Author Topic: Amazing Race Season 15 ratings  (Read 66588 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Season 15 ratings
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »
What isn't mentioned is that TAR beat 60 Minutes by about half a million viewers last night.

-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #201 on: December 08, 2009, 01:01:14 PM »
Finals are out and we xdropped slightly.

60 Minutes (97% coverage CBS normally 98%)
- 12.046 million viewers
- 7.8/13 HH
- 2.0/6 A18-49

The Amazing Race
- 12.298 million viewers
- 7.0/11 HH
- 3.7/9 A18-49

Cold Case
- 9.644 million viewers
- 6.1/9 HH
- 2.2/5 A18-49

NCIS: Los Angeles (R)
- 7.261 million viewers
- 4.7/8 HH
- 1.6/4 A18-49

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #202 on: December 08, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »
We end with an unofficial season average of

11.132 million viewers (5th highest)
3.375 in adults 18-49 (3.4 basically).

Now on this, since I don't have numbers for all episodes and seasons (unlike viewers).  But since moving to Sundays this is the third best (seasons 10 and 12 beat it).  But its better then the 3 of the seasons and with a vastly depressed Sunday (for CBS) it is exceptionally good.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #203 on: December 08, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
And for the week:

9th in viewers
11th in demo.

THough of course several shows were airing reruns during this time of the year.  Ithis still very strong results for the show.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2009, 02:50:14 PM »
And for the week:

9th in viewers
11th in demo.

THough of course several shows were airing reruns during this time of the year.  Ithis still very strong results for the show.

BVM always joked that TAR could be in the top 10 one day. Well, at least it's around the top 20-25 nowadays! Keep the momentum going in 16!  :hearts:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2009, 03:18:38 PM »
Caelestor

What is intersting is that network viewing keeps getting lower.

With us staying really fairly consistent over the years ( a bit up here, a bit down there).  We used to be a typically be 50th in rank.  But for the last three seasons we have averaged right at 21th.

Hell even season 7 only averaged 19th place for that year.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #206 on: December 08, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »
The thing to keep in mind is that TAR is doing far better than CBS at 9pm or 10pm on SUndays, it beat 60 Minutes this week, it now regularly outdraws Extreme Makeover Home Edition by a million viewers, and it is getting close to Survivor in audience size.
Not to mention the broad 18-49 demo; I'll bet CBS is thrilled with the high income 18-49 demo.

I'm not complaining. As long as CBS remains consistent with TAR's scheduling (leave it on Sundays, and notice that the show can draw more viewers as each edition proceeds from the beginning. Maybe casting will figure out that they don't need to create hyped up drama, and just let the Racers be competitve with one another to have an interesting show. And don't forget the 12th team is location, location, location.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2009, 06:34:14 PM »

Now on this, since I don't have numbers for all episodes and seasons (unlike viewers).  But since moving to Sundays this is the third best (seasons 10 and 12 beat it).  But its better then the 3 of the seasons and with a vastly depressed Sunday (for CBS) it is exceptionally good.

Since TAR moved to Sunday, are the fall ratings better than the spring reasons?  :hides

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »
I think CBS will run a two race season next year and try to rebuild the rest of Sunday.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2009, 07:27:54 PM »
I think CBS will run a two race season next year and try to rebuild the rest of Sunday.

You mean two hours of TAR each week? I don't know; the race might seem too short then.
I wonder what would happen if TAR and Survivor swapped.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2009, 08:33:23 PM »
No, he means the current fall-spring cycle setup.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2009, 10:47:07 PM »

Since TAR moved to Sunday, are the fall ratings better than the spring reasons?  :hides
Yes, but that is typical of TV in general.  Though in fairness it actually started the year before with season's 8 - 9. 

