Author Topic: Amazing Race Season 15 ratings  (Read 66591 times)

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
Re: Amazing Race Season 15 ratings
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »
Cold Case's demo improved 16% over Three Rivers'. Good thing CBS is going to swap them next week.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2009, 04:57:37 PM »
The one piece of information supplied by CBS:

#24 THE AMAZING RACE 15 (11.39m).

-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2009, 09:55:51 AM »
Also we tied for 26th in the demo.

And got a 4.3 in adults 25-54.  We managed to beat 60 minutes in both demos by 1.2.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:39 AM »
The Amazing Race
- 11.388 million viewers
- 6.6/10 HH
- 3.4/8 A18-49

:colors Definitely good numbers there!

Offline beaubd07

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2009, 11:17:58 PM »
Hello everyone I am new to this site....but I LOVE The Amazing Race!

From what I have read it seems like this season of TAR is doing pretty well with the ratings!  :yess:
But I have a few questions about the ratings system, just because I have never looked into this kind of stuff before.  What does the households number mean? Like what is that a judge of? Also the demo group I understand they break it into many different demographics and the one you guys seem to follow is 18-49, but also what is this number? Again what does that judge? and How come for some shows the "denominator" is different?  Like for TAR its around 3/8 but for 60 minutes it is out of six I believe?  If you guys could help out that would be awesome!!
Thanks!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2009, 11:19:30 PM »
:welcome: to RFF beaubd07! I'll let the experts tackle that one, :lol:!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »
I've "borrowed" this explanation from the excellent discussion provided by The Futon Critic at its website page on the daily ratings for the previous seven days.

"Demo" is shorthand for "demographic," not "demonstration," although that misunderstanding isn't hard to understand as "demo" is often used that way in other contexts.

Except for the total number of viewers, and the # number, which is a placement for the time a show airs, the night a show airs, or the week a show airs, depending on context, the numbers with decimals are percentages of the total household, viewers, or the different demographics groups. 18-49 age group, followed by the 25-54 age group are the mose important ones for advertisers.

So what does all this crap mean? Here's a quick guide to understanding these numbers:
"Grey's Anatomy" (15.36 million viewers, #2; adults 18-49: 6.0, #1)
15.36    =    "Grey's" total viewers, which indicates 15.36 million viewers in the U.S. watched this broadcast
#2    =    "Grey's" total viewers ranking for that night (T denotes a tie)
6.0    =    "Grey's" adults 18-49 rating, which indicates 6.0% of all adults 18-49 in the U.S. watched this broadcast
#1    =    "Grey's" adults 18-49 ranking for that night (T denotes a tie)
Some other stuff to keep in mind:
· For the 2009-10 season, there are an estimated 292,000,000 people (age 2 and above) in the U.S.
· For the 2009-10 season, there are an estimated 132,000,000 adults between the ages of 18 and 49 in the U.S. so 1% of that equals 1,320,000 people.

The one thing that isn't clear from that explanation is the role "time shifting" and DVRs are playing in ratings these days. "Time shifting" refers to the practice of having a show recording for viewing later. Prior to the current 2009-2010 year, Nielsen provided an estimate of the live audience only, using the 50 largest markets in the US for preliminary numbers provided overnight.

Final live numbers were provided on Tuesdays (usually) for the preceding Monday to Sunday week which included all sources used by Nielsen.

In recent years, as the number of households with DVRs grew, Nielsen began to track the viewers who "time shifted" their viewing using either cable or satellite or by viewers who used TiVo or other means to record shows. Nielsen would track those who replayed a show on the same night, and within seven days. By last year, 26% of all households had DVRs. This year, its 33% of all households.

This prompted Nielsen to make a change. Starting with the 2009-2010 television year, the same night time-shifted viewing was included with the numbers for live viewing for both overnight and weekly ratings reports. The "plus seven (days)"  =time shifted viewing is still tracked separately and is currently available three weeks later.

I'm sure mswood and others will have other elements to add, but I think the above is at least a start.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:17:39 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2009, 11:58:46 AM »
Preliminary numbers are out, courtesy of Futon Critic. Despite all the competition, we did shockingly well. (Who doesn't love Prague?  :yess:)

EDIT: Can't post the prelim numbers  :'( from TFC. You can find them at tvbythenumbers as well.

