Author Topic: Amazing Race 9 Articles / Library  (Read 22853 times)

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
Amazing Race 9 Articles / Library
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2006, 11:42:09 AM »
STOP POSTING THESE PICTURES, I'M ALREADY EXCITED ENOUGH.   :jumpy: :bliss:
CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT!  :bliss: :piano:
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »

Question: I have two unrelated questions, so I'll (try to) be brief: Seeing the promos for The Amazing Race 9 (are you as excited as I am?), I wonder if they have ever considered trying it with teams who don't know each other beforehand. I realize they're probably a little gun-shy about experimenting with format after the last race, but I think it might be fun to see strangers working together. My other question is about Scrubs: I read that there has never really been a truly successful sitcom set in a hospital. Leaving aside M*A*S*H (which is kind of a special case), I can't think of any. Can you? Could it be that Scrubs is a historical first? — Staley

Matt Roush: Wow, those are unrelated. But I'm leading with this because (drumroll) I've just seen this week's two-hour opener of The Amazing Race 9, and I'm happy to say: The show we loved is back, as good if not better than ever. Put thoughts of Rob & Amber and the misbegotten family edition out of your mind. The teams are colorful and well chosen. You'll love some, a few will make you cringe, and this is already shaping up to be one of those seasons where you'll be sorry to see most of these teams go. Plus it takes no time for them to leave the U.S. and go someplace exotic (Săo Paulo, Brazil), and the tension never lets up. I was yelling at the TV whenever the players made mistakes, didn't follow the instructions, got lost, got in a slow cab, etc. So great to have it back. End of commercial, now to the question. Simply put, no to shaking up the format and forming teams of strangers. One of the greatest assets of Race is how it tests and in most cases strengthens friendships, relationships, marriages, and parental and sibling bonds by putting these couples through the stress of competitive travel while sharing the marvels of a worldwide adventure. Pairing strangers for the race would rob the show of one of its most enduring hooks. And as you said, Race is no doubt wary about messing with its formula after the "family" debacle.

http://www.tvguide.com/TV/Roush/AskMatt/

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »
Oddly enough, I have wondered several times how the show would work if you had complete strangers working together. I think that would have been a neater thing to try rather than whole families.
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2006, 02:05:49 PM »
OMG from tv guide   , Jeremy & Eric in Russia

Took me awhile, but Jeremy and Eric are actually outside of Red Square at the foot of Bol Moskvoretskiy Most with the Kremlin's Saviour's Tower in the background on the left, and St. Basil's Cathedral on the right.  Red Square lies behind St. Basil's. Looks like they are reading a clue and counting money, so it probably is the start of the next day following a pit stop in Moscow.  Point of pit stop is probably St. Basil's Cathedral which is behind them, and since photographing in Red Square is very restricted they probably put the clue box outside in the square next to the Hotel Moscow (good place to spend the night!).  Looks like dawn is just breaking and  being November is probably around 6:30AM which would mean that they arrived at the pit stop around 6:30PM the night before.  Things to keep in mind when the ep finally takes us to Moscow and for sure we know that Jeremy and Eric last  until then (or it is one hellva decoy being fested upon us!!)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 03:56:11 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2006, 03:27:18 PM »
found something ~

The Amazing Race: Insider Secrets

Amazing Race host Phil Keoghan shares an inside look at this season of the popular reality show, which airs Tuesday at 9 p.m

video

http://www.wbns10tv.com/global/category.asp?c=51378

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2006, 03:29:23 PM »
heres another Phil interview video link ~
http://cbs4denver.com/entertainment

I like how the interviewer calls Phil out on Denver being the starting location "Well, we've seen pictures "
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 03:32:24 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Amazing Race 9 Articles / Library
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 09:39:11 PM »
another Phil interview with video ~

http://kutv.com/video/?id=13434@kutv.dayport.com

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 09:54:52 PM »
im hating fran and barry even more  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2006, 10:13:18 PM »
Prime Time

(B)race Yourselves...

