Author Topic: TAR9 - EP1 - What we know and What we do not know  (Read 4621 times)

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
TAR9 - EP1 - What we know and What we do not know
« on: February 27, 2006, 01:46:48 PM »
Boys and Girls, it is that time again.  Time to put down what we know about ep 1 and the whole lot we do not know.  It is always difficult at the start of the race to piece together what is extraneous, what is recycled, what is new, and what deals with the first episode.  So with that in mind, here goes absolutely nothing:

1.  Opening with scenes of the Colorado rockies with aerial shots past rugged and snow-capped mountain peaks, helicopter zeros in on the Red Rock Amphitheatre outside of Denver, Colorado.  Our man, Phil, is spotted at the rim of the amphitheatre as he once again introduces with words like this: "From this historic amphitheatre, 11 teams will embark on a race around the world for one million dollars.  The eleven teams are now being brought to this site by pickup truck...and the 11 teams are...."  The intro to the 11 teams then follows: BJ and Tyler; Monica and Joseph; Lake and Michelle; danielle and Dani; Ray and Yolanda; John and Scott; David and Lori; Eric and Jeremy; Fran and Barry; Lisa and Joni; and Wanda and Desidee.  We also see some pictures of the teams up close and personal with shots of the Double Dee and their Double Dees in-line skating on Statin Island; Monica and Joseph water-boarding and wiping eachother out; and Fran and Barry skiing.

2. After the teams gather on the steps of the Red Rock Amphitheatre between 9:00 and 9:30AM, Phil, gives them the standard background briefing and then tells them that "at the end of each leg there will be a pit stop and the last team to arrive may be eliminated.  There will be eight elimination legs, so don't be last.  The first clue is on top of the baggage you brought with you.  When I give the word, you can run to your bags, read the clue and jump into one of the new Mercedes sedans in the parking lot.  What happens after that is completely up to you. The first team to cross the finish line will win ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!" (Screams, hoots of joy, etc. etc.)

"Is everybody ready?..........All right........ the world is waiting for you....... Good luck........Travel safe.......GO!!"

On the command to go, the eleven teams race up the steps, find their bags, and open the clue which says "Travel to Sao Paulo, Brazil" (more screems of joy and wowies)  You can travel on one of three flights from Denver International Airport and when you arrive you will make your way to the rooftop of the Unique Hotel.

Teams grab cars and start the 45 minute race to Stapleton airport.

3.  Teams arrive at the airport and try to find the best flight.  If they travel on Varig, the airline of Brazil, they will have to go to either, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami or Washington as these are the only airports serviced by Varig.  The best bet is to get to Miami where the direct Varig flight leaves at 8:00PM and arrives in Sao Paulo at 6:05AM the next morning.  The flight from Chicago arrives at 12Noon, the flight from Los Angeles leaves too soon and there is no direct connection. American also flies to Sao Paulo from Dallas/Fort Worth and arrives at 9:52AM  Continental Airlines has a flight through Houston and arrives in Sao Paulo at 10:55AM

End of Day One (Teams flying overnight to Brazil)

4. Early the next morning the teams arrive in Sao Paulo, Brazil (and according to Phil, the first Varig flight due at 6:05AM is late so we have a mess right at the start.

5. Eventually the 11 teams arrive at the Unique Hotel (Have a hunch that Lisa and Joni get lost right from the start and may not realize that Unique Hotel is the name of the hotel and not that it is a hotel which is Unique.)  Anyway, once there the teams get their next clue which is to proceed to the Viaduto Santa Ifigenia.

6.  Teams still have their backpacks on and we see Ray and Yolanda racing across the viaduto.  Later we have Lisa and Joni arriving at the clue box and their reaction seems to say to me "hey, here it is at last, the damn clue box!" and I am guessing (I can guess can't I) that they are last and running way behind the others at this point in time. And I wonder why one of the sisters is carrying her sleeping  bag in her hand, has she found that her backpack is too heavy?  And as an aside, it still amazes me how much junk these people always seem to insist on putting into their back packs!! By now, if any of them have ever watched TAR, they would know that lighter is better!!

7.  The clue here is the first DETOUR of TAR9 (and if tradition follows the only Detour of the episode) We have been informed that the Detour is either MOTORHEAD or ROTORHEAD.  In the former, teams must proceed to a motorcycle shop (Tiger) and assemble a motor bike from scratch.  In the latter teams must fly by helicopter around the city to spot a particular heliopad from ones in the pictures they have been given.  Now it is not clear if the teams must first go by cab to the Marte de Campo Airport to get their helicopter (we see teams running there) or whether they have to go to another building and wait for the helicopter to arrive (we seem to have BJ and Tyler waiting as a chopper comes in from the distance.)  Whatever, the teams seem to end up at the Marte de Campo airport since we see the nerds David and Lori running from their helicopter on the ground there. And none of the Rotorheads are seen with backpacks so if they leave them on the first heliopad do they have to return there to get them? And then what about the airport where we also see teams without them.  This is curious and hard to explain.

Teams doing Rotorhead seem to be BJ and Tyler; Monica and Joseph; John and Scott; David and Lori; Fran and Barry; Eric and Jeremy; and Wanda and Desidee

Teams doing Motorhead seem to be Danielle and Dani; Ray and Yolanda; Lake and Michelle; and Lisa and Joni.

8.  At the completion of the Detour, teams then must proceed to Pacaembo County Stadium.  Here they must locate among all the seats tags which will give them a time they will be able to leave the next morning on a charter bus to Brotas, Brazil. I'm guessing that there will be three bus departures (as that has been the trend in the past)  BJ and Tyler; Double Dees; and Eric and Jeremy may find the earliest departure time since we see them together at the Bus Station the next morning (everyone has changed clothing by then).  And from the tone of the confessional it sounds like Lisa and Joni are last.

So ends day two with a sleep over at Pacaembo County Stadium.

9.  Day three begins with the teams making their way to the bus station and getting on one of three charter buses for the 257KM drive to Brotas, Brazil.  From this point on information is less than plentiful (unless something new turns up in promos tonight or on TES tomorrow morning.  Will check and amend this if possible.

9A.  On arrival they may have to take volkswagon taxi cabs on a wild ride to a market area to  buy various things in the local market. We have shot of John and Scott getting out of a taxi and then later we see them walking around the market carrying shopping bags. This could also be the spot we have seen Mo and Jo in a wild taxi ride. Later we have Lake driving a volkswagon bug with Michelle in the back, so this is where they get to drive with the crazy Brazilians. Perhaps on the way to the Reppel site.

10. One task at Brotas seems to be to reppel down a 500 foot cliff next to a waterfall.  The final task is to take part in an indiginous cultural event - lighting candles before receiving the final clue to race to the pit stop.

11. Day three ends with the teams exhausted, stinking from the lack of showers, and ready to grab some sleep (and eats!) -well,  ten teams will; the eleventh team heads off for the next 26 days in Losers' Lodge in Sequesterville (Rio would be nice!!) Who will end up being Philiminated first?  Without knowing anything about the teams, I am guessing that it may be Wanda and Desidee or John and Scott.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 12:16:02 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR9 - EP1 - What we know and What we do not know
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 01:59:04 PM »
 :jumpy: :hearts: :kuss: Gman You Rock!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be up to early to watch The Early show along with Tony Danza with guest "Phil Keegan " as the announcer said !

AMAZING RACE PREVIEW: The ninth edition the Emmy award winning The Amazing Race returns Tuesday night with a two-hour special. This season, the show returns to its tried-and-true format...11 teams of two, on a frantic race around the world for the one million dollar prize. Amazing Race host Phil Keoghan joins us with a special preview.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 02:05:02 PM by puddin »

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 11:14:08 PM »
:jumpy: :hearts: :kuss: Gman You Rock!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be up to early to watch The Early show along with Tony Danza with guest "Phil Keegan " as the announcer said !

You waking up early? :giggle: Better not stay up too late. I'll try to watch too but I'm off tomorrow and actually get to sleep in (it's Mardi Gras and we're not going this year).
Anyway, I'm soooooooooooooooo excited the race is finally starting. :jumpy:  :cheer: :clap: :rama: :woohoo:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 11:27:42 PM »
I'll be up Sups but pretty much have the feeling we covered whatever Phil has to talk about  :jumpy: 

Have fun at Mardi Gras Sups dont forget to collect those beads :boobs:   :giggle:

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 06:38:05 AM »
Yea, I think we've covered just about everything. Still, it's always nice to hear it directly from Phil. Whatever he has to talk about.
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 08:04:49 AM »
Yay to gingerman28!

I would probably guess that Fran/Barry and Lake/Michelle make it onto the same bus, they're rappelling together.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 12:21:16 PM »
Shots on this morning's TES confirm that the teams arrive at the Red Rock Amphitheatre riding in the back of pickup trucks! Can't wait until some safety nut complains to CBS about promoting this very unsafe procedure!!

Only new scenes are ones of John and Scott arriving at a local market in a volkswagon bug taxi and then having trouble shopping without speaking Portugese. Note their already fairly full shopping bags so they must be near the end of this task.

Also somewhere around here the teams must get into Volkswagon Bugs and drive themselves instead of taking taxi cabs. Perhaps from downtown Brotas out to the Alaya Adventure site to do the waterfall rappel.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 01:01:10 PM »
We know of no shopping task ? where does it fit in ? same goes with the zip-line ..so many challenges  :lol:

Nov 7th /8th
Teams start arriving at Denver
Sao Paulo Airport in Brazil
Get clue from Hotel Unique
 Detour /Motorhead vs. Rotorhead
warehouse to watch an indigenous cultural ceremony/ candle lighting to recieve nest clue , to the ~
rest stop /stadium

this is a rough guess at the Brazil challenges from articles ~
Nov 7~9th
Santa Rita bus to Brotas ? to
Detour ?or to get clue ? Rapell off the waterfall Brotas?

and then leg 2 ~ ( insert date )

challenge in Brazil where they'll have to turn sugarcane into fuel to operate their automobiles

A roadblock in Brazil will require them to rappel down a 500-foot building

and now we have a picture of Lake zip-lining

Lake Garner navigated his way on a zip line during "The Amazing Race." The show kicks off with a two-hour special tonight at 9 on CBS.

Offline charlierose

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Full Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 01:27:59 PM »
Do you guys remember the picture in TV Guide that had the two friends, going out of a pariking lot, with bags.  Maybe this picture was taken when they were finishing this task?

Great Gingerman, You Rock.  :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:

I cant wait to the start of the race.  See you all, after the race.  :hearts:

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 02:41:47 PM »
11. Day three ends with the teams exhausted, stinking from the lack of showers, and ready to grab some sleep (and eats!) -well,  ten teams will; the eleventh team heads off for the next 26 days in Losers' Lodge in Sequesterville (Rio would be nice!!) Who will end up being Philiminated first?  Without knowing anything about the teams, I am guessing that it may be Wanda and Desidee or John and Scott.

I agree with your pick on W/D or J/S bitting it first.  Also gonna add L/J, but we'll see.  Hopefully we'll be treated to another close race to the pitstop (a la Ron/Kelly).  On that note, without knowing anything more than what I've read, I'm guessing that Joseph and Monica cross the finish line first.  I'll likely change my mind tonight, but for now, I'm sticking with that.  For this leg, ten-to-one the Double Dees win it, and the prize is $10,000 each.  I'm pulling for them to take this first leg since things will turn out in a way that might have E/J and B/T competing to get to the pitstop, and they both beat each other and/or get lost.

Anyway, thanks for everything, gman!

EDIT: New prediction of the winner: Double Dee for 1 Million
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 11:04:39 PM by revengefullycreative »
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 03:13:22 PM »
We know of no shopping task ? where does it fit in ? same goes with the zip-line ..so many challenges  :lol:

and then leg 2 ~ ( insert date )

challenge in Brazil where they'll have to turn sugarcane into fuel to operate their automobiles

A roadblock in Brazil will require them to rappel down a 500-foot building

and now we have a picture of Lake zip-lining

We have had shopping trips in previous TAR's so this is not new.  John and Scott are holding shopping bags and John seems to have a list in his hand.  Also the picture from TV Guide seems to match this sequence on TES this morning.

Could that be Lake rappeling down the waterfall cliff instead of a zip line.  I seem to remember, though, that Alaya Adventures also had zip lines set up in the jungle.  So it might be both, but I think that it is Lake rappelling .  Also if the rappel down the cliff this episode, would they do another rappel in ep 2?  I doubt it.  Me thinks that whoever was the author of that article had his info wrong and was just guessing and that goes for making ethenol out of sugar cane which is a process that would take up too much time me also thinks.

Offline cinni

• mind is tiffany twisted
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 05:14:14 PM »
 :cheer:  ok, now i really not wait!! i need a real tar fix now...
always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 08:53:51 AM »
G'Man,  Thanks for the great writeup.  You need to contact World Race Productions and inquire if they can hire you as a consultant.  Your scenario was much more satisfying than what happened during the episode.

I was extremely disappointed with the opening 2 hour show.  Think back to Race 6 in Iceland or Race 7 in Peru and compare all of the activities in those opening 2 hour shows with this one.

Poor John and Scott didn't even get the chance to camp out and bond with the other teams before being eliminated.