Author Topic: David and Mary Conley -TAR10  (Read 56767 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
David and Mary Conley -TAR10
« on: July 15, 2006, 09:43:37 PM »

Names: David and Mary Conley
Ages: 32, 31
Occupations: Coal miner, homemaker
Hometown: Stone, Ky.
Relationship: Married parents

Name: David Conley

Name: Mary Conley

Relationship: Married Parents

David and Mary are married parents who met while working at McDonald's 10 years ago. David was in the Army and did some traveling while Mary can count on one hand how many times she's been on a plane. This hard-working couple is eager to expand their horizons and see the world.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:57:03 PM by puddin »

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
Re: David and Mary Conley -TAR10
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 11:51:19 PM »
Here is some info about Mary & David from their home state of Kentucky :hrt:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/entertainment/15062074.htm

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 11:56:25 PM »
This is from Mary & David's Pike County, Kentucky newspaper.  Good Luck May-Day! :hrt:

Local couple to “race” across Asia

EXPRESS STAFF REPORT

A Pike County couple will get to travel across the globe and have a shot at winning $1 million as competitors on the “The Amazing Race” television show on CBS this fall.

The reality show will feature David and Mary Conley of Stone, the married parents of three children, as one of 12 teams during the upcoming season, the network announced.

David Conley is a 32-year-old coal miner and Mary Conley is a 31-year-old homemaker, according to a CBS press release.

The network describes the Conleys as a couple who met while working at McDonald's 10 years ago. They say David was in the Army and did some traveling, while Mary can count on one hand how many times she's been on a plane.

“We think it is amazing that out of all of the thousands of people who could have been chosen, they were chosen,” David Conley's stepmother, Maddie Conley, told the News-Express yesterday.

She said the Conleys live on Mullens Fork Road in Stone. David Conley grew up in Stone, while Mary Cline Conley was raised in South Williamson.

Maddie Conley added that the family is very excited for David and Mary.

“They'll get to do something that very few people get to do. It is an exciting thing!” she said.

The press release says “This hard-working couple is eager to expand their horizons and see the world,” which they will certainly get to do on the show.

“The Amazing Race 10” features 12 teams of two on a trek around the world for approximately 30 days. At every destination, each team will compete in a series of challenges - some mental and some physical - and only when the tasks have been completed will they learn their next destination.

Teams who are farthest behind will gradually be eliminated as the contest progresses, with the first team to arrive at the final destination winning $1 million.

The show will premiere in September on a new night and time, airing Sundays at 8 p.m., according to CBS.

Story created Jul 18, 2006 - 19:26:37 CDT.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:16:30 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 12:10:39 AM »
Oh hiya kygirl  thank you so much ! Do you know the Conley's ?  :hithere:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 02:33:19 AM »
The Conley's sound like a cool down-to-earth couple!  :tup:  Hope they get along good and aren't a squabbling couple!!

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 11:30:51 AM »
Yes Puddin, I do know the Conley's and yes Rudy Rules they are the most down to Earth people.  We have been best friends for ever. There is no doubt  that America will love this couple. They make friends everywhere they go. Of course all married couples have differences, but Mary don't take ANYTHING from ANYONE.  She tells it straight up. They are great parents and very hard workers. They will stop at nothing to get the job ahead of them done. :hrt: Go May-Day!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 11:56:09 AM »
Well welcome again kygirl , its really nice to have someone that is friends with a pair of racers posting .Thanks for filling us in on David & Mary !We all look forward to your insights on the team when the Race starts :yaya:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 06:50:35 PM »
Yes Puddin, I do know the Conley's and yes Rudy Rules they are the most down to Earth people.  We have been best friends for ever. There is no doubt  that America will love this couple. They make friends everywhere they go. Of course all married couples have differences, but Mary don't take ANYTHING from ANYONE.  She tells it straight up. They are great parents and very hard workers. They will stop at nothing to get the job ahead of them done. :hrt: Go May-Day!
  Wow, that is sooo way cool that you know them personally and have shared this great info with us!   :ty3:  :ty3: kygirl!  The May-Day nickname is a clever TEAM name for MArY & DAvid (I bet he's called DAvY in KY!)   Looking forward to "meeting" them in TAR in Sept!  :jumpy:
kygirl, if I haven't said so already...  :welcome: to RFF!  We're so happy you joined, and look forward to seeing you often!  :tup:

Cheers!
Ruday  :yaya:

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks RudyRules for the welcome.  I have came across a couple of closer pictures of Mary & David and just wanted to share.
http://www.realitytvworld.com/realitytvdb/mary-conley/person-781
and
http://www.realitytvworld.com/realitytvdb/david-conley/person-780
.  Go Mary & David.   :hearts:  I changed my name from kygirl to kentuckygirl because a good friend informed me what others may say about kygirl.  thanks erwin!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 11:48:23 AM by kentuckygirl »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 01:28:24 PM »
I changed my name from kygirl to kentuckygirl because a good friend informed me what others may say about kygirl.  thanks erwin!
  :lol3: Good idea kentuckygirl  !!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 08:07:03 AM »
Thanks bunches for the nice photos,  kentuckygirl!  The Conleys are a good looking couple.
So they're BOTH coal miners, huh?  Wow, what a life and a dangerous one! 

