Author Topic: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*  (Read 800615 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*
« Reply #1850 on: March 21, 2007, 10:18:06 AM »
Whether we ever find that damn clock or not, I just have to say that a week at RFF that includes TAR, searching for French antiques, dhow sailing in Zanzibar, and hearing Boingo talk about ormolu :o  --is my idea of TAR heaven!! :happy:

And in a TAR OCD moment, I have actually emailed a couple of Polish museum curators for help--so we'll see!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline samiam

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1851 on: March 21, 2007, 03:13:53 PM »
Have lurked your wonderful site for awhile.  I found this picture and thought it might be the location in Poland based on the marble wall detail and columns.  This is in the Palance on the Water near Łazienki Park.  Do with this info what you will.  Hope this link works as I'm not too computer savvy.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ct.pbase.com/t1/11/16011/4/54258866.IMG_2357.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pbase.com/faerie_39/poland&h=160&w=120&sz=7&hl=en&start=31&tbnid=6-t5h_HXhGLk2M:&tbnh=98&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3DPalace%2Bon%2Bthe%2BWater%2B%2526%2BPoland%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DGGLR,GGLR:2006-19,GGLR:en%26sa%3DN

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1852 on: March 21, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »
samiam! :welcome: :yourock: :ty3:

You have it! Yaay! I coudn't get inside the front door there for trying! Whooppee!

Great detecting job for your first post!

Now, we have this clock....

(must be at the other end of the room!)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 03:29:37 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #1853 on: March 21, 2007, 03:34:31 PM »
Great job samiam, I DO NOT LIKE GREEN EGS AND HAM!

(ok sorry i couldn't resist)

but seriously, i looked everywhere yesterday and couldn't find it!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1854 on: March 21, 2007, 03:35:53 PM »
Palace on the Water info:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline samiam

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1855 on: March 21, 2007, 03:38:26 PM »
Thank you.  I just started with what we knew of Poland with the statue Boingo identified.  That's where the credit goes.  :-[

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1856 on: March 21, 2007, 03:40:34 PM »
Have lurked your wonderful site for awhile.  I found this picture and thought it might be the location in Poland based on the marble wall detail and columns.  This is in the Palance on the Water near Łazienki Park.  Do with this info what you will.  Hope this link works as I'm not too computer savvy.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ct.pbase.com/t1/11/16011/4/54258866.IMG_2357.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pbase.com/faerie_39/poland&h=160&w=120&sz=7&hl=en&start=31&tbnid=6-t5h_HXhGLk2M:&tbnh=98&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3DPalace%2Bon%2Bthe%2BWater%2B%2526%2BPoland%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DGGLR,GGLR:2006-19,GGLR:en%26sa%3DN

Oh Boy samiam !!!!!!! Fantastic find and a million thank yous  :jumpy: :happy:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1857 on: March 21, 2007, 03:43:04 PM »
 :happy:  Good job, sam.   :jumpy:

All the credit goes to the newbie.   ;D  Looks like this is our pitstop, and we'll be seeing the equestrian statue of King Sobieski just before we see Phil.   ;)

Map of Lazienki Park
 (note: palace is small square in middle of lake).

Google (satellite) Map of Lazienki Park

Whats's the odds we see Phil standing with the greeter at the Chopin Statue in Lazienki Park.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:38:58 PM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1858 on: March 21, 2007, 04:01:12 PM »
PEACHHHHHHHHHHHH :lol: !!!!

HISTORY

The Royal Łazienki Museum in Warsaw, is a charming must-see palace and garden complex, which stretches within the area of nearby 80 hectares.

The origins of Łazienki date back to the cusp of the 17th century, when Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski, the Grand Royal Marshal was the owner of Ujazdów. A sophisticated Bathhouse was built here at that time.

In 1764 Ujazdów became the property of Stanislaus Augustus Poniatowski, who established his summer residence here and gave it its general appearance. The executors of king’s ideas included many artists like architects – Dominik Merlini, Jan Chrystian Kamsetser and Jakub Kubicki, painters – Jan Bogumił Plersch and Marcello Bacciarelli, sculptors – Andrzej Le Brun, Jakub Monaldi and Franciszek Pinck.

It took over two decades, starting from 1772, to metamorphose the baroque Lubomirski Bathhouse to the classicist Palace on the Isle, with the picturesque southern facade and the monumental northern one adorned with a column portico. To this day the three chambers of the ground floor preserved the baroque décor dating back to the Lubomirski times. Other interiors are decorated with original ornamentation made by notable artists of the Stanislaus period including furniture, gold-plated bronzes and copies of antique sculptures as well as magnificent paintings.

In 1774 the White House was erected. It was designed for the royal sisters and had identical decorations on all facades. In its representative chambers one was able to admire the original polychromy made by Plersch.

In 1775 – 1783 the Myślewicki Palace with the characteristic recess in the facade and semicircular side wings was built. It was the residence of Prince Józef Poniatowski (the king’s nephew), initials of which are inscribed over the central window. Its interiors are still adorned with 18th – century paintings, works of court artists.

On the shore of the southern pond, the initially an earthy Amphitheatre with the stage on an island, was replaced in 1790 by a new stone one modelled on the ancient Herculaneum. The stage was enriched by decorations imitating antique ruins of the Forum Romanum, whereas the auditorium was adorned with the statues of famous playwrights mounted on the attic.

The road near the northern pond is enhanced by the Guardhouse, next to which there is the Grand Off-building, which during the Congress Kingdom of Poland housed the Officer-Cadet School. On November 29, 1830, the officers left the school initiating the November Uprising by the attack on the Belvedere Palace – the headquarters of the grand duke Constantine, brother of Tsar Alexander I. During the Stanislaus times, the then baroque Belverder accommodated officials. One of the outbuildings housed a faience manufactory, which produced the so-called „belvedere” faience.

The Royal Orangery, erected in 1786-88 on the plan of the rectangular horseshoe, with the southern facade of the core structure broken up by pilasters and arcaded great windows, houses the magnificent interior, ranked among the most notable international examples of authentic 18th-century manorial theatres. The theatre’s interior is made of wood. The auditorium, consisting of stalls and surrounding balconies, is richly decorated with paintings. Walls between the balconies, divided by twin pilasters, are adorned with female statues holding chandeliers. Also the Royal Orangery houses the famous Gallery of Polish Sculpture (XVI – XX c.). It is unique Gallery of this kind in Poland.

With time the garden, part of which was composed in the spirit of regular arrangements and part was landscaped, had been changing its appearance as well. In 1778 the White House along with the Bathhouse was joint via the so-called Royal Promenade. In its proximity a pavilion, designed for the fashionable at that time Trou Madame game, was erected. Soon, it was changed into a theatre, called the Small Theatre, which in 1830 was replaced by the New Guardhouse. The old canals and water bodies near the Bathhouse were transformed into scenic ponds. The Palace on the Isle featured a view on the water cascade and stone bridge where the monument to Jan III Sobieski was erected. The garden was beautified by a myriad of arbours, bridges, sculptures and waterworks – one of them in time was modelled on the ancient tomb of Cecilia Metelli on via Appia near Rome.

The last king of Poland shaped the Łazienki in the classicist style, however, he bestowed upon it an individual hallmark, in accordance with his own aesthetic concept. For this reason it is named the Stanislaus Augustus style.

During the partitions of Poland, when the Łazienki were taken over by the tsar’s court, the Belveder was reconstructed and several pavilions, also in classicist style were built.

In December 1944 the Nazis burnt the Palace on the Isle, drilling nearly a thousand holes in its walls for dynamite, intending to blow it up. Fortunately, they didn’t have time to do it. After the war the Palace on the Isle was thoroughly reconstructed.

Today, the Royal Łazienki Residence fulfils functions of a museum and the garden, being
visited by a throng of tourists from the country and the entire world, at the same time serving as a splendid promoter of culture.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1859 on: March 21, 2007, 04:11:28 PM »
Jeez puddin--didn't know it was contagious!! :lol3: :lol: :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1860 on: March 21, 2007, 04:19:04 PM »
King Sobieski trampling a fallen Turk

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:25:44 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1861 on: March 21, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »
more pretty pics

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1862 on: March 21, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »
more

and boat rowing! :lol:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:37:05 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1863 on: March 21, 2007, 04:36:40 PM »
 :groan: :groan: :groan:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1864 on: March 21, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »
:groan: :groan: :groan:

:rotf:   (see what you started...)  :lol3:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1865 on: March 21, 2007, 04:52:30 PM »
I was good all week! I've just been waiting for my Zanzibar moment--this one took me by surprise!

(want me to make them go away?)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1866 on: March 21, 2007, 04:52:39 PM »
We need to start peach her own Amazing Race Wiki thread  :lol:  :reading: :rfth:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1867 on: March 21, 2007, 04:54:26 PM »
Oh and I still call it as the Guidos goodbye confessional and they are reflecting on what they are most proud of i.e. out running EDee EP5  :meow:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #1868 on: March 21, 2007, 04:58:20 PM »
Yeah, I think it might be their goodbye confessional. A lot of teams smile during that.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1869 on: March 21, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »
MISSING: A MAJOR CONTINENT; HIJACKED

MAJOR SUSPECTS: Sore Losers who think Rob/Amber still deserve to win Amazing Race All-Stars OR
Those who want to use the missing THREAD for SEWING

If you have any information about this heinous crime, contact either Inspector Poirot or Hastings

Here is a clue:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1870 on: March 21, 2007, 05:57:39 PM »
I blame global warming! :lol: :lol3: :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1871 on: March 21, 2007, 07:46:03 PM »
..very hard to find the interior of that palace

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1872 on: March 21, 2007, 08:26:52 PM »
^ Right you are, puddin.

Good job to samiam! :tup: :yess:

The actual mat could still be outside the palace right? Somewhere around it, like in front of Jan III sobieski's statue? I don't know how many times the pitstops have been inside a building... only the Momily philimination pitstop in TAR 1 Thailand comes to mind.

I like the pretty pics you post, peach.  ;D
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #1873 on: March 21, 2007, 08:27:29 PM »
So it is Palace on the Water.  One of my four choices afterall.  Should have recognized it since I was at a Chopin recital there in 2003: but we were in a different room.,

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1874 on: March 21, 2007, 08:59:45 PM »
I like the pretty pics you post, peach.   ;D

:thankyou: Thank you SO much, hakushu8! I love finding out all about the new places we go--makes me feel like I could be there too!

There is an outside ampitheater at the Palace--with a small moat that separates the stage from the audience--might make an interesting Pitstop...

RFF's Golden Rule: