Author Topic: “AMERICA’S GOT TALENT”  (Read 13264 times)

Offline Texas_kimmie

• RFF Sr. Member
  • "You say that to all the girls..."
Re: “AMERICA’S GOT TALENT”
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 04:04:02 AM »
I am loving this season's show. Way better than last years. Sharon is so much better than Brandy, and Jerry is so much better than Regis. You can see Jerry's sweet side, and I am loving him after years of not liking him because of his show.

And by the way, the buzzers are there for the judges to use if they are not liking the performance. Even during this time of the top ten. It is not disrespectful to the performers, they know the buzzers are there. They can keep performing unless all three buzzers have gone off.  :res:
AT THE END OF THE DAY, IT'S STILL JUST THE END OF THE DAY!

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 11:10:06 AM »
In total agreement about Calypso Tumblers, Terry Fator and Sideswipe. Sideswipe did try to use the kids for votes I think. Bad move. Calypso Tumblers also do something more I'm in awe of. Job well done. As for the other singers, I totally agree. If they were on American Idol I think they would not be where they are. As for the Dutton's, I kind of like them. Maybe because it's more of a group effort and that's kind of hard to do, and I think they put on a good show at the very least. Last week they did pick an awful song to do, and I think choosing the wrong song is their biggest hindrance. I don't see them going very far in the competition. I guess I can see why people don't like them.

The show wouldn't be the same without the Hoff. Though at times I can't stand Piers, I do like the fact that (usually he tells it like it is.) He does sugar-coat things at times, I just can't figure out when he decides to do it.

I've mentioned before that I don't like Springer, I did enjoy the show more when Regis was hosting, love his quirky inane sense of humour I guess. Yea, I'm a weird one I know.
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 07:59:48 PM »
I was watching another show and as it ended up popped the repeat of AGT round of 10, which I will call the quarterfinals. Springer was talking as I shut it off. It reminded me of the role he played on the original of that show last Tuesday night. His focus was basically on asking the question "Can you take it to the next level?" What a stupid question! Hey Jerry, of course people are going to tell you that they have no next level and are going to fold their tent; what do you expect? However, different groups are going to have different degrees of difficulty with that next level question. In particular I am concerned about Calypso Tumblers, who in executing an attempted next level might make a costly(both in competitive and maybe phsyical terms) error. I believe that their current level is better than anywhere any of the singers can possibly get to. The same with Terry Fator, who might indeed have a next level but he is already better than where anyone else except Calypso Tumblers can get to. Singing groups can sing different songs and project more energy than previously, but their singing performances are limited by their voices.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 09:32:37 PM »
Tonight I watched with a heavy heart. The voters of America showed what they know by eliminating the Calypso Tumblers in the round of 10. The other eliminee was the Duttons, most deservedly so. The only good thing I can say about it was that Sideswipe, who did not perform well enough last week to stay, did really well this week and are likely to get into thte round of 4. Terry Fator had another brilliant performance by his ventriloquist dummy of songs by Dean Martin and I Left My Heart in San Francisco that Piers Morgan said "was better than the Tony Bennett original." Butterscotch had her usual disconcerting performance with her mouth accents breaking up the lyricism of her singing. Her fan base is so wide that she is likely to go forward. Cas Haley gave a good performance and he is likely to also be in the round of 4.

That means that in my opinion Robert Hatcher, Julienne, the Glamazons and Jason Pritchett will not make the round of 4.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 09:28:11 PM »
THE FINALE PERFORMANCES

While all 8 remaining groups were on stage, Jerry Springer started the night off by announcing the first group to advance to the round of 4, all of whom then preformed a judges-pick piece. The first was Cas Haley, singer(and guitar accompanist). Second was Butterscotch, singer (and beatboxer and piano accompanist). Third was my favorite ventriloquist Terry Fator. Last and a poor choice by America's voters was Julienne Irwin, singer with the immature voice. Cas Haley and Butterscotch did OK. Terry Fator continued to blow everyone away. Julienne was weak.  Then each finalist got to perform their own choice. Cas Haley and Butterscotch did a little better on their own turf. Terry Fator amazed the judges with his Roy Orbison impersonation by his turtle dummy. Julienne Irwin did somewhat better with Over the Rainbow, but she still is clearly behind the other singers(no surprise since she is only 14 years old). I do not see her as the the second coming of Bianca Ryan and hope that she doesn't get any sympathy votes from the American public(who are not good judges of talent although they did get 3 of the 4 right from the 8 possible choices).