The only other possible comparisons is seasons 1 -2 (but I hate to judge season one, since a good portion of that season was heavily impacted by the change in viewership due to 9-11).  And then we had the late summer to Spring stretch of seasons 5,6 and 7 (what a great year for TAR).  BUt with the advent of stunt casting off of the far more successful survivor (which was hitting 10 million more viewers then TAR at that time), it also makes it unfair to use that (as season 7 was in the Spring).

So we should expect a good drop in the spring, not only do we have little help from sports (for CBS in general, though Basketball usually helps for about 4 weeks), we get hit hard by the Oscars (typically the lowest broadcast for TAR of that year, and we might even get hit by the Olympics depending on when we start.  Then we also will have to deal with having a much lower turnout for CBS on Sunday to begin with (with the failure of its 9 and 10 programming.

Of course, the good side of that is TAR even with lower numbers will still stick out from the rest of the CBS lineup.

Truly if anything CBS should learn its lesson and bump up its order of hours for TAR.  With either (hell both would be nice) going back to two hours for the first leg (not two episodes, but two hours), which they have done in seasons 5,6,7,8,9 (4 and 10 had 90 minute episodes).  And bump the episode order back up to 13 (I mean I am happy they went up to 12 (truly I am).  Hell they could even increase the final leg into two hours (they have aired two episodes for the finale, but never have they actually had a two hour final leg). 

The cons of adding an leg is that it is expensive (longer time holding people, travel expenses, more stunts and tasks, ect).

The pros for upping the opener or the closing leg (to two hours) is that it adds almost no additional cost.  Its just more post production and editing.  And they can reap much larger ad rates then what will most likely be airing when TAR isn't.  Season 12 proved without a doubt that TAR could still be huge for CBS during the off season.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2009, 12:05:30 AM »

Of course, the good side of that is TAR even with lower numbers will still stick out from the rest of the CBS lineup.

Truly if anything CBS should learn its lesson and bump up its order of hours for TAR.  With either (hell both would be nice) going back to two hours for the first leg (not two episodes, but two hours), which they have done in seasons 5,6,7,8,9 (4 and 10 had 90 minute episodes).  And bump the episode order back up to 13 (I mean I am happy they went up to 12 (truly I am).  Hell they could even increase the final leg into two hours (they have aired two episodes for the finale, but never have they actually had a two hour final leg). 

The cons of adding an leg is that it is expensive (longer time holding people, travel expenses, more stunts and tasks, ect).

The pros for upping the opener or the closing leg (to two hours) is that it adds almost no additional cost.  Its just more post production and editing.  And they can reap much larger ad rates then what will most likely be airing when TAR isn't.  Season 12 proved without a doubt that TAR could still be huge for CBS during the off season.

A 2-hour intro would be very much appreciated to help us get to know the teams. A 2-hour finale would be too much imo, but a 90 minute leg + a 30-minute reunion show would be excellent (Survivor has it, why can't we?).

Over the issue of budget, I've also said before that TAR should make two legs in the same country one TBC to reduce pit stop / speedbump cost (sorely disappointed that they didn't implement one in Dubai & Prague this season). However, I believe TAR's primary costs come from all those expensive flight tickets purchased the day of the flight. Thus I believe the producers are now purchasing them in advance, using more direct flights, and manipulating pit stops to cut down on cost. Ways to solve this: Take the train or bus in Europe/South America (they are apparently doing the latter in the starting legs of TAR 16), and avoid going to too many first-world countries in one season (like Japan  :groan:).

As for TAR 16, it should start the Sunday after Oscars with a 2-hour intro and have a continuous run (Except for that annual b-ball game). I can't see CBS putting their strongest Sunday series against one of the most-watched telecasts of the entire year AGAIN  :groan:. Furthermore, TAR's ratings tend to climb throughout the season as viewers get reacquainted with the latest cycle. I'm not sure how many episodes CBS can order without running over the end of the TV season, but I would really love 12.5 hours this season + reunion show (slowly inching our way back to a full cycle).

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
To have a show that has been around as long as TAR and showing such season to season growth when most shows (Survivor) are fading is a gem for CBS. They may invest more money directly in the show and we have more legs or they visit more expensive countries.  They may keep a 12th team in the race longer or spend more on promotion. The race filming now will be fitting into a odd post Olympic schedule so I think the races filmed next year will be affected more.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #214 on: December 09, 2009, 01:43:33 PM »
To have a show that has been around as long as TAR and showing such season to season growth when most shows (Survivor) are fading is a gem for CBS. They may invest more money directly in the show and we have more legs or they visit more expensive countries.  They may keep a 12th team in the race longer or spend more on promotion. The race filming now will be fitting into a odd post Olympic schedule so I think the races filmed next year will be affected more.

Or they will just continue to save $$ on the race where they can...I have no faith that good ratings will translate into more $$ spent ON the race, but I will just be grateful and thankful if it keeps us going!!! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2009, 03:20:49 PM »
Well in let me tell you I was very surprised to get 12 hours this season.  It's still not 13, or even 14 (when we have a two hour opener with 13 legs), but it felt so much better then 11 hours that we have had lately.

So thank god for that.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2009, 03:35:30 PM »
Amazing Race #1 show in Canada last week!

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/735538--hot-box-tv-worth-talking-about
Amazing Finale: CTV says 3.1 million Canadians watched the final episode of the 15th season of The Amazing Race on Sunday night, making the U.S. show, which is also carried on CBS, the most-watched program of the week in Canada. (For those who missed it, Meghan Rickey and Cheyne Whitney crossed the finish line first in Las Vegas after circling the world, with stops in Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, United Arab Emirates, the Netherlands, Sweden, Estonia and the Czech Republic.) This season of The Amazing Race averaged 2.68 million viewers in Canada, up 46 per cent from last fall's competition.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #217 on: December 09, 2009, 04:28:08 PM »
That's great news.  Love those Canadians.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2009, 12:29:03 AM »
The thing is that despite the growth in popularity of the race, they still shortened it with Season 12. Now granted, it was still not on a perfectly solid foundation back then, but it had sufficiently recovered from the Family Edition, and a drastic shortening wasn't warranted. I think that it will stay at 12 hours, but I think they are going to have more seasons with 12 teams in the future. I think they would prefer having more attention-grabbing tasks and dynamic teams rather than more legs or hours of footage, so I think that's where the money will go (and is already going).

But I don't think 12 hours is enough to get to know 12 teams unless the first leg is a non-elim every season. Technically, Leg 1 of TAR 15 still had an elimination, and look at how little we got from Eric & Lisa and Garrett & Jessica.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #219 on: December 10, 2009, 12:33:40 AM »
Let's hope if TAR17 is greenlighted that CBS will increase the budget and allow the show to be shot in HD. And give us 13 to 14 hours instead of 12. We can only hope right? :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #220 on: December 10, 2009, 12:53:13 AM »
Let's hope if TAR17 is greenlighted that CBS will increase the budget and allow the show to be shot in HD. And give us 13 to 14 hours instead of 12. We can only hope right? :lol:

Of course. :lol:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
According to this reporter, TAR has over 100 million viewers  :funny:

Translated - With an estimated audience of over a hundred million viewers, the program again put the city as the scene of mega productions for the CBS signal.

:spoiler:Caution - this link contains spoilers for TAR 16! http://piedraonline.blogspot.com/2009/12/amazing-race-grabo-una-de-las-etapas-en.html
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2009, 10:02:42 AM »
Actually I think they seriously need to rethink HD for season 17 and later.  With almost all shows in HD, TAR's look (one of its strengths) is not matching up with some other programming.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2009, 10:36:02 AM »
As someone who just got an HDTV, seeing the show shrunk is not very appealing.
Just here to visit.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »
One of TAR strength was its various beautiful settings, and seeing as so many things (even things like Documentaries, news, ect) in full HD have made TAR look old. 

They really, really need to fix that (have the cemera people start hitting the gym's harder).