Assuming these numbers hold, the season average is at 10.94 million viewers and a 3.2 in 18-49.  :jam:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:40:32 PM by Caelestor »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2009, 12:19:49 PM »
Caelestor, TFC has an agreement with Nielsen that their report of overnight numbers cannot be quoted or reproduced anywhere else. There are media sources that don't have to operate under that restriction (e,g., CBS itself is one, I believe Mediaweek is another). And of course, there was a half=hour overrun for the east coast feed that isn't the case for the Pacific time zone, and the final numbers that come out Tuesday will deal better with the half-hour time slot variance between the two feeds. (Prelimn numbers don't always adjust for this factor.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »
The average between the 8:30 and the 9:00 hour is 11.78 million with a 3.45 in adults 18-49.

From other sources.

Now because the west Coast aired its normal 8-9pm these numbers could change (and hopefully up just slight) but still very good results.

What is surprisng is that with 60 minutes getting the maximum benefit of the sports overrun, they did (on paper marginally worse) in the 18-49 (3.4 for both half hours).

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2009, 01:00:12 PM »
From zap2it:

TV ratings: NFL squeezes out Sunday win over AMAs

By Rick Porter

November 23, 2009 9:04 AM

NBC's Sunday NFL game pulled in somewhat lower ratings than usual, but they were still big enough to edge CBS and ABC -- which got the biggest audience for the American Music Awards in seven years -- for the night's top spot.

NBC averaged 12.94 million viewers and an 8.0 rating/13 share in households on Sunday, edging CBS (12.69 million, 7.8/12) and ABC (12.14 million, 7.3/12) for the lead. (All three networks had live sports for at least a small part of the night, so their numbers may change a little in the final nationals.) FOX came in a fairly distant fourth with 5.5 million viewers and a 3.2/5.

In the adults 18-49 demographic, NBC's 4.8 rating beat out ABC's 4.5. CBS took third with a 3.2, while FOX came in at 2.7.

Sunday's hourly results:

7 p.m.

CBS: NFL overrun/"60 Minutes" (18.4 million viewers, 11.2/19 households)
NBC: "Football Night in America" (7.9 million, 4.9/8)
ABC: NASCAR Ford 400/"America's Funniest Home Videos" (6.1 million, 3.6/6)
FOX: "Brothers" (2.6 million, 1.7/3)/"The Simpsons" rerun (4 million, 2.4/4)

18-49 leader: NFL/"60 Minutes" (4.7)

8 p.m.

NBC: "Sunday Night Football" - Eagles-Bears (14.2 million, 8.5/13)
CBS: "60 Minutes"/"The Amazing Race" (13.5 million, 7.9/12)
ABC: 2009 American Music Awards (12.8 million, 7.8/12)
FOX: "The Simpsons" (7 million, 3.8/6)/"The Cleveland Show" (6.5 million, 3.7/6)

18-49 leader: "Sunday Night Football" (5.1)

9 p.m.

ABC: American Music Awards (15.6 million, 9.3/14)
NBC: "Sunday Night Football" (15.5 million, 9.5/14)
CBS: "The Amazing Race"/"Cold Case" (10.3 million, 6.2/10)
FOX: "Family Guy" (7.4 million, 4.2/6)/"American Dad" (5.5 million, 3.2/5)

18-49 leader: American Music Awards (6.1)

10 p.m.

NBC: "Sunday Night Football" (14.3 million, 9.1/15)
ABC: American Music Awards (14.1 million, 8.7/15)
CBS: "Cold Case"/"Three Rivers" (8.5 million, 5.7/9)

18-49 leader: American Music Awards (5.7)

Ratings information includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are preliminary and subject to change, especially in the case of live telecasts.

Source - http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2009/11/tv-ratings-nfl-squeezes-out-sunday-win-over-amas.html
Just here to visit.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
I should have noted earlier that when TFC reprints a network press release, quoting from that is OK since the information comes from the network, and not directly from Nielsen.

Why TFC has this burden and not other internet sources, I really haven't been able to figure out. The FTC restriction even prevents them from archiving the information for more than seven days, or having graphics.

Anyhow, the ratings continue to rise as we proceed further into the season, which is interesting. If last night's preliminary numbers hold up in the weekly report, then a seasonal average over 11 million becomes a real prospect. And the demo number is healthy.