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 11:59:16 PM »
Sorry Rudy Rules they both are not coal miners.  On Mary's bio it says she is a homemaker.  On the link provided the occupation listed for Mary is wrong.  Her real occupation is domestic goddess.  Which in turn makes her a wife, mother of 3 great children, best friend, nurse, doctor, cook, housekeeper, taxi driver, teacher and many more things but a coal miner she definitely is not.  She worries herself sick everyday that David leaves the house until he gets home but she hangs in there.  Mary & David  I am so proud of the both of you. :hrt:  :angel:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 01:15:17 AM »
Hurray for Mary & David !! I love regular people as opposed to actors/models !! I hope the website is up soon !

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 12:11:07 PM »
hey kentuckygirl . .  since you know them how about a recap of how you think they did in each show after it airs.  Would be nice to have a friend's opinion.

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 12:28:07 PM »
No problem.  I would  love to do a recap of Mary & David after each of the shows.  After all, I am their biggest fan! :angel:

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 01:03:40 PM »
woo hoo!  Now you are stuck  with us for TAR!!!  :bliss: :piano:

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 10:52:53 AM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 10:55:19 AM »
thank you mwooden  :jumpy:

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 12:34:29 PM »
 :hearts:
Go Mary & David.  I told you they are just your normal everyday people. No surprises there.  Of course I love the "Mommy's Little Angels"  I am so proud of you both. :angel:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 02:00:27 PM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 06:54:04 PM »
 :hearts: 
I am so proud of you Mary & David.  I enjoyed your video.  Real, normal, everyday people just trying to make their kids and family proud. :hrt: 

Offline FrostieJ

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Racer
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 08:22:15 PM »
 :hearts: :hrt: :love2: :hrt: :hearts: :love2: :jumpy: :woohoo: :waves:

I am rooting for this couple.  One of my two top picks.

Go Mary and David!
Somebody buy me a drink!

Offline Cheyenne

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 08:28:41 PM »
I think David and Mary are going to be awesome!  :js: They're one of my top 4 favs.

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2006, 11:51:28 PM »
thanls for sharing  kentuckygirl  :hearts:

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 09:00:38 AM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 10:05:49 AM »
Oh the children are just too cute !! :hearts:

Offline FrostieJ

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Racer
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 08:38:16 PM »
Oh how I love this team :luvu:  Can't wait for the season to begin! :jumpy: :hearts: :woohoo:
Somebody buy me a drink!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2006, 03:21:31 AM »
I like to share.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/kentuckygirl1989/MDfamily.jpg
kentuckygirl! Thank you so much for sharing the photos of this awesome family!  What sweetie kiddos they have!  :-*  I'm looking forward to TAR10 just to meet David & Mary!  :hearts:
  :hrt:  :hugs:
Ruday

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2006, 03:27:42 AM »
Kogs, tks for posting the video link. :tup:  I watched it and they are such down to earth folks!  Love 'em! :luvu:   

Offline FrostieJ

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Racer
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 09:12:34 AM »
 :gammy: :dance: :piano: :jiggy:  I am antsy now...two FRICKIN' weeks to go!  AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Go Mary and David!!!  What a breath of fresh air you are. 
Somebody buy me a drink!

Offline Aventus

• RFF Full Member
  • Jumping the shark?!.
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 05:46:05 PM »
Wow, it's cool to have someone close to the contestants.

As I see them, they can easily be one of the top 4, but again, I can be wrong (hopefully not)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2006, 10:45:40 AM »

Tom Dorsey
Kentucky couple at the gate for 'Race'
By Tom Dorsey
tdorsey@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

By Tom Dorsey
tdorsey@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

If good old-fashioned gumption will get them to the finish line first, a Kentucky couple ought to win the 10th edition of CBS' "The Amazing Race," which is off and running with a new season this weekend.

Dave and Mary Conley of Stone (population about 300) in Pike County will be among a dozen couples competing when the racers bolt from the starting gate Sunday from 8:30 to 10 p.m. on CBS.

The race was taped earlier this year, but the contestants can't talk about it until it's over or they get sent home. But that didn't stop Rita Hatfield of Hardy, Ky., from speaking up for the Conleys in a phone interview this week.

"Mary is my sister and my best friend," said Hatfield. The Conleys have three kids, ages 10, 5 and 6. She's 31 and he's 32.

"Dave Jr. works as a boss in a coal mine, and he calls her a homemaker," said Hatfield, "but she is a domestic goddess … a mother, teacher, taxi-cab driver, nurse and doctor."

Hatfield said the Conleys aren't in it for the million-dollar prize but would certainly have plenty of places to use the money. "With three kids, there's no lack of things they could do with it, but they want it for college educations," Hatfield said. The big reason her sister applied was to make a point.

"Mary has always loved 'The Amazing Race,' " said Hatfield. "She wanted to prove she could do something … to show that she's not just a homemaker, that she can get out there and compete."

Her husband would have preferred "Survivor" but was willing and open for any contest.

"They'll make a great team," said Hatfield, "because Mary is very smart and willing to try anything, and Dave Jr. is very competitive … a hard worker, and when he starts something he finishes it."

There's a lot to finish on this latest "Amazing Race," which will cover 40,000 miles with stopovers in 13 countries. There will be challenges to master in places from Madagascar to Mongolia. Competitors will travel to Kuwait, Hanoi and Beijing, where they will search for clues in the Forbidden City and have to climb the Great Wall of China.
Being in shape is a key factor.

"Mary lost from a size 16 to an 8 in about three months to get ready," said Hatfield. "She worked out big time, dieted and did everything." Her husband is an Army veteran and has kept in shape working in the mines.

Mary was born in Williamson, W.Va., and was a newspaper carrier for 10 years before she went away to Bible college to become a teacher. The couple met while working at a McDonald's during a summer break a decade ago and got married.

Hatfield thinks they'll work well together, which is an essential ingredient of winning "The Amazing Race," where team members have been known to blow it by spouting off.

"Mary won't take it from anybody," her sister said. "If they have a little squabble, she tells him right then. She's like our mother. She tells people up front what she thinks."

The other teams are the diverse melting pot that "The Amazing Race" likes to stir up. They include Muslims from Ohio, a Rockette and a beauty queen, two male models, an Indian-American pair who speak multiple languages, two brothers, a pair of former South Carolina cheerleaders and Iron Man competitors, one of whom lost a leg at age 7.

The Conleys don't have anything big planned for opening night, even though the couple are the talk of the town. "We're just planning to get together at her house and watch it with the kids," Hatfield said.

She insists she doesn't know if her sister and brother-in-law won. "I did ask her, and she told me: 'Rita, you know I'm under contract; I can't tell you.' "

Can she tell anything from the way they're acting?

"I kind of have an idea, but I don't know for sure," said Hatfield. Unofficial updates have popped up all over the Internet.

"I've seen things about how far they've gone from pictures, but I really don't have any idea," said Hatfield. "I have a feeling they did win, though, because they are very, very tough competitors."

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060915/COLUMNISTS15/609150318

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2006, 11:15:38 AM »
Mary & David are also in "USA Today".  In Robert Bianco's section.  Oh yeah, by the way we finally have an actual name for kentuckygirl, Mary's sister, Rita.  One more thing in today's "New York Daily News" it states what the delicacy eaten on the first leg of the race is. I will post the answer in the spoiler section.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2006, 10:17:02 AM »
Locals to appear on national televsion tonight

BY RACHEL C. STANLEY

EDITOR

A Pike County couple will appear in the 10th season of “The Amazing Race” television show on CBS, which premieres tonight at 8:30 p.m.

Competitors David and Mary Conley of Stone, the married parents of three children, say in CBS interviews they have been exercising and practicing speaking in several languages to get ready for the race, which covers more than 40,000 miles in under 30 days.

They are one of 12 teams competing for a $1 million prize. Teams will travel to such exotic locations as Kuwait, Mongolia, Beijing, Madagascar and Hanoi, Vietnam.

David Conley is a 32-year-old coal miner and Mary Conley is a 31-year-old homemaker. According to an interview on the CBS Web site, the Conleys met after he got out of the Army and she finished college, when they were both working at McDonald’s. Now, they have three kids — a 10-year-old, a 6-year-old and a 5-year-old.

“They can be angels or devils, it’s according to how you look at it,” David Conley says in the interview.

He says he began by trying out for “Survivor,” another CBS reality show, and got to the second round before getting a call from Amazing Race.

Conley says his tough career underground has him ready for anything. “I am a coal miner — I’m prepared. She’s been preparing,” he says of his wife.

Mary Conley told CBS she has been preparing by exercising regularly. “I was a size 16 when the Amazing Race called me, and now I’m a size 8.”

The couple also say they have a plan for how to win.

“I plan on doing the risky stuff — I want to,” Mary Conley says in the interview, while she’ll leave the more physical tasks to her husband.

“We’re hoping people’s going to underestimate us, just because we’re from Kentucky,” David Conley adds.

On the CBS tape, they also seem confident.

“We’re going to win,” Mary Conley tells the camera.

The Conleys live on Mullens Fork Road in Stone. David Conley grew up in Stone, while Mary Cline Conley was raised in South Williamson.

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2006/09/17/news/02race.txt

Offline PotatosPunkGirl

• Big Brother Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2006, 09:25:40 PM »
Ok..I was liking this couple from all of the talk I have been seeing about them...but..no offense to anyone here who knows them....I wasn't thrilled with the way David was treating Mary on the show...UNTIL when she got over the wall, he had nothing really to say to her(good or bad)...and then one of the only times I did hear him say something, he was telling her to be quiet.....I hope I am wrong...because I was really liking them...

