Author Topic: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*  (Read 799230 times)

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*
« Reply #1425 on: February 06, 2007, 10:08:24 PM »
:-0

that's not aloud?!

oops...i should go edit my post.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1426 on: February 06, 2007, 10:17:19 PM »
Very Nice, Chateau!

If that isn't an Intersection--I think that would be a very interesting two teams to join forces--I would have thought they would be in conflict from the first go! :meow:

They seem to be sharing a map...

So where are they going? They better have a really good task here to make up to me about no Antarctica!!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:35:11 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 06, 2007, 10:20:02 PM »
Rob and Amber and Dustin and Kandice would be an awesome paired up team for an intersection!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1428 on: February 06, 2007, 10:24:29 PM »
Well, OK. I was kind of doubting P.A., but I'll throw in the towel. Compare the signs to the facade of the Hotel Plaza.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1429 on: February 06, 2007, 10:28:34 PM »
Look what I made  :happy:

Amber carrying a block?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:34:05 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1430 on: February 06, 2007, 10:34:10 PM »
Nice Slowhatch! :tup:

puddin--you are cranking them out tonight!  :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1431 on: February 06, 2007, 10:35:34 PM »
Do you like the waders I put on Amber  ^^ ?  :js:

Slowhatch  :wine:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1432 on: February 06, 2007, 10:40:45 PM »
She does have on waders! Or chaps?  :o

There is a yellow-y house behind her too...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #1433 on: February 06, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »
I hate Amber's "A" shirts  (:;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1434 on: February 06, 2007, 10:50:19 PM »
THINGS TO DO IN PUNTA ARENAS:So the statue is to Magellan--don't forget to rub his toes!

CENTER CITY

Around the Plaza de Armas are government buildings; the Club de la Union (Union Club); and mansions with turrets, beautiful roofs, glassed-in sunrooms and well-kept gardens with huge "araucaria" trees (slow-growing native trees revered by the indigenous people of the region).

The plaza itself is full of huge, old trees, and in the center is the Monumento a Hernando de Magallanes (Monument to Ferdinand Magellan). Note that the toes of one of the bronze indians is polished and shiny. Local legend states that everyone who touches these toes will return to Punta Arenas someday, making the statue a favorite with tourists and locals alike.

The panoramic views are taken from the Mount of the Cross:

MOUNT OF THE CROSS

There is a wonderful panoramic view from the top of this hill of the entire city, with its red, blue and yellow roofs and streets sloping toward the Strait. On the horizon Tierra del Fuego can be seen, as well as Monte Sarmiento (Sarmiento Mount) and the southern part of the Brunswick Peninsula. The wrecks of old sailing ships that have remained where they ran aground also can be seen in the distance.

To see the other side of the city, go to the northern peak of Cerro de la Cruz. Follow Señoret street to Colón avenue, turn left and walk uphill for two blocks on this cobblestoned street dating from colonial times. This peak offers a different view of the area - the city's industrial section, the Barrio Hortícola (Horticulture Neighborhood), the Zona Franca (Duty Free Zone), and a lake used for ice skating to the left. Eight kilometers in the distance are the ski slopes of Cerro Mirador (Lookout Mountain), lines of open clearings slashing through the forested slope of the hill.

About the Cemetery--

THE CEMETERY
This cemetery is interesting because of the huge mausoleums built years ago by the area's wealthy families. José Menéndez, an important pioneering businessman, has one of the most imposing mausoleums. It is a smaller copy of the Victor Manuel monument in Rome. The cemetery also contains a memorial to the fallen indigenous people of the region.

Some forts--

FORT BULNES AND PORT FAMINE
Both of these sites are located approximately 60 Kms. south of Punta Arenas. They are interesting primarily for their historical significance. Puerto del Hambre was an early Spanish settlement along the Strait of Magellan, and Fuerte Bulnes established Chilean authority over the region. To reach these sites, travel south on Route 9. The road winds along the edge of the Strait, and along the way can be seen the remains of shipwrecked boats

And my favorite--two places to see penguins--one where you walk among them!

OTWAY INLET
The penguin colony is located 65 kilometers north of Punta Arenas on Seno Otway (Otway Inlet), along the northwest of the Brunswick Peninsula. The Magellanic Penguins return annually to this spot between October and March to lay eggs and raise their young. At the site, you will walk approximately two kilometers to the middle of a natural reserve filled with penguin burrows to see the comic antics of these delightful and defenseless creatures at close range.

