Author Topic: "The Apprentice"  (Read 75826 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: "The Apprentice" will return
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »
Those who saw this episode tonight may think that it was pretty straightforward, but that's not the way I see it. This was a complicated task with lots of questions remaining about how level the playing field was. the most fundamental aspect of a non-level playing field was three elements that worked in favor of Hydra:

1. they had 3 team members(Piers, Carol, Lennox) vs. only 2 for Emprasario (Trace, Stephen)
2. they had Lennox Lewis, heavyweight champion of the world as their main celebrity draw vs. the little-known-in-Manhattan(where country music is not that big) Trace Adkins and almost unknown Stephen Baldwin. Even Piers and Carol are better known in Manhattan than Trace and Stephen
3. they had a track record and aura of success

Before the task began, Piers indulged in major bombastic behavior and even a bit of Omarosa-bashing(what a surprise!). Trace appeared to be totally disgusted. Lennox had suggested to Piers that he apologize to Trace for his"Kiss a Cowboy" stunt the moment Trace arrived, which Piers indeed did do. Then Lennox in a playback moment that you can get away with if you are Heavyweight Champion of the World deemed the incident "Brokeback Boardroom", which I thought was incredibly funny but Trace didn't.

The task was to design a new Quiznos sandwich and sell open-face version of it for $2 at one of two east-side Manhattan Quiznos stores. Trace was the Project Manger as a result of Stephen having done it more recently. Lennox was the Project Manager for unknown reasons. Trace same up with the name Country Club for their sandwich and it was chipotle sauce, mozzarella cheese, bacon and prime rib on one-half of an English muffin run through a grill for a designated amount of time. I think Carol nominated the Champ for the name and Piers had it contain turkey and then Lennox wanted lots of cheddar cheese, with chipotle sauce on the half english muffin.

One key to success should have been advertising. Emprasario got a break when their store was 3 blocks from a printer, so they had their posters/flyers ready for distribution one hour before the start of the sales at noon. Carol was in charge of getting the same for Hydra and it did not arrive until less than 30 minutes before noon. Piers and Lennox were out on a 3rd Avenue sidewalk trying to drum up future business from 11am until about 1130am. The Ermprasario poster was Trace and Stephen is a black cowboy hat, which wouldn't have done much to attract me. However, Lennox Lewis heavyweight boxing champ would also have done nothing to attract me. Both teams had the description of their sandwich in small print and presumably their price in larger bolder typeface. This was a lunchtime New York crowd they were trying to attract with celebrity. I think that was a mistake both teams made. They should have focused on the excellent value that their sandwiches offered by touting the price and put the sandwich in the picture, not the celebrities. I think that would have sold better, but nobody asked me(are you listening, Donald Trump?). One other publicity note. Why waste Carol Alt behind the counter? Hydra should have put her out in front of the store to attract male customers walking by. Some portion of the 50% of the Manhattan workday population that is male would be interested in getting an autograph of a flyer of a sandwich by Carol Alt. I can pretty much guarantee this.

Operations were the responsibility of the staff at both restaurants and they did an excellent job. It appeared that lines were long much of the time from noon to 2pm. The task ended and there was a multi-hour wait for the Boardroom.

Broadway show Curtains Producer Daryl Roth had been the "eyes and ears" with Ivanka and she reproted that the teamwork between Trace and Stephen was smooth and the team seemed well-focused. Ivanka reported that Hydra was a well-oiled machine and Donald gave kudos to Carol which she deflected to Piers. The count of sandwiches sold was now about to be announced. Hydra sold 353. Emprasario sold 250. The main reason put forward was the difference of one team member. Ivanaka also offered a hypothesis that the Emprasario prime rib sandwich was not as desirable to a female audience as a turkey club was for Hydra. She said that she prefered the prime rib herself and I would have too, so I don't think that's it. I am speculating that the celebrity drawing power(which is OK to exploit in person, just not on your flyer) was superior for Hydra with Lennox Lewis besting Trace Adkins.

Hydra was excused and either Trace or Stephen was going to be fired. Trace took responsibility at the beginning of the final boardroom. He and Stephen explained how they work together and there were no problems, rough edges or issues after weeks of working together. Ivanka raised the issue of whether the decision should be based on the money-raising capacity of the individual in the future rounds. That thought process weighed heavily on Donald Trump and it was decisive in asking Ivanka at the end who she would fire. She said Stephen, which was obviously orchestrated. Donald fired Stephen, who had expected and predicted it and had no hard feelings. He had over $70,000 for his mother's charity and Trace has won zip so far. Trace had explained to Donald Trump for the second time why he was in the competition, for the charity representing the food allergy foundation that helps his 6 year old daughter. Trace will live to fight another day.

After Trace had gone back to the suite, Donald called the 4 semifinalists back to the Boardroom and told them before they left that room 2 of them would be fired. There was a clue as to who that is going to be in the brief previews following as there was a reference to a fight between two men(presumably the Final 2). If so, that would be Piers and Trace. Carol and Lennox are likely to be the ones eliminated unless the criteria that trump uses are strange.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:44:22 AM by apskip »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2008, 11:09:46 PM »
I think that would have sold better, but nobody asked me(are you listening, Donald Trump?). 

:lol3: Oh that's funny and you are more on top of it over Donald, good job  :tup:

Ivanaka also offered a hypothesis that the Emprasario prime rib sandwich was not as desirable to a female audience as a turkey club was for Hydra. She said that she prefered the prime rib herself and I would have too, so I don't think that's it.

Yes I would have bought the turkey mind you I don't eat cold cuts and someone had it with bacon, yuk!! I haven't ate bacon in probably the last 10 years. I would think New Yorkers would try to be a little more health conscious I would have for sure bought the veggie one if that was an option.

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode and am surprised by this shocker dropping 2 of them.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2008, 01:56:47 AM »
ca bb fan & apskip, you both express yourselves very well and I have really appreciated both of your commentaries this season.  Thank you bunches! :hugs:

:-* Hey RudyRules, I have to tell you it wouldn't be the same without you.

I have really enjoyed reading your posts as well.

I think we had a great season with this celebrity edition and I don't feel disappointed that Donald gave us this special edition.

I really did enjoy it and this thread.

I'm going to miss you guys on here but am glad to see you once again for next season.

Aww...thank you ca bb fan. 

Yes, I totally agree w/ you about this celeb edition.  It is the FIRST one that I can honestly say I enjoyed!!  It was interesting to see how the celebs had to, and did, learn good business skills.  And as I've said, I liked Omarosa mixed in with the Celebs, surprisingly!  I never thought, in a million years, that I would ever like her on any show b/c I could not stand her in the first season!!   Not sure I'd like her in any other show.  LOL!  I just thought it was a cool twist for her to be with the celebs...well...for the most part, that is.   :angel:

I'll miss this thread too, but we have lots of others to yak in! :tup:

Are you keeping up with BBro?  I'm not. There are other shows I like a lot better.

Well, we'll soon know who the Celeb Apprentice will be.  I'm betting on either Carol or Trace.

Later~

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2008, 03:36:28 AM »

:-* Hi RudRules

I agree with you it’s been a great season and there is sooo much good reality out there

right now that I honestly can’t even watch all of it.

I am keeping up with every pain stacking minute of BB.

I honestly think sometimes I’d rather shoot myself in the foot then to tolerate another minute

but I have sooo many personal commitments that just seems to make it all better.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2008, 07:44:07 AM »
EPISODES AND ELIMINATIONS REMAINING

After the no-elimination episode last night, we have 8 contestants alive. We are now on course for the correct counts when reaching the Final 4 and Final 2. This means I do not expect any double firings in the remaining episodes except for the Final 4 where that is a standard policy:

after Feb. 21 7 remaining
after Feb. 28 6 remaining
after March 6 5 remaining
after March 13 4 remaining
after March 20 2 remaining
after March 27 1 Winner

ca bb fan, this one's for you. Since the basic format of the Apprentice is unchanged every season, I was able to predict back on Feb. 14 that there would be 2 contestants eliminated to go from the Final 4 to the Final 2. That's just the way Donald Trump and Mark Burnett do it.

Now, that does not mean there won't be some shocker next week, like the return of Omarosa as a worker assigned to one of the teams under one of the Final 2. Will this be on Piers' team? Somehow I don't think so. Since I didn't see any mug shots of Omarosa in the previews last night, Trump may not have asked her when he has many beloved real celebrities to pick from. She probably won't get asked, but I would love to see more of Jennie Finch, who I thought got a pretty raw deal.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2008, 08:36:04 AM »
I want to add a postscript to my recap, as some more items have come to my memory:

0. In reviewing the tape, Trump definitely said fight between two men in the Preview and I am almost certain he is referring to the Finale.

1. At the beginning of the show, Piers was pretty obnoxious in gloating over the departure of Omarosa. He even gave a mocking toast to her when all 5 were sent to the Boardroom to meet with Trump about the next task. He had better watch out, because that kind of behavior does not play well with Trump, who has a long memory.

2. Why did Trump call them all back immediately? Of course it could just be editing tricks, but I don't think so. We have valuable celebrities who have been around for theoretically 12 weeks (actually 24 days as they do shows in about 2 days each) and keeping them any longer than necessary has a large opportunity cost for them. It is better to finish up and release them ASAP.

3. To that end it appears that the Final 2 are named practically at the beginning of the next show and then they get to select from an abbreviated list of eliminated contestants starting with Carol and Lennox and Stephen, who will still be around. The preview showed Marilu and Stephen definitely in that role and of course the losers who don't make the Final 2 can't be shown yet.

4. Most of the next show I expect to be devoted to planning and executing a huge charity event. The Back Street Boys and Sarah Ferguson will be part of that event.

5. There was a figurative cloud shown hanging over Piers just like the Sword of Damocles. I believe that just might be the appearance of Omarosa. If he is forced to take her as a support person, that would be interesting to watch. Donald Trump might just maneuver that to give Piers one final challenge. Trace probably wouldn't want Omarosa either, so if Trace got first pick then Piers would be forced to either take her operate one team member short.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2008, 10:54:51 AM »

Thanks apskip I had no idea as I haven't kept up that so I am surprised that Donald will eliminate 2 celeb's.

Oh Piers you gotta love him he is cocky isn't he but can be focused and do great work.

He certainly brought some great laughs to this season as well as impressed me

for taking The Apprentice seriously as much as he could.

It is interesting how the final 2 shows will play out

and I must say this celebrity edition has continued to keep me eagerly waiting for every episode.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »

:lol: You know the site of Omarosa will either push Piers to do his best and win this or kill his drive and cause him to lose.

If Piers is forced to take Omarosa as his support person his best chance of winning is fire her.

He would be better off taking on the challenge by himself instead of losing focus and wasting it on her.

It all depends just how much he can't take the site of her.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »
The more I think about this, the more convinced I am that the only way Trump can reasonably even the edge that Piers has earned through his years of celebrity contacts is by Trace getting first pick of the other celebrities. I assume Trace will take Marilu because of her contacts. I have no idea if Gene Simmons will be one of the invitees but if so I think Trace will steer clear of him even though he does have great contacts because Gene is not a team player; he only can lead a team to victory and not be a supporting player on someone else's team. Usually you get 3 eliminees to choose from. I predict it will go something like this:

#1 Trace pciks Marilu       Piers picks Carol
#2 Trace picks Lennox     Piers picks Stephen
#3 Trace picks ?Tito?       Piers is forced to pick Omarosa

Let's see how close I come to the real scenario next Thursday night.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2008, 01:56:42 AM »
Piers will be lucky if he gets Carol on his team.

Steven and Omarosa will side track him because they require so much energy to keep them forcused

and to have Piers best interest I don’t know if they will pull through on that one.

I think Piers can do it. He has to be swift make a decision use 3 or 4 resources and

execute it.  Pure determination to succeed will work for him.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »
Here's some new information on Omarosa:

The Apprentice first-season contestant and reality show retread claims she'll be back on The Celebrity Appearance prior to its live finale broadcast on March 27, The New York Post reported Wednesday.

Although it likely has something to do with the final task assignments in which several previously eliminated contestants are traditionally brought back to help each season's final The Apprentice finalists, Manigault-Stallworth wouldn't divulge when -- or more importantly why -- she reappears on The Celebrity Apprentice.

"I'm multi-faceted, I have all these different sides," she told The Post. "I'm very competitive. I love to kick ass and the press doesn't like to pick up on my kinder, gentler side."

Now, did any of you pick up on Omarosa's kinder, gentler side? I have to say that despite microscopic examination of each of the first 13 episodes, I totally missed her kinder, gentler side. I did not miss her laudable work ethic, intelligence, frequent contribution to her teams, but most noteworhty was her case of foot-in-mouth disease translating into rash actions particularly with respect to Piers Morgan. How much of that was the real Omarosa and how much was dictated by Donald Trump and Mark Burnett  delineating what character she was portraying we don't know.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
 :ascared omg she's back and wont go away

Oh please that is Omarosa whatever comes out her mouth and including all her actions

I don't think it was dictated to her to attack Piers and his family, pouring the drink etc.