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2006, 09:53:23 PM »
the thing is PPG is the editing might have shown them that way .. they cut stuff ....
Love ya Mary & David !!  :hearts:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2006, 03:21:23 AM »
Like PPG, I was disappointed in David.  He seems too critical and impatient towards Mary.  I hope you're right puddin...about the editing.  I still support them and wish them well, but if David keeps on as he did tonight, it will be very hard for me to respect or like him.  Mary does not deserve the way he spoke to her...I don't care whether it's a Kentucky "thing" for the man to be the BOSS...a man can be the boss w/o treating his woman like dirt.  :umn:   

Offline whend

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2006, 05:55:02 AM »
I agree,not crazy about this guy although his wife seems nice.Don't you hate it when you have one person you like and one you don't?

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2006, 10:20:10 AM »
All I can say is she made it up the wall!!!

Offline Aventus

• RFF Full Member
  • Jumping the shark?!.
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2006, 10:35:23 AM »
Was it only me or he was trying to encourage her (on the wall) and all she could say is "Just shut up".

Boy, are you serious? He tried to help her, teach her how to climb that wall and she was... well, it's probably just me because you guys are saying exactly the opposite.

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2006, 10:38:08 AM »
He was trying to help her on the wall and she did tell him several times to shut up.  And he did say he was proud of her for making it up the wall, he did not think she would make it.  Was it him that said she would have some proud kids?

Offline s1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2006, 10:45:34 AM »
Hi Rudy,

I want to first say that it isn't a Kentucky "thing" for the man to be the BOSS.  I cringed when I heard Mary speak those words last night but it isn't just a Kentucky "thing".  You will find that type of male mentality (or lack thereof) in every state and every country.  It is prevalent in some cultures.  Is it right.  No!!!   I was born in eastern Kentucky about an hours drive from Stone.  I have lived here for over 40 years in a town only slightly bigger than Stone.  I just get tired of fighting the stereotypes.

That being said Mary seems to be able to take care of herself.  When she was trying to climb the wall it seemed to me that her husband was being supportinve and trying to help and all she did was shout at him, telling him to shut up.  In the beginning they were both nervous and at the end they were working under major stress sure they were going to be eliminated.  This is a combination of emotions that can easily bring out the worst in any of us and cause us to say things that we don't really mean.

I don't want anyone to think that I am picking on Rudy.  :kuss: I'm  not his post was just the one that caught my attention.  I've read these forums for a long time, have no problems with Rudy and usually agree with him.  

I just hope this experience will expand the horizons of Mary and her husband and she can bring this back to their children.  

Offline Aventus

• RFF Full Member
  • Jumping the shark?!.
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2006, 10:57:06 AM »
He was trying to help her on the wall and she did tell him several times to shut up.  And he did say he was proud of her for making it up the wall, he did not think she would make it.  Was it him that said she would have some proud kids?
Exactly. Well, he said he thought she was not going to make it, but, at least for me, this is another (twisted) way to say that she can do things that even she didn't believe (she said herself that she coldn't see herselk climbing that wall). And yes, he was the one that said the thing about the proudest kids.

Offline PotatosPunkGirl

• Big Brother Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2006, 07:08:14 PM »
Ok..I was liking this couple from all of the talk I have been seeing about them...but..no offense to anyone here who knows them....I wasn't thrilled with the way David was treating Mary on the show...UNTIL when she got over the wall, he had nothing really to say to her(good or bad)...and then one of the only times I did hear him say something, he was telling her to be quiet.....I hope I am wrong...because I was really liking them...

Seeeee.......I said he had nothing to say to her (that i liked anyways) UNTIL the wall.......I did agree he was nice to her after that.....Im really not anti David and Mary...just hope he treats her better....

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2006, 10:56:22 PM »
Oh the way me & my bf yell at each other is much worse than Mary & David   :lol: .. they probably laughed about it later like we so . I can't even imagine the pressure these teams must be under especially when you see other teams passing you and not knowing whos ahead of you . :hrt:

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2006, 10:34:24 AM »
I am sure that they had a big laugh about the way they were edited. And no Mary doesn't just sit at home taking care of the kids while David Jr. makes the decisions.  It's like  I have said before she doesn't take anything from anyone. Mary was saying that the way some people may think is that women take care of the kids and the men make the decisions but not in her household it is 50-50. She just wants to prove that she can compete as well as her husband.

Offline Shaquan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2006, 09:11:46 AM »
I keep thinking her glasses are going to fall off her face- I wanna yell at the TV and tell her to push them up her nose before they fall off!!

Offline FrostieJ

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Racer
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2006, 10:40:22 AM »
 :ghug: <-----Me, Mary, David and their three kids.