MAGDALENA ISLAND
This island and its neighboring islet Marta is home to tens of thousands of Magellanic Penguins, cormorants, other birds and sea lions. Both islands make up the Monumento Natural Los Pingüinos (The Penguins Natural Monument), located 25 nautical miles north of Punta Arenas. The estimated population of the penguins on these two islands is more than 50,000 penguin pairs.
The boat trip to Isla Madgdalena offers contrasting views to the west and east of the Strait. On the west coast can be seen the Tres Puentes area, the village of Río Seco and other small settlements along the shore. Industrial centers and oil production centers can be seen in the distance, such as Bahia Laredo and Cabo Negro. Toward the east, the coast of Tierra del Fuego looms flat and long. In front of Isla Magdalena can be seen the deep Bahía Gente Grande (Large People Bay), a name that was given to this bay by Pedro Sarmiento de Gamboa four centuries ago because of the tall stature of the indigenous Ona tribe.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1435 on: February 06, 2007, 11:04:29 PM »
one more time .. the pictures were in a PDF so making them larger didn't blurr them up

sorry no properties/dates

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1436 on: February 06, 2007, 11:58:34 PM »
one more time .. the pictures were in a PDF so making them larger didn't blurr them up

sorry no properties/dates

Maybe shes panning for gold !!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:26:46 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1437 on: February 07, 2007, 12:07:18 AM »
MaybeTierra del Fuego? ^^ :hides

Depart Punta Arenas in the morning on the local ferry service for a crossing of the Magellan Strait which lasts 2.5 hours before your arrival at the capital of the Tierra del Fuego Province, Porvenir.

The tour of the town includes a visit to the Fernando Cordero Rusque Museum which has an interesting display of animal life in the area and a section on archeology and anthropology. There are also some examples of early Chilean film, the panning and mining of gold and a series of photographic exhibits of the Selknam Indians.

The main square is also picturesque with the Cathedral, built by the Silesian order in the last century. Also visit the Monument to the Selknam Indian, which is made entirely of wood before heading for the airport for a 15 minute flight which will take you back to Punta Arenas.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:10:26 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1438 on: February 07, 2007, 12:30:36 AM »

Ushuaia Webcam - Historial

File of November of 2006

pretty pictures

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1439 on: February 07, 2007, 12:33:44 AM »
puddin

HOW do you do that?! That has to be what she is doing! Gold panning! :happy:

Don't know where yet--maybe a historical museum kind of place??

Nice Nice WORK!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #1440 on: February 07, 2007, 01:23:54 AM »
Nice work Slowhatch! 

And great find Puddin!

Remember Charla & Mirna from TAR5 at Buenos Aires Airport?
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #1441 on: February 07, 2007, 01:29:31 AM »
It looks like they get there at night.

Here is an updated/improved timeline for what we know so far.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #1442 on: February 07, 2007, 01:30:08 AM »
And part two:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1443 on: February 07, 2007, 08:46:57 AM »
MaybeTierra del Fuego? ^^ :hides

Depart Punta Arenas in the morning on the local ferry service for a crossing of the Magellan Strait which lasts 2.5 hours before your arrival at the capital of the Tierra del Fuego Province, Porvenir.

The tour of the town includes a visit to the Fernando Cordero Rusque Museum which has an interesting display of animal life in the area and a section on archeology and anthropology. There are also some examples of early Chilean film, the panning and mining of gold and a series of photographic exhibits of the Selknam Indians.

The main square is also picturesque with the Cathedral, built by the Silesian order in the last century. Also visit the Monument to the Selknam Indian, which is made entirely of wood before heading for the airport for a 15 minute flight which will take you back to Punta Arenas.

Why stop at Porvenir? If you are going there, why not take the bus or a U-drive vehicle all the way to USHUAIA(bus) or PARQUE NACIONAL TIERRA DEL FUEGO(car) near USHUAIA where the sightings and zodiac pcitures happened on Sunday afternoon Nov. 26. It would explain how they could get there. Let's imagine that the pit stop after panning for gold is near PORVENIR on the evening of the 25th. That certainly fits with "primitive" as explained by Elise Doganieri on REALITY CHAT Monday night.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1444 on: February 07, 2007, 08:54:53 AM »
GEORGIAPEACH, I am following up on your THINGS TO DO IN PUNTA ARENAS. I previously suggested that Magdalena Island was the only really good thing to do in the vicinity of PUNTA ARENAS. I have discovered another one. The southernmost point of the South American land mass, excluding the islands of Tierra del Fuego, Cape Horn and all of the smaller ones, is at Capo Froward just south of PUNTA ARENAS. It is where the Strait of Magellan makes a turn to the northwest before continuing on into the Pacific Ocean about 200 miles further.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1445 on: February 07, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »
Great link for Punta Arenas excursions!!  full listing

Inludes:

Porvenir
 VS Porvenir - City tour

Crossing the Magellan Strait is located Porvenir, the capital of Tierra del Fuego Province. A pioneer city characterized for its livestock development and gold extraction. We will visit its main natural and cultural attractions.

All year round Ask for departures in low season
Departure from your Hotel at 08:15am Return at 16:00p (On Sundays the stay is longer)
 Price per person
USD 80 Price per person on Sundays USD 90
 Includes:
Transportation  Ferry tickets Box lunch Spanish driver-guide Additional: english guide USD 65 per group.

Also:
Hiking to San Isidro Light-house

Horseback Riding in the Brunswick Peninsula

"Adventure to Cape Froward" :
   Departure from Punta Arenas heading south .At 55 kms. (34 miles) is located Mansa Bay. Here we will board a zodiac vessel which will take us to Cape Froward ; the southern most tip of the American Continent. After 3 hours of sailing we will hike to the top of the hill, where the southern most lookout of the World is waiting for us. Afterwards, we will return to Punta Arenas.

Kayaking on the Strait of Magellan

"Río Verde" Excursion
   Río Verde is a place of great natural beauty, located at the shore of the Fitz Roy Channel and the Skyring Sound. We will visit an old cattle, houses, yards, etc Also we can see a variety of birds such as the majestic "Condors" and "Ñandues".

"Pali-Aike National Park"
   Located at 210 kms. from Punta Arenas. Here we can see a special landscape. The area was a volcanic activity zone and still it’s possible to see large spills of basaltic lava. The Fell Cave with 10.000 years old human remains and large herds of guanacos (patagonian llama) and ñandues (lesser rheas) are very attractive as well

Mountainbike Circuit (3 hours) "Brunswick Peninsula

Fly Fishing - Punta Arenas

Cerro Campana Hiking  and 4x4 Adventure

Fort Bulnes

Otway Sound Penguins Colony

Magdalena Island Penguins

Sailing on the Magellan Strait we reach the Magdalena Island , you will see the largest colony of Magellanic Penguins (about 60.000). This excursion is not made daily and is subject to weather conditions.

And lots more!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1446 on: February 07, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »
Porvenir photos seem to be sadly lacking:

The ferry

The land and town
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1447 on: February 07, 2007, 02:22:38 PM »
Here is my attempt to use a method to post a picture. My first attempt using a classic method failed, so I am now trying the simpler method suggested by an esteemed colleague. This is a stunning picture of a part of Tierra del Fuego National Park:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:53:16 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1448 on: February 07, 2007, 02:49:08 PM »
For my next trick, I'm going to make 5 pictures of Porvenir appear. A local description of Porvenir comes first:

Porvenir belongs to the XII Region of Magellan and Antarctica in Chile. Situated in the big island of Tierra del Fuego in Bahía Porvenir in the Strait of Magellan. It is capital of the province of Tierra del Fuego opposite the city of Punta Arenas, to which it is joined by a ferry boat.
Porvenir is near the Natural Monument Laguna de los Cisnes, and also near lagoons Verde and Deseada. In the centre of Tierra del Fuego is lake Blanco, an excellent fishing spot.
The city is immersed in a 20,000 hectares rural area where they produce sheep wool, ovine and bovine meat, and breeding animals. There is also a stud farm for race horses. These animals are bred without using any chemicals or hormones, in an extensive ecological way.
The steppe covers almost all the island up to the base of Cordillera de Darwin, where bushes and then the thick Magellanic forest appear.
Porvenir is a city of 5500 inhabitants originated in a police station in 1883 when gold exploitation was intense. In 1894 it was founded as a city to provide services to the new livestock estancias on the island.
At present they keep providing commercial and administrative services to livestock activities, which are still important.
The city presents old houses that prove its prosperous past.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:16:51 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1449 on: February 07, 2007, 03:00:05 PM »
 :yess: :happy: :yess:

Congrats! Isn't it wonderful when you can finally make the pictures appear?

Porvenir is looking flat as a pancake to me (although slightly more civilized in your pics!) and also pretty treeless....

So where in the world did they find a hill/slope for Amber to climb--especially a wooded one??  ???

I'm now thinking that the pic of Amber looks much more like either Punta Arenas or Ushuaia, where both towns slope uphill to more wooded, mountainous regions. What do y'all think?
RFF's Golden Rule: