Author Topic: Spoilers/Speculation  (Read 142039 times)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Spoilers/Speculation
« on: May 26, 2006, 09:41:20 AM »
I guess I'll get the ball rolling. I've made progress on some items, and on other things I'll need some help. I'm going to break up the caps instead of making one really long post. First up: the Boston Light.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Spoilers/Speculation
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 09:48:54 AM »
What makes it easy is that one sequence will sometimes explain something else. For example, a team is holding the ship medallion (location unknown) and someone says they have to go to Dover Castle to look for it. I could have looked for this cap a long time without making a connection. Kmz attached

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 09:51:39 AM »
The Gadsden flag. Significance: unknown (to me, anyway).

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:58:23 AM »
Fort Pulaski, near Savannah, Georgia. History here. The kmz is attached, but it's fuzzy; some high-res shots here and here.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:12:23 AM »
The Lewis and Clark code is explained here. Their password was in fact "artichokes."
The "tower" in the message is almost certainly Tower Rock state park. This is a L&C journal entry describing the rock.
Remember the Montana sighting (here and here) we spent so much time on? It turns out to be TH. At the top of the tower (I'm just guessing here) teams find the message "something bottom Missouri River."

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 10:15:33 AM »
A kind of cryptex, perhaps?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 10:26:20 AM »
Strawbery Banke is settlement re-created in Portsmouth, NH. There were no battles in NH, but the state did supply Minutemen (see here, section 8-I). The Wentworths were a prominent local family.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 10:35:20 AM »
Follow the Drinking Gourd is a song about the UGRR. It's on the paper cap (below) and it's written on the back wall of the tunnel/cellar.
More about codes here.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 10:46:03 AM »
This work by French is at Lincoln, Nebraska, which makes the building easy. Compare the building details (esp. the frieze depicting the pioneers) with this photo: it's the Nebraska statehouse.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 10:53:54 AM »
An examination of the tail numbers reveals the helos to be Eurocopters AS-350s used by Era Helicopters somewhere in Alaska. I'm not sure where exactly: it's an icefield or glacier, somewhere near an arm or inlet of the ocean.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 11:06:53 AM »
Hawaii (I'm guessing): the black lava fields suggest the Big Island. There's a phony plane wreck (when the teams are inside looking for something, you can't see any rust or deformed metal) and a waterfall (Akaka Falls, perhaps?). The name of the diving ship is a little too fuzzy for me to read.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 11:37:02 AM »
Mount Rushmore: the code is given in the promo. The teams are told to take the Presidential Trail. It's the first, most basic trail there, so I don't know how some teams could get lost.

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 11:44:58 AM »
Gosh, they were in the midwest. I have been in Lincoln a few times, that is pretty cool!!

Keep up the great work slowhatch!

Rob

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 11:58:46 AM »
I have some time later Slowhatch , I'll post some cast pictures in a new thread !!  :thankyou:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 07:07:33 PM »
An unknown city. People drive on the right. The buildings have a distinctive style: I've been using this site without much luck. I'm thinking maybe Tudor Revival but if anybody knows architecture please chip in.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 07:25:33 PM »
When you read the Imdb entry, there are some expected things: Boston, New York, and South Carolina (probably Fort Pulaski; it's right on the border). But there are also a couple of curious entries. The first is "coordinator:GE." Google Earth? General Electric?
The second is a number of references to "Mansefield." According to the Census there's not a single town in the U.S. with that name. When you google it you get a lot of hits about Fort William, Scotland, at the base of Ben Nevis mountain.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 08:06:39 PM »
Symbols:
  • Railing with the Star of David and a Budded Cross. My first thought on seeing this was "Unitarian," because Unitarians and Quakers were well-represented in the UGRR, but I could be wrong.
  • A stylized caduceus, maybe?
  • The reverse of the Great Seal on the dollar bill is shown; an explanation here.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 09:28:23 PM »
Quote from: Great Falls Tribune
The hunt for clues continues

Two Sundays ago, we admitted that the crews filming a reality TV show in the Great Falls area last month weren't from CBS' "The Amazing Race," as we had speculated. Beyond that, we were stumped.

An unidentified local guy who worked on the project called the newsroom but he had signed some sort of "under pain of death if you talk" contract and provided little new info.

Then, the same Internet explorer who set us straight the first time e-mailed to say all signs point to NBC's "Treasure Hunters." The reality show reportedly was cast in April and May, and filming began in August for a springtime premiere.

According to the network's Web site, NBC was looking for "unique groups of three to compete for thrills and riches in television's first global treasure hunt" The treasure hunters "will face exciting challenges requiring brains, stamina, passion, and teamwork."

The teams will be sent on a global search to solve a puzzle. The first team to uncover all the clues will be told the location of a hidden treasure.

Any more clues? Call 791-1491 on Monday or email tribcity@sofast.net
Were you the internet explorer, Puddin? :hero: You knew all along!  :hfive: Maybe you could trade some more information with that guy on the newspaper. Although the newspaper mentions power boats, the portage cap below might be from the Benton area.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 09:59:27 PM »
Quote from: Anchorage Daily News April 12, 2006
Last Frontier spent last summer scouting locations on the Matanuska and Knik glaciers and in Hatcher Pass for a new NBC reality series called "Treasure Hunters." The company ferried 150 people daily to shoots on the glaciers.
Oops. The paper mentions Last Frontier Air Ventures as the helicopter company. Their helos don't match the caps, but who knows...

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 11:28:08 AM »
Great work Slowhatch!   :jumpy:

Here is a shot of Tower Rock from this site.

Where is that cellar place with the Drinking Gourd song on the wall?
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 11:49:10 AM »
Good question. The size of the chamber and the shape of the ceiling suggest something large enough for a metro car to pass through (although I hope the producers don't think the UGRR referred to an actual railroad). There's some kind of design or construction on the wall, but I can't make it out.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 12:32:00 PM »
I think these two caps are the same spot, but I can't place them. The first is a median or park with a flag and maybe some water in the distance. The second, where teams receive their Dover medallion, is next to some kind of pillar/pedestal/monument/building.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 01:56:10 PM »
:)

here
well they are talking about this article @ tarflies too ..
Actually I was thinking could they be filming the NBC series  'TreasureHunters'   .. who knows ?
stupid reporter not doing his research before writing this  </]

and here
FlamingCactusIT

07-19-05, 00:25 AM (EST)

30. "Don't know how credible..."
I read on a site, don't know where, that there was something about going to Montana for a visit to Pomp's Pillar (The place that Lewis and Clark engraved their signatures on the expedition), that's outside Billings. The C.M. Russell art museum, that's outside Great Falls, and lastly something about purple sidewalk squares. Don't know what's significant about it, or where that is in Montana. 

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 07:43:39 PM »
NBC has a summer promo video here:
http://od-msn.msn.com/3/mbr/summer_promo_exp_052906.wmv
Only the first few seconds are about TH but there's a couple of interesting caps. In the first, you can see that one of the starting points is on a helipad in the middle of the blue diving boat (no name yet). The second should be somewhere on a bridge over the Seine: the camera pans quickly from the top of the Eiffel Tower to the head of the man in the red shirt to the map-reading session.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 08:04:51 PM »
from Sept 2005

Capitol stars in reality show

BY PAUL HAMMEL

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - The State Capitol may soon be a television star.

A cameraman films participants in a reality series Tuesday night as they get out of cars at the Nebraska Capitol in Lincoln.

And no, it won't be as a backdrop for "Tommy Lee Goes to the Legislature."

Film crews shot outside the Capitol Tuesday night for a vaguely described reality show that will feature historic sites around the country.

Crews began assembling large lighting screens after 5 p.m. to avoid attention. By about 10:30 p.m., the bright spotlights, some mounted on boom trucks, illuminated the north entrance of the Capitol. Over and over, six camera operators filmed a group of about 20 contestants as they ran along the third-story terrace that rings the building. They appeared to be carrying some kind of papers or instructions.

The Nebraska Capitol building is apparently the first site for filming of the show, which will appear on NBC, said Bob Ripley, administrator of the State Capitol.

Ripley said producers of the show were "deliberately vague" about the specifics of the new program or why they selected Nebraska.

"We're standing back and wondering what's going to come out of this," he said. "It should be a good thing . . . but it's pretty hard to predict."

One rumor was that the filming was for an episode of the "Amazing Race," but that program is on CBS, not NBC.

The latter network has been advertising for contestants for a new global reality show called "Treasure Hunters," but officials declined to comment on any connection between the Capitol and that program.

"For this kind of show, confidentiality is paramount," said Fred Pichel, a producer who is working with the project. He referred questions to an NBC spokeswoman, who also declined comment.

Pichel, whose credits include a documentary on crab fishermen called "America's Deadliest Season" and an FX Networks reality show called "30 Days With Morgan Spurlock," said filming at the Capitol should conclude today.

He said that no movie stars will be coming to Lincoln and that about 100 people would be involved in the shoot.

When asked why the State Capitol was chosen, Pichel responded, "It's an icon. That's why we're here."

The state's part-time film officer also was mum on the project, saying she was asked to not reveal details.

"No, it's not 'Tommy Lee Goes to the Legislature,'" said film officer Laurie Richards, referring to the reality show shot at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln that depicts rock drummer Tommy Lee.

Richards said, however, that film crews had a positive experience shooting the UNL reality series, which concluded Tuesday night - and that may have helped lead to more filming in Nebraska.