Author Topic: Survivor - Chris Daughtery - Breaking News  (Read 4482 times)

Offline Cole

• 'RFF Hottie' - This is my life
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Sunshine
    • It's you. Not me.
Survivor - Chris Daughtery - Breaking News
« on: May 28, 2006, 06:36:25 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1148632337130040.xml&coll=2

Friday, May 26, 2006
Ted Wendling
Plain Dealer Bureau

Columbus -- Chris Daugherty, a state highway worker, survived 39 days on the volcanic South Pacific island of Vanuatu in 2004, walking away with $1 million for winning the CBS reality show.

But it looks like he may not weather an Ohio Department of Transportation investigation into the unauthorized leave of absence he took last fall to join past "Survivor" winners for a European tour.

An ODOT hearing officer ruled Thursday that Daugherty, 35, was guilty of taking the unauthorized leave and of dishonesty for falsely claiming that he needed time off work because he was under stress and suffering from depression.

ODOT investigators concluded that, after being denied a leave because he had used all but 29 hours of his vacation, sick leave and personal leave, Daugherty submitted a bogus excuse from a doctor in London, Ohio, that said he needed to take off a month because he was suffering from anxiety and depression.

Daugherty later admitted to an ODOT investigator that he cured his depression by attending the CBS-sponsored "Survivor" tour.

The tour was in Germany and Italy from Sept. 25 through Oct. 8. ODOT records show that he was paid $8,000 for the tour and did not return to his job as a highway worker until Oct. 25.

Attempts to reach Daugherty and his parents were unsuccessful, but in an interview with ODOT labor relations officer Jill Dible, Daugherty said his doctor told him he "had too full of a plate, so I went on vacation."

He told Dible that his vacation included the "Survivor" tour "because my doctor thought it'd be good for me to relax and get away. It was recommended."

The investigation found that Daugherty concocted his story about needing a medical leave after ODOT turned down several leave requests, including one for military leave. Although Daugherty was never in the armed services, he justified the request by noting that the tour -- which he was obligated to attend under a contractual agreement with CBS -- would visit a military base in Germany.

"Daugherty's claim that he had an illness which just happened' to coincide with his Survivor' tour is simply not credible," wrote ODOT chief investigator Les Reel.

ODOT spokesman Andrew Gall said potential penalties range from a reprimand to dismissal, meaning that Daugherty will simply have to wait to learn whether he will return to work in Madison County patching potholes, mowing and picking up litter, or whether his superiors will vote him off the ODOT compound.

Chances are, even if that happens, Daugherty will survive again. With a million bucks in the bank, he will have plenty of time to search for another $34,000-a-year job.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

twendling@plaind.com, 1-800-228-8272
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" RFF official web board antagonist naked flamin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' stalker \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
Google Talk - nikeos@gmail.com

[IM

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
Re: Survivor - Chris Daughtery - Breaking News
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 07:56:37 AM »
At first I thought this was on Chrs Daughtry from American Idol. That is odd those two names are so close.
That being said, does Chris really need to worry to much about his job? Unless he just went nuts with his money he should still have a lot to fall back on.
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 12:38:15 PM »
So did I Jeff  :lol:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 01:09:44 PM »
At first I thought this was on Chrs Daughtry from American Idol. That is odd those two names are so close.
That being said, does Chris really need to worry to much about his job? Unless he just went nuts with his money he should still have a lot to fall back on.

maybe he wanted to continue working so the money he paid on the taxes he gets back? ???