 18, 2007, 11:47:03 PM »
Also Chateau--do you have your timeline "corrected" for as the teams cross the International Dateline?

Corrected for our time vs their time (HK and GUAM??)

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #349 on: April 18, 2007, 11:55:21 PM »
see if this works..