As THE AMAZING RACE prepared to kick off it’s ninth sojourn around the world, Weekly spoke with host Phil Keoghan and co-creator/executive producer Bertram Van Munster, who give candid assessments about last year’s controversial “Family Edition,” (including why everyone hated the Weavers) and preview what fans can expect in the next RACE.

By Robert Schork

Phil Keoghan
—CBS

Soap Opera Weekly: Even though the “Family Edition” wasn’t the success you had hoped for, our hats are off to you for trying something different.
Bertram Van Munster: It sounded better on paper then it was in reality, I guess. It sounded like it could make sense. It’s very difficult to tell the story of forty people in forty-two minutes. Everybody gets less then a minute.

Phil Keoghan: In a way, we had to do something different. We had to try something different. Otherwise we would have been accused of just doing the same old thing over and over again. So we tried it. I think ultimately, we underestimated one of the major draws of the show. Even though we did provide great people, that wasn’t enough for them. They want to feel that they’ve gone somewhere very exotic that they wouldn’t necessarily go themselves but were still interested in seeing. And they want to see people like them go to those places. I feel that if there’s anything positive to come out of what we did with the Family Edition, it’s that we’ll get people who found the show for the very first time because it said “family.” I think we’re going to get them plus all the other people coming back. I actually predict that we’ll have the best ratings we’ve ever had.

Weekly: So what’s in store for the new RACE?

Van Munster: I am really, really psyched about it. The results look amazing. In a reality show, you can cast them, you can get all this stuff and you can dig as deep as you want, but they can blindside you, or they can come out 10 times better than you expected. And I think we got some real good characters. The challenges are really original and are pretty hardcore. The cast is so good that I said, “Whoever gets eliminated, it doesn’t matter, because we’ll still end up with great [finalists].” Because sometimes you think “Oh God, if these guys get eliminated, I am ending up with some weakness here and there.” I never want anyone eliminated because we always put so much time in getting them in the first place that I’m always very sad when they go, but in this case whenever someone gets eliminated, it won’t damage the quality of the show, because the entire cast is marvelous.

Phil Keoghan: Well, people always ask, “What makes this season different from all the other seasons?” The show is the same, the format is the same, the premise is the same — what makes it different is the people. You really don’t know what you’re going to get until you roll the dice. Even though you’re holding the cards in your hand, you don’t know how they’re going to play out. You just do not know. People are going to audition and you see certain things in them that you think are telegenic and are going to make great story and for great television, but it’s really not until you play those cards in this race that you get a clear idea what this is going to be like. There’s a huge amount of change that occurs. As much as everything is planned and locked down as much as possible, there’s also a gamble out there. “Is this team going to play out the way that they say they’re going to play out?” “Is there really an issue going on between this person and that person?” There’s a tremendous amount of excitement in that because it is so unpredictable.

Weekly: In the last adult race, some players, like Rob in particular, played by the rules but found ways to turn the race on its ear a little bit. Have you done anything to prepare for that this time, or don’t you mind if that happens?

Van Munster: No, we did not. Rob played a great game, no question about it. But there were times where he started to combine SURVIVOR with THE AMAZING RACE (laughs). And I said, “Dude, if you’re gonna do that, then you’re gonna lose the race.” But he played very, very well. Rob and Amber were just absolutely fantastic for the race, there’s no question about it. They were very, very shrewd and very gung-ho.

Weekly: In the last race we saw the Weavers become ostracized from the rest of the teams. That’s the first time we’ve ever seen such negativity felt towards a team by the others. Do you experience any of that again in this race?

Phil Keoghan: Not in quite the same way. That was a pretty out-of-the-ordinary situation. Again, not something we anticipated, quite frankly. We didn’t see that coming. I was very surprised by that. When I felt they had knocked the wind out of their sails and they just didn’t wanna go on, I made a point of talking to them and saying, “Hey guys, wake up. This is a great opportunity, don’t throw this away.” I get so many e-mails from people who are so desperate and so keen to be on the show and you wish that you could give everybody a chance, but of course you can’t. So if I feel like any team is not fully appreciative of or not completely committed to being in the race, then I feel like I have to say something. Like, “Hey, are you fully aware of the opportunity that you have here? Don’t waste it. Go for it.”

Van Munster: It was very bizarre with the Weavers, because I couldn’t really see why, but the [other teams] wanted to just push them out of the game. They were always on the s--- list with everyone, and I could never figure out why because they tried to play fair. It was very, very interesting. Do we have people trying to do similar things this time? Absolutely. They are absolutely going after one another. They’re all in it to win it.

Weekly: And so are you, from the sound of things.

Van Munster: Well we put our heart and soul into this race, I can assure you that. I wanna get the old RACE back and I want all of you to be howling in the living room. I want you to be exhausted at the end of every episode from just looking at it (laughs).

source~
http://www.soapoperadigest.com/features/primetime/amazingrace9/index.html

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2006, 10:18:49 PM »
Thanks for the videos Puddin. I guess pickups are the entry vehicles for this season (you couldn't ride like that in CA, you'd get a ticket).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2006, 11:58:24 PM »
Yeah Slowhatch pickups , funny the one article posted "Vans "
anyway Phils Diary from TV guide is now on-line ..it looks word for word the same as the hardcopy article ~

5:00 pm
Finally, everyone starts showing up to meet me at the first pit stop.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Insider/

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 12:08:49 AM »
 USA Today~
What to watch Tuesday night
We're off — and we're off to Brazil! That's just the start of the great news at The Amazing Race (CBS, tonight, 9 ET/PT), which bursts out of the gate with a two-hour special that blows away any lingering cobwebs from the fall's family-edition disaster. This is Race as fans want it: two-member teams traveling around the world (60,000 miles in 30 days, we're promised), jetting to exotic destinations and negotiating their way through clashing cultures. Tonight, that includes learning that getting around Săo Paulo is no samba in the park.
Even the casting seems to be improved over the past few races. Granted, our impressions of the players often change as the game wears on, but initially at least, none of the teams hits the can't-stand-'em annoyance level that many of the families reached on first exposure. And there are already two teams that make an instant claim on your affection, The Freaks and The Geeks. ("We kissed in a helicopter over Săo Paulo," the self-titled nerds announce. "We'll remember that forever.")

In one two-hour package, you get travel, adventure, surprise and an important life lesson: Never try to build a motorcycle under pressure if you've never done it before. Odds are most of you already knew that. But some of the racers don't, which is yet another reason Race is TV's best reality show, bar none. On your marks, get set, go!

link~

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/criticscorner/2006-02-27-critics-corner_x.htm

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2006, 07:08:05 AM »
Globe Through 'Race'-Colored Glasses

NEW YORK, Feb. 28, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Amazing Race" host Phil Keoghan (CBS)

(CBS) It's back to the future for the Emmy-winning reality adventure series "The Amazing Race" as it returns for its ninth season Tuesday night.

Back is the show's international format, with eleven teams of two traveling to exotic locations in five continents, and stops in the Middle East, Moscow and Sicily, among many others.

Contestants include a Pizza Hut manager, dentist, science teacher, children's minister, retired physician and valet. They'll compete against one another in a race around the world for the $1 million first prize.

As usual, Phil Keoghan is the host, and he looks ahead with co-anchor Harry Smith on The Early Show Tuesday.

Season nine also features a contest in which viewers can win trips to the locales seen on the show each week.

The race begins in Denver, and the teams quickly jet off to their first destination, Sao Paulo, Brazil where, upon landing, they must venture deep into the heart of the city to find their next clue at the Hotel Unique.

Almost immediately, teams make their way by foot to a pedestrian footbridge overlooking a highway. One team struggles to locate the clue box, while other teams seem to find it with ease.

At the bridge, teams are faced with their first detour and must choose between finding a local motorcycle shop, where they will have to assemble a motorcycle from scratch, or soaring high above the city in a helicopter to try to locate a building where they'll find their next clue.

Keoghan tells Smith producers always intended to revert to teams of two, from the families as teams featured in the show's eighth edition. Clearly, he says, audiences prefer teams of two and fewer people and more exotic locales or, as Keoghan likes to say, "Less face, more places."

"I think the locations themselves are sometimes the bigger star then perhaps we realized," Keoghan observes.

Season nine, he says, has more miles in a shorter amount of time than ever seen on "Race" before.

"What we are able to do is give the audience a different perspective on the world then what they are being fed though the news every night, the message of wars, riots, and that it's unsafe to leave America. We are putting a positive spin on the world," Keoghan asserts.

Asked what some of the attributes are that winning teams have had over the course of the years, Keoghan says he doesn't really have an answer but, "Of course, intelligence, common sense, and being athletic doesn't hurt."

What about some of the biggest mistakes? "Not reading clues all the way through has got to be the worst," Keoghan responds. Also, giving up before it's over, and going too fast. Keoghan says teams need to slow down and think things through properly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/28/earlyshow/series/amazingrace/main1352171.shtml

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2006, 07:11:57 AM »
Sorry guys, moved to the Spoilers/Rumours thread.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 07:44:08 AM by Neobie »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 07:13:35 AM »
Nice match Neobie :)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 07:18:57 AM »
'Amazing Race 9' kicks off

It's on your mark for the 9th edition of Amazing Race -- and it's all-American

By BILL BRIOUX -- Toronto Sun

Tonight's latest edition of The Amazing Race features hippies, 'hos and homos -- but still no Hosers.

After last fall's soft and fuzzy Family Edition flopped, tonight's latest Race features the most stereotypical pairings ever. It opens with a two-hour premiere starting at 9 p.m. on CTV and CBS.

But despite being bombarded with requests from Canadians dying to compete, no north of the border players are in tonight's quest for the million-dollar prize.

Host Phil Keoghan, who spoke with critics on a conference call last week, says CBS is not about to open the show up to international contestants. Reality shows are a lot like the Olympics where TV is concerned, he suggested. "Most people like to watch themselves rather than people from other countries."

In any event, CBS is probably loath to experiment with this series again so soon after the Family Edition flop. All-Star or International Races are likely back burnered for now.

The solution for frustrated Canadian Racers? "Go to CTV and ask them to make their own version," Keoghan suggests. 

The 38-year-old New Zealander knows the series is twice as popular, proportionally, in Canada as it is in the U.S. On a recent visit to Toronto, he tried to hide out in the Air Canada lounge, back to the door and nose in a notebook, and still he was mobbed by Canucks. "No exaggeration, I must get 20 e-mails a week from Canadians saying, 'When are you going to let Canadians play on The Amazing Race?'" he told the Sun last month in Pasadena on the network press tour.

Keoghan admitted that the Family Edition was less than a success. "Race is all about faces and places," he said. "We had too many faces and not enough places." Starting the show by saying, "Teams must now travel 8,000 miles to South Africa," is always going to beat saying, "Teams must now travel eight blocks."

This time, the 11 new two-member teams needed their passports. This ninth edition of The Amazing Race travels 60,000 miles with stops in Moscow, Sicily and the Middle East.

As for talk of an All Star edition, Keoghan said don't hold your breath. Survivor really didn't get any kind of a boost when they did it, he said. He also thinks people change once they've been on one series. "They have a chance to reflect on the way they're depicted and the way people react to them," he said. "I don't think they are the same people any more."

TEAMS ARE A REAL TRIP

Remember the last Amazing Race, the "Family Edition," where four member teams basically drove around Mississauga in minivans?

Host Phil Keoghan admits that sucker had too many faces, not enough places. Ratings slumped, especially in the U.S., so the two-member, 'round the world race is back on with a vengeance this time.

Tonight, teams jet from Colorado to Brazil on the first leg of the 60,000 mile journey. To make things ridiculously easy to follow, the producers have cast this edition with the most obvious stereotypes imaginable. Within minutes, they're even calling themselves "the gay team" or "the hippie team." You'll swear it's all been wardrobed and scripted. Here they are:

THE PERFECTS

Lake and Michelle, married parents and too good to be true Southern professionals (he's a know-it-all dentist, she's his assistant).

TEAM 'HO

Danielle and Dani, roller skating skanks from Stanton Island, N.Y. "We love boys!" they declare as the prance around in hot pink suits.

TEAM HIPPIE

B.J. and Tyler, Frisco friends with Cheech and Chong charm. "Dude," says one after a chopper ride, "is this not the most James Bond thing you've ever done?"

THE BLACK TEAM

Ray and Yolanda, a lawyer and a teacher who have been dating long distance for five years. "I'm from the 'hood," Ray declares, adding he had to go to law school to "feel empowered."

THE GAY TEAM

John and Scott, lifelong friends from Massachusetts with one big handicap -- John's fear of flying. "My father called him his tallest daughter," said Scott.

KEN AND BARBIE

Monica and Joseph, incredibly fit Southern daters from Arkansas who water ski together like Sea World pros. A.k.a. "Team Mo-Jo."

THE DUDES

Eric and Jeremy, well-waxed beach bums from Florida where one's a bartender and the other a valet. "We would like to be millionaires," says one, "but we don't want to work for it."

THE FROSTIES

Lisa and Joni, two cougars from Texas shown wearing tiaras and leg wrestling each other in the opener. A.k.a. "The Glamazons" (both are 6-feet tall).

THE FOGGIES

Fran and Barry, Colorado grandparents married 40 years. Barry insists he's no kindly granddad, too competitive.

THE GILMORE GIRLS

Wanda and Desiree, a mother/daughter team with Puerto Rican roots who insist they're going to "salsa our way to the pit stop." A.k.a. Team Boricua (Team Puerto Rican).

TEAM NERD

Dave and Lori from Kansas, two made-for-each-other nerds nicknamed "The Einsteins" by the mother/daughter team.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2006/02/28/1465689.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 08:09:28 AM »
Why Host Phil Keoghan Would Never Run 'The Amazing Race'

Feb. 28 -- Phil Keoghan has been traveling around the world, doing crazy stunts all his life. On his "done" list are: holding the unofficial world record for bungee jumping, staying at a nudist resort, skiing behind a reindeer, sleeping in an ice hotel, swimming across the Bosphorus strait and eating dinner on top of an erupting volcano.

But there's one thing the 'Amazing Race' host would never do: Go on the show himself.

In an interview with AOL Television editor Kelly Woo, Keoghan reveals why not. He also gives us the early word on the upcoming ninth season, his view of reality TV villains, and lots more.

What can you tell us about the new season of 'Race'?
We're back to teams of two, by popular demand. We have less faces than we did in season 8 -- less faces and more places. I really feel excited about season nine. We have some really good teams.

How does the show continue to stay fresh in its ninth year? Will there be any changes to the rules or the format?
What always keeps the show fresh is the fact that we're always going to new places. In terms of changing things, there's no point in changing something that's obviously growing.

Ratings-wise, the show is doing very well now. The first four seasons, it always felt like it was on the edge of cancellation.
Winning the first Emmy definitely peaked people's interest. When you get an award like that and you're up against the best of the best, like 'Survivor' and 'American Idol,' people go, "Well, hold on, what's this show?" I had a lot of people stop me during season 8, saying "I had no idea about 'Amazing Race' until the family version. People are telling me the other version is better, so then I went and watched it on cable. Now I can't wait for it to come back!"

The family edition, however, wasn't a big hit with fans. Why do think that was the case?

I think it proved that while fans love having new people every season, one of the big draws of the show is the places. ['Family Edition' took place in the U.S.] A successful race seems to be a combination of faces and places. More faces, obviously, does not make up for less places.

Will the show ever do an all-stars edition?
I don't know. If you look at the history of having all-stars in any of the other reality shows, they don't do any better than having fresh faces. It's also a very different show. Once people have had a chance to see themselves on television, they're not the same people that went out there the first time. You can't have people come back and capture that freshness and that wide-eyed enthusiasm; they're just more jaded.

If there was an all-stars edition, who would you like to see come back?
I would love to see the fans vote for who they wanted to see come back. Put all the teams up and essentially have a popularity contest.

