Author Topic: FIFA World Cup  (Read 10065 times)

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Save A Horse...Ride a Cowboy
FIFA World Cup
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:24:28 PM »
Anyone following World Cup?????????

What are you predictions???

I say Portugal has a good chance this year.
~Honesty Is The Best Policy, But Insanity Is A Better Defense~
~Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Don't Have Film~

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: FIFA World Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »
GO ENGLAND GO!!!

BEAUTIFUL FINAL 15 MINUTES TO THE GAME....ENGLAND MOVES ONTO NEXT MATCHES!!

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 07:49:42 AM »
England V Brazil would make for a great final. Although England is not playing great at the moment they should pick it up as the cup moves into the knockout round.  Owen and Rooney need to get into playing shape and things should be fine.
Because sometimes the way to feel good about yourself is by making someone else feel bad. I am tired of making others feel good about themselves.

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 02:22:57 PM »
1-0.  Thanks to Gahna beating the Checks, but can the US take advantage of it??
Because sometimes the way to feel good about yourself is by making someone else feel bad. I am tired of making others feel good about themselves.

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 02:27:58 PM »
1-1 on an own goal.  Thank you Italy. :tup:

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 02:46:04 PM »
10 on 10 now that the ref made the make up call to toss a US player.

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 03:10:50 PM »
Another US player tossed now 10 on 9.

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 07:15:25 PM »
Great game 1-1 tie.  US needs to win on thursday and Italy needs to beat the Checks and we advance.

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Bad News for England Football
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 09:05:31 AM »
Owen out. Knee injury KO's England striker for rest of World Cup

Michael Owen will miss the rest of the World Cup because of a right knee injury.

The England striker, who was injured Tuesday in the second minute of his team's 2-2 draw with Sweden in Cologne, had a scan on his knee Wednesday and the results confirmed that he will no longer to able to play for the team in Germany, the English Football Association said.

Owen, who had the scan near England's team base in southern Germany, will return to England later Wednesday.

"Obviously it's a massive blow to suffer the injury -- and be out of the World Cup," Owen said in a statement. "As soon as it happened I knew I was in trouble. It was a major disappointment to pick up the injury so early in the game."

Owen's right knee buckled after he had played a pass. He rolled off the field and lay on the sideline clutching his leg while play continued. He was treated by doctors and then strapped to a stretcher and taken away.

The FA said Owen's recovery would be handled by his English Premier League club Newcastle.

"I'm clearly sorry to be leaving the lads in Germany, but I'm convinced they can go on and achieve success," Owen said. "I'll be following all the matches very closely and giving them my full support, hopefully all the way to Berlin.

"My main objective is now to get fit as quickly as possible for Newcastle United."

The 26-year-old Owen, who broke his foot on Dec. 31, only returned last month. He had been replaced in both of England's first two World Cup games.

"Michael has had terrible luck with injuries since Christmas," England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson said. "I feel very sorry for him to miss out on the rest of the World Cup -- it's a blow to him and a big loss for the team.

"However, I am sure Michael will work very hard to get back as quickly as possible for Newcastle and England. He is a true professional and a very mentally strong person. I hope the team can now go on and achieve success in Germany for Michael."

Both England and Sweden have advanced to the second round from Group B.

"It's very disappointing for him and the team as well," England goalkeeper Paul Robinson said. "Unbelievable. Just as he was getting fit as well. It's just a very, very unfortunate incident."

Owen made his World Cup debut as an 18-year-old in 1998, scoring an incredible goal against Argentina. He's been a mainstay in England's attack ever since.

This year's World Cup is his fifth tournament for England, but Owen has had a disappointing past two years.

He moved from Liverpool to Real Madrid in 2004 but failed to break into the starting lineup. He moved back to England last season with Newcastle but only played 20 games before getting injured.

Owen's latest injury means Wayne Rooney's fitness has now become crucial for England. The Manchester United striker started his first game since breaking his foot on April 29 and lasted 69 minutes.

Without Owen, England will only have three strikers left _ Rooney, Peter Crouch and 17-year-old Theo Walcott, who has only 25 minutes of international experience and has never played in the English Premier League for Arsenal.

"To lose a player of Michael's quality is bad for the team and it's bad for the squad," Robinson said. "The loss of a striker is going to hit any squad, but we've got Theo, we've got Stevie (Gerrard), who can play up there off the front two. We've got Wazza (Rooney) and Crouchy who are playing well at the moment. We should be all right."

England plays Ecuador in the second round in Stuttgart on Sunday.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »
USA and Italy...that was SOOOOOOOO funny....

That definitely is not a stat you want: OWN GOAL!!!!

my friends quickly took their Italian flags off their car after saturdays game.

What about Poland...the ONE win when it wont help them????

Well hopefully England will do fine...they have crouch rooney and beckam to help...their stats are good!!

2 wins 1 tie??? I have faith in my boys!!

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 01:48:37 PM »
Have not been watching, except highlights on ESPN.  I know the Americans are not favored to go far, but hey atleast  they are hanging on.  But with 2 players red carded should be an interesting game.

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 01:51:03 PM »
9:55am tomorrow is the most important games for the Americans.  They must win for any chance to advance.  Gahana has lost their best player so we have a shot at the same time Italy will be playing Czech Rep and they MUST WIN.  Tomorrow morning is going to be a great day to sit in front of the TV and root on the home country.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 01:58:05 PM »
America is supposed to have a good team actually...but I think the problem they are facing is the same problem Canada faced in Mens hockey in the olympics.

A very expensive team...everyone trying to be a star...no one working together

Because of Portugals win today Mexico must be out...so another upset from a good team who had a Tough first round.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 02:04:29 PM »
MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm saw the new commercial for David Beckams cologne....when did he get that hot??????????????????????  :camping:

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 09:28:07 AM »
1-0 Ghana and 1-0 Italy.  It's still early but if the USA can win and Italy stays ahead then we advance.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 10:06:27 AM »
just have to wait and see!!!  :killme:

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 10:28:27 AM »
2-1 Ghana midway throught the 2nd half.  Not looking good :doh:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 10:50:54 AM »
damm reff cheated for ghana. screw the german reff screw ghana

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 10:55:06 AM »
USA doesn't deserve to advance.  To have 0 shots until this game and no own goals is just bad.  All of the US 'stars' came up small and they need to rethink the entire roster and philosophy.  The coach must go, he does not have any strategy and does not react to the situtations.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 12:14:23 PM »
thats what happens when you ahve too many chiefs and not enough indians

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 02:04:53 PM »
dang.... maybe next year

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 02:05:48 PM »
4 years

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 02:26:36 PM »
well this was the first year they said us had a chance...so they need more time to work as a team!!  :beat:

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 07:44:44 AM »
I partied last night with the Portugese on St Clair in Toronto...and boy do they know how to have a good time.  My bets are this is going to be the last Port party of the Fifa season after yesterdays insane game.

Red Cards - Costinha and Deco
Injury - Ronaldo

Possible no shows to next game 0 Figo for the headbutt.

Saturday July 1/06

The Match of the Tournament....England vs Portugal

My money is on England!!! :cheer:

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 08:17:17 AM »
That ref lost total control yesterday and ruined a great match.  He has really hurt Port chances of advancing any further.