Author Topic: EP7/EP8 "If I Were In Town, I Would Ask For Your Number"  (Read 155778 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP7/EP8 "If I Were In Town, I Would Ask For Your Number"
« Reply #400 on: March 30, 2007, 02:02:11 AM »
Nice Chateau!

That was one long ride--no wonder everybody looked sunburned!

And your place looks like a match to me puddin! What led you there?? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #401 on: March 30, 2007, 02:44:11 AM »
This shot was taken between 3:42 and 4:02 pm (assumes December 3rd).

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #402 on: March 30, 2007, 07:58:23 AM »

I'm liking the dummy detour, if it indeed involved getting an X-ray of the clue inside the dummy. Although that sounds expensive. The clue would have to be of something hard in order to be X-rayed, like hydroxyapatite, or something muscly (?) like lung tissue.

A thin piece of metal inside the dummy would be very easy to detect on an x-ray.  Many X-ray Departments are digital, so after x-raying the mannequin, the image would show up on a computer screen (vs. developing film).  This would not cost very much ... unless you are going to bill an insurance company!

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #403 on: March 30, 2007, 09:49:05 AM »

lets see if this matchs..

The yellow lightpoles in Puddin's pics are unique (3 old timey lamps at the top).  I couldn't see the tops of the lamps from the video though. (nor could i make out the lamps from puddin's second set of pictures). 

Also, when D/K are jumping....is it possible they are in the same park (quadrangle) that C/M are carrying the mannequin in?  (Trees look similar)

Rats...for whatever reason, the pics didn't show....I wish i was less of a dork & more of a geek.   :pedaler:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:16:27 AM by hound 109 »

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #404 on: March 30, 2007, 09:54:02 AM »

Any chance someone can "read" the tag on the mannequin's pants?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #405 on: March 30, 2007, 09:57:06 AM »
Warsaw University is just across the street from the Czapski Palace (with the Horse statue and the BQ's) and two blocks further up we saw C and M waving for a cab by the Zacheta and Augsburg Protestant Church.

This seems to be the C and M show; way too much emphasis on their deeds and little else of the others.

Detour most likely would not be either tuning the piano or the x ray; UNLESS C and M started one, gave up and tried the next one.

Getting pretty confusing; we need some kind of scenario to hang our hats on:

One Idea:

Day One:  Hydrofoil from Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam

Fly Dar es Salaam to Nairobi

Fly Nairobi to Amsterdam

Fly Amsterdam to Krakow

Day Two:  Arrive in Krakow

Make visits to places we have not seen (lots of ideas) but most likely the Wawal area and hopefully trip to Wieliczka Salt Mines

Travel to Oswiecim and visit Auschwitz-Birkenau for rememberance visit

Travel to Pieskowa Skala for DETOUR - Knight's Night Off

Pit stop in the Palace:  "you got to be kiddin?" because it is TBC

Day Three:  Travel to Warsaw

Many places to visit and tasks to do

Ostrogski or Czapski Palace to do the Piano Tune

Warsaw University for the X Ray

Perhaps something at the Memorial to the Heroes of the Warsaw Uprising

Finally to Lazienki Park to find the statue of King Jan III Sobieski (on the bridge of troubled waters) DETOUR find a rowboat and row to the Palace on the Water.  Get instructions here to go to pit stop

Pit stop on the path towards the White House in Lazienki Park

Philimination No. 6.

This is just an idea, please feel free to embelish it or tell me it is all wet and I will jump in to Lazienki Lake and cool off.

Hi G-Man! :waves:

The only problem I see is that your Palace Pitstop on day 1 in Kracow ("you have got to be kidding me") actually occurs at the Mat in Lazienski Park at the Palace on the Water--we aren't sure where the Mat (TBC?) occurs yet in leg 1 although my guess would be at Pieskowa...

So here is my guess:

Thanks apskip for all the great flight work--I didn't think it would be so hard! I knew you had us to Amsterdam and  from there it looked pretty easy! Sorry about that... :lol:

Here's what I think might happen:

Teams leave Zanzibar, probably via hydrofoil for Dar.

I still think flights out of Dar are at a premium due to the Hajj, so I wouldn't be surprised if the teams went via whatever was supposed to be the lost Pitstop (maybe Arusha?) and took whatever transport TPTB had planned --to get to Nairobi--(could be ground or air)--or a charter flight...
A task is possible but not probable.

Off to Nairobi and per apskip's flights, possibly via Amsterdam to Warsaw and on to  Krakow.
I suspect flights Warsaw to Krakow, but we haven't done a train trip yet either!

Start in Krakow and on to The Salt Mines (total wishful thinking with no supportive evidence whatsoever! :lol:) and then to Birkenau (tasks unknown).
Then off to Pieskowa for the Roadblock--Knight's on Horseback--where Ch/Mirna fall seriously behind because Charla has trouble with the horse.

Luckily they are still racing and it is a TBC. (Pitstop here??)

On to Warsaw  next day (Drive or train) where the teams have a choice of Detours:

X-Ray a mannequin for who knows (might be a nod to Marie Curie) why OR
Tune Chopin's Piano.

On to the Palace on the Water and Roadblock Row to Phil (hopefully something a little more exciting here) and then

Run to Phil at the Pitstop at Lazienski Park.

Still no rappelling--no bungee--no skydiving--so much for making it really hard for the All Stars! :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 30, 2007, 10:02:43 AM »
I don't think it's a TBC when C/M arrive at the pitstop and say "Are you kidding me" because Phil is standing right beside a greater.

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #407 on: March 30, 2007, 10:11:12 AM »
I am so happy (may not be the right term) that the producers are not going to waste a trip to Poland without some form of rememberance to the horrors that happened there.

Both my sisters and my brother have been to tour concentration camps and all three say its probably the most moving thing htey have ever done.

Hopefully the racers will respect this.  And hopefully the producers are smart enough not to make it so much of a task as an event.

A good example of how to handle this was Season 6 when tehy had to go through the final door leading to the ships to sail the slaves away.

Even annoying teams like Jonathan and Victoria and Adam and Rebecca were behaving themselves properly.

I agree with your thoughts exactly, mswood. 

TAR has always shown respect when appropriate.  (except maybe when they were running through the POW museum in N. Vietnam).

Also, a "racearoundtheworld" will take them to places that almost demand a visit (if nearby).  Since I doubt that I will ever be able to visit Poland (or Vietnam or Western Africa)....I'm glad that TAR stops there.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #408 on: March 30, 2007, 10:15:18 AM »
I don't think it's a TBC when C/M arrive at the pitstop and say "Are you kidding me" because Phil is standing right beside a greater.

I agree Michael--I think that is where we lose the Guidos--which is why I put that as the second city in my guess.

I'm saying it may be TBC at the other mat, which I think may end up being at Pieskowa (knight castle) but could certainly be Birkenau as well...

ETA: if anyone is desperate for a Polish translation of anything--let me know. I have someone willing to give it a go tomorrow morning....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #409 on: March 30, 2007, 10:23:39 AM »
Another reason that Warsaw is after Krakow is that pitstop is where all the "kidding " goes on is right next to Lazienki Palace or Palace on the water whatever you want to call it and inside that Palace is where we have the Guido & Danielle confessionals ...now if it were a TBC at this point then that wouldn't explain the Dani/Guido confessional in the Palace...they wouldn't have time to sit and talk.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #410 on: March 30, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »
^^^ What puddin said!

In reference to the title of this week's episode:

Do we just get one for both hours?

And since we are going to Birkenau, does anyone else get the sinking feeling that "I would ask for your number" may hve a whole new meaning? :(
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #411 on: March 30, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »

I agree Michael--I think that is where we lose the Guidos--which is why I put that as the second city in my guess.

I'm saying it may be TBC at the other mat, which I think may end up being at Pieskowa (knight castle) but could certainly be Birkenau as well...

But if these racers saw Phil with NO greeter, then they would KNOW that it is TBC......

BUT.... if after racing from Zanzibar, to Kenya, to the Netherlands, to Warsaw (maybe), to Krakow, 40 miles to a concentration camp, then back to a castle, put on a knight's outfit, ride a horse (fall on your face)...then run to a pit stop with an 18th century prince standing there.....then their reaction (when told it was a TBC)....would likely be "ARE YOU F..... KIDDING ME???"  :faint:  

and Peach...not only no rappelling, bungee etc., but no hairy lip, ostrich egg, live octopuss, fish eyeball or mountains of caviar "eating tasks"....wimps.   8)

Offline wifeofUSMCsgt

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #412 on: March 30, 2007, 10:48:35 AM »
Since we have no clear cut evidence of a mat in Krakow after the knight roadblock, could it be like last season where the clue states KEEP RACING?? There wasn't a mat in that situation and they just kept a goin.....     :dknow

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #413 on: March 30, 2007, 10:59:15 AM »
Another reason that Warsaw is after Krakow is that pitstop is where all the "kidding " goes on is right next to Lazienki Palace or Palace on the water whatever you want to call it and inside that Palace is where we have the Guido & Danielle confessionals ...now if it were a TBC at this point then that wouldn't explain the Dani/Guido confessional in the Palace...they wouldn't have time to sit and talk.

Well....Puddin's logic (and Charla wearing the vest at the "you got to be kidding me" moment)...blows my theory out of the water.   :groan:    :nm:

Thus...C/M are thinking they are eliminated & the mat is in Warsaw next to the water palace.

I will now sit like a grasshopper & watch the masters at work.  :noob: 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #414 on: March 30, 2007, 11:04:48 AM »
^^ Thats why I have been checking AOL for a extra clip, lol wishful thinking. I wonder if the teams aren't directed to an internet cafe? or the case just maybe Phil handing them the " keep racing clue" or the clue just says to keep racing? " I DUNNO" it has to be one of those options.
peach, one title..we might never know what the other one was suppose to be  :knuckles:
As far as the title my guess its Mirna/Charla to the lovely fern helping them with the dummy.
Now you all have me wondering when, if at all, we'll see the roaming gnome?

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #415 on: March 30, 2007, 11:17:06 AM »
I think that we are making headway.  

End of Ep 7 is a TBC at Pieskowa Skala castle.  

If the teams do tasks in Krakow, then go to the Wieliczka Salt Mines,

Then on to Birkenau-Auschwitz,

Then on to Pieskowa Skala

the teams are travelling in a more or less circle around Krakow with a radius of about 50kms.

The next day, teams (or they keep going after they are told TBC)could travel to Czestochowa, stop at the Monastery of Jasna Gora home of the famous "Black Madona" one of the most famous pilgramage sites in Poland. (Also a good "bunching point" waiting for opening hours at 5:00AM). From here there is direct, high-speed train service to Warsaw.

Since we have a visit of Birkenau, perhaps to balance would be either a stop at the Monument of the Fallen Heros of the Warsaw Uprising (that is when the Poles took up the fight agasinst the Germans with the Russians on the other side of the Wisla River but who waited and waited until most of the Polish Resistance fighters were slaughtered by the Nazis) or, the Monument to the Ghetto Heroes.  Both important reminders of the Polish World War II experience.

Then we have a DETOUR perhaps of either Tune the Piano, or XRay the manaquin.  BUT if this is the Detour than we have C and M starting one task and then doing the other.

But first the teams must locate the monument to King Jan III Sobieski on the bridge in Lazienki Park (this is the statue we have seen in the opening vidpix) and this is where they may get the Roadblock task.

The ROADBLOCK could be doing something with the boats on the Lake in Lazienki Park since we only see one of the Cha Cha Chas in the boat (having a miserable time rowing)

And then, at least one thing we can all agree on, the Pit Stop mat, Phil and the Greeter is on the wide path just west of the Palace on the Water leading to the White House.  Looks like the Cha Chas are arriving quite a bit before C and M.

More ideas appreciated
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:35:41 AM by gingerman28 »

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #416 on: March 30, 2007, 11:31:09 AM »

lets see if this matchs..

The yellow lightpoles in Puddin's pics are unique (3 old timey lamps at the top).  I couldn't see the tops of the lamps from the video though. (nor could i make out the lamps from puddin's second set of pictures). 

Also, when D/K are jumping....is it possible they are in the same park (quadrangle) that C/M are carrying the mannequin in?  (Trees look similar)

Rats...for whatever reason, the pics didn't show....I wish i was less of a dork & more of a geek.   :pedaler:

The park-like area that C and M are carrying the dummy is a much larger, more open area that where we see the BQ's jumping with the statue of the man on a horse behind them is situated inside a courtyard of Czapski Palace.  So I think it is two different areas.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #417 on: March 30, 2007, 11:39:04 AM »
Since we have no clear cut evidence of a mat in Krakow after the knight roadblock, could it be like last season where the clue states KEEP RACING?? There wasn't a mat in that situation and they just kept a goin.....     :dknow

That's what I think too!

I will now sit like a grasshopper & watch the masters at work
. No way hound--keep it coming--you are doing good!

Now you all have me wondering when, if at all, we'll see the roaming gnome?

He is in the salt mine!

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #418 on: March 30, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
Wow I can't believe that ride on the dhow was 8 hours!  

As for the stop in Birkenau, when I saw the pic of the camp it reminded me of the scene from "Life is Beautiful" with Roberto Beninni, where the little boy is the only survivor and the American tank comes in and finds him.  Of course the little boy thinks he has won the tank thanks to his father telling him that they reason they were in the camp was part of a game and the winner wins a real tank.  I loved that movie.  Anyway, I am sure the racers visiting the camp will be very dramatic and none of these teams seem like the kind that would be disrespectful.  I wonder if they will just be picking up a clue there or if they have to perform a task?  Is there an area there where you can light a candle to remember those that died there?  

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 30, 2007, 11:48:54 AM »
I think hound pointed out something interesting in the other thread, for episode 9. C/M don't have to come in first just because they are 2hr ahead in Malaysia, maybe E/D, D/O, D/K got on an earlier flight and it was just delayed!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #420 on: March 30, 2007, 01:08:33 PM »
lol on the gnomes in the salt Mines peach  :lol:
...and yeah that Hound! keep it coming you help keep us on our toes! we were all n00b's at one time.
..and true that Michael! for all we know C/M come in 5th! Since its the Charla/Mirna show we have no idea, other than the Cha's and BQ's, where the heck Dani/Eric as well as Uchenna/Joyce and the Guidos are in Warsaw. I mean if the spoilers hold up and the Guidos are last then how the heck did they get so far behind the other teams in Warsaw? What could have held them up? Were they so far behind that they missed the train out of Krakow? ( Love the train idea Gman!). Or did they mess up a challenge and then had to go back to complete it?
Whats the Roadblock in Warsaw? the boats just seem too close to the pitstop but maybe thats it and its just the obvious?
Where the heck is the Fast Forward? Why hasn't the Yield come into play?

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #421 on: March 30, 2007, 01:12:20 PM »

This means it took them 8 hours and 20 min to make the Dhow trip.

No wonder the Cha's said (essentially) "Screw the free Catamarans.....let's get some fruit."  :dryoff:

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #422 on: March 30, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »

This means it took them 8 hours and 20 min to make the Dhow trip.

The producers at work again.  Trying to close he gap between "run-away" teams and the unlucky airline bootees!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #423 on: March 30, 2007, 01:30:34 PM »
I think hound pointed out something interesting in the other thread, for episode 9. C/M don't have to come in first just because they are 2hr ahead in Malaysia, maybe E/D, D/O, D/K got on an earlier flight and it was just delayed!

Remember that Izad says that Ch/Mirna were 2 hours ahead when they left the Steps, but that he thought this was early in Malaysia with still lots of time for teams to catch up to each other along the way.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #424 on: March 30, 2007, 01:33:13 PM »
lol on the gnomes in the salt Mines peach  :lol:

...and yeah that Hound! keep it coming you help keep us on our toes! we were all n00b's at one time.

....I mean if the spoilers hold up and the Guidos are last then how the heck did they get so far behind the other teams in Warsaw?

...Whats the Roadblock in Warsaw? the boats just seem too close to the pitstop but maybe thats it and its just the obvious?

- Those gnomes cracked me up peach.   :lol3:
- Thanks for the encouragement, peach & puddin (& others)  :hearts:  I figured i'd be kicked out of the sandbox.   ;)

- Is it possible that the Guido's are a full day (1/2 day) behind from the get go & stay there?  Thus saving Schmirna's bacon. (since they had been apparently bleeding alot of time on the leg.)

- Any reason that the "Roadblock in Warsaw" isn't IN Warsaw? (only the detour)  Maybe 3 tasks in greater Crakow, or 2 in Krakow & one half way in between (salt mine / black maddona / "fallen heroes" statue, etc.)?  

(I'm gonna go reasearch some more so i can come up with more spellings of Krakow & learn more about the Black Madonna & the Monument to the Fallen Heroes....both of which would be logical & interesting stops.)   :bliss:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 01:56:06 PM by hound 109 »