The Amazing Race > The Racers

Lake & Michelle ~ Married parents /Philiminated

(1/5) > >>

puddin:
Name: MICHELLE GARNER Occupation: Homemaker Age: 36 Hometown: Hattiesburg, Miss.

Name: LAKE GARNER Occupation: Dentist Age: 37 Hometown: Hattiesburg, Miss.

Relationship: MARRIED PARENTS

puddin:
Hattiesburg couple to appear on 'The Amazing Race'

Hattiesburg’s Lake and Michelle Garner got to see the world, and now the world’s about to see them.

The Garners will appear on the upcoming season of CBS’s “The Amazing Race,” which premieres at 8 p.m. Feb. 28.

The Garners are under a non-disclosure agreement with CBS and by contract cannot speak publicly about their participation until the end of the show.

Lake Garner’s mother, Diane, owner of Occasions in Hattiesburg, said that the family couldn’t talk about what happened, but are very excited to see the couple on television.

“I’m going to be absolutely thrilled to see both of them. I know they are capable of doing this – it is something they’ve always wanted to do. That will make it a real treat,” Diane Garner said.

Lake Garner is a practicing dentist in Hattiesburg, and the couple is described in their official “Amazing Race” biography online at http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race9/bios/lake_michelle/ as “a close-knit married couple” who met during college at the University of Southern Mississippi. Lake is described as a “limited” traveler who is self-described as “energetic and motivated.”

Michelle is a stay-at-home mother who is “much more laid back than her husband and hopes this doesn’t cause friction between the two.”

The show features teams of two who travel across the globe performing missions to win the $1 million prize.

link

puddin:
'Amazing' couple to race for $1M
By Steven Godfrey

Hattiesburg's Lake and Michelle Garner got to see the world, and now the world's about to see them.

The Garners will appear on the upcoming season of CBS's "The Amazing Race," which premieres at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 28, on WHLT CBS-22.

The Garners are under a non-disclosure agreement with CBS and cannot speak publicly about their participation.

Lake Garner's mother, Diane Garner, owner of Occasions in Hattiesburg, said family members are excited to see the couple on television.

"I know they are capable of doing this; it is something they've always wanted to do. That will make it a real treat," Diane Garner said.

Lake Garner is a dentist in Hattiesburg, and the couple is described in their official "Amazing Race" biography as "a close-knit married couple" that met during college at the University of Southern Mississippi. Lake is described as a "limited" traveler who is "energetic and motivated." Michelle is a stay-at-home mother who is "much more laid back than her husband and hopes this doesn't cause friction between the two."

Now in its ninth season, "Amazing Race" features teams of two that travel across the globe performing tasks that range from tough physical feats to gross-out eating contests.

Through a series of contests and missions, the teams will be eliminated week by week until one pair wins the $1 million dollar prize.

"We are extremely excited for our viewers to be able to identify our product with more local people," WHLT general manager Wally Babbidge said in a prepared statement.

As for the Garners: They'll be able to talk publicly after they are eliminated - or win the million bucks.

link

puddin:
'Amazing Race': How sweet the show
By Steven Godfrey

Just to be clear: Nobody in Hattiesburg knows if local couple Lake and Michelle Garner won the $1 million prize on CBS's primetime reality television show "The Amazing Race."

Not even Mom.

"I really don't know, and I really wish I did," said Pam Potson, mother of Michelle Garner. "I'm one of those people who reads the last page of a book first, so this is really killing me."

Potson said that when the Garners returned from five weeks of taping the program last fall, her daughter wouldn't even offer a clue as to what happened. CBS and the show's producers sign all contestants to strict confidentiality agreements until the show's conclusion this summer. That means no interviews, no hints and no clues as to whether or not Lake and Michelle were the last of 11 teams of two competing worldwide for the cash prize.

"There was no changed behavior. No change in spending, like they'd won," Potson said.

So Mom did what any curious fan would - she got on the Internet.

Potson is now a TARfly, (TAR serving as an acronym for the show's name), one of the hard-core "Race" fans who gather online to dissect each episode of the Emmy Award-winning reality show that hopes to recapture its once-surging momentum when the ninth season debuts at 8 p.m. Tuesday on CBS.

The show, which debuted to small fanfare in September 2001, built a steady following until its fourth season, when it took home the first-ever Emmy Award for Best Reality Television Series.

"After the Emmy the show picked up steadily through the seventh season, when they had people from 'Survivor' on there, until last year," TARflies.com site manager Beth Wilson said.

Wilson, a 32-year-old Web developer in Austin, Texas, oversees TARflies, and has watched the show since its inaugural season. Like most "Race" fans, however, Wilson was displeased last year when producers changed the format to family-based teams of four competing only in the United States. She wasn't alone, as ratings dipped for the first time in four years and critics began to sour on the show.

During that season, the family teams stayed inside the United States, and even rode through Hattiesburg on one leg at the Southern Colonel mobile home dealership. Wilson said this season's return to the original format of paired teams competing in more exotic missions all across the world will be a back-to-basics approach.

"It was a couple of factors. For one, four members on a team means the viewer has to get to know 40 different people. One of the things that makes "Race" fun is that you feel like you get to know the players. Also, they stayed in America. I personally think that has a lot to with budget, buying all those tickets to go overseas," Wilson said.

The Garners fit the profile of what TARflies call "real people," specifically persons who haven't appeared on reality television before and aren't trying to become actors or celebrities (TARflies dislike these contestants, labeling them "MActors," as in model/actors).

Lake Garner is a dentist and local developer, and Michelle is a stay-at-home mother to the couple's three children. The pair, who might while attending school at the University of Southern Mississippi, are portrayed on the "Race" Web site as a couple with two different personalities. Lake is a "limited traveler" and Michelle is "more laid back."

"That's really probably accurate." Potson said. "(Michelle) is pretty laid back. She's organized in an unorganized sort of way, which you have to be with three kids. Lake's more of a perfectionist, which you have to be in the medical profession."

Since CBS debuted the contestants in January, TARflies.com's online forums have been jammed with predictions. Wilson said that usually teams with two athletic males are favored initially, but that the show's variety of challenges can make it anyone's game.

"One thing about the race itself is that it's totally unpredictable and that's why it's so fun to watch," Wilson said.

As for the Garner's five-week absence - it isn't much of clue. Wilson said that the entire show is taped in about one month, and even teams that are eliminated early are held in vacation-style resorts (nicknamed "Sequester-ville" by fans) until the show ends.

"From what I've read on the Internet, I think they went to Ghana, Russia and Portugal. But I'm not sure. They are closed-mouthed. Now I don't even try to bring it up," Potson said. "I can't wait to find out. I really can't."

source

Vintage212:
Was it just me or did I hear one of the teams call Lake "Scott Peterson"??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version