Author Topic: FINAL 3: Elliott!  (Read 9948 times)

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
FINAL 3: Elliott!
« on: May 05, 2006, 05:32:53 AM »
About American Idol 5 Contestant Elliott Yamin

(Age 27) From Richmond, VA (Auditioned in Boston) – Elliott began singing at the ripe age of 5. His mother, who was a professional singer, is his inspiration and biggest fan. For Elliott, being on American Idol has allowed him to pursue his dream of singing professionally.
-----------------

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_3774749`
American Idol' finalist has ties to Glendora
By Nisha Gutierrez Staff Writer

GLENDORA - Claudette Yamin said before making it to "American Idol," her son Elliott was not the type of person to sing in front of a crowd.

"He was really a closet singer," Yamin, 64, said Monday. "If his friends would ask him to sing, he'd only do it if they turned off the lights."

No stranger to the San Gabriel Valley, Elliott Yamin, who now lives in Richmond, Va., made his way to Hollywood in February to sing in the finals of the "American Idol" competition.

His mother followed closely behind.

"Being in Glendora and staying here with my friends has been great," Yamin said. "It's been my home away from home and it's nice to be back."

Elliott Yamin, 27, was born in Los Angeles and raised in Pasadena before moving to Virginia while in middle school with his family.

Claudette Yamin said before reaching the coveted stage of "American Idol," her son faced a number of obstacles.

At 16, Elliott Yamin was diagnosed with diabetes, he dropped out of high school in the 10th grade, earned his GED and worked as a disc jockey and pharmacy clerk.

"He was a lost little boy," Yamin said. "He was really trying to find himself and I think he finally has."

She said Elliott Yamin has had no professional training and only sang in karaoke bars a few times. She said seeing how his life has changed since the competition started is unreal.

"I still can't believe it because it crept up on us," Yamin said. "I still look at him on stage and ask myself, who is this person? He's in the top five and it's absolutely amazing."

Although Elliott Yamin has been exposed to red carpets, autograph signings and millions 
of people rooting for him each week, Claudette Yamin said her son has managed to stay the same person he was back in Virginia.

"Above and beyond his talent, Elliott has such a kindness about him," she said. "People come up to me and tell me he is so gracious, and then they say, `Oh, and by the way he's a great singer too.' That makes me feel good because I had a part of that, I raised him to always be grounded."

Vicky Guerrero, 25, of El Monte, said Elliott Yamin's personality is one of the reasons so many people vote for him every week. "He is very humble in his performances and every time you see him on TV his personality doesn't seem to change. He takes both criticism and compliments very well," Guerrero said. "He's like the average guy who's getting further than people expected."

Elliott Yamin will be performing on American Idol at 8 tonight on Fox 11, along with Chris Daughtry, Katharine McPhee, Paris Bennett and Taylor Hicks.

"Elliott is the underdog, he has raw emotional talent," Claudette Yamin said. "He sings from his heart, because he loves it and he feels it and I hope he continues to do well."

« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 10:58:57 AM by Rob »

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
Re: FINAL 4: Elliott!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 09:53:24 PM »
Elliott deserves at least ONE reply since he really did a great job tonite!  :clap:
Thus, he may not be going home after all.  ???

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 09:55:56 PM »
I thought Elliot was the best tonight  :jam:

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »
I like Elliott, but there is still something he's lacking and I just can't put my finger on it.
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 10:30:20 PM »
He has some pitch probs,which may be due to his deafness in one ear.   
But other than pitch, he's seems to be less at home on stage than the other three.  It's more work for him to be natural on stage.  That's what i see anyway.  But he has a great sounding voice.  He just needs more experience and training in voice and stage presence.  His being on AI will give him opportunities that will help further his talents!  :tup:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 01:03:21 AM »
 :angel: someone forgot to tell Elliot , this from FOX news

'American Idol' Spoiler Alert!
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
By Brian Kilmeade
Of course, what would a Tuesday be without an "American Idol" castoff and we were pleased to meet young Paris Bennett this morning. She looks so young — nice sneakers! — and, by the way, she might just be the most talented singer ever to grace the "Idol" stage. As you probably know, Elliott gets voted off this week
(link)

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 02:05:01 AM »
Thanks for the spoiler, puddin!  :tup:
So that purdy well says it loud & clear, huh?  I'm sorry since he did such a great job tonite, but someone has to go.  I had purty much resigned to Kat leaving, but in all reality, America sticks with their favs, especially in the finals.  Although Elliott gave the best performances TONIGHT, the other three have done the best OVERALL.  That's what really counts & influences the voters!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 02:30:55 AM »
Just to add that Elliott seems like a really sweet guy & I wish him the best of luck as he moves forward in his singing career!  :jumpy:

Nuala

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 02:11:56 PM »
Elliot is the only one that I think does not have a pitch problem when singing.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 06:41:22 PM »
Elliott has definitely improved his pitch probs. 
It's gonna be sad tonite...  :'(  ...whoever leaves...

Nuala

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 08:38:42 PM »
As you probably know, Elliott gets voted off this week.

Somebody got this wrong...I saw this came from fox news....so did they do this to throw us or was Elliot really meant to go home?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 10:46:03 PM »
I'm thinking the writer of the article already had his own prediction in his mind only  :meow:

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 11:28:39 PM »
I did NOT write that article. Honest.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 12:40:16 AM »
 :hand:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 03:00:21 AM »
 :lol3:  Ding Dong, the spoiler's wrong, the spoiler's wrong... B:) B:)
Puddin, now I REALLY know why you LOL whenever the Survivor spoilers are wrong!!
I was ROTFLOL when Ryan said Chris goes home!  :lol3:  :lol3:

Ruday  :hugs:

Nuala

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 05:07:16 PM »
Elliot in Richmond, VA. 

Nuala

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 08:34:01 AM »
This is from the Virginian Pilot...being that I live an hour and half from Richmond, Elliot is all over the news hear and newspaper.  It is pretty cool reading all about him and how different his life has become since being on AI. 

Wilder told Yamin and those who had gathered that he'd just received a fax from "Idol" judge Paula Abdul, in which she revealed the song she had chosen for Yamin to sing in next week's show: "What You Won't Do for Love," by Bobby Caldwell.

...Elliot received a t-shirt from the Mayor that says "Vote like Yamin It!!!....I thought that was cool.

Nuala

Re: FINAL 3: Elliott!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 02:21:54 PM »
I got my vote in for Taylor and I also tried to get my vote in for Elliot, but when I thought I got through it would be silence and then fast busy signals.  I will miss Elliot.  He deserved to be in the top 2. I am sad that he is gone, but I know now that I will be hearing more of him in the future.

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 02:33:31 PM »
Did you only vote once? Hmmm, wonder if a few more votes would have made that raise a point or two - considering how close the votes were.

Offline Cole

• 'RFF Hottie' - This is my life
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Sunshine
    • It's you. Not me.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 02:56:12 PM »
 :lol3: ba bye this is me and this is you ba bye  :lol3:
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" RFF official web board antagonist naked flamin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' stalker \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
Google Talk - nikeos@gmail.com

[IM

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 01:14:18 AM »
This is from the Virginian Pilot...being that I live an hour and half from Richmond, Elliot is all over the news hear and newspaper.  It is pretty cool reading all about him and how different his life has become since being on AI. 
Wilder told Yamin and those who had gathered that he'd just received a fax from "Idol" judge Paula Abdul, in which she revealed the song she had chosen for Yamin to sing in next week's show: "What You Won't Do for Love," by Bobby Caldwell.
...Elliot received a t-shirt from the Mayor that says "Vote like Yamin It!!!....I thought that was cool.
Clever how they used Elliott's name on the shirts!  :tup:

How exciting, Nuala, to live in the same area as Elliott and get in on all the hoopla! 
If Ace had made it to the finals, it would be like that in Colorado where I live! 
He lives north of Denver.

Elliott is not only talented but such a genuine, really sweet person...someone I'd be proud to shake hands with!  :hrt:

Nuala

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2006, 05:26:38 AM »
Did you only vote once? Hmmm, wonder if a few more votes would have made that raise a point or two - considering how close the votes were.

Yes, I only voted once.  It is too hard to get through if you do not get through right away.

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2006, 09:16:13 AM »
Just teasing you Nuala

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 09:15:42 PM »
Nuala,  http://dialidol.com program works great for voting.  I used it for the first time last week and it sure beats punching phone buttons!!  It's a short download & very user friendly.   If you use Dial-up to connect to the Net, you must disconnect in order to use DialIdol.   

Seventy-four of my 500+ calls went thru, which doesn't sound like like very much, but they all count!!   If an operator recording answers, that is counted as a vote.  I think I got 3 or 4 of those.   
(The margin of error is very minimal.)

Nuala

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 08:13:18 PM »
Just teasing you Nuala

Jeff that is your favorite past time.  LOL.