Sending much love to them.  BTW when I am trying to do something that is stressing me out...and my husband is standing there telling me how to do it...I have been known to tell him to shut up.  "Shut up" is very endearing in the Southern US....and with us "hicks"...it means ... "Honey, I know that you have already done this and you are really trying to be kind and help, but for right now, can you just let me try to see if I can do it on my own?".   We just like to save our words for other things, and "shut up" is easier.

go Mary and David!! :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:
Somebody buy me a drink!

Offline Aventus

• RFF Full Member
  • Jumping the shark?!.
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »
:ghug: <-----Me, Mary, David and their three kids.

Sending much love to them.  BTW when I am trying to do something that is stressing me out...and my husband is standing there telling me how to do it...I have been known to tell him to shut up.  "Shut up" is very endearing in the Southern US....and with us "hicks"...it means ... "Honey, I know that you have already done this and you are really trying to be kind and help, but for right now, can you just let me try to see if I can do it on my own?".   We just like to save our words for other things, and "shut up" is easier.

go Mary and David!! :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:
:lol:

Now everything makes much more sense.

:lol:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2006, 08:07:50 AM »
Hi Rudy,

I want to first say that it isn't a Kentucky "thing" for the man to be the BOSS.  I cringed when I heard Mary speak those words last night but it isn't just a Kentucky "thing".  You will find that type of male mentality (or lack thereof) in every state and every country.  It is prevalent in some cultures.  Is it right.  No!!!   I was born in eastern Kentucky about an hours drive from Stone.  I have lived here for over 40 years in a town only slightly bigger than Stone.  I just get tired of fighting the stereotypes.

That being said Mary seems to be able to take care of herself.  When she was trying to climb the wall it seemed to me that her husband was being supportinve and trying to help and all she did was shout at him, telling him to shut up.  In the beginning they were both nervous and at the end they were working under major stress sure they were going to be eliminated.  This is a combination of emotions that can easily bring out the worst in any of us and cause us to say things that we don't really mean.

I don't want anyone to think that I am picking on Rudy.  :kuss: I'm  not his post was just the one that caught my attention.  I've read these forums for a long time, have no problems with Rudy and usually agree with him.  

I just hope this experience will expand the horizons of Mary and her husband and she can bring this back to their children.  
Well, I'm eating crow!  :groan:  After I posted about David and Mary, I rewatched my tape and you all are right.  Mary told him to shut up and actually, they were going back n' forth at each other...AND there were compliments as well between them.  So, I apologize for not getting the facts right...and for my hasty misjudgement this fine couple.  Sorry if I offended anyone.  :-\  Didn't mean to. 
Oh & btw, me's a SHE!  I'm a crazy ladiiiee, crazy in love with Rudy Boesch, from Survivor One!  :luvu:

Love ya all,
Ruday  :hrt:   :luvu:  :hugs:

p.s.  Sorry I didn't get back here sooner to respond...it's been a crazy, busy week for me!
Also, s1...just want to give you a very warm !!!!  We're very happy to have you here!  We welcome and appreciate your comments!  :tup:

Offline s1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2006, 10:02:07 PM »
Thanks Rudy and somewhere in the deep recesses of my wandering mind seems like I knew you were a she not a he.  Sorry about that.  And I am very familiar with thee Rudy.  Loved him in Survivor 1 or S1 hence my username.  I'm not a frequent poster but am a constant reader.  I am always amazed at the thorough job the people on this site do in studying all the vidcaps.  It's also nice to be able to discuss the show, offer a different opinion and not be made to feel like you're an "idiot" because you disagreed with someone.   I'm sure puddin' knows what I'm talking about.  I look forward to hanging around!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2006, 02:13:45 AM »
S1 is a cool username...short n' sweet!  :tup:  I figured you must be a fan of Survivor1 and probably Rudy!  Incidentally  :ot:   ....did you know Rudy had open heart surgery in August?  I posted about it here somewhere  ???  ....In one of the S13 topics.   Anything/Everything 
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,10648.0.html  )

Get Well wishes can be sent from: 
http://home.hamptonroads.com/guestbook/guestbook.cfm?id=681 

Back on topic...I wish David & Mary the best!  :hearts:  I'm rooting for them to get in the finals!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 04:20:52 AM by RudyRules »

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2006, 02:31:47 PM »
Mary & David I am so proud of you for hanging in there.  I know with your foot hurt Mary, the tasks had to be painful but as David said "suck it up" for your kids. You both are so entertaining to watch on TV as well as in real life. :hrt:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »
Some Mary & David love  :hearts:

Offline FrostieJ

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Racer
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2006, 03:26:35 PM »
 :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mary and David I LOVE you!!!!  I should have done the race with Mary....or one of her sisters. :umn:   I want to move to Kentucky and be an adopted sister of Mary's. :woohoo:  Who's in?
Somebody buy me a drink!

