Author Topic: Spoilers/Speculation  (Read 142038 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: Spoilers/Speculation
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 08:06:13 PM »
Here is a link that has a panorama showing the relative locations of the 1/4 scale Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 11:06:36 PM »
I thought I had it there for a minute. On Swan Alley/Island, on the end opposite from the Statue of Liberty mini-me is the Bir-Hakeim bridge, a statue of a guy on a horse, and a place to rest a map and a laptop. The perspective looks OK but the riverbank doesn't match the cap (and there should be tourist barges there, even in the off-season). So I'll keep looking.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 11:39:56 PM »
Here is the sequence as best as I can stitch it together. In the third picture it looks like maybe there's a bridge on the left and a tall building on the right.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 01:09:58 AM »
I think the shot is taken on the Pont Mirabeau and the bank is the Voie Georges Pompidou.  They are probably looking at/for the ¼ scale Statue of Liberty on Pont de Grenelle.

Here is a photo taken from Pont Mirabeau.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 01:43:47 AM »
It's very possible; here's the VR, lined up for almost the exact same viewpoint as the cap.  :tup:

Nuala

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 08:39:27 PM »
Slowhatch,

How in the world did you do all of this? 

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006, 09:27:08 PM »
Having no life gives me plenty of time.  :lol3:
But seriously....it's fun. Just bounce around aimlessly in cyberspace. You go looking for something, you see something else that's interesting and off you go in a different direction (just make sure to keep a "temp" favorites folder so you can find your way back). For the last half-hour I've been working the other side of the Seine near Notre Dame. I checked the insides of the cathedrals (ND and Chapelle) to see if they matched the "cathedral" TH caps--no luck. Then I found a bridges list and compared viewpoints of Eiffel--a little progress, but not much. I was hesitant about googling "paris webcams" because of you-know-who, but instead I found this transit of Io taken just a fortnight ago.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2006, 12:24:27 AM »
Another article about TH and branded entertainment, this time with some spoiler info. In addition to mentioning some of the brands--Ask.com, Dell laptops, Motorola phones, and Toyota trucks--there's this quote:
Rounding out the marketers, Orbitz.com will provide travel services to teams, while a security feature from Visa will help unlock a puzzle.
???

(Just a guess: it's this thing)

On another topic, I doubt you'll ever see Phil looking like this;D

« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 12:35:40 AM by Slowhatch »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2006, 10:10:35 PM »
Some more confirmation for Hawaii:
Videographer Randy Mills lists TH in his filmography for 2005. He's worked out of Maui since 2003.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2006, 10:49:15 PM »
Awesome find Slowhatch :hfive:

Offline dogparent

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 08:43:09 AM »
SO excited to have a new show over which to kvell and obsess.

I had a thought (a rarity to be sure) on the Little Eiffel tower -- isn't there a theme park in Beijing China called the World? It has all kinds of international landmarks there? There's also one in Japan i think?  ???

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 01:21:18 AM »
isn't there a theme park in Beijing China called the World?
Yes, it's here and they have a replica of the E.T.--I'm not sure about the scale, though.

I'm having some problems with the coins; if any numistmatists want to chime in, feel free. The first two caps are coin details. Below the eagle (first cap) I think I see the words "twenty dollars" but I'm not sure. I've checked it against double eagles and other common gold coins here (warning: a lot of thumbnails, takes a while to load) but no matches. It shows some similarity to a Mexican gold piece, but no match there either. Since there are a lot of coins (in very good condition) in the video sequence, I'm not discounting the possibility that's it's phony production stuff, but I'll keep looking.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2006, 10:40:16 PM »
Finally! It took long enough. The magic phrase was a google image search for "honolulu vessel" and up pops the very first hit  :doh:: the Hawaii Responder, Pier 35 Honolulu, one of 15 oil-spill vessels working for MSRC. Communications details (morse code, etc.) here (bottom of page). Compare the stack behind the wheelhouse and the ladder next to the helipad.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2006, 01:09:23 AM »
thats it Slowhatch !  :jumpy:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2006, 09:18:11 PM »
We have five of the teams starting in Hawaii on an oil rig service something or other.  I saw shot of another five teams in the same outward facing circle (looking out to all directions of the compass??) which looks to be in a field with a New England looking farm house in the BG.  So if one teams starts off in the most western state, maybe the second bunch starts off in the most eastern state such as Maine. OK, ok, I know Alaska is actually our most Western State with the Aleutian Islands stretching out almost to Asia across the International Date Line so Alaska is actually our most Eastern state as well.

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2006, 09:28:45 PM »
You guys are great getting all that info out to us.  Thanks.  ;D
Because sometimes the way to feel good about yourself is by making someone else feel bad. I am tired of making others feel good about themselves.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 12:23:14 AM »
I'm trying out a new capture card that seems to give me slightly better definition. A brief promo tonight and I was able to read the compass: it's a Stanley London. It would seem to be of limited usefulness for pathfinding or orienteering (unless it was put in the commercial just for show, which means I just wasted 20 min.  :knuckles:).

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2006, 05:23:31 PM »
Another good promo last night on NBC but I had to suffer through 90 minutes of Deal or No Deal to catch it.  DND is just about the worst I have seen in a long time, but sadly it pulls in twice the audience of TAR. Now what does that say about TV audiences these days?

But I degress.

Hard to put a finger on what is going on in the promos, but it looks like the key to the game will be the solving of clues.  Brain over Brawn?  Goes back to the very original idea behind TAR when in ep one (and just about only in ep one) teams were given clues of where they had to go to find the next clue. So I imagine it is going to be hard to come up with any meaningful scenarios before the airing of each ep. Also we have five teams starting out in opposite sides of the USofA; one team I imagine travels west and another team travels east so it is going to be hard at first to figure out which group is going where and doing what when they get there.  And unless, TPTB give us a hint at what clue has to be solved, we won't know much more than squat about each ep.

So brush up on your cryptography, puzzle solvers, numerology, et al and be prepared to solve cryptic codes, etc.

Offline chunkylover53

• D'oh!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2006, 06:12:57 PM »
I wish TAR would go back to the solving clues approach.  Made the game more interesting IMO.
Because sometimes the way to feel good about yourself is by making someone else feel bad. I am tired of making others feel good about themselves.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2006, 11:14:43 AM »
I think these two caps are the same spot, but I can't place them. The first is a median or park with a flag and maybe some water in the distance. The second, where teams receive their Dover medallion, is next to some kind of pillar/pedestal/monument/building.
That just might be the National Mall near the Viet Nam Memorial or the Korean War Memorial both of which are in front of the Lincoln Memorial which contains the statue of Lincoln by French.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:18:53 AM by gingerman28 »

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2006, 11:38:14 AM »
Monday night promo on DND (ugh!) included nice shot of the State Capital building in Lincoln, Neb. Could their clue send them to Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC?

Try this link for pix.

http://www.planetware.com/picture/lincoln/state-capitol-us-nblm1.htm

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2006, 08:59:32 PM »
I was wrong. I found a cap (below) of a team using the SL compass. A couple of things to note:
  • It's not very user-friendly. Even the product page seems to get it wrong--look here for "proper method..." (doesn't 10 degrees south of due east=100?)
  • Unless they're given a topo map or specific directions (e.g. "walk on a heading of 170 degrees") the teams will have to take declination into account. In the Rushmore area, for example, it's 9 degrees; it doesn't sound like much but it might be enough to send someone down the wrong trail.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2006, 10:51:40 AM »
So far we have identified the following possible locations for TH1:

Big Island or Maui, Hawaii

Independence Mine, Alaska

Matanuska Glacier, Alaska

Eagle Rock State Park, Craig, Montana

Mount Rushmore, South Dakota

Nebraska State Capitol Building, Lincoln, Nebraska

Fort Pulaski, Savannah, Georgia

The National Mall, Washington, DC

Boston Light, Boston, Massachusettes

Strawbery Banke, Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Big Ben, London, England

Dover Castle, Kent, England

Eiffle Tower, Seine River, Paris, France
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 10:36:50 AM by gingerman28 »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2006, 11:33:01 AM »
Here's a Rushmore map showing the presidential trail in relation to the mountain/ampitheater/etc. I won't know if the presidential seal (cap below) ties in until I see the show.

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2006, 03:25:09 PM »
For what it is worth, the Presidental trail takes you right under the faces of Washington and Lincoln. I was just there last summer, and I can't wait to see it on TV now!!!

Rob