Author Topic: EP7 Title : 'Herculean Effort for Some Herculean Dudes '  (Read 51106 times)

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
Re: EP7 Title : 'Herculean Effort for Some Herculean Dudes '
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2006, 01:37:54 PM »
I don't know where they will find the second part of the puzzle relating to The Vitruvian Man,but I believe the answer will be to travel to Athens, Greece and locate The Octaonal Tower built by Andronicus of Cyrrha  This is a prime example of all the theories expressed in the drawing of the Vitruvian Man.

Here is the site for everything you ever wanted to know about the Vitruvian Man:

http://lionardodavinci.blogspot.com/

Here's more:

The Octogon Tower built by Andronicus of Cyrrha is better known as THE TOWER OF THE WINDS.  This remarkable Tower of the Winds is set within the ruins of the Roman Agora.  Constructed of marble in the 2nd century BC, it was bult as a combined weather vane and water clock .  The name comes from the external friezes, personifying the eight winds. Sundials are etched into the walls beneath each relief. The tower is well preserved standing today at over 40 feet high with a diameter of 26 feet.  Still simply called Aerides ("The Winds") by Greeks today. It is located just at the bottom of the Acropolis. 

So there you have it.  This is the link between Rome and Da Vinci and Athens, Greece. And just if you might be interested.  Whirling dervishes (remember them from TAR7?) used the tower as a monastery in the mid-18th Century and became a popular attraction for visitors on the Grand Tour.

Depending upon how long it takes for the teams to get this clue, they may have trouble getting to Athens in daylight, some flights leave as follows:

Olympic Airways #234 LV 11:00AM     AR 2:00PM

Altalia    # AZ720       LV  2:00PM       AR 5:05PM

Olympic Airways #240 LV  7:15PM       AR 10:15PM

Altalia     #AZ 722      LV   9:20PM      AR  12:25AM +1

There a bunch of other flights that conncect in Munich, Milano, Frankfurt and Paris and all take many, many hours from 7 to 12 to reach Athens.  These seem to be the only direct two-hour flights.

So what may happen is another great BUNCH waiting for the Tower of the Winds to open.  The advertised hours are from 8:30AM to 2:45PM.  And it is closed on Monday like most museums in Europe.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 02:07:16 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2006, 02:03:50 PM »
I think it's Yolanda. She also wears red. And I think it's a camouflage and not real plant leaves.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2006, 03:20:59 PM »
He also took a mini video:

The bungy jumping is a commercial establishment.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 03:24:28 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2006, 06:59:09 PM »
Nice site Gman , i have the book but maybe I'll get around to reading it this weekend  :tup:
( not much to go on this week so I'll put something together , in the works )
thanks to banzai's video

Rome Leg
Teams participate in a special "Da Vinci Code"-themed challenge in which teams are given a portion of Da Vinci's famed "Vitruvian Man" and must find the other half in order to solve the clue,
per TV Guide
Eric wasn't puzzled by an earlier Italian challenge , but will he be able to crack a secret code in Rome involving Da Vinci's Vitruvian man ( inset )this week ? /" It has a tie-in to 'The Da Vinci Code ," explains Race co creator and executive producer Bertram van Munster. " We'll be using the most famous places in Rome." At the Trevi Fountain , the teams will receive part of an image of da Vinci's Virtruvian Man . Then they'll go in search of the second half of the clue ,which will help them crack a secret code.

http://lionardodavinci.blogspot.com/  ( link thanks to Gman )

Trevi Fountain ( thanks Sups )

Greece Leg
Parthenon, Athens, Greece ( thanks to Neobie )
:bar:
Detour ( We don't see the other option )
teams return to ancient times and compete in Olympic games that include a grueling bout in the mud with a Greek wrestler
[missing Lake & Michele Eric & Jeremy ]
    Tyler & BJ
  Ray

MOJO
  banzai spots Mo behind Ray
RoadBlock/zulu bungee jumping
During a roadblock, teams face a 240-foot bungee jump off the Corinth Canal bridge and one racer becomes paralyzed with fear

zulu bungee /Corinth canal ,Greece ( found way back in Dec by Chateau d if )

I think this is MoJo running on the bridge over the canal

Monica

Michelle

Lake looks pure evil watching Michelle

Yolanda & Ray running near the canal ( thanks banzai )
Ray

Tyler

Frans ascared

Barry watches
whatever
   the Frats in a Taxi  :" woohooo "
   Michelle & Lake ( Italy subway ?)

extra stuff from the introflashcaps

Zante Radio Taxi Services

They're on the island of Zakynthos, off the Peloponnese Peninsula, geographically closer to Sicily than you can ever get. Hellenic Mediterranean Lines (not the boat in the vidcaps though) offers a service from Bridici (on the heel of Italy's boot) to the island. Could this be the link to Greece?

Gut, and pictures, says it's this. Nafplion Harbour, Greece.

http://tec.uno.edu/noctiite/greece/Images/GrWeb03/images/Nafplio46Harbor_jpg.jpg

( thanks to Neobie )

Getting bored waiting for Wednesday's episode, so just wanted to post the usual GE pictures of the Greece spoilers (as we know them, thanks to Banzai).
Interesting that the Nafplio Harbor and the Corinth Canal are in the Peleponnese, but not too far from Athens.  Nafplio is quite remote.  Hope we spend some time in a big city.  Resolution of GE in Nafplio is useless.

( thanks Boingo )

WEBClues ~
Racers are taken back to ancient times and compete in games that include a grueling bout in the mud with a Greek wrestler.
One racer is paralyzed with fear when they face a 240 foot bungee jump into a canal.
A lack of focus and confusion plagues several teams who get lost driving.

Press clues ~

Da Vinci Code Themed Challenge Highlights Next Episode of The Amazing Race

TEAMS PARTICIPATE IN A SPECIAL "DA VINCI CODE" -- THEMED CHALLENGE WHICH STARTS IN ITALY AND SENDS THE TEAMS RACING TO ATHENS, GREECE
"Herculean Effort For Some Herculean Dudes" -- Teams participate in a special "Da Vinci Code"-themed challenge in which teams are given a portion of Da Vinci's famed "Vitruvian Man" and must find the other half in order to solve the clue 
While Racing through Greece, teams return to ancient times and compete in Olympic games that include a grueling bout in the mud with a Greek wrestler. 
During a roadblock, teams face a 240-foot bungee jump off the Corinth Canal bridge and one racer becomes paralyzed with fear. 
Several teams make a crucial mistake when they fail to follow the clue's directions correctly. 
Meanwhile, a lack of focus and confusion plagues several teams who get lost while driving, and their frustration fuels an emotional breakdown for one team.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 08:56:47 PM by puddin »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2006, 07:40:42 PM »

I see a blue bridge in the upper left corner similar to the bungee bridge

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2006, 07:53:24 PM »
Athens or Olympia, the birthplace of Olympic games?

Maybe Nafplion Harbour is for episode 8? ???

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2006, 08:04:17 PM »
clearer photo

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2006, 09:04:14 PM »
Athens or Olympia, the birthplace of Olympic games?

Maybe Nafplion Harbour is for episode 8? ???

Ancient Olympia Greece is in a very remote western area of the Peloponnese.  According to the web site, it is arguably one of the top three most important archeological sites in Greece.  It remains today an enchanting spot set in the middle of undulating hills and is made, due to official ineptitude, somewhat unnecessarily difficult to find driving your own vehicle or rental car.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2006, 09:32:27 PM »
Some nice pictures of Corinth Canal

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2006, 10:24:19 PM »

just to add this to Neobies theory
  17 Nafplio Harbor or GALAXIDI
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 10:30:51 PM by puddin »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2006, 10:51:27 PM »
Nafplio Greece outer promenade.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 10:56:58 PM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2006, 11:08:41 PM »
Nice find by Neobie don't you think? Maybe our pitstop :) ?

;D

Nafplion: The Bourtzi Castle

fwiw
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 11:34:51 PM by puddin »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2006, 11:57:30 PM »

I found 1 blue bridge in the canal. Maybe that's the one ???

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2006, 12:08:00 AM »
Do you think some teams went to the wrong bridge banzai  :lol: ?

Directions: On Metro Line A, get off either at Spagna or Barberini and walk to the Trevi Fountain.
Line A

Cipro Station:  This station is very close to the Vatican Museums, a couple of blocks closer
           than Ottaviano Station.

Ottaviano Station:  You can walk to the Vatican Museums and St. Peter's from
           here very easily (about four blocks).  See my Vatican area map.

Flaminio Station:  This station brings you out at Piazzale Flaminio.  If you walk back through the
           Aurelian Wall, you are in Piazza del Popolo.  Santa Maria del Popolo is to your right and
           across the piazza are the 'twin' churches.

Spagna Station:  This one should be obvious.  This lets you off at Piazza di Spagna and the heart
           of the designer district.  This station is particularly long because going to the other exit puts
           you on the Via Veneto in the expensive posh part of Rome near Villa Borghese.

Barberini Station:  This is also obvious because here you are at Piazza Barberini.  Nearby sites
           include the American Embassy (on Via Veneto), Palazzo Barberini, Planet Hollywood,
           the downtown airline offices (up Via Barberini), and the macabre Santa Maria della
           Concezione (right at the beginning Via Veneto) which contain four chapels in the Capuchin
           portion beneath decorated with the bones of some 4,000 friars -- a must see in my
           opinion.  It sounds gruesome, but it is amazing.  Check out my Churches and Basilicas
           section for pictures of this remarkable set of chapels.  This Metro station is also not far
           from the Presidential Palace, which is open for free tours to the public every second and
           fourth Sunday of the month.

Repubblica Station:  This station brings you out at Piazza della Repubblica and is near Termini
           Stazione and is close to the Museo Nazionale Romana and Santa Maria degli Angeli.

Termini Station:  This station brings you to Termini Stazione.  It is also where Lines A and B
           cross.  You are not far from Santa Maria degli Angeli, and Santa Maria Maggiore.

San Giovanni Station:  This is as far as I have gone on the subway.  There are only three
           must-see sites this far out in my estimation:  San Giovanni in Laterano (the Cathedral
           of Rome); Scala Santa (the Sacred Steps); and Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, which
           holds the relics of the cross Jesus was crucified on.

This Line continues with the final stop quite a ways out at Anagnina.

map link

Underground

Rome's underground system is made up of two separate lines that intersect at Termini, the main train station. Both lines run from 5:30 am to 11.30 p.m., with a frequency of 5 minutes.
Line A - Links the area of Cinecittą-Quadraro in the south-east of the city with Termini rail station, the historic centre of Rome and the area of Prati to the west.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 12:24:16 AM by puddin »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2006, 12:29:33 AM »
another blue bridge

I think Mojo went to the wrong one so the cameraman pans over to the bungee area

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2006, 12:59:58 AM »

I think it's Segesta  ;D ; recycle

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2006, 01:03:57 AM »
lol banzai ( hoping for some good PIP's tomorrow!! )

its hard to find pictures of subway passages , I cant find the wording
I guess it doesn't matter because it sure looks like Rome ( thanks Boingo )

LEPANTO station
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:07:55 AM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2006, 01:20:18 AM »
Urban Rail is a world database and a good place to start; not much of a photo gallery but it does have some links to each local site. If all you want is a schedule, Subway Navigator should do.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2006, 01:25:38 AM »
thanks Slowhatch

just found one
 :jumpy:

http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/rom/roma2.htm

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2006, 01:45:02 AM »
note how TPTB blackened out any hopes of finding the right station

example

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2006, 01:52:49 AM »
That stinks.  (:;)
I wonder if it will still be rubbed out for the show or if the name has been spray painted.

But Rome is certainly is.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2006, 08:13:17 AM »
since they have to do something in Rome before they head to Athens, maybe they have to do something in the Nafplion Harbour before they go to Oman. So Nafplion Harbour is for episode 8.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2006, 12:12:03 PM »
This is to get all you fine people started on putting the Da Vinci Puzzle together:

After spending a mandatory 12 or 36 hour rest stop at the Grand Hotel Ortigia Siracusa in Siracusa, Italy, teams leave the pitstop at Fonte Aretusa between the hours of 10:30PM and 1:30AM.

They must drive to Catania and find the airport and then fly to Rome, Italy.  When they arrive in Rome at Fiumicino (Leonardo Da Vinci) Airport they must make their way to the fountain made famous in the 1954 movie, and do what the title of the movie tells them to do.  When they have done it correctly, they will receive their next clue, but not from Dorothy McGuire nor Clifton Webb. They have $120 for this leg of the race.

The teams, if they do not get lost on the way from Siracusa (all they have to do is retrace their drive on S114), should be able to catch the first Altalia flight No. 1734 leaving at 6:25AM and arriving at Fiumicino Airport outside Rome at 7:45AM.  Sunrise is at 6:39AM and all of the teams should get on this flight.  BUNCH POINT NUMBER ONE.

In Rome, first, of course, they must proceed to find Fontana di Trevi (made famous in 1954 by the film "Three Coins in the Fountain.")

The easiest and quickest way fromn Fiumicino Airport into the center of Rome (especially in the morning rush hour traffic) is to take the dedicated train which goes directly to the Central Train Station, Stazione Termini (usually just called Termini) a trip that takes about 30 minutes.  Trains leave every half hour beginning at 6:52AM.

When they arrive at Termini Station, they should proceed downstairs to the Metro system which crosses beneath the train station.  Here they want to get on Line A and travel toward Battistina, getting off at the second stop, Barberini, the closest station to the Piazza Fontana di Trevi.  Here is perhaps where we see Michelle and Lake coming up out of the underground station.  It is a short three block walk from the station to the Trevi Fountain.

After throwing their "Three Coins in the Fountain" the teams receive their next clue which is just part of Leonardo's famous sketch of the Vitruvian Man.  This sketch showing a man with extended limbs inside a triangle, inside of a square, inside of a circle is the key to "Da Vinci's Code."

The code when solved revolves around the spacial relationship of the circle and the square which relies on Pells Progressions to solve.  In short, it demonstrates the value of the Octogan as demonstrated by Andronicus of Cyrrha in the building of his Octagonal Tower in Athens, Greece.

To secure the various parts of the sketech, puzzle and the final solution of the code, teams are probably sent by cab on a wild trip around ancient Rome hitting various historical and famous landmarks such as the Arch of Constantine, the Catacombs, the Colosseum, Galleria Borghese, Palatino, Pantheon, Roman Forum, Trajan's Column, the Spanish Steps and Via Appia Antica (the Appian Way).

When they have completed the task and figure out that the answer to Da Vinci' Code, they will realize that they have to return to Leonardo da Vinci Airport and arrange the earliest flight possible to Athens, Greece.

If they are lucky and finish their trek around Rome early they might be able to catch Olympic Airlines flight No. 234 at 11:00AM which arrives in Athens at 2:00PM (and it has been shown so far in TAR9 that some tasks are done very quickly).  If a team is able to catch this early flight they would be able to reach Andronicus of Cyurrha's tower known locally as the Tower of the Winds or simply "Aerides" which is located in the ruins of the Roman Agora  before it closes to the public at 2:45PM (although TPTB seem to be able to arrange opening and closing times to suit their own needs).  If a team is this successful they would then end up at least a good 18 hours ahead of tlhe pack.  It has happened before in Munich. And, terrible thought, perhaps this is why we do not see The Beach Boys after Rome. I'll add that in any case I think Eric and Jeremy reach the Tower of the Winds first, and find the Fast Forward which they will take.  That is why we do not see them either first at the roadblock bungee jump nor later at the Ancient Olympic site of the olympic game detour.  They have done some task and gone directly to the pit stop in Nafplio

But more likely this will be BUNCH POINT NUMBER TWO, as teams take longer to complete the task and will not be able to catch a flight to Athens until Atlitalia flight AZ720 leaving at 2:00PM arriving in Athens at 5:05PM or Olympic Airlines flight OA240 leaving at 7:15PM and arriving at 10:15PM.  There are other flights but these are the only direct non-stop flights listed. Other flights leaving between noon and 7:00PM all are connecting flights through Milan, Munich, Frankfurt, or Paris and take from 6 to 10 hours.

At the airport in Athens, teams will pick up specially marked cars and make their way to the Tower of the Winds in the Roman Agora ruins situated just below the Acropolis and The Parthenon Temple.  However, the advertised open hours are from 8:30AM to 2:45PM.  So it looks like BUNCH POINT NUMBER THREE and a cool, overnight, (even perhaps rainy) camp out waiting for the Tower of the Winds to open the next morning.

And here, I must leave you, as I must now go finish contemplating how to complete my Form 1040 for 2005!

Chiao, baby!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 02:24:14 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2006, 02:20:23 PM »
thanks Gman , do I even need to watch the show Wends?  :lol: Oh OK I'll watch just to see the sights of Roma & Greece  :jumpy:
 later  :waves:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2006, 08:55:11 PM »
OK, getting bored waiting for new previews.  Found Trevi fountain and Metro Stations on Google Earth.  Barberini Station is about .31 miles away, and Spagna Station is approx. .36 miles.  Streets look like a maze, though.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 09:02:56 PM by Boingo »