Cold Case did better back in its old time slot, and folks still fled from Three Rivers. SInce both shows are pre-emoted next week, and there were no promos for either show's next episode in two weeks, I suspect CBS may be making a decision to swap the time slots before December 6th.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:21:22 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »
I would assume that they were hit the hardest, by Nielsen but they were the main ratings player when Nielsen starting coming down on people.

Now they have several sources, only pifeedback/mediaweek is able to keep records for more then a week (as tvbythenumbers also limits their material to one (or maybe two weeks).  But Sitcomsonline also keeps archives for the same amount of time as pifeedback and they haven't gotten into any trouble.

But between Berman and Travis (who posts finals) you can get the main ratings info.  Overnights, Fast Nationals, Finals and demos in great details (though you might wait for a long time on detailed demo breakdowns, they just got finished with the half hour breakdown of cycle 14 not to long ago).  About the only thing they don't provide much info on is DVR use.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:30 PM »
Finals are out and we KICKED ASS!!!

60 Minutes (7:30pm)
- 15.978 million viewers
- 9.9/16 HH
- 3.3/9 A18-49

The Amazing Race (8:30pm)
- 12.191 million viewers
- 6.9/11 HH
- 3.7/9 A18-49 ( )

Cold Case (9:30pm)
- 9.547 million viewers
- 6.1/10 HH
- 2.1/5 A18-49

Three Rivers (10:30pm)
- 7.888 million viewers
- 5.3/10 HH
- 1.7/5 A18-49

Season high in viewers and look at that Demo.  That is awesome.

Season average now at 10.968 million viewers.

Demo average at 3.34 for 18-49

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2009, 04:28:33 PM »
Fantastic news for TAR  :jumpy: :wohoo:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2009, 04:29:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing those, good news indeed!! May the franchise live long!! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2009, 05:27:47 PM »
The CBS press release was a bit odd. It mentions TAR as a big contributor to CBS projecting a win among all viewers in the November sweeps:

CBS's November win was led by NCIS (the No. 1 series of the month), THE MENTALIST, the Monday comedies, freshman series NCIS: LOS ANGELES and THE GOOD WIFE, the continued strong showings for SURVIVOR and THE AMAZING RACE and the CSI trilogy which significantly boosted all three editions, including the largest audience for CSI since last March.

But it doesn't even mention TAR's ratings performance this week other than in the paragraph showing how CBS shows placed in the Top 25:

CBS top programs of the week:  #1 NCIS (an average of 20.34m viewers), #5 60 MINUTES (15.98m), #6 THE MENTALIST (15.85m), #7 CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION (14.91m), #8 NCIS: LOS ANGELES (14.87m), #11 CRIMINAL MINDS (13.70m), #12 TWO AND A HALF MEN (13.69m), #13 CSI: NY (13.62m), #14 CSI: MIAMI (13.26m), #15 THE BIG BANG THEORY (13.23m), #17 THE GOOD WIFE (12.70m), #19 SURVIVOR: SAMOA (12.33m), #20 THE AMAZING RACE 15 (12.19m) and #25 COLD CASE (9.55m).

TAR came within 140,000 viewers of Survivor. And Cold Case did benefit from the time swap as it returned to a Top 25 ranking. (I also noticed that while CBS released a episode description for Cold Case on December 13th, nothing was released today for Three Rivers. I wonder if a hammer is about to fall.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »
Nielsen had trouble with its weekly numbers provided to its vendors, as such CBS probably didn't want to sift through all the info themselves to create all the data points for their press release.

What we do know is that by viewer we were ranked 20th.

By demo we were 18th (When looking just at the 3.7 we are tied in 12th place with 6 other shows.  But out of those shows they have actual viewer numbers in that demo.  They range from 4.917 million for Criminal Minds down to 4.815 TAR.  So it looks like we just barely got to a 3.7.  No matter its a great result for the show.

Right now (how they officially do ratings we are over 11 million) they way I count each episode we are very, very close to it.  And most likely will end the season with an average of just over 11 million.

When you consider that so much of our audience is watching on DVR's seasons 10, 12 and now 15 in real viewers have more then all but season 7.  Season 6 had higher total viewers, live same day, but not live plus seven.

And we came closer then we have ever came to tying survivor.

Who would imagine that a show that was getting nearly 30 million viewers when it started would now be almost even with a show that's first year averaged a mere 9.5 million viewers.

It boggles the mind.  I am also very curious (with all the Russell Hype, God I hate him) if the show has actually performed worse or better this year then last year.  I know are show has.

Oh and here is some comparisons.  Networks don't really consider how we did versus the Spring cycle (they know spring performs typically lower for all tv shows).  They mainly look at two factors.  Biggest one is year to year, 2nd largest is how we do week to week.

On the year to year. 

If we hold at this average level (very possible based off of the last 4 episodes, both with and without help from Sports).

We should end close to a 11.00 million viewers and near a 3.35 in the demo.

Last year we averaged (for cycle 13) 10.526 million viewers and a 3.16.

We will probably show year to year growth of 5%.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but remember most shows lose about 5% each season.  And in the demo we will have increased roughly 6% (also again as most shows loss that amount each year).  Then for the icing on the cake.  Sunday's 7pm 60 minutes is down both in viewers and demos year to year.  And its 9pm hour is down considerable year to year (over 20%).

Meaning not only does TAR perform head and shoulders above any CBS show on Sunday, but it is doing so while teh rest of its lineup is doing far worse then the previous year.

Tonight and tomorrow I am going to look back on Sundays and figure out how show performed with and without overruns.  To highlight how this season we have seen the smallest amount of growth due to football since we moved to Sundays.  Meaning that the show has been doing so well mainly due to its own strength, not the strength of another show.

Seriously, this and season 12 (which just did awesome numbers and half of them during the dead of December and early January), are almost as impressive (and with the drop in viewers over the years, possible more) as seasons 7's ratings.  I am really, really pleased.

Now give me back 13 hours each cycle damn it.  I don't care if you put 2 for  an opener and two for the ender, but give me my 13 hours.  Please.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2009, 02:26:14 AM »
Also would like to point out out the stunning increases as the season has progressed. Our season low was 9.95 million viewers and a 2.8 in A18-49. Prague demonstrated its magic with over 12 million viewers and a 3.7. That's around a 20% increase.

Of course, this leg could just be an anomaly. Let's see what Prague leg 2 has to offer.  :jam:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2009, 09:30:04 AM »
^Oh I am sure we are going to drop.  But even if we drop to what we have been doing thats between a 3.3 and 3.5 in the demo (which is just great for Sunday) and 11 million plus in viewers (also really good for us).  I am curious when do the other networks go to repeats in December, because if that happens (when we are still on) it should help us generate ratings.

Now if we don't drop (Damn I think I would just fall over in shock).

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
^Oh I am sure we are going to drop.  But even if we drop to what we have been doing thats between a 3.3 and 3.5 in the demo (which is just great for Sunday) and 11 million plus in viewers (also really good for us).  I am curious when do the other networks go to repeats in December, because if that happens (when we are still on) it should help us generate ratings.

Now if we don't drop (Damn I think I would just fall over in shock).

LET'S HAVE MORE FAITH IN THE SHOW WE LOVE!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

TAR TO REACH 12.5 - 13MILLION VIEWERS?!?!?! :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2009, 12:08:48 PM »
Joab, Sunday of a Thanksgiving weekend? And only a few markets have a late Sunday afternoon game on the East Coast (but those do include New York City)?

I'm on the cautious side; but I won't be surprised if the viewers are over 11 million and under 12 million, with the demo staying above 3.0. A lot more people are apparently traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday this year, and because many people can't take the whole week off, there's likely to be a lot of driving home going on Sunday.

but we'll see CBS has a hell of a hook this week with the 4 hour roadblock quitting penalty, and causual viewers might want to see how that came about,
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »
Yeah looking back at previous years we should take a hit because of the holiday weekend.  With the networks all airing originals for the next two weeks, we wont get any help on that front.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2009, 08:11:49 PM »
Holiday weekend sh*t gets aired on Sunday and that's not going to help. But you mswood, you know the numbers than I do, but I'm thinking that since CBS put TAR on Sundays, it has found a core audience and the network knows best not to mess with a good combination of 60 Minutes/The Amazing Race.

I don't want to compare with the nightmare days of 60 Minutes/Murder, She Wrote, but almost similar to how CBS had a rather powerful 1-2 punch in the 1980's on Sundays.
Just here to visit.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #174 on: November 26, 2009, 07:20:23 AM »
Ooops i forgot all about thanksgiving! We don't celebrate that occasion here in Singapore.

Then here's to wish TAR maintains above 11million viewers! I remembered when TAR was just getting 9million+ viewers a week and it's really sad... now the numbers are great!!