Author Topic: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*  (Read 800545 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*
« Reply #1275 on: February 01, 2007, 02:32:34 AM »
Thanks sun7kid--we'll look forward to it! :hello2:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Vicdemort

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Geek in RFF
« Reply #1276 on: February 01, 2007, 06:01:53 AM »
georgiapeach, do you have an msn or yahoo messanger? if yes, can you tell me in PM?
Also, I have to ask my friends first before I can confirm it is the correct school.
TARV5: Ultimate Evil
Good luck to Final 3!

Offline Vicdemort

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Geek in RFF
« Reply #1277 on: February 01, 2007, 06:17:03 AM »
Well... This is how my friend's school looks like:
Good luck to Final 3!

Offline Vicdemort

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Geek in RFF
« Reply #1278 on: February 01, 2007, 06:19:04 AM »
Sorry if I have been confused... Maybe it is not siu sai wan, maybe chai wan? somewhere with name in 'wan' in hong kong
Good luck to Final 3!

Offline Vicdemort

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Geek in RFF
« Reply #1279 on: February 01, 2007, 06:58:34 AM »
the school's web site: http://www.sgss.edu.hk/
Good luck to Final 3!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1280 on: February 01, 2007, 08:58:21 AM »
Thanks for the help sun7kid! The picture wiil help a lot!

Unfortunately, I do not have PM at home--but you can email me or also leave me a PM here through the forum (click on my name, and scroll down
to " leave this person a private message"....

Chateau
--the name of the school is Shau Kei Wan Government Secondary School--can you help map it out for us?   Thank you! Google Earth is NOT one of my talents I have discovered! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1281 on: February 01, 2007, 09:20:36 AM »
Shau Kei Wan is just a little northwest of Siu Sai Wan; it's another residential area with shopping areas, a fish market, docks, and some more hiking trails. (kmz attached)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1282 on: February 01, 2007, 09:54:38 AM »
Thank you Slowhatch!

But Google Earth hates me    :'(   --I ended up in West Africa somewhere--do I need to do anything to that link to end up at the right place?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1283 on: February 01, 2007, 04:46:01 PM »
ANTARCTICA

Today's weekly travel issue of Newsday.com contained a really good article "Over Antarctica" about the flight that 33 passengers of a cruise ship took from Puntas Arenas Chile down over King George Island and selected parts (unidentified) of the Antarctic Peninsula. This summary of travel options at the end of the article may interest you:

Our Antarctic flyover out of Punta Arenas, Chile, was offered as an extra-cost excursion to passengers of the Norwegian Crown ship (ncl.com) that sails from November through March between Buenos Aires and Santiago, Chile. Price of the excursion: $1,599 (all prices in this story are subject to change).
These programs are limited to cruise passengers, but there are options for civilians. Among those we found:

Aerovias DAP (011-56-61-223340; aeroviasdap.cl), a Chilean airline serving Patagonia, offers one-day flightseeing and a two-day, one-night program that includes an overnight at a base on King George Island, one of the islands off the coast of continental Antarctica.
Upside to King George Island: It's popular with penguins and technically qualifies as "Antarctica," if you're keeping score. Downside: When you're there (the "season" is December through March), its usual lack of ice and snow won't match your image of Antarctica.
Price of that flyover (subject to change) is $2,300; the overnight version is $2,950. Depending on demand, the aircraft can be an eight-seat Beechcraft or a 40-passenger plane. Other points: Hefty non-refundable deposits are required, and passengers are advised to plan on spending several nights in Punta Arenas (not a bad place to spend several nights, under these circumstances) to allow for alternate dates in case the weather doesn't cooperate.
"It's amazing," Isabel, a reservationist in the Punta Arenas office who made the trip in March 2006, said of the experience. "And you can see the penguins very close."

An option that combines the flight, which eliminates the days and potential discomfort associated with crossing the Drake Passage by ship, with a ship-based expedition is offered by AntarcticaXXI (011-56-61-228783; antarcticaxxi.com), also based in Punta Arenas.
This program flies passengers in a 50-seat plane to King George Island, where they board an expedition vessel (limit: 46 passengers) and off they go.
Prices for the seven-day program start at $7,100 per person, double occupancy.

Flyovers from New Zealand, nearest gateway after South America, ended after a 1979 flight crashed into 13,200-foot Mt. Erebus on the continent, killing 257 passengers and crew. But Antarctica flightseeing from the region resumed in 1994, and these days there are two flights annually, both from Australia -- one out of Sydney and a second leaving from Sydney with a stop in Melbourne. The most recent was on New Year's Eve, and the next is scheduled for Feb. 7. These are 12-hour flights -- four hours to Antarctica, four over the continent and four back -- aboard a Qantas Boeing 747, with prices based on seat location. Prices: from $713 for a seat you probably don't want to $4,126 for First Class and a guaranteed window seat during prime time. Food and bar included. Details: Australia-based Croydon Travel (011-61-3-9725-8555; antarcticaflights.com.au).

Now, if you're really serious about this Antarctica thing and can afford the cost of seriousness, there's a U.S.-owned company that operates out of Punta Arenas with programs that fly you into the interior: Adventure Network International (adventure-network.com). Among its programs: an Ice Marathon. Price: $15,000. A seven- or eight-day adventure that will get you to the South Pole and back runs a tidy $33,500. There are more options. A Wilmette, Ill., agency that features adventure travel, Northwest Passage (800-732-7328; nwpassage.com), can answer questions.

Most other access to Antarctica is via ship out of (or at least stopping in) Ushuaia, Argentina, in vessels ranging from luxury cruisers to small-ship expeditions utilizing converted Russian icebreakers. Prices are all over the map.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1284 on: February 01, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »
I tried the kmz again and it worked for me. I remember the same thing happened to me a long time ago (zoomed in to Africa), but I can't remember what I did to fix it. In the meantime, you can go to Centamap, click English, then enter "Shau Kei Wan" in the search box and click on the first result you get. Once you get the view you want, click "google satellite image" to switch to photo view.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1285 on: February 01, 2007, 08:18:09 PM »
Thank you for the link Slowhatch!

I think Java disappeared in my hard drive crash --would that explain it? Because I just installed it--and now I'm in Hong Kong! :blume:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP1 Vidcaps
« Reply #1286 on: February 01, 2007, 09:49:27 PM »
( reposting this post to spoilers, puddin)

GEORGIAPEACH, it continues to be your lucky day! I have unearthed a gem about the Atacama Desert. First a tourist map:

ATACAMA DESERT TOURIST MAP

Please note that the sites that we think are likely to be important to van Munster/Doganieri like the Tropic of Capricorn and the Mano del Desierto are not even shown, which I find strange.

What is shown is 9 major tourist attractions, each of which has multiple pretty pictures that you can bring up and some interesting text about it:

ATACAMA DESERT MAJOR ATTRACTIONS
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:36:58 PM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1287 on: February 01, 2007, 11:29:17 PM »
Looks like E/D in a zodiac boat. The boat says "albatros." There's a Hotel Albatros in Ushuaia, but it might refer to something different.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1288 on: February 01, 2007, 11:37:30 PM »
Looks like E/D in a zodiac boat. The boat says "albatros." There's a Hotel Albatros in Ushuaia, but it might refer to something different.
OMG Slowhatch!! Fantastic find  :jumpy: :wohoo: tierra delfuego it is !?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1289 on: February 01, 2007, 11:38:12 PM »
From another photo in the album, I can now call Bahia Lapataia: compare the flagpole here and here.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #1290 on: February 01, 2007, 11:41:48 PM »
Here is the hau Kei Wan Government Secondary School in Hong Kong.  It's kind of close to the other one by the stadium.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1291 on: February 01, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »
From Slowhatch's link:

Ushuaia, Argentina   

Monday, Nov 27, 2006  17:09 

Alter a 7 hour flight with a terrible hangover from Thanksgiving, we arrived in Ushuaia, the southern most city in the World!!!! It really feels like it…the sun rises around 4:30 AM and does not set until 10:30 PM. We went on an excursion that took us through the Beagle Channel where we stopped at several islands to see the sea lions, birds, and some famous lighthouse. The following day Dave and I headed out to the Tierra del Fuego Nacional Park. We did a few small treks and at the southern most point of the park where Route 3 ends, we ran into contestants from the AMAZING RACE!!! (that might be the most exciting thing we saw in Ushuaia) Dave and I tried to run and get in on the action but we were ignored. PS, it is soooo staged. I don't have many pics because I need my battery to last longer

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1292 on: February 01, 2007, 11:46:39 PM »
closeup

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1293 on: February 01, 2007, 11:47:40 PM »
I am too slow but here is Argentina's flag

Another big scoop! :jumpy: :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1294 on: February 01, 2007, 11:59:26 PM »
Very nice Slowhatch  :yess:!!

Tierra Del Fuego National Park

Patagonia Argentina offers you the opportunity to visit all the corners of Patagonia guided by experts. For this reason, our travel proposals are special, allowing you to profoundly experience the end of the world. And this excursion into the National Park of Tierra del Fuego allows you to see the wilderness of Patagonia in all of its splendor. You will not be a spectator, but a part of Patagonia!

This excursion is a mix of traveling along simple paths and navigation in the Beagle Channel in a Zodiac boat (a small yacht). Its duration lasts all day long. It can be taken by persons of all ages but is not recommended for the aged or for families with very young children who must be carried.

After arriving at the National Park via national route 3, you will walk along coastal paths. This trek lasts about 2 ½ hours and goes through the most beautiful parts of the park. The vegetation is abundant and includes conifers (lengas, ñires, coihues), notros (a native shrub), orchids and cinnamon trees.

Upon arriving at a boulder arising from the water called La Roca (the rock) you will board a Zodiac boat with a capacity of 18 persons to sail the Beagle Channel passing the small Isla de Lobos (Sea Wolves Island). Afterwards, you will sail around the Isla Redonda viewing the Imperial Cormorants that make the rock cliffs of the island their home. Then, you will disembark on the island and have lunch in a refuge, while enjoying a spectacular view of the Beagle Channel. The lunch is simple, in general pastas, with drink included.

The island is a nature preserve that has been open to tourism only for a short time. It is a place almost untouched by human hand. There are two trails, each about 20 minutes in duration that you can walk at your own pace. Remember, protecting the environment is the top priority. It is best if our presence is unnoted and we leave nothing but footprints and take only photos.

In the early afternoon we continue sailing until Lapataia Bay (Bahía Lapataia). During this part of the journey you can see marine birds that are the most beautiful in all of southern Patagonia: penguins, petrels, albatross and Antarctic doves.

In Lapataia Bay, the end of the Americas, and also end of the Pan-American Route, you can travel along two short paths: El Mirador (the Lookout) and Las Lengas, which end in the area of the green lake (Laguna Verde) from where you return to Ushuaia by land transport.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1295 on: February 02, 2007, 12:07:34 AM »
Map ..Map of Tierra del Fuego Argentina and interactive map of the park .

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 12:11:05 AM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1296 on: February 02, 2007, 12:12:54 AM »
From Slowhatch's link:

Ushuaia, Argentina   

Monday, Nov 27, 2006  17:09 

Alter a 7 hour flight with a terrible hangover from Thanksgiving, we arrived in Ushuaia, the southern most city in the World!!!! It really feels like it…the sun rises around 4:30 AM and does not set until 10:30 PM. We went on an excursion that took us through the Beagle Channel where we stopped at several islands to see the sea lions, birds, and some famous lighthouse. The following day Dave and I headed out to the Tierra del Fuego Nacional Park. We did a few small treks and at the southern most point of the park where Route 3 ends, we ran into contestants from the AMAZING RACE!!! (that might be the most exciting thing we saw in Ushuaia) Dave and I tried to run and get in on the action but we were ignored. PS, it is soooo staged. I don't have many pics because I need my battery to last longer

So to date this:
Thanksgiving was 11/23
Flew out 11/24
excursion on 11/25
Saw racers on 11/26

Oh BOY! We saw the Guido's in Ushuaia on 11/28--so they have a couple of days still possible for Antarctica!

There is something going on in that field--can anyone see it better? I want to know what they are doing!

Great find Slowhatch! :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1297 on: February 02, 2007, 12:33:42 AM »
See the tires to the side of the zodiac? Assuming the photog didn't run all over the province chasing the teams, I think I've found the dock (source). That still leaves the question: what were the teams doing? I doubt the ice-pack was there (maybe further south), and there's not much to do except visit the small islands (aerial view here).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1298 on: February 02, 2007, 12:35:38 AM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1299 on: February 02, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »
Looking out across Bahia Lapataia, with Isla Redonda in the background
RFF's Golden Rule: