Author Topic: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*  (Read 803911 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*
« Reply #1475 on: February 07, 2007, 10:33:18 PM »
It's a parade !
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1476 on: February 07, 2007, 10:50:46 PM »
It's a parade !
:lol: is that what the caption says?

Heres a picture of the Ferry Porvenir

Heres a link on gold in Porvenir

The only location in Tierra del Fuego to have any sustained exploitation of gold reserves was around Porvenir, on the west coast of the island opposite Punta Arenas

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1477 on: February 07, 2007, 11:00:47 PM »
okay--look back at the picture of Amber. If we are thinking panning for gold--let's think mines.

Instead of a roof gallery, could the white thing running horizontally right behind her hips be some sort of an (not quite sure of the word--maybe sluice?)  elevated thing that carries water down from the mine? It looks elevated on metal poles to me, with a muddy area below.

Maybe somebody who understands handisnap could point out what I mean. (I downloaded my free trial but it has a nasty stamp right where I want to draw...)

I've had a nice time visiting fly fishing lodges in Porvenir (no matches)--not the town, the area.  Many miles away the land does become mountainous.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #1478 on: February 07, 2007, 11:30:03 PM »
Peach!

On the handysnap, what I do is just make the box bigger than I need and then crop that side off.

I should just buy it.  But I'm too cheap and lazy to go through that.   :res:

So I just have to crop my shots. 
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1479 on: February 07, 2007, 11:37:30 PM »
Download freeware Gadwin PrintScreen now

I haven't used it in awhile but remember it was  :tup: ..You can perform full screen captures, or only capture a specific window. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1480 on: February 07, 2007, 11:54:51 PM »
Ummm...my shot had a white tag over at least a third of it....I'll try the other puddin--thanks! (had another look--doesn't let me draw on it... :(  )

But what about the picture of Amber??

And Chateau  any chance of a GE picture of Porvenir? I want to see where the mts are...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 11:59:24 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1481 on: February 07, 2007, 11:59:05 PM »
Faststone makes a decent freeware capture program; arrows, text, resizing and watermarks (haven't figured out the last one yet). My GE porvenir is covered with clouds.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1482 on: February 08, 2007, 12:01:18 AM »
Thanks Slowhatch--I'll check that one out!

But not the box she is carrying   :lol:  --the white thing running horizontally behind her fanny!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1483 on: February 08, 2007, 12:25:41 AM »
Oh Boy--look what I did!! Thanks Slowhatch!! :kuss:    I LOVE my new toy!!

Now..can I put an arrow on there too?

But anyway--that is the thing I mean--I've seen something like that before....
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:56:22 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1484 on: February 08, 2007, 12:42:55 AM »
You guys crack me up  :lol:

look whos back!? :nut:

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1485 on: February 08, 2007, 01:10:12 AM »
Hey guys  :waves:
My name's Sam.. I'm 15 from Sydney, Australia- and have been 'lurking' on this forum for weeks now, reading your posts n stuff. (i had trouble registerring) and you guys are absolutely amazing! I cant beleive how much info you manage to find out, i will be psoting here all through all stars and beyond so hopefully i can try and help figure some stuff out in the future :)
Im really hoping TAR12 comes to Australia.. cos me and my TARfannatic friend have vowed to fly wherever tehy go in Aus to try and find teams :P
Sam

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1486 on: February 08, 2007, 01:17:51 AM »
Welcome red_sox! :welcome: :hithere:

Someday I'd like to come to Sydney--is that where they did that cool bridge walk? We are glad you are here--G'day mate! ;)

I found all six gnomes! now to figure out the clues...who wants to go with me when I win?? :happy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1487 on: February 08, 2007, 01:22:30 AM »
Yeah that's where TARA had the detour with the bridge climb.. i dont think TAR has ever been to Sydney.. which sucks, hopefullly they do soon, i will be on their case  :knuckles:

Im bout to start looking for the gnomes too lol.. are they hard to find?  :(

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1488 on: February 08, 2007, 01:42:54 AM »
Probably before your time but Season 2 Episode 9--the teams did the bridge climb--it looked awesome!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1489 on: February 08, 2007, 01:50:38 AM »
Oh my god, really? I've only watched S1,5,6,7,8,9 and 10.. i knew they went to Australia in S2, but had no idea they went to Sydney! I would love to see that  :o
I met Phil in Sydney a year or 2 ago.. completely by chance.. i was in the city taking my sister's friend to see Jesse McCartney perform on set at a show called 'Sunrise' and Phil was there too.. it was pretty exciting, nobody els recognised him so i just ran up to him like a crazy kid.. i didnt get a photo but gotta say hi and get an autograph, which i was stoked with   :jumpy:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1490 on: February 08, 2007, 02:15:29 AM »
The bridge walk looked scary--have you done it?

And I'd be stoked to get to meet Phil too! :flirt:
It is getting late here for me...so  :gnite: and we''ll see you soon!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1491 on: February 08, 2007, 04:00:14 AM »
Nah i havn't done it before, but my parents did and said it was awesome.. real high up though  :o
Goodnight, it's only 9pm here atm.. speak soon  :jam:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1492 on: February 08, 2007, 07:09:04 AM »
GEORGIAPEACH, I hate to tell you this, but my guess at THAT WHITE THING in the screenshot behind AMBER is a low white building in front of a yellow building. Look for the windows that make it improbable that it is a sluice as you suspected.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1493 on: February 08, 2007, 07:20:15 AM »
RED_SOX SAM, let me add my welcome to you. I am visiting Cairns, Port Douglas, the Great Barrier Reef and Townsville in April, my first trip to Australia. I don't think you should give up on AR11 having visited Australia on Episode 11 just yet. I believe that it is possible that it went from Hong Kong to Cairns.  Cairns has the advantage of twice per week nonstop flights to GUAM, where we know that Episode 12 took place. There are many other places between HONG KONG and GUAM that could have been chosen, so we will have to wait for further indications that give us enough to figure out where they did go. I do have to say that the low probability that Antarctica was visited reduces the probability that Australia was visited for the 7 continent septfecta.

My research on past Amazing Races indicates that the following are the visits(sometimes airport only when action was outside the metro area) to major Australian cities:

AR2 - Sydney and Adelaide

AR4 - Brisbane and Cairns

AR9 - Perth and Darwin

By subtraction, the only very large Australian cities not visited so far are Melbourne and Canberra.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 07:54:46 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1494 on: February 08, 2007, 08:06:24 AM »
MAPUTO MOZAMBIQUE

Points of interest include:
The Railway Station on Praca dos Trabalhadores was designed by Gustave Eiffel (after his fall from grace in the Panama canal scandal), and bears the mark of his genius.
The National Art Museum has a small but good collection of Mozambican art, including several large canvases by the world-renowned Malangatana.
The Jardim Tunduru is a very pretty (albeit small) botanical garden.
The Museum of the Revolution chronicles Mozambique's fight for indepedence from Portuguese colonialism.
The Mercado Central in the Baixa district has fresh fish, crabs, calamari, fruits and vegetables, and many household staples. Safe, lively and recommended, especially if cooking for yourself.
Walk up Avenida Julius Nyerere. Start from the Hotel Cardoso or Natural History Museum along R Mutemba to Nyerere then left (north) to the Polana Hotel. Boutiques, restaurants, curio vendors, video stores, etc. to be seen in the relatively upscale Polana neighborhood.
Visit some beautiful beaches, such as Catembe and Ponta d'Ouro. It is very jovial in these atmospheres and it is not dangerous in the least bit.

Items commonly bought in Maputo include:
African fabrics both waxprint and woven in the fabric shops along the Avenida de Guerra Popular
Cashews all over the place, roasted, salted, plain, any which way and nearly anywhere. The number two export of the country, selling for about USD 3.20 per pound (Mts. 140,000 per kg).
Wood carvings, boxes, picture frames from curio vendors.
Batik cloth ranging from the tacky animal stuff to glorious works of art. Most of what is on offer is on the lower quality end, but persistent searching will yield some gems among the dross.

Maputo is a city of about 1.2 million inhabitants. Maputo is a melting point of several cultures, with a strong South African influence. The Bantu and Portuguese cultures dominate, but the influence of Arab, East Indian, and Chinese cultures is also felt. The cuisine is very elaborate, due especially to the Portuguese and Muslim heritage. Seafood is also very abundant.

The two most interesting things to do near Maputo are both south along the coast. First is the Maputo Elephant Reserve, which is part of a 5 park system stretching into Swaziland and South Africa. Second is diving expeditions from Ponta Mamoli. Here are pictures and some text:

A regular ferry service takes visitors from Maputo’s fishing harbour to Inhaca Island to see the fascinating maritime museum, historic lighthouse and to have lunch or overnight at the hotel. Other visitors head south into the swamplands of the 236,000-hectare Maputo Elephant Reserve where rolling green hills meet the sea. Crocs, hippos, side-striped jackals, antelope and up to 200 elephants are found here. The area is currently being restored and there are plans to introduce more animals, and open lodges in the future. Visitors fly in directly to the airport. Some visitors to Port Mamoli for diving expeditions arrive in Durban South Africa and cross the border, where Ponta Mamoli is the first town in Mozambique. Others can get to Ponta Mamoli from Maputo by skirting the western edge of Maputo Elephant Reserve.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 08:23:32 AM by apskip »

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1495 on: February 08, 2007, 08:37:28 AM »
Hi! First-time poster here~
I'm from Hong Kong and I started reading this board since last season, I really admired all the posters here because all of you are so great! Like last season, I was shocked to find out that you guys could locate the finish mat just from watching that promo! :o

It was good to know that HK is included in TAR11, though I was sad that I couldn't see any racers at that time.  :groan:

In fact, I post here because I find one interesting information from the web. I just read a HK discussion board (http://www10.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=2478004&extra=page%3D4&page=6) [post #81, in Cantonese] and that poster mentioned that he saw some production people in Shau Kei Wan at 2 Nov, I know for certain that's not the date they filmed the episode, but maybe they were doing pre-start work there? Because that poster mentioned that he saw people with backpack in a team of 2, and they were asking people for directions. If so it would be more probable that HK was visited and the sighting in Shau Kei Wan was true!!  :yess:

Offline msbuni

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1496 on: February 08, 2007, 08:39:42 AM »
The bridge walk looked scary--have you done it?

And I'd be stoked to get to meet Phil too! :flirt:
It is getting late here for me...so  :gnite: and we''ll see you soon!

Georgiapeach - the Bridge Climb is INCREDIBLE!!  My only thing that I would change.....is our scheduled time - I set it up for 10:00am on New Year's Day and didn't think about having too much fun on New Year's Eve (we were on a party boat with an open bar circling the harbour during the night) - they do a breath test on everybody even the cashiers who work there and if you don't pass.....you don't climb!  Wish my pictures from the climb were digital.....or else I would post.    :happy:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #1497 on: February 08, 2007, 10:01:50 AM »
We still have a big gap between Maputo and Kuala Lumpur.  Some 10 days unaccounted for except for a possible stop in Poland. Any new ideas?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1498 on: February 08, 2007, 10:26:13 AM »
Welcome serendipity! :hello2:

And thanks for the Hong Kong info--that is now our third Hong Kong clue--so hpefully it is going to happen!

More gold mining in Porvenir:
Porvenir, with more than 5,000, inhabitants is the Chilean capital of Tierra del Fuego. As part of a police detachment during the gold fever, Porvenir was born in 1883 and was founded as city in 1894. Just as gold, Porvenir shines. And precisely, one of the most interesting tours in the city is the gold circuit. 115 km. throughout the Baquedano chain where, in addition to astonishing views of the Strait of Magellan, it's interesting to visit the areas where the small-scale miners (pirquineros) continue extracting gold just like they did it 100 years ago. On foot or horseback, this tour is one of the unavoidable journeys throughout the city

And:
DAY 2

We will go to Baquedano cord in the morning to follow the Gold route. It is an 80 kilometre trip, in which we can see the way in which the gold is extracted, almost in the same way as the first gold searchers who arrived around 1881. Also we will be able to see the peculiar refuges built with sod which were used as shelter by the miners. Then we will marvel at the splendour sight of the Straits of Magellan and also its environs.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1499 on: February 08, 2007, 10:31:34 AM »
Welcome serendipity  :hithere: ..the page just won't load for me but I'll take your word for it :) ...thank you for the info!!