Author Topic: EP7 Title : 'Herculean Effort for Some Herculean Dudes '  (Read 51538 times)

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 11:13:13 AM by supsandalee »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP7 Title : 'Herculean Effort for Some Herculean Dudes '
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2006, 11:11:08 AM »
^^ lol

Offline amikino

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2006, 11:36:16 AM »
I just couldn't resist because The Vetruvian Man is such a Seraphaem-like clue.  So, I looked into it using a different approach and found that The Vetruvian Man is an example of the Golden Ratio.  Mathematicians use the greek letter "phi" to represent the Golden Ratio in honor the the Greek sculptor, Phidias, who utilized the ratio in his work.  Phidias is most famous for the statue of Zeus in the Temple of Zeus.  This temple played a key role in the Panhellenic games and is located in Nemea.  The person who just mentioned the ruins in Nemea may be on the right track. 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2006, 11:55:16 AM »
Why is Monica crying ? maybe they think they are in last place or really screwed up, sure it could be a bus too.
LOl @ Dr Evil  :lol:

Several teams make a crucial mistake when they fail to follow the clue's directions correctly.  Meanwhile, a lack of focus and confusion plagues several teams who get lost while driving, and their frustration fuels an emotional breakdown for one team.

bump for Gman

Nice find by Neobie don't you think? Maybe our pitstop :) ?

;D

Nafplion: The Bourtzi Castle

fwiw

Gut, and pictures, says it's this. Nafplion Harbour, Greece.

http://tec.uno.edu/noctiite/greece/Images/GrWeb03/images/Nafplio46Harbor_jpg.jpg

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2006, 11:58:13 AM »
I just couldn't resist because The Vetruvian Man is such a Seraphaem-like clue.  So, I looked into it using a different approach and found that The Vetruvian Man is an example of the Golden Ratio.  Mathematicians use the greek letter "phi" to represent the Golden Ratio in honor the the Greek sculptor, Phidias, who utilized the ratio in his work.  Phidias is most famous for the statue of Zeus in the Temple of Zeus.  This temple played a key role in the Panhellenic games and is located in Nemea.  The person who just mentioned the ruins in Nemea may be on the right track. 
I was in Nemea and had no luck , i'll try as different seach engine .
( Sera :sera: I sure miss him )

heres the  Temple of Zeus

Delphi

Apollontempel in Korinth     
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 12:14:54 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2006, 01:22:54 PM »
I like the possibility of Nemea. If it is the Temple of Zeus in the hippies pic then that could be the museum in the background. This overhead shot is titled "Santuary of Zeus from the South with museum in foreground 1990" so it is old. It looks like a field in the northwest corner and is bordered by shrubs (matches with Ray background??). There is also a road that might match one of Ray's backgrounds. The road runs along the shrubs and you can see a parked vehicle to the left of a large cypress tree in one of Ray's pics.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 01:38:04 PM by supsandalee »

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2006, 01:25:26 PM »
Speaking of temples, here is something to ponder.  From the beginning we have  been assuming that the temple shown at the beginning of the latest promo over which the titles "Every Four Years" etc.are place was the Parthenon on the Acropolis in Athens.  But checking closer I find that this temple (also in ruins) only has SIX DORIC columns on the front end of the temple. The Parthenon has EIGHT DORIC columns.  So this is some other temple some other place.  Perhaps if we can locate this particular temple, we will also find the location of our Olympic tryouts!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2006, 01:39:47 PM »
maybe so Gman

I'm sure now banzai is right , the reused Segesta

this shot matches the introflash of the Parthenon
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 01:54:03 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2006, 01:59:46 PM »
I have to run but heres one , maybe someone can look around Agora !

maybe its not Parthenon ! Gman may have solved the mystery !

actually this is the original from the introcaps

Hephaistos Temple above the ancient Agora (marketplace)
which formed the centre of social and civic life in ancient Athens
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 02:29:19 PM by puddin »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2006, 02:15:22 PM »
^^ lol, the trees and the bushes are almost the same. I have to recheck.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »
FWIW, everything you ever wanted to know about ancient Nemea in a RealPlayer Movie

UC Berkeley Nemea website

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2006, 02:35:56 PM »
collecting some Athens Agora pictures

Temple of Hephestus
  Une autre photo d'Agora

it would be great if we could tie this in
some pictures
http://www.domnik.net/topoi/commons/GR/attica/athens/agora/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 03:27:42 PM by puddin »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2006, 02:37:59 PM »
^^ good catch puddin

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2006, 04:33:18 PM »
This is starting to make some sense, if that is possible.

When the teams arrive in Athens at the new International airport, the arrivals are on the lower level where taxicabs can be found.  After clearing customs, teams take taxies to the Tower of the Winds.  But when they arrive they find that they have to camp out and wait for the opening hour of 8:30AM (However, the Beach Boys may have arrived in time the afternoon before and are now on their way to the pit stop possibly using the Fast Forward).

The teams have to locate a particular "wind" facade (there are eight of them) to receive their next clue.  This clue is the DETOUR.  One task is to proceed to the Ancient Agora which is a short distance away where they have to participate in an Ancient Pentathlon which consists of five events with each team member doing one by him/herself (Sprinting, Throwing the Javelin, Throwing the Discus, or Long Jump.)  Then both team members must throw a "professional" Greco/Roman wrestler out of a marked circle.  There seems to be enough open space around the Temple of Hephaisteion to do this as seen in the video.  Since they have to walk (or run) from the Tower of the Winds they will have their backpacks with them.

The other part of the Detour is to proceed to the ancient Panathenaic Stadium, also just a short way from the Tower of The Winds.  The stadium was originally built in 330BC to host the Panathenaic Games.  It was rebuilt in 1896 to host the first of the modern Olympic Games.  It was refurbished again in 2004 for the Olympics.  No idea what the task here would be, but it probably will not be physical since the Pentathlon would be the physical part.

Upon completing the Detour, teams would proceed to KTEL Bus Terminal A, 100 Kifissou Street, and catch a bus to Corinth and eventually get to the Corinth Canal for the Roadblock bungee jump. They still have their backpacks.

Afterwards, they may then pick up cars to drive to Nafplio, with half the teams getting lost on the way!

This scenario would keep the Detour before the Roadblock which is customary in previous TAR eps.

Can anyone find some aerial views of he Ancient Roman Agora so we can detemine better whether there is open space so the above can happen?

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2006, 05:56:37 PM »
The teams have to locate a particular "wind" facade (there are eight of them) to receive their next clue.  This clue is the DETOUR.  One task is to proceed to the Ancient Agora which is a short distance away where they have to participate in an Ancient Pentathlon which consists of five events with each team member doing one by him/herself (Sprinting, Throwing the Javelin, Throwing the Discus, or Long Jump.)  Then both team members must throw a "professional" Greco/Roman wrestler out of a marked circle.  There seems to be enough open space around the Temple of Hephaisteion to do this as seen in the video. 

Gman I'm confused. Are you referring to the video link Boingo provided? If so, that is ancient Nemea -- not Agora and further up I posted an aerial photo which to me could easily match the backgrounds in the olympic events.

If not, nevermind -- it's been a long long day. :groan:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2006, 06:38:12 PM »

lol, I got it wrong. 10:36AM. Can't be that early. Chateau, SOS  :jam:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2006, 07:14:04 PM »
I was referring to the video of the CBS Promo which has been running ad nausium.  It seems from the look of the sky (blue patches) and weather reports that the rain starts later, that the Detour Olympic Games come before the Roadblock in Corinth.  By staging the Detour in Athens, it gives them more reason to run around the city instead of just arriving, cabbing to the Tower of the Winds, and then back to the bus station and out of town.  If the Detour takes place first in Ancient Nemea, the teams would have to travel by bus through Corinth, and then back to Corinth, then back through Nemea to Nafplio. Logically, it seems to me that the Detour should take place in Athens first, then have the Roadblock in Corinth, then drive to the pit stop in Nafplio.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2006, 07:36:42 PM »
Can anyone find some aerial views of he Ancient Roman Agora so we can detemine better whether there is open space so the above can happen?

I'm trying Gman but I'm not good at that google earth thingy ( told you i can't read maps )
 above makes the most sense to me Gman :clap:
whats left ?
I'm going to take a wild guess and say E&J come in first NEL or not Fast Forward or not .
Who's last ? Who gets mugged ? Who gets Eliminated ?
Doesn't a team normally get eliminated before heading to a new continent ?
The plugs for the Early show are hard to ignore , but then again we were fooled when they threw us for a loop TBC Moscow to Germany  :groan:
What do you all think ? And fwiw my last place team is RaYolanda with MoJo coming in 5th ..I think that both teams mess up reading the clue incorrectly and thats why Mo is crying in the bus/train/whatever .
E&J team #1
BJ & Tyler #2
Frankenberries #3
Dr Evil #4
MoJo #5
Rayolanda dead last .

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2006, 07:40:51 PM »
If it is Nemea, there's a tie-in to the episode title, but I'm sure it's coincidental.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2006, 07:45:51 PM »
from TES website
Tuesday, 4/11: Carmen Electra on “Scary Movie 4” | Age-appropriate gifts
Wednesday, 4/12: Financial advice | New York Auto Show
Thursday, 4/13: Latest "Amazing Race 9" losers | Five-Minute Cooking School
Friday, 4/14: Regina Hall on her role in “Scary Movie 4" | Latest "Survivor" catoffs

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2006, 07:59:19 PM »
Yeah Kogs but thats how it  was listed for the TBC/Uber leg , I wont beleive it untill I see it on Wends. scoop .

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2006, 08:07:08 PM »
ohhhhhhhhhh

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2006, 11:07:42 PM »
from Yahoo ~

The Amazing Race 9
08:00 PM ET -CBS-
Teams participate in a special "Da Vinci Code"-themed challenge in which they're given a portion of Da Vinci's famed "Vitruvian Man" and must find the other half. Later, during a roadblock, teams face a 240-foot bungee jump off the Corinth Canal bridge in Greece, and several pairs make a crucial mistake when they fail to follow a clue's directions correctly.

another " ruins " site *yawn*
http://www.5x5productions.com/vienna03/pics/Sam/Greece/

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2006, 11:19:07 PM »
lol TPTB took the picture off the net?
from this weeks EP promo

The net