I don't think anyone buys that she is projected exactly as what she displays and viciously says, grrrr I dislike her :lol:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2008, 05:23:57 PM »
 :groan: Oh great why did I read that. Now I'm in a foul mood  :lol:

And here I was looking forward to some great and brilliant thinking on the upcoming tasks

That is now ruined knowing "O" will be there interferring with her nonsense and all this for drama

Yea okay that is Donald's fault for thinking that is what I was hoping to get out of the show.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »
TV Guide's latest issue has spoken. A performer in the Live Finale show is none other than Trace Adkins. I guess that makes it unlikely that Trace is going to face Piers in the Final 2. It will have to be Lennox unless somebody is throwing some screwballs here.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 10:37:11 PM by apskip »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2008, 07:24:19 PM »
TV Guide's latest issue ahs spoken. A performer in the Live Finale show is none other than Trace Adkins. I guess that makes it unlikely that Trace is goign to face Piers in the Final 2. It will have to be Lennox unless somebody is throwing some screwballs here.

:ascared Interesting, great find apskip.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2008, 01:53:51 PM »
Mark Burnett comenting in yesterday's New York Post on the casting of Omarosa for Celebrity Apprentice:

"Omarosa was someone I was on the fence about, but Trump said she was gonna be great . . . and he was completely right. She delivered and created incredible conflict. And if you haven't got conflict, you don't have a reality show."

Now you know for sure why that great celebrity Omarosa was on the show.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
Mark Burnett comenting in yesterday's New York Post on the casting of Omarosa for Celebrity Apprentice:

"Omarosa was someone I was on the fence about, but Trump said she was gonna be great . . . and he was completely right. She delivered and created incredible conflict. And if you haven't got conflict, you don't have a reality show."

Now you know for sure why that great celebrity Omarosa was on the show.

Thanks for sharing that info apskip

The conflict was created by everyone's dislike for her from the get go.

She didn't have to say anything and Piers would have been on her.

Piers knows who she is and didn't need to work along side her to figure her out.

Piers deserves some credit for the drama that Mark and Donald were hoping to create.

Only his was acceptable in my opinion anyways, and did come out as a winner with that conflict.

I can't wait for tonight  :wohoo:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
Well, most of the answers are in. The late night massacre has been shown on tonight's episode. Jim Cramer and Erin Burnett, big-time business columnists got the opportunity to interview the Final 4 and make recommendations. The thought Lennox was "too laid-back." I thought Lennox answered questions like a chump, not a champ. They hated the ultra-competitive style of Piers. they loved Carol and Trace and recommended that the two of them be the Final 2.

Donald Trump took their recommendation under advisement. He questioned Lennox and discovered that Lennox really did depend on Piers for team success rather than vice-versa. That cooked Lennox' goose and Trump fired him. Then he went after Piers, who told him that being obnoxious and disliked isn't relevant when you can bring in the most money for a charity event. He reminded Trump that his (Piers') style was much like the style that Trump is reputed to have. Trump told Carol and Trace that, even though the columnists recommended that they be the Final 2, he was going to have Piers in the Final 2, so one of them was going to make it and one not. He discovered by questioning that Carol has a high regard for Piers and his methods and the that Trace would never invite Piers to Nashville and hates him. That was enough for Trump to make up his mind. He decided on a Final 2 where the 2 basically hate each other. Carol was fired. Trump congratulated the winners of his elimination contest and told them to show up the next morning for further instructions.

The task turned out to be a Charity Event(what a surprise, since that's what all Apprentice finalists handle) in 2 days. He flipped a coin, told Trace he wins if it is heads and Piers he wins if tails. I thought that just maybe it was a two-headed coin but there was no Omarosa to force onto one's team so why bother to rig  the flip? Trace won and got to pick from 4 eliminated contestants. He picked Lennox, Piers picked Stephen(which surprised both Trump and me), Tracepicked Marilu, and Piers picked Carol who looked very pleased. Both teams are theoretically good teams; the proof will will in how hard and smart they work. My only surprise was that it was not the traditional 6, so Omarosa was not included. She is going to show up somewhere, somehow in this Event. Trace and Piers then negotiated who would be responsible for what functions. Trace wanted and received performing artists relations and decor. Piers got catering and auction operations. Both then selected from a variety of auction items that they were selling. All proceeds for this event were going to be split between Trace's food allergy charity and Piers' war veterans charity.

Trace started in trying to contact a variety of Nashville country music legends. He chartered 2 jets to bring them from Nashville to New York. The one group that is definitely involved is the Back Street Boys, who had very particular specifications for what needs to be in their dressing room. Trace was disgusted by the triviality of some of it and tried to talk them out of some of it. It appeared that he was not succeeding, particularly when a new request for wheatgrass juice was made.

Lennox and Marilu went to shop for decor. Marilu was getting carried away and unable to promptly decide. Lennox gave her a very effective bit of advice that you make a decision and move on, not looking back.

Stephen was supposed to line up a bunch of movie and TV celebrities. He had zero success with this due to the short lead time. It appeared that he was really leaving Piers out on a limb, but I believe this will get rectified somewhat next week. It is not clear just what Carol is doing, although I am sure she is doing it well.

Piers himself was going after British celebrities. He lined up Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York to lend her presence and donate a tea party with her to the Event. Previews of next week indicate that Simon Cowell will attend and there will be an unexpected telephone call into the event (from Prince Charles?, Prince Andrew? somebody important in Britain?).

There are two loose ends that I wish to predict about. First is the report that Trace himself will perform. That is totally logical if he is short on Nashvile talent. Who better than Trace to perform country music? The second is when and how Omarosa is going to show up. I had predicted there was be 6 eliminated contestants coming back and there were only 4, leaving no room for Omarosa.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:48:40 AM by apskip »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2008, 02:53:52 AM »

:tup: Great job apskip

What is up with baldwin. He never had any contacts throughout this season.

Oh well I'm glad he brought his sense of humor.

It's a bit of a waste though, it looks like he lost interest somewhere throughout this season.

I don't know I'm still betting for Piers to win this.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »

:tup: Great job apskip

What is up with baldwin. He never had any contacts throughout this season.

Oh well I'm glad he brought his sense of humor.

It's a bit of a waste though, it looks like he lost interest somewhere throughout this season.

I don't know I'm still betting for Piers to win this.

I'm new at this cabbfan but I hope Piers wins too.  It seems he has much more business sense than Trace. 

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2008, 10:23:49 PM »

I'm new at this cabbfan but I hope Piers wins too.  It seems he has much more business sense than Trace. 

:waves: Hello rosesrred, and a :welcome3: to you

I'm glad to see your an Apprentice fan and it's great to hear you like Piers too.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: March 22, 2008, 08:56:47 AM »
If Trace were not guaranteed half the proceeds of the auction, I would be rooting for him. however, I am a fan of Piers. His style of problem-solving suites me more than the more deliberative approach useed by Trace.

I think it is worthwhile to take a look at the past winners of the 6 Apprentice shows:

1 - Bill Rancic
2- Kelly Perdew
3- Kendra Todd
4- Randal Pinkett
5-Sean Yasbeck
6-Stephanie Schaefer

Are any of these really memorable? I see Randal in the news occasionally but I live in new jersey near where he lives. Bill Rancic occasionally shows up from time to time on NBC. Kendra, Sean and Stephanie are almost invisible.

My point is that the Celebrity Apprentice is a superior concept for having real celebrities compete for charity than having non-celebrities compete for a job. I had a lot more fun with Celebrity Apprentice than any Apprentice season. I am glad that Trump and Burnett decided to do Celebriaty Apprentice 2 and show it next January. Bravo!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2008, 10:35:30 AM »
I don’t know but Trace, he’s just too laid back for me, so much that I would get impatient. I’m more of a quick brainstorm and let’s get it done. He’s very intelligent but not an effective speaker. I mean I can slow down and listen to him and he wouldn’t kill my drive but Piers would definitely bring a level of enthusiasm out of me and I guess a greater joy to deal with but that’s just more personal with me.

The only person that is kinda sorta memorable to me is Bill. I did come across news articles with him but nothing recently but the fact that I can’t recall what it was related to says it all.

As for The Celebrity Apprentice who knew it would be a success oh wait a minute probably Donald seeing this is what he does basically but only televised. Boy what I wouldn’t do to actually get a sit in on one of his actual boardroom meetings. I’ve been to many myself. There are ones that make me feel great leaving them and some that need help you bet I moved on that’s just life.

I can't wait for Celebrity Apprentice 2.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2008, 01:48:45 PM »
I really enjoyed Celebrity Apprentice much more than I thought I would, too.   I am so glad that they are making a 2 thank you for that info Askip.  As for the other winners the first is the only memorable one to me and that's because he is just got married to Giuliana DePandi from E News!  I can't wait to see who will be on.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2008, 03:33:24 PM »
I really enjoyed Celebrity Apprentice much more than I thought I would, too.   I am so glad that they are making a 2 thank you for that info Askip.  As for the other winners the first is the only memorable one to me and that's because he is just got married to Giuliana DePandi from E News!  I can't wait to see who will be on.

Your right, I wonder who will be the next celebrity Donald chooses for the drama factor.