Next week is the announcement of the winner show, which means that NBC will have over an hour of fluff to fill the air time. A performance by David Haselhoff was promised.

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 09:19:38 AM »
Wow, totally agree with you here. I'm glad it has not turned into a purely American Idol rip-off by having just the singers competing. I love Terry Fator and hope he ends up winning. I was surprised Jason did not make it to the top four in lieu of Julies. She does have potential but I hate to hear her sing because she is still unrefined. Sideswipe would have been a better pick than her. I have been pulling for the performances more this year and would have liked to see them go on.

Offline kevinfromduluth

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »
This show is totally boring this year...Too many Commercials...Don't be surprised if the Irwin girl wins, she is in the Demographics that the show is drawing...I say least number of votes goes to Fador?.....These types of shows are losing audience big time, even American Idol
Hate me if you must, but love me if you can....toby keith

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 04:06:26 PM »
Yea, that's for sure. My kids and I have been watching this, but my kids have essentially lost interest. Last year was nice because they at least had the bizarre acts. Those were at least entertaining. None of that this year. I'd be surprised if this came back for a third year.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 09:18:55 PM »
FINALE RESULTS SHOW

It's over and the unbelieveable thing is that the voters for this show got the order right from #4 to #1. The show opened with a forgettable performance by the "Top Ten". Then each of them got a turn with a current singing or performing group. In Terry Fator's case it was Kermit the Frog. Then they each got a testimonial from a superstar, ranging from Martina McBride to Miss Piggy. Then, interspersed with funny clips from the auditions and earlier rounds of the show, the announcment of the elimination order one by one began, with opportunities for their story through the competition to be highlighted.

First out at #4 was Julienne. Her voice can be improved and no doubt will be with age and experience.
Next out at #3 was Butterscotch. I did not like her "beat boxing" style. I think she would have done better with a straight lyrical piano and voice style.

Next was a really dynamite song from David Hasselfhoff meant to lead up to the announcment of the winner. Instead what we got was ...a commercial.

The next-to-last event was a live performance by some of the worst performers from early rounds of the competition.

Finally, Jerry Springer stepped up and announced that Terry Fator was the winner. Terry said he wanted it to help revive the art of ventriloquism. Jerry said that in addition to $1 million, arrangements had been made to fulfill his goal of a Las Vegas performance by booking a significant theatre there with Terry as the show. I found it unbelieveable that America's voters got it right. My 10 votes for Terry Fator obviously helped him win. He deserved it.

Offline kevinfromduluth

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 10:32:20 AM »
FINALE RESULTS SHOW

It's over and the unbelieveable thing is that the voters for this show got the order right from #4 to #1. The show opened with a forgettable performance by the "Top Ten". Then each of them got a turn with a current singing or performing group. In Terry Fator's case it was Kermit the Frog. Then they each got a testimonial from a superstar, ranging from Martina McBride to Miss Piggy. Then, interspersed with funny clips from the auditions and earlier rounds of the show, the announcment of the elimination order one by one began, with opportunities for their story through the competition to be highlighted.

First out at #4 was Julienne. Her voice can be improved and no doubt will be with age and experience.
Next out at #3 was Butterscotch. I did not like her "beat boxing" style. I think she would have done better with a straight lyrical piano and voice style.

Next was a really dynamite song from David Hasselfhoff meant to lead up to the announcment of the winner. Instead what we got was ...a commercial.

The next-to-last event was a live performance by some of the worst performers from early rounds of the competition.

Finally, Jerry Springer stepped up and announced that Terry Fator was the winner. Terry said he wanted it to help revive the art of ventriloquism. Jerry said that in addition to $1 million, arrangements had been made to fulfill his goal of a Las Vegas performance by booking a significant theatre there with Terry as the show. I found it unbelieveable that America's voters got it right. My 10 votes for Terry Fator obviously helped him win. He deserved it.

Just found out how screwed Fator got....The $1M prize is paid out over 40 years...He could take a lump sum, but he would get no where near the total amount (probably around 500-700 grand), also, there is a possiblity that he may have to actually pay a fee for the booking....This is just another rip off NBC show...(They do the lottery thing on all there reality shows)..
Hate me if you must, but love me if you can....toby keith