Author Topic: EP7/EP8 "If I Were In Town, I Would Ask For Your Number"  (Read 155851 times)

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
Re: EP7/EP8 "If I Were In Town, I Would Ask For Your Number"
« Reply #425 on: March 30, 2007, 01:57:52 PM »
Yeah - just like when Peter and Sarah and Dustin and Kandice got onto the 7 50 AM flight to India, they had the "Be back at 11" sign, which drastically cut their lead.

Great questions puddin, I also was wondering all of those things. I'm betting that we can leave the intersection out...unless it happens during the same leg is the knight detour, which is why we haven't seen any photos from the detour from the first poland leg!

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #426 on: March 30, 2007, 02:32:37 PM »
.Just watched CSI from last night, and a new promo gives a lot of new information.

scenes of Bill and Joe and Eric and Dee at an airport.  And we see steps being wheeled away from a plane which I can idenify as a KLM flight (typical blue and white).  This must be Jomo Kenyatta Int'l airport in Nairobi.. And it is at night.  At Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam all planes are loaded unloaded through jet ways not stairs on the tarmac.  Also there is no way any one, especially suspicious ones with backpack would ever be allowed onto the tarmac as we see Bill as he trys to wave down the plane.  What does he think this is some hackney taxicab??  From the footage it looks like Bill and Joe along with Eric and Dee (and perhaps Uchenna and Joyce) are left behind the others in Nairobi.

In the scene of the BQ's running and jumping at the Czapski Palace, the scene is brighter and you can clearly see that one of BQ's is clutching the DETOUR envelop (two way arrow on the cover).  So my guess is that Piano Tuning is one of the two Detour tasks, and they have completed it (perhaps they have to find the one out of tune key among the 88). The site may be the drawing room (salon) in the south wing which was occupied by the Chopin family which has been reconstructed with period furniture and is open to the public.  Therefore, it may be that the C and M team tried to do it but quit and went to find the dummy (and nobody would help them find a cab - which by the way do not cruise like they do in the states but are called by phone or picked up at a marked taxi rank)

After the competion of the Detour, I think that the teams must then locate the monument of King Jan III Sobieski on the Agrykola Bridge in Lazienki Park.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #427 on: March 30, 2007, 02:43:50 PM »
Wow I can't believe that ride on the dhow was 8 hours!  

As for the stop in Birkenau, when I saw the pic of the camp it reminded me of the scene from "Life is Beautiful" with Roberto Beninni, where the little boy is the only survivor and the American tank comes in and finds him.  

Birkenau was "libeated" by the Russian Army.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #428 on: March 30, 2007, 02:47:33 PM »
lol on the gnomes in the salt Mines peach  :lol:
...and yeah that Hound! keep it coming you help keep us on our toes! we were all n00b's at one time.
..and true that Michael! for all we know C/M come in 5th! Since its the Charla/Mirna show we have no idea, other than the Cha's and BQ's, where the heck Dani/Eric as well as Uchenna/Joyce and the Guidos are in Warsaw. I mean if the spoilers hold up and the Guidos are last then how the heck did they get so far behind the other teams in Warsaw? What could have held them up? Were they so far behind that they missed the train out of Krakow? ( Love the train idea Gman!). Or did they mess up a challenge and then had to go back to complete it?
Whats the Roadblock in Warsaw? the boats just seem too close to the pitstop but maybe thats it and its just the obvious?
Where the heck is the Fast Forward? Why hasn't the Yield come into play?

In the new promo (last night onb CSI) you can see Bill and Joe along with Eric and Dee (and perhaps Uchenna and Joyce as well) all together at Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International airport as the KLM plane pulls away and they all are left behind!  When is the next plane?

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 30, 2007, 02:49:07 PM »
Yes-It's looking more and more like the BQs come first at least in one part of this leg!  :jam:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #430 on: March 30, 2007, 03:23:25 PM »
I'm with you G-Man!

This must be Jomo Kenyatta Int'l airport in Nairobi

I tried to do some airport matching upstream here --let me know if you think it is a match.

And I put some pics of the Chopin Museum rooms in the Czapski Palace parlour here but unfortunately they don't seem to match up with the pics of where Ch/Mirna were--we are still looking for that room if you can help??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #431 on: March 30, 2007, 03:27:48 PM »
Yes-It's looking more and more like the BQs come first at least in one part of this leg!  :jam:

amen to that michael :jam:

Offline $HOP@HOL!C

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #432 on: March 30, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
YAY lol

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #433 on: March 30, 2007, 04:09:30 PM »

http://www.zanzibar.org/#guide

At this website it says:

"Boats to or from Dar-es-Salaam, Pemba, Tanga, and Mombasa

A recent law passed in Tanzania prohibits tourists from travelling in wooden crafts, which prevents tourists from taking dhows to or from the Tanzanian mainland. This law was passed after a German tourist pitched overboard from a dhow and drowned, ruining the fun for the rest of us who might want to spend eight to twelve hours on a wooden boat without shelter from the sun and without food, water, or plumbing facilities. It is a silly law and has silly exceptions such as sunset cruises around Zanzibar harbor such as is offered by Mtoni Marine.

Although dhows are no longer a possible means of transport for tourists in Tanzanian waters, there are many other boats to choose from. If you have your heart set on a dhow ride from mainland to island, you can legally board a dhow in Mombasa that will take you, most likely, to Pemba. The dhows have no services, toilets, or cafeterias and can be dangerous in high swells. Some people have had lovely dhow rides but if the winds die or are light, your trip can last well over eight hours."

I saw a lot of mention of at least 4 to as much as 9 hrs.  This is the only site that had anything about restrictions of use.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #434 on: March 30, 2007, 04:11:25 PM »
I'm with you G-Man!

I tried to do some airport matching upstream here --let me know if you think it is a match.

And I put some pics of the Chopin Museum rooms in the Czapski Palace parlour here but unfortunately they don't seem to match up with the pics of where Ch/Mirna were--we are still looking for that room if you can help??

Try to see if you can find any shots of the Chopin piano in the Ostrogski Palace.  This is site of the Frederic Chopin Museum and there is one room hich contains the actual grand piano on which Chopin composed during his last two years in Warsaw.  There is one very very small picture in my guide and the room has light yellow walls and wood chair rail about one meter high.  The piano is on a oriental rug on a polished wood floor.  Can't tell much more.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #435 on: March 30, 2007, 04:57:54 PM »
I'm with you G-Man!

In the opening of the CSI promo last night, there is a shot of an airport waiting room with a hiigh wall of windows looking out over the tarmac.  This is where the Quantas plane is seen in the background and a two engine prop plane taxies across in front of the windows.  Maybe just a "stock\" shot or maybe not.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #436 on: March 30, 2007, 05:01:36 PM »
Was it like this?

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #437 on: March 30, 2007, 05:05:44 PM »
And for the piano room--I have this from the Chopin Museum which doesn't match where Ch/Mirna are...

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #438 on: March 30, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »
more gnomes via Gman  :kissy:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #439 on: March 30, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »
I was watching the video again and was lol ..just for fun! The Roadblock in Warsaw is you have to ride the boat across the lake and your feet aren't allowed to touch the boat ..only with your hands, not feet :lol:

and then theres Gmans blue/white plane.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:35:51 PM by puddin »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 30, 2007, 06:53:20 PM »
LOL, seriously (about the roadblock?)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #441 on: March 30, 2007, 07:02:44 PM »
LOL, seriously (about the roadblock?)
I'm making stuff up again because I'm bored Michael, lol.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 30, 2007, 07:09:10 PM »
haha - so am I!

I wish Izad would reveal some stuff about episode 9 to save us!

I think tonight we'll get some E/D photos!

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #443 on: March 30, 2007, 07:31:58 PM »
I've been concentrating on this videocap that Izad had in his website (photo courtesy of ADC from Sucks). I think it's the Pieskowa Skala, north of Krakow. The clock and the window below it looks very similar.

And from here:

Description : 40 minutes drive through a charming Prądnik River Valley, forming Ojców National Park among limestone hills and rocks of incredible shapes (e.g. Hercules Club) and caves.
According to a legend, one of them was a shelter of Polish King Władysław the Short , a refugee at that time.
Visit at Renaissance Castle in Pieskowa Skała, the most beautiful knights' castle in Poland. Founded in the 14th century, rebuilt in Renaissance style with beautiful Renaissance loggia and arcades in the courtyard.
Drive back to Kraków along the Eagles' Nests Track - a group of the 14th century strongholds (now in ruins) founded by Kazimierz the Great to protect the Silesian commercial route: Ojców, Rabsztyn, Olsztyn and the most beautiful one in Ogrodzieniec

The castle is part of the Ojcowski National Park.

Am I wrong or am I wrong?

At first I thought it wasn't a match.  Then looked further and thought it was.  Now I'm not sure since it appears the armor and horses of the challenge are on flat land in from of the "castle".  Check out the pictures of the Pieskowa Skala Castle at a message board:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=162039

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #444 on: March 30, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »
Those are nice pictures, thanks makz3d :).
...and YAY Michael! I'm dying to see what izad has :happy:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 30, 2007, 07:39:26 PM »
Yeah - I can't wait to here what he's been holding back since December, even if it's something tiny, it will be nice to finally know the entire deal with the whole sighting!

Izad is great  :jumpy:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #446 on: March 30, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »
I'm puzzled:  If doing the Chopin Chop Sticks is part of a Detour, how can the teams compete if there is only one piano?  Or are there several rooms with pianos or several pianos in one room?  Or, and this is way out there in outer space somewhere, could this be a Fast Forward?  Schmirma try, but give up; the Beauty Queens suceed and go directly to the pit stop  :jumpy:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 30, 2007, 07:52:50 PM »
Or, and this is way out there in outer space somewhere, could this be a Fast Forward?  Schmirma try, but give up; the Beauty Queens suceed and go directly to the pit stop

If it is I'd be way happy...BUT, we see Dustin running out of the building holding the Detour task, so I'm guessing they just finished, which is why Kandice is all happy and jumping, maybe they know they're first? I'm guessing C/M just switch detours!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #448 on: March 30, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
GMAN, your statement "In the new promo (last night onb CSI) you can see Bill and Joe along with Eric and Dee (and perhaps Uchenna and Joyce as well) all together at Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International airport as the KLM plane pulls away and they all are left behind!  When is the next plane? is credible."

A later statement was "In the opening of the CSI promo last night, there is a shot of an airport waiting room with a hiigh wall of windows looking out over the tarmac.  This is where the Quantas plane is seen in the background and a two engine prop plane taxies across in front of the windows.  Maybe just a "stock" shot or maybe not."

Let me assure you that a KLM plane at Nairobi International is routine. However, any shot of Qantas cannot be from anywhere in Africa since Qantas does not have any routes there. It must be from Europe or Asia if it's actually an AR11 location shot and not just stock footage.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #449 on: March 30, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »

http://www.zanzibar.org/#guide

At this website it says:

"Boats to or from Dar-es-Salaam, Pemba, Tanga, and Mombasa

A recent law passed in Tanzania prohibits tourists from travelling in wooden crafts, which prevents tourists from taking dhows to or from the Tanzanian mainland. This law was passed after a German tourist pitched overboard from a dhow and drowned, ruining the fun for the rest of us who might want to spend eight to twelve hours on a wooden boat without shelter from the sun and without food, water, or plumbing facilities. It is a silly law and has silly exceptions such as sunset cruises around Zanzibar harbor such as is offered by Mtoni Marine.

Although dhows are no longer a possible means of transport for tourists in Tanzanian waters, there are many other boats to choose from. If you have your heart set on a dhow ride from mainland to island, you can legally board a dhow in Mombasa that will take you, most likely, to Pemba. The dhows have no services, toilets, or cafeterias and can be dangerous in high swells. Some people have had lovely dhow rides but if the winds die or are light, your trip can last well over eight hours."

I saw a lot of mention of at least 4 to as much as 9 hrs.  This is the only site that had anything about restrictions of use.

makz3d, this is not news as it has been reported weeks ago. Also, it's obvious that the Amazing Race was able to find some way around the restrictions because they did not cross from Mombasa to Pemba(a longer crossing than the one made for AR11); they went from Dar-es-Salaam to Zanzibar Town and this was no sunset cruise around Zanzibar harbor.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 06:04:56 AM by apskip »