Do you play favorites with the racers?
You can't help but feel more empathy, feel more of a connection with some teams -- if only because you know they make for great television. Ultimately, the teams I want to see on the show are not necessarily the ones I like the most. Perfect people are not going to make for a perfect show. You need some contrast, you need some opposites.

Is there a particular racing duo you really rooted for?

I can tell you one of my favorite 'Race' moments, which would have to be season five, with Charla and Mirna when they were carrying the piece of meat. It's one of the single most entertaining moments of reality television I've seen.

Some racers have claimed that the editing made them appear more villainous than they actually were. Would you agree or disagree?
I don't agree that editing changes a person's personality. People are what they are. What editing does do is condense all the good and condense all the bad. If there is erratic behavior, that erratic behavior cannot be generated in editing. One of the things I say to the teams is take responsibility for your actions. Don't pretend that what you did in front of the camera did not happen.

Right, like when Jonathan pushes Victoria in season six....
He's probably the one who has said more about that than anybody. I also know him to be, since the race, I've seen him in different lights as well. But if the teams have put themselves in front of the microscope, they have to expect to be examined. I would not do it. I wouldn't go on the 'Race.' I don't want to be examined.

You wouldn't go on 'Amazing Race'?
I don't want to be examined by millions. If it was just an adventure, that would be very different. I admire them all for putting themselves out there. I wouldn't do it. I like to watch on the sidelines. At the same time I say that, I feel like we're giving them an incredible opportunity.

What do you think are the ingredients for a good 'Race' villain?
Our show has never been about having villains in the same way other reality shows have had villains, where there have been people I would define as vicious. I don't think we've ever had anyone on the show who's been outright nasty. We're definitely picking people who are Type A, amped up, competitive, sometimes extremely focused and determined. Worthy adversaries, as I would call them.

Some fans did not like Rob and Amber from season seven, because they'd already won a lot of money on 'Survivor.' How did you feel about including them?

I loved that they were in the race. We really wanted to get some more attention for the show, we knew they had a huge following with 'Survivor' fans and we knew there were a lot of 'Survivor' fans who had never sampled 'Amazing Race.' That said, it's important to remember, they came to the show. We didn't go to them. Having them on the show had a big impact on the ratings. If we're not looking for ways to grow the audience, we run the risk of getting pushed aside by something else.

So, do you ever get sick of traveling?
No, actually. I really like it.

Do you have a favorite location from over the years?
Obviously, I'm biased towards New Zealand, because I'm from there.. [Also,] India because it's such culture shock for the teams. And then my favorite places after that would be anywhere I haven't been before. Prior to 'Amazing Race' I had worked in 60 countries so it wasn't like I wasn't well traveled. Going back to a place like Thailand or Malaysia is always exciting, but it's not nearly as exciting as going somewhere I personally haven't been.

Any travel tips?
I'm a firm believer in doing lots of research. I think the journey really starts before you go.

link~
http://television.aol.com/news/tv_tattler_celebrity_interviews/phil_keoghan?ncid=AOLETV00150000000001

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2006, 01:03:51 PM »
more on Lake~

TV -- Reality brutality
 By DERRICK LANG, Associated Press (ASAP)
© February 28, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) _ When it comes to reality TV, winning ain't everything. It's really all about malevolently garnering the most screen time.

Nobody does that better than the bad guys and gals who make television's guiltiest pleasures, well, guilty. After sneaking a peek at reality TV's latest offerings, asap selected four fiends who could be the next Johnny Fairplay, of ''Survivor'' infamy. Gauge their evil with our Omarosa-o-Meter.

Lake Garner, CBS' ''The Amazing Race'' (premieres Feb. 28)

WHY YOU'LL LOVE TO HATE HIM: This Mississippian and his wife Michelle are the latest in ''The Amazing Race'' tradition of a mouthy-man-and-the-woman-who-loves-him team (see: ''dating couple'' Colin Guinn and Christie Woods in season five and ''married entrepreneurs'' Jonathan Baker and Victoria Fuller in season six.) But unlike his predecessors, Garner delivers his spite with a Southern twang. Dagumit!

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=100331&ran=130491

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 01:32:08 PM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »
this belongs here~

ok i signed up for a trial ,I had to see for myself  :lol:~

Saving 'Race'

Why ''The Amazing Race'' should go on -- Lynette Rice lists five reasons the CBS reality show shouldn't be laid to rest just yet by Lynette Rice

No sense sugarcoating matters: The Amazing Race: Family Edition was a big-time suckfest! As much as we've always loved the Race, we're not quite ready to forgive and forget, so we insisted that executive producer Bertram van Munster and host Phil Keoghan give us five good reasons to tune in again when CBS' Amazing Race 9 debuts on Feb. 28 at 9 p.m. Ready, set, go!

1 NO MORE ANNOYING KIDS! The biggest problem with Family Edition was the sheer number of people on the screen. Of course, now van Munster admits that telling a story about 40 family members in 43 minutes probably wasn't the best idea (ya think?). ''Would we do that again? Probably not,'' he says. ''It looked better on paper.'' (No, it didn't.) ''People prefer a format with fewer faces and more places,'' adds Keoghan. ''This show is best when it allows ordinary people to go to extraordinary places, and when it allows the viewing public to live vicariously through the teams.'' Which means the next installment will have...

2 DYNAMIC DUOS! Rageaholic Jonathan and his masochistic wife Victoria from season 6 set the standard for scary intensity, but Keoghan hints AR9's uptight dentist Lake (teamed with his dental assistant/wife Michelle) might not be too far behind. There are also two 60-something jet-setters named Fran and Barry, and a couple of gut-busting, book-smart hippies named BJ and Tyler, who apparently love ''good times.'' (We're high on that!)

3 PHIL HAS A CRUSH! The normally stoic Keoghan has a special place in his heart for one pair, former track star Yolanda and attorney Ray. Actually, it's more like he has a special place in his heart for Yolanda's legs. ''The best...ever,'' swoons Keoghan. ''I mean, they're powerhouses. Toned, athletically pleasing. It's like, she comes to the Pit Stop in slo-mo, it's so distracting, it's...'' Okay, okay, Phil...we get it.

4 NEW, EXOTIC LOCALES! This edition makes first-ever stops in Moscow, Sicily, and Oman, which is ''one of the cleanest places in the world — like Singapore,'' says Keoghan. ''All anybody hears about the Middle East is negative. This proves to be a real eye-opener.''

5 MORE AGITA-INDUCING CHALLENGES! Not only will the teams have to cover more miles in fewer days (''Trust me, it gets really hard on the contestants,'' promises van Munster), they'll have to partake in some just plain cruel challenges: A roadblock in Brazil will require them to rappel down a 500-foot building, while in Russia, they'll have to jump off a 10-meter high dive in the dead of winter to retrieve a clue at the bottom of a pool. Of course, that's nothing compared with the challenge in Brazil where they'll have to turn sugarcane into fuel to operate their automobiles. Exclaims van Munster: ''Viewers will want to turn the TV off because they won't be able to take the tension anymore!'' Turning off TVs! That's exactly what CBS wants.

(Posted:02/24/06)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2006, 11:07:55 AM »
Chip and Kim break down the TAR9 teams  :hearts:

http://www.chipandkim.tv/

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2006, 01:03:54 PM »
Somebody's already doing a mashup of TAR9; some of the links and pushpins are a bit off, but it's a good start.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2006, 05:00:18 PM »
@ http://www.tvguide.com/default  , you can watch a video interview of Phil .
Phil smells like LEATHER  :jumpy:

top left corner ~
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 05:04:05 PM by puddin »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »
Saw this when it originally ran last Sunday on the TV Guide Channel.  Phil doesn't reveal anything new, in fact, he sticks to the script, repeating the mantra, "...less faces, more places...".  All in all a forgettable spot, thanks to the dippy co-hosts.  I do find those two flakes sooooo annoying!
 :gaah: