Author Topic: EP8 Title: 'Here Comes the Bedouin! '  (Read 43891 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP8 Title: 'Here Comes the Bedouin! '
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2006, 12:10:30 PM »

So where do the teams drive the camels in their pickup trucks?
To the Bedouin  of course ! That Gman is the million $$ question ..a desert is a desert . Wahiba Sands ?
Lets say its not Ray but Joseph with Monica in tow running to the Ayjah fort /detour clue , then where does that put Rayolanda? just arriving at Ayjah/Sur at 12:25 pm ?

Offline Reality Junkee

• 'RFF's Resident Chocoholic'
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2006, 12:34:38 PM »
I wish we had sharper image :bny2:

u need the sharper image? sure thing

Kogs, you're too much!   :lol3: :lol3:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2006, 05:40:14 PM »
Amazing Race Journal , the clues are better !!

WEDNESDAY ON THE AMAZING RACE

Right out of the Pit Stop, one Team erupts into a war of words.

Teams encounter a true Roadblock: a flooded road.

Teams suffer and sweat through piercing desert heat while digging for the key to their next clue
One duo falls into last place. Will they wither in the desert sun or fight to stay in the Race?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 07:38:25 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2006, 06:20:49 PM »
this place is hard to find

Al Goof:

In the east of Dahira is situated the Al Goof district, the historic central territory of Oman. It contains in its north parts of Al-Hadjar-mountains in its center a lot of oasis-towns like Nizwa and in its south a vast flat desert of (many small stones).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »
Sharqiya:
Still more far to the east the Sharqiya-district is situated, an area of sandy plains and valleys between eastern Al-Hadjar-mountains in the north, the desert of Wahiba Sands in the South and the sea in the east. Sharqiya contains at the coast near Ras al-Hadd not far from the city Sur the easternmost point of Oman. The next peace of land you can reach is in eastern direction the Indian coast near Bombay, in southern direction the beaches of the Seychelles Islands.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2006, 08:55:20 PM »
This ep is a tough one.  Hard to get the sequence of events down in any kind of reasonable order.

From the start, do the teams do something in Greece before hightailing it to the sands of Oman? 

There is one early morning flight from Athens on Lufthansa leaving at 6:15AM via Frankfurt and Riyahd arriving in Muscat at 9:25PM.  Two and a half hour drive to Athens from Rio so the Beach Boys could make this flight.  But some teams,  The Old Timers and The Hippies arrived after sunset at 5:11PM so they won't be able to make this early flight.

Most other flights don't leave Athens until 12:00, 2:15, 2:30, and 3:15PM arriving in Muscat at 10:30PM, 11:05PM, 11:30PM, and 11:05PM. 

So it looks like no matter what flight the teams get on, there will be an over night BUNCH POINT as the teams get somewhere and wait until the breaking of dawn at 6:24AM.

And we do see at least four teams together getting of the water taxi or whatnot together: The Beach Boys, The Hippies, The Old Timers and MO/JO.  Are Rayolanda ahead or behind?

Which comes first the DETOUR or the ROADBLOCK?

DETOUR is two parter: (1) Drive a camel to Market or (2) Carry water or shop in the local market.

ROADBLOCK now looks out in the middle of nowhere desert.  Barry, MO, Yolanda and BJ are hard at work.  But no sight of
The Beach Boys.  BJ is either faking it or having fun smashing the sand hills down with his body.  But they could be the team that is hinted at as having trouble in the sand.

This seems to combine the hayfield of Norway with the archelogical dig in Egypt.  Both were team killers!  But have no fear kiddies, this just has to be a NEL.  Otherwise we are going to end up with three NEL's in a row! Boring!

So can anyone put this mess together.  And don't forget they are driving Toyota SUV's through a flooded wadi somewhere or other.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2006, 09:27:51 PM »
Just a little bored here.  Yet another picture of Sur.  *yawn*      :zz:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2006, 10:53:14 PM »
thats a good one Boingo !

me too some of this and that

castles of Sur
31. Snaislah Castle Sur (East) 
32. Bilad Sur Castle Sur (East) 
33. Aijah Castle Sur (East) 
34. Ras Al-Hadd Sur (East)

Sur is situated in the northeastern province of Sharqiya. It is a seafaring town, a fishing village and a trading port all rolled into one. Famous for its traditional ship building, Sur started trading along the African coast as early as the 6th century. It is an old town with winding streets, carved wooden doors and old arabesque buildings.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 10:58:04 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
before I empty my files

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2006, 01:09:31 AM »

So can anyone put this mess together.  And don't forget they are driving Toyota SUV's through a flooded wadi somewhere or other.

I'll take a shot
skip to Oman since it appears the task at the Rion Bridge is nothing more than a clue to send the teams to Athens to Muscat  ( where not sure of the flight times because were not exactly sure of the date Nov 17th ? 18th ?19? ....) .Regardless, seems like we have an equalizer ..BJT have caught the pack
Teams bunch up in Muscat HoursOfOperation ?
Catch a Taxi boat to Sur/ Ayjah area , we see all but RaYolanda exit the boat onto the docks /beach whatever .
Teams climb up to the Ayjah to recieve the detour clue .
time estimates thanks to Chateau & banzai
MoJo running up to the Ayjah fort between 11:25 am and 11:42 am ( assumes Nov 18th 19th )
RaYolanda hurding the benches near Sur Harbor or whatever its called 12:25 pm ( assumes the date is Nov 17th)
RaYolanda have not taken the boat ride YET ! Why Ray & Yolanda are not seen on the taxi boat with the rest of the gang is unknown.
One detour we know ,TRANSPORT A CAMEL !
Per vidcaps we see E&J along with MOJO doing this task as they are riding in the back of the small Toyota ? trucks
Also we see Jeremy having a talk with a camel after its been delivered " I don't need your riff right now"
Teams doing the Camel task perhaps deliver the camel to a  Bedouin in the Wahiba Sands in A'Sharqiya Region of Omani ,approx 38 miles out and back .
the other Detour maybe the faster task that doesn't require strength just luck  ( more later )

this is where I get lost
After completing the detour teams are givin a clue to head to the Roadblock to dig for a KEY in mounds of sand
How do they get to the Roadblock ? Do they drive the trucks /Toyotas back to Sur area and catch the Taxi boat back to Muscat ? or do the teams drive through the Wadis from Sur to Muscat and the Roadblock is along that route where we see MOJO & E&J racing side by side through the flooded roads ?
Wheres the Roadblock ? I'm going to guess its an Oasis with some fort ruins in the background ,Nizwa? Why not its my guess .
At the Roadblock we see all but E&J digging for the Key in the mounds of sand
Yolanda / Monica / BJ/ Barry
To note when Barry is digging in the mounds of sand , the other mounds appear full/untouched and BJ's mounds of sand appear all dug up and he says so " they've all been dug ".
It's not known if their are other teams with Barry digging , same goes for all teams .
Clues suggest a lonely duo entertains themselves by invoking the ghosts of previously eliminated teams is it to early for the second yield ? If we have a yield I'll guess RaYolanda yield BJT
with this clue being BJT One duo falls into last place. Will they wither in the desert sun or fight to stay in the Race? per web promos .
I'm guessing Barry & Fran took the easy /luck detour and have moved ahead of the pack but we all know finding the KEY is pure luck .
Who finds it first ? " I dunno " but E&J are usually the " Lucky ones " so I'll guess they find the Key first and head on out to the unkown pitstop where Phil might ask " do you have the key ?" , E&J win a car  B:) , hey its my story so neener neener .
Second to arrive MoJO
Third Franknbarry
4th RaYolanda
NEL and Phil gets some stinky Hippie Clothes, BJT .

its 2 am ..and this is my story  ;)

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2006, 08:32:25 AM »
N O mention on TES this morning about anyone from TAR being on TES tomorrow.  The only promo is on how to select a prom dress for your child - do 12 year olds need prom dresses these days?

That pretty much or at least 99.999% assures us that tonight is the first NEL.  Who gets mugged?  The Hippies? or Rayolanda?

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2006, 09:58:29 AM »
As we see the teams driving through a raging river, would weather patterns (i.e., rain) help us target the date they were in Oman?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2006, 10:37:38 AM »
You could try gator :yaya:

this is what I read

Wadis of Oman

Sub Section: Beaches  Wadis  Falajs 

A wadi is a dried up riverbed found in the mountain valleys. Wadis come into their own after heavy rains, when the rivers start running again and the vegetation is restored. However, some wadis have year-round running water, with deep, cool pools in which it is quite safe to swim if the currents are slow. On the whole, wadis are only accessible with a four-wheel drive vehicle, as the terrain can be extremely bumpy. Wadis are green, lush oases of palm trees, grasses, and flowering shrubs. It is always safest to visit wadis in a group or with a tour guide. Although they are beautiful places, they are often remote and car breakdowns can happen to anyone. Visitors must also be on the alert for rain clouds, as sudden downpours can lead to flash floods, which are highly dangerous when in the gorges.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2006, 10:46:55 AM »
fwiw ~

The Amazing Race 9, Episode 8 Preview
by Jenn Brasler -- 04/19/2006

Things are about to get interesting as we move into the second half of the season. Teams who had hard luck before may find themselves having an easier time, and teams who were sailing through the race might run into some trouble. What does this mean for the hippies (right)? This article contains mild spoilers.

Six of the 11 teams on this season of The Amazing Race have already faced off with Phil and walked away losers. Five teams remain, and all ten racers are diverse, giving us an interesting group of racers to root for or boo at. Some have gotten ahead thanks to luck, while others have struggled to stay in the race because of stupid mistakes or simply the misfortune that comes from other teams having luck. Eric & Jeremy and BJ & Tyler have consistently finished in the top two, partly thanks to circumstances out of their control. This means the other teams have had to work extra hard to keep up.

Will things continue in this vein in the eighth episode? Will those who coasted with ease thanks to tasks and navigation continue to stay ahead? Or will they finally catch a bad break (or, as some might hope, get slapped upside the head by karma)? Unfortunately, I can’t divulge that information, as I’ve been sworn to secrecy. But Wednesday night is fast approaching and you’ll have all of your answers soon.

I can report that the teams are heading to the Middle East this week, specifically Oman. Conditions there are more brutal than what the racers have been used to so far. For one thing, the sun is unforgiving, and this leg’s roadblock requires one member of each team to be under it for a potentially long time. Will that hurt any of the teams’ chances of making it to the mat before the others? Or will they just play on as they have been?

Even though much of this season has taken place in non-English-speaking countries, the racers haven’t seemed to have much trouble with language barriers. They’ve always been able to find an English-speaker or muddle through with an attempt at speaking another language. Reading signs was probably not too much of a problem either, since Italian, Spanish, and German all use the Roman alphabet. But the official language of Oman is Arabic, so reading signs is definitely much more difficult there for English-speakers. Will this cause any problems? And will the Americans have any trouble getting Middle Easterners to help them out?

If you’ve been missing comedic animals (practically a staple of The Amazing Race) this season, not to worry – one of the tasks requires the transportation of an animal that has no problem voicing its opinions. Look for some animal comedy gold. Also in the comedy category, a trailing team decides to entertain themselves by impersonating eliminated contestants. Leave it to these teams to find moments to be lighthearted in the midst of a grueling race.

The first part of this season has been somewhat monotonous – every week, either Tyler & BJ or Jeremy & Eric come in first, and whichever one doesn’t comes in second. Will that pattern hold? Or will things finally be shaken up? Like I said, I can’t spill. Tune in Wednesday at 8 p.m. EST to find out!

link

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2006, 10:54:23 AM »
ok this probably sounds stupid and ignorant but Fran & Barry are Jewish ..any chance they can read Arabic ? any chance they come in first place ?  ;D

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2006, 11:14:59 AM »

The Amazing Race 9, Episode 8 Preview
by Jenn Brasler -- 04/19/2006

I can report that the teams are heading to the Middle East this week, specifically Oman. Conditions there are more brutal than what the racers have been used to so far. For one thing, the sun is unforgiving, and this leg’s roadblock requires one member of each team to be under it for a potentially long time. Will that hurt any of the teams’ chances of making it to the mat before the others? Or will they just play on as they have been?

The last statement gives credence to the thought that BJ (or Tyler) is faking the scene in the sand.
Even though much of this season has taken place in non-English-speaking countries, the racers haven’t seemed to have much trouble with language barriers. They’ve always been able to find an English-speaker or muddle through with an attempt at speaking another language. Reading signs was probably not too much of a problem either, since Italian, Spanish, and German all use the Roman alphabet. But the official language of Oman is Arabic, so reading signs is definitely much more difficult there for English-speakers. Will this cause any problems? And will the Americans have any trouble getting Middle Easterners to help them out?

link

Most of the signs posted in this thread have Arabic and English.  Only Arabic signs would suggest the teams get away from the big cities, where non-Omanese (?) rarely travel.  We already figured this out.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2006, 12:36:01 PM »
If you’ve been missing comedic animals (practically a staple of The Amazing Race) this season, not to worry – one of the tasks requires the transportation of an animal that has no problem voicing its opinions. Look for some animal comedy gold. Also in the comedy category, a trailing team decides to entertain themselves by impersonating eliminated contestants. Leave it to these teams to find moments to be lighthearted in the midst of a grueling race.

Note that she says "a trailing team" this sort of puts to rest our idea that The Beach Boys with hours to kill at the Athens airport are the one doing the impersonations.  Could "a trailing team" refer to a YIELDED team?

Speaking of Barry and the sand piles, in his first scene he is surrounded by untouched piles so he may be the first one there, but later we see him in a completely different location and he is shown as being frustrated at hell, so he has obviously been digging and digging and digging......

Puddin's picture of the Wahabah Sands almost is a match for the dig a dig dig gig.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2006, 12:55:06 PM »
Does anyone remember if theres ever been a Yield during a NEL ?  ??? Why would BJT be killing time at the Roadblock ? or are they just clowning around while BJ digs for the key clue and make light of it ?

what we already know, no mention of the teams on the ES  :doh:

Last Updated at 9:00 AM … APRIL 19, 2006 THURSDAY MORNING ON THE EARLY SHOW

A bizarre investigation -- the brutal murder of a nun inside a hospital chapel. We'll go inside the trial of the priest accused of killing her. Also, 80s fashions are back in a big way. We'll show you how to wear them with a modern twist. Plus…Bobby Flay's spring recipes!

If you would like more information on any of these stories or the broadcast, please click on the following address and e-mail us: earlyshow@cbs.com

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/10/04/broadcasts/main64925.shtml?CMP=ILC-SearchStories
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok I see TAR5 had one EP11 NEL same goes for TAR6 EP11 , TAR7 had one EP10 but M&G were eliminated .

But does anyone remember the other yields that were seen and not used ?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 12:59:51 PM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2006, 01:43:52 PM »
TAR5 had a yield that was shown but not used in India.  Brandon & Nicole came in last but it was NEL.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2006, 01:57:51 PM »
Chateau do you think its too early for another yield ?

ty  :js:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #170 on: April 19, 2006, 04:33:58 PM »
This is a hard ep to put together and Easter weekend and a crashing computer (this is my third try at posting this) haven't helped.

There are only two things we know for certain:

1.  The teams start off in the early morning hours from Rio, Greece

2.  The teams end up somewhere in Oman.

Everything else is a puzzle wrapped in questions surrounded by possibilities.

Teams could all bunch up in Athens waiting for flights to Muscat, Oman.  The first early flight is on Lufthansa leaving at 6:15AM by way of Frankfurt and Riyahd arriving in Muscat at 9:25PM.  The most direct flight is on Oman Air leaving at 12:00Noon and arriving at 10:30PM. It looks like a BUNCH POINT coming up.

Whenever the teams leave Greece and whether or not they have to do something in Greece first it looks like they all will arrive in the evening in Muscat. 

The only scenes we see of the teams in Oman are in and around Sur, not Muscat.  Sur is about 351 kilometers by road from Muscat.  There is a daily bus leaving at 6:00AM and on some days there is a flight by Oman Air.  Or there could be a charter flight arranged for by TPTB.  Somewhere they pick up cars.  Do they get them when they arrive in Muscat or in Sur?

I don't know if I would want to drive over a length mostly unmarked and in some places unpaved road at night.  So it looks like another BUNCH POINT of some sort.

Whatever happens, we do know that at least four of the teams are together in Sur sometime in the morning.  They probably also take beyond the dhow yard  a free water taxi across the narrow sound to Ayega. Here perhaps is where they run into the DETOUR.  Carry a CAMEL or carry WATER.  One is by pickup truck, the other by hand.

Somewhere along the way the teams pick up Toyota SUV's (most likely 4WD which you need if you are going to drive out into the Wahiba Sands, home of the Bedouin.

Here it looks like the ROADBLOCK is to be found:  find a key in a pile of sand. (OH, shades of Norway and the hay bales, and Egypt looking for the beetle)  It looks difficult and everyone seems to be having some kind of problems.

Eventually, everyone arrives at a pit stop somewhere.  A Bedouin tent camp?  A thankful Oasis with WATER, WATER, WATER and SHADE, SHADE, SHADE?

Certainly looks like a NEL.  So if there is a YIELD (Second and last) it will be wasted on someone for sure.

Sorry, guys, this isn't very good, but there hasn't been to much info to go on.

Enjoy the show, anyway

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2006, 04:52:38 PM »
thanks gman  :js:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2006, 05:28:27 PM »
You're welcome!

I did leave out one thing: my estimated times of arrival at the Rio  (not de Janeiro) pit stop based on a sunset time of 5:11PM and the fact that Eric did not turn his watch ahead one hour upon arriving in Greece:

The Beach Boys - 11:05AM

MO/JO - 3:30PM

Rayolanda - 4:00PM

The Olde Timers - 5:30PM

The Hippies - 6:15PM

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2006, 05:32:52 PM »
 thank you Gman  :kuss:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2006, 06:35:12 PM »
Jeremy leaved in Africa for a spell, what African language does he speak some of.  Because in Oman a 2cd language is an African Language (that I have no idea how to spell).  Stars with Swa....