Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Final Round Design Show on Page 50!  (Read 89761 times)

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Round 2 Starts on Page 17!
« Reply #425 on: July 19, 2020, 04:30:29 PM »
are we allowed to run our mountain tasks by you to ask if they qualify as mountainous? I just don’t want to be penalized

Offline Pi

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #426 on: July 19, 2020, 04:58:15 PM »
are we allowed to run our mountain tasks by you to ask if they qualify as mountainous? I just don’t want to be penalized
You can if you wish.
Remember, the themes are fairly loose. If a task somehow relates to your theme, it probably will work. You can also use your design to justify why your task is relevant to either mountains or beach.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #427 on: July 20, 2020, 03:18:57 PM »
I don't know where to pick. So many options lol.

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #428 on: July 20, 2020, 03:32:50 PM »
Another wiki etiquette question,

do you put the tiny icon for rb/dtr before the location name, or after it? I see it both ways on wikipedia :idgit

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • BIG MISTAKE
« Reply #429 on: July 20, 2020, 03:40:43 PM »

do you put the tiny icon for rb/dtr before the location name, or after it? I see it both ways on wikipedia :idgit
My personal preference is to put the icon after the location if the tasks take place there. If the task and cluebox are at different locations, I put the icon before the location(s). It's mostly with Detours. The clue box may be at point A, and the next column would be [graphic] (point B or Point C).
I'm not a judge, but that's what I do style-wise. I don't think it matters, just do what's aesthetically pleasing for you.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #430 on: July 20, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »

My personal preference is to put the icon after the location if the tasks take place there. If the task and cluebox are at different locations, I put the icon before the location(s). It's mostly with Detours. The clue box may be at point A, and the next column would be [graphic] (point B or Point C).
I'm not a judge, but that's what I do style-wise. I don't think it matters, just do what's aesthetically pleasing for you.

Thank you!  :tup:

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #431 on: July 20, 2020, 04:50:45 PM »
Another question sorry, can a Fast Forward count as one of our mountain tasks?

Offline MikeDodgers

• RFF Jr. Member
  • PHINBELLA POWER!
« Reply #432 on: July 20, 2020, 04:54:50 PM »

I don't think so.
"When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home....."

-Theme song from 'Full House' (1987-1995)

Online MrDS

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #433 on: July 20, 2020, 05:07:34 PM »
It’s generally considered etiquette to say that if the clue is given before teams arrive at the location to put the tiny icon before the Detour locations, otherwise after

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #434 on: July 20, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
You're allowed to have a FF in a mountain environment, but you would still have to have 2/3 of the ARI, Detour, RB as a mountain-themed task.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #435 on: July 20, 2020, 06:33:41 PM »
DC ANNOUNCEMENT:

Sadly, Alenaveda will be stepping down as one of the DC Judges. Thank you Alen so much for all you have done.

And a BIG WELCOME to Gamerfan who will be stepping in. With Kamineko and Pi/ you have a great trio!

And stay tuned...for some surprises and guest judges to come!

So get those episodes in! Cannot wait to see your creations!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #436 on: July 20, 2020, 06:38:02 PM »
Thanks to Alen for the help you have given us. We welcome Gamerfan to the judging panel and appreciate the expertise he will bring!

From now on, please send your submissions to Kamineko, Gamerfan09, and Pi/. If you already submitted this round, you are fine.

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2020, 02:22:16 AM »

*Open this link to see the realtime countdown: https://bit.ly/2ZKYrvR

We have received submission from:

We're still waiting for submissions from:

betheactress
Bookworm
BourkieBoy
BritishTARFan
David
Declive
elthemagnifico
Jimmer
Leafsfan
Lemontail
MikeDodgers
MrDS
NSLs
nrh2110
redwings8831
Stone
totumo
ZBC Company
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »
Unfortunately, do to an urgent and unexpected personal matter, I have to withdraw.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #439 on: July 21, 2020, 07:12:20 PM »
We'll miss you Leafs!  Sending you our best thoughts.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #440 on: July 21, 2020, 07:40:00 PM »
I might be submitting up to 24 hours late, as a heads up. I'll try to get it done before the deadline, but if I'm late I accept any penalty needed to be assessed

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2020, 07:58:35 PM »
Spoiler tags are not working for lots of us - including me.
Can we use it in our presentations or is it not encouraged?
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #442 on: July 21, 2020, 08:24:40 PM »
Spoiler tags are not working for lots of us - including me.
Can we use it in our presentations or is it not encouraged?
We don't have a timeline for when this issue could be resolved, so I would recommend for designers to reduce or eliminate the use of spoiler tags in designs this round. Sorry for the inconvenience, and hopefully this problem will be rectified soon!

Offline Pi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #443 on: July 21, 2020, 08:25:42 PM »
Leafsfan, I hope you're doing okay.  :2hearts:

Designers, the judges have agreed to use a uniform scoring criteria, starting this round. The following categories will be what we're scoring you on. Each category will be worth 10 points, for a possible maximum of 50.

Tasks:
Tasks are one of the main highlights of a Design Challenge leg. Show us how these work and why these tasks go in this leg! Never-before-seen tasks are nice to see, but more importantly, we want to see tasks that are feasible to complete. If your design has a Detour, make both options balanced, meaning no option seems too easy while the other too hard to complete. We know that not every task can be completely different than any of the tasks previously seen in TAR, but if you include a common type of task like a delivery task, what makes this delivery task different than the other delivery tasks ever seen before? We want to see tasks which are engaging for a TV audience and provide some opportunity for drama, excitement, and placement changes among teams. We want to know how long the tasks will take and see that they take an appropriate amount of time (no 2 hour long Speed Bumps).  The tasks throughout the entire leg should contain some variety between physical, mental, attention to detail, etc. How is the task culturally relevant for the location? Details and explanation mean a lot in terms of letting us know this!

Locations:
Location can be a make or break a leg.  Let us know why you decided to put this location in this leg, and why you chose to feature this place. We love seeing photos of your locations, and we hope the location is a picturesque one that will look good on TV. We want to know that the locations are appropriate for the tasks themselves. We are also looking for feasibility- are the locations reasonably close together, and would they be available at the time racers would be racing in them? Like tasks, details matter!

Originality/Creativity:
The concept of your tasks and locations should be original. For now, we'll try to limit the originality part to what has been done in the US version of TAR. For the creativity, we want to see never before seen things, which can be a new country, new cities, new twists, new concept for task, etc. Are the tasks and locations memorable?

Details/Presentation:
Because this is a Design Challenge, the style of the presentation has a big contribution to the scoring. Flight/bus/train/ferry screenshots help us know how teams arrive to your destination; maps let us know where your locations are, and leg money lets us know how much cash the racers need for the leg. We want your design to make sense: if you design a day leg but the flight arrives late at night, do you provide an Hours of Operation, for example? If you have something more to explain but not in the task description, write it on the detail part. Imagine that if anyone reads your design, what kind of question they will ask, then provide it in the design before they can ask.

As far as presentation goes, using appropriate font sizes and colors used, sizing pictures correctly and consistently, and including visual aids (pictures, videos, gifs, etc.) to help explain the locations and tasks are all things that will boost your score. Is your presentation easy to read and concise?

Judge's Choice:
This is a special category for each judge. They can specify what other criterion they want to judge other than the four above. It can be telegenic effect, possibility for drama, etc. You can pick up bonus points here for something that really stands out. These points are at the judge's discretion. We want to be wowed!

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2020, 08:45:17 PM »
Unfortunately, do to an urgent and unexpected personal matter, I have to withdraw.

:luvya:

You'll be missed, take care! :2hearts:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #445 on: July 21, 2020, 08:57:26 PM »

Hope you’re okay  :2hearts: we will miss you

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #446 on: July 21, 2020, 09:21:02 PM »
Hope you are okay  :2hearts: Godspeed
what might have been

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #447 on: July 21, 2020, 09:32:15 PM »

I hope everything is okay, Leafs.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #448 on: July 21, 2020, 09:34:54 PM »

Sorry to see you go, Leafs. I hope everything is okay. Thanks for playing. :2hearts:
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline betheactress

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #449 on: July 21, 2020, 09:58:14 PM »
Sorry to see you go Leafs and Alen, hope everything gets better for you both soon. Real life comes first!