Author Topic: CBS & youtube  (Read 2414 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
CBS & youtube
« on: October 09, 2006, 12:47:34 PM »

CBS AND YOUTUBE STRIKE STRATEGIC CONTENT AND ADVERTISING PARTNERSHIP

CBS to Distribute Daily Sports, News and Entertainment Programming through
New Brand Channel

First TV Network to Test YouTube Content Identification Architecture To
Connect and Engage with Viewers

NEW YORK, NY and SAN BRUNO, Calif. – October 09, 2006 – YouTube, Inc. and CBS Corporation (NYSE: CBS.A and CBS) have struck a strategic content and advertising partnership announced today by Leslie Moonves, President and CEO of CBS Corporation and Chad Hurley, CEO and Co-Founder of YouTube.  The deal calls for the CBS Television Network, its premium television service provider, Showtime Networks Inc., as well as its basic cable/digital media service, CSTV Networks, Inc., to offer the YouTube community a wide variety of short-form video programming from its news, sports and entertainment divisions on a daily basis beginning this month. YouTube and CBS will share revenue from advertising sponsorships of CBS Videos.

In addition, CBS is the first TV network to test YouTube's new advanced content identification architecture and reporting system which will allow CBS to protect its intellectual property by identifying and locating copyrighted CBS content on YouTube.  CBS will then have the opportunity to either remove it from the site or, at CBS's sole discretion, allow it to remain.  If CBS allows the content to remain on the site, CBS will share in any revenue from advertising placed adjacent to the content.

"We're pleased to be the first network to strike a major content deal with what is clearly one of the fastest growing new media platforms out there," said Moonves. "This strategic partnership is a unique development in CBS's continuing initiative to monetize our industry-leading content across new distribution platforms.  We're now able to offer select entertainment, news and sports programming to a new significant audience, get paid for it, and learn a few things along the way."

"We're excited to partner with CBS to bring their high-quality, entertaining content to our users.  As the first major network to offer a daily delivery of informative and entertaining video clips, CBS will have the opportunity to reach YouTube's far-reaching and diverse community in a unique and powerful way," said Hurley.  "Today's agreement demonstrates that YouTube has become a revenue-generating distribution channel for major networks and other media companies.  By partnering with YouTube, media companies can now have a two-way dialogue with viewers who can provide feedback about what they find entertaining."

Under this agreement, CBS will also be providing the YouTube community with video content from CSTV.  College sports fans can watch and share some of their favorite college athletics events on YouTube.  Beyond highlights and footage from CSTV's network of more than 100 broadband channels of live college sports, the college sports leader will utilize its relationship with students at hundreds of universities to enable fans to upload their own content from tailgate parties, pep rallies and other campus events.

Content on YouTube's new CBS Brand Channel will include daily contributions from:
o   CBS Entertainment; including short clips from top CBS programs including "Survivor," "CSI," and "The Late Show with Dave Letterman," as well as mini-previews and footage from its new fall lineup.
o   CBS News; including short videos from "CBS Evening News with Katie Couric," "The Early Show," and "60 Minutes."
o   CBS Sports; including analysis of college and professional sports, as well as programming from CSTV.
o   Showtime Networks, including promotional video clips from its critically acclaimed original series including "Dexter," "Brotherhood" "Sleeper Cell and "The L Word."

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: CBS & youtube
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 06:36:39 PM »
Interesting information! I wondered how the various networks would handle their content being used and shown on YouTube. The next question will be how will videos using music from commercial sources be handled.

I feel certain that CBS liked the publicity for BB7.  :hallo25
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 09:38:57 PM »
people are going crazy for this one ;)

Survivor: Cook Islands - Bikinis and Body Slams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cxSf--SIJc

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 01:57:24 PM »
ooo I love that YouTube link.  Great to know I can watch that scene over and over and over again. :angel:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 02:30:15 PM »
That has to be the best/worst challenge ever on Survivor!   :hallo1 

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 06:10:43 PM »
Sounds like we have a nominee for The Realities.  Oh darn, Rob is away on a Business trip and probably won't see this.  Oh well, if it was nominated, I'd vote for it.

Offline reedthis

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 06:37:45 PM »
I would to that has to be the best challenge of the year.
What We Do In Life Echoes Into Eternity!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 10:14:26 PM »
I would to that has to be the best challenge of the year.

I think so. Maybe one of the best ever on Survivor. (With rampant CRS though, I can't say that with certainty.)  :hallo25