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2006, 10:16:47 PM »
Frostie J you are very welcome to come to Kentucky.  We have a big family so what's one more sister?  Good Luck Team Wildcat! Go Mary & David Jr. :hrt:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2006, 04:17:57 AM »
Kudos to David and Mary...!  :yess:  :jam:  Hope your foot heals up fast Mary.  :tup:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2006, 03:06:43 PM »
So happy David and Mary are still in the Race, but sorry they fell victim to the new rules in a non-elimination.  Gosh, a 30 min penalty?!  :groan:  Well I just wish them God speed and a whole bunch of good luck, b/c they're gonna need it!!   I sooo hope things go their way and they STAY in the Race!!  Even if they don't make it to the end, if they could get to F4  or F5, that would be great!  :hearts:   :hrt:

Offline tanbuns

• Puddin's Boy Toy
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Birthday Jesus
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »
I live just south of you guys in Tennessee. But I do identify greatly with David and Mary. Despite all their bickering at times, I feel they have been edited pretty favorably. They have been shown supporting each other, and encouraging several of the other teams!!! I am proud that this poor family has gotten to experience this once in a lifetime trip around the world.

I wish The Powers That Be would select more down to earth teams like this, instead of so many model and actor wannabes!!!  (:;)

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2006, 02:26:44 PM »
 :ythat:  Ah yes, Tan...not only down to earth folks on TAR, but on Survivor too!!
 :jam: 

I truly appreciate peeps like D/M and their willingness to help other teams.  What comes around goes around and hopefully that will be the case for them, and 1 or 2 teams will reciprocate.  They sure do need help in the next eppy!  :tup:   :yess:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2006, 10:29:31 AM »

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2006, 10:36:36 AM »
there on the view right now!!!!!!!!

Offline s1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2006, 10:46:44 AM »
The View just gave them a Ford Explorer and a HOUSE!!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2006, 10:58:50 AM »

Bashful

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2006, 12:51:27 PM »
Thanks for mentioning that Dave and Mary were on The View.  I read that about 45 minutes before they were on here on the west coast!  They compiled a nice montage of clips showing the kindness of Dave and Mary; it was awesome.  Then Rosie told them all the things they were getting....it was so touching.  I was laughing and crying at the same time!  Just imagine the gifts they would have received if they had actually WON!!!    :yess:

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Save A Horse...Ride a Cowboy
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2006, 01:15:11 PM »
its amazing they didn't even apply for Amazing race and they got selected based on david's career.

yeah i can't picture him on survivor!! lol
~Honesty Is The Best Policy, But Insanity Is A Better Defense~
~Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Don't Have Film~

Bashful

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2006, 02:00:19 PM »
I agree with you, CeeJay.  The fact Dave and Mary were chosen for TAR really underscores the fact that there is a lot of LUCK--being in the right place at the right time--involved in being on these reality shows. 

In general, just what is the percentage of contestants that are recruited, or sought after, rather than merely chosen on the basis of their applications?  I think we've learned that it's fairly high.  My one gripe is that there should be more average, working people on the reality shows.  The producers of TAR choosing Dave and Mary was excellent, and overall, I think this season does show more of what TAR should be...excluding the models, cheerleaders and beauty queens!  Though, I must admit the BQs are doing pretty well, and how do they manage to stay in such a good mood all the time?   :lol:   Deprived of food and sleep, and add STRESS, I just become a female Mr. Hyde!    :o    :-[

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Save A Horse...Ride a Cowboy
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2006, 02:06:17 PM »
hahahah....
i think they actually have a shot!

i'm thinking bama goes next week I have not read spoilers and don't know anything..this is just my opinion.

I just wish that they will open up applications to Canadians.  Mark Burnett allowed it for Rockstar and a Canadian won each season. .... so why not amazing race and survivor????
~Honesty Is The Best Policy, But Insanity Is A Better Defense~
~Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Don't Have Film~

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2006, 02:51:11 PM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2006, 11:43:24 PM »
thanks banzai  :waves:

Here's IGN's interview..now I want to know if anyone else found themselves reading it in David & Mary voices?  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Mary & David's TV Guide interview
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »
Mary & David's TV Guide interview

From Amazing Race to The View: Team Kentucky Recalls Their Wild Ride
by Rochell D. Thomas

Team Kentucky, The Amazing Race
 You have to know that you're a much-loved Amazing Race team when a show on a competing network hooks you up with lavish gifts. That's exactly what happened to Kentucky coalminer David Conley and his wife, Mary, this Tuesday when the CBS reality show cast-offs visited ABC's The View. "I can't even tell you how much I love them," Rosie O'Donnell told the studio audience before showering the couple with a new computer, a car, three family vacations and a house, among other things. TVGuide.com talked to Team Kentucky before their visit to that giftathon, er, The View. Here's what they had to say.
TVGuide.com: You two just might be the most popular team this season. Why do you think America loves you?
Mary: Because they never have just normal people on [The Amazing Race], ya know?
David: It's always actors and models and beauty queens — people who've got nice jobs. A lot of the audience is just normal people like us. That's why America likes us.

TVGuide.com: Mary, in the last episode you said The Amazing Race changed the way you want to raise your children. What are you doing differently?
Mary: On Labor Day we took the kids to Alabama to visit the ‘Bama girls. Cody, our oldest son — he's 10; Davy [just turned] 6 on Wednesday; and Hannah, she's going to be 7 Monday, the 13th. We'd never taken them anywhere, really. And then we gave them a choice of this summer coming up, of all the friends that we have now around the United States, "Where do you want to go?" They want to come to New York.

TVGuide.com: So you're going to do sort of an Amazing Race tour and visit team after team?
Mary: Yeah, that's what we want to do. We'll visit Tom and Terry in New York.

TVGuide.com: David, how did you manage to get time off from the mine to do The Amazing Race?
David: Well, I just told them I signed up for a reality show, and I really wanted the time off. They didn't act like it was really a big deal or nothin'. And I reckon they're happy they gave me the time off.

TVGuide.com: Why? Did they have viewing parties for you each week?
Mary: No, we've been mostly keeping it to us and the kids and [David's] daddy. You don't know what they're going to show on TV, and I don't want other people to see me crying. We're very emotional people. It's just every week after every week reminds me of when I was on The Race.

TVGuide.com: Which episodes made you cry?
Mary: Kuwait, with the Chos. And the last night was horrible for us. My kids really thought we won a million dollars, and that was the first time that they'd know that we didn't win.

TVGuide.com: Why'd they think you won?
David: Because they'd ask us all the time, "Mom and Daddy, did you win?" And we were like, "Honey, we can't tell you." But because we didn't tell them that we did not win the million, I reckon in their little hearts they thought since we were still on TV, we won.
Mary: We had to be here in New York. But I wanted to be there with them, because I know that their little hearts were broken.
David: She cried herself to sleep.

TVGuide.com: On to a happier subject: You won a trip to Jamaica during the Kuwait leg. When will you take it?
David: We gave it away to my dad because we was gone so long and he watched the kids.

TVGuide.com: You're too kind. What was your favorite part of The Race?
Mary: I'll tell you it wasn't climbing the Great Wall of China, because I didn't want to be there. Oh, lord have mercy, no! I did not like that all. The hardest thing I've ever done in my life is climb that Great Wall of China.
David: I really loved, loved being in Vietnam. Especially the second leg.

TVGuide.com: Isn't that the leg where you had to pull the oyster baskets? Why was that one of your favorites, when deep water is one of your biggest fears?
David: Because I got to conquer that fear, and then just being in Vietnam woke me up to the fact that I was on a race. I hadn't ever rowed a boat or been out in the ocean.... And for me, it changed my life. I would want to put a kid in a boat now.

TVGuide.com: What'd you think of swimming across the bay in Mauritius?
David: I didn't like that...
Mary: Because, honestly, we just don't know how to swim.
David: We go to swimming pools, but we'd never been in the ocean, really. That was difficult. I didn't know it was that hard to swim with a life jacket on. And it seemed like the boat was just getting farther and farther away, like we couldn't ever get to it. Then they tell us, "Turn around and swim back!"

TVGuide.com: How did you feel when you found the Cho brothers waiting for you.
Mary: That was so sweet. You know that's not the first time they did that. In Mongolia, we were following them, and they stopped traffic because we'd gotten lost. We're going, "Just keep looking for the Chos," and the next thing we know, there's Erwin standing in the middle of the highway waving his hands.

TVGuide.com: So did the six-pack alliance start with the Chos?
Mary: It was a little bit of both of us. When I talked to the producers, I told them, "We can't win this game without an alliance."

TVGuide.com: What did you think when you came in last place the second time, then found out you weren't eliminated again?
David: That was kind of...
Mary: Shocking. We honestly thought we were gone.

TVGuide.com: Did other teams treat you differently, like you'd been favored?
David: A few did.
Mary: Yeah. The first one, quite a few did. But the second one just made it worse. They were ready to "get rid of Kentucky."

TVGuide.com: They said that to you?
Mary: No, we could just tell. During the race it was so much of a division between [the Models, the Beauty Queens, Rob and Kimberly] and us. They didn't want anything to do with us, and obviously, we didn't want anything to do with them. And so, they would have their own talks, and you could hear them talking.
David: Watching at home, you probably think on airplanes we're getting sleep, but you're trying to get your locals to write down what you need in their language. You've also got one eye open and one eye shut, because other teams are making alliances. They never liked us from the beginning. We just knew it.

TVGuide.com: When you hurt your ankle in Mongolia, did you go to a doctor there?
Mary: No, actually, I didn't see a doctor until the second leg in Vietnam. My ankle was as big as my thigh at that point.

TVGuide.com: What was that like?
Mary: Wow. A group of five doctors and nurses came in. They were scaring me to death. They did an EKG on me like they figured everything in the world was wrong with me. I kept telling them, it's not my heart. It's my ankle. But they said it was badly sprained.

TVGuide.com: Towards the end,  you looked slimmer. How much did you lose?
Mary: Honestly, I don't know. I don't ever weigh myself, but I can tell you my clothes were falling off me. It's the most [exercise] I had ever done in my whole life, and I wasn't eating at all. We were afraid to spend our money because you don't know when you've got to get a cab ride. At the pit stop they mostly had seafood. I think they figured everybody loves seafood. And I don't.
David: And if you were in China you eat the Chinese food. They had a lot of seafood, but they had the noodles and the soy sauce, and we'd never eaten stuff like that. We still don't like that.

TVGuide.com: Where'd you have the best food?
David: Kuwait. It was almost American.
Mary: We went to Burger King, that's why he's saying that.

TVGuide.com: How'd you even find a Burger King in Kuwait?
Mary: We were in the airport for a long, long time, because it's when we got first place. We got to beg for money, and it was so fun. These people didn't mind [giving] their money away, and the first thing on his mind was Burger King.

TVGuide.com: Odd question: Now that you're back and life's changing, what are your New Year's resolutions?
Mary: My New Year's resolution, and this time I really mean it, is I'm going to lose weight.
David: My New Year's resolution is to quit smoking. I quit smoking before I went on The Race, but since I've gotten back, I might smoke 10 a day.

TVGuide.com: So you were going through nicotine withdrawal on The Race?
David: Oh, no. Forget cigarettes. The thing that got me was no Mountain Dew. I drink probably 12 cans a day.
Mary: At least. Of the regular kind, and not diet.
David: Yeah, well. I like it, and I need my caffeine. But that was the hard thing for me. The Cho brothers made fun of me because everywhere we went I was looking for my Mountain Dew. Why doesn't any country have Mountain Dew?
Mary: Because they probably know it isn't good for you.

TVGuide.com: Have you heard from Steven Seagal yet?
Mary: No! [Laughs] I would freak out if I did, actually. We've got all his movies. We watch them all the time.

Offline kentuckygirl

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Mary & David
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2006, 10:28:21 PM »
I found this neat website and just want to share
http://www.ilikekentucky.com/   Go Mary & David! Good Luck in whatever you do next.  I love you sissy :hearts:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »
I'm so sorry they did not win kg  :-*.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2006, 07:23:51 PM »
I REALLY missed David & Mary on the last show.  Drat, wish they could've made it to the final 2 or 3 at least.  They are such loving down-to-earth, just common folks, with loving, giving hearts.  How nice of them to give the Jamaica vacation to David's dad for taking care of their sweetie children!

Considering they've hardly been out of Kentucky or their neighborhood, they did a fantastic job on TAR...the swimming, climbing and all.  They got along real well for the most part. 
:congrats: Dave n' Mary for making it to F5, and for winning some great pit stop prizes...also prizes from The View!!  Fantastic!  :yess:

As Bashful said, & I can't agree more...
"....there should be more average, working people on the reality shows.  The producers of TAR choosing Dave and Mary was excellent, and overall, I think this season does show more of what TAR should be...excluding the models, cheerleaders and beauty queens!  Though, I must admit the BQs are doing pretty well, and how do they manage to stay in such a good mood all the time?

Speaking of the BQ's, I'm rooting for them and the Chos to be F2.  Since NO female teams have ever won TAR, it would be cool if the BQs won.  They've done a superb job of running the Race, they get along real good, & they're very positive gals.
Love the Chos though.  Loved how they were so kind to Dave and Mary, being friends with them...sticking w/ them. 
Like Tyler & James.  Don't like Rob/Kim.   

Offline reality.tv.

• RFF Full Member
  • Now all we need is The Amazing Race Canada!
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2007, 08:05:36 PM »
 :dancer: DAVID & MARY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: :hrt: :luvu: :hearts: :cheer: :trampb: :ron: :elvis: :party:
BB10 RENNY FAN FOREVER!

Offline FrostieJ

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Racer
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2007, 08:16:54 PM »
 :dancer: Love love love love David and Mary.
Somebody buy me a drink!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2007, 11:31:13 PM »
  :hearts:  :hrt:  David n' Mary! :yourock:
So cool you have another chance and I'll be rooting for ya all the way!!  :wohoo:
 :cheer:  :ron:

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »
 :happy: This thread has the most posts in this forum!

Team Kentucky is love. :luvya:
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2007, 12:02:13 AM »
:happy: This thread has the most posts in this forum!
Team Kentucky is love. :luvya:
:yess:  I sure miss them on All-Stars & wish they were still on.  They are a lovely couple and deserving to have the most posts in this forum!  :luvya:  Cool you called it to our attention,
hakushu8!  ;D  Thanks!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Please hold David and Mary and their daughter in your thoughts and prayers today.  Savannah is quite ill, and she is having urgent procedures today.

Thanks everyone!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »
Yeah,i saw that in their Facebook.Good News is :  Savannah is on a good hospital,hope she gets better soon!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »
Surgery went well, recovery can begin!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2012, 10:47:38 PM »
Glad she is on the road to recovery.  :kuss:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE