Author Topic: EP11 :' The Family Christmas Card '  (Read 34386 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: EP11 :' The Family Christmas Card '
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2005, 10:52:08 PM »
This shot looks like about 8 pm.  So it would then be 2 hour’s drive from Old Faithful. 

From NPS at Yellowstone:  “The maximum speed limit is 45 mph (73 km per hour) unless posted otherwise.” 

From Old Faithful to the entrance is 39 miles.  So that‘s 50 min to the South Entrance. 

So the ranch would be about 70 miles From there.  That is arrived at by the path on the GE image at the bottom.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2005, 11:04:43 PM »
Wow Chateau your really good
this is what Pandora posted after the show
This makes perfect sense because in order to go from Old Faithful to Absarokee, they would have to have taken the round about way because of the Beartooth Highway closure. I couldn't believe they could show all the teams going from Old Faithful to the pit stop in Montana in the last ten minutes of the show.

Good observations on the tents Sups  |#'

I'm still working on the stupid Golf Course ..if only there was one little thing that would make it stand out from all the rest  :madC:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2005, 11:05:28 PM »
This is a close up of the area.  Well, it's as close as Google Earth gets here.  

No high rez.   :cryC:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2005, 10:05:45 AM »
If the teams continue south on Route 287 70 miles to find the ranch with Phil with the raised left eyebrow they would be in the Dubois area.  So if they then are given instructions to continue on as the sun sets in the west, they may not backtrack along route 287 and route 16 to Cody, WY and then up to the Northern Cheyenne or Crow Indian Reservations in Montana but may continue a few more miles south to the WIND RIVER INDIAN RESERVATION.  The headquarters for this reservation is at Fort Washakie a famous Eastern Shoshone chief (with a statue in the Capitol's Statuary Hall in Washington DC). This reservation is home of the Eastern Shoshone and Northern Arapahoe indian tribes.  Both are plains indians and have teepee villages in the reservation.  This area also was on the Famous Oregon Trail.  Covered wagon tours are available in the reservation.  Also there are golf courses in the area. Note:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oregon Trail Covered Wagon Trips

Click Old West Outfitters - Oregon Trail history trips in covered wagons. Beautiful vistas and camping in the Wind River Mountain Range. Friendly historians lead the trips over South Pass.

Museums & Attractions

Dubois

Dubois Museum - 909 W. Ramshorn - It houses exhibits on Indian tribes, cultural artifacts, petrified wood, the tie hacks who helped establish the town and ranch life.

Lander

The Museum of the American West - This museum is currently in the planning stages. It will house western artifacts and have wings devoted to the Shoshone and Arapaho Indian Tribes.

Riverton

The Riverton Museum - 700 E. Park Ave. - Exhibits include American Indian and western artifacts. Old farming and mining exhibits are also housed in this fr

South Pass

South Pass City State Historical Site - This gold boom turned ghost town is preserved as a museum. In the 1860s the city had 3,000 residents. Today the only occupants are visitors to South Pass City.

Golf Courses

Dubois

Antelope Hills Golf Course 307-455-2888

Lander

Lander Golf & Country Club 307-332-4653

Riverton

Renegade Golf Course 307-857-0117

Riverton Country Club 307-856-4779

So they could do the DETOUR and ROADBLOCK  in this area then travel north about 195 miles to Cody, WY to find Buffalo Bill's Bar for the dress up and picture taking (Kodak Digital camera plug, plug). Then on up about 135 miles to Billings, MT for the pit stop.

Just thinking our loud so to speak
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 12:02:12 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2005, 10:27:56 AM »
WHITE RIVER INDIAN RESERVATION

Minor correction, G'Man.  It's Wind River, not White River.  I've been there to see Sacajawea's grave.

The area around there looks nothing like the golf course terrain.  The types of and limited number of trees in the vidcaps look similar to what can be found around a golf course in Cody http://www.oliveglenngolf.com/  Unfortunately, I can't find a match.

Offline Hi-Fi

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2005, 11:19:41 AM »
Hi, guys! Long time no see.

So what's this talk about the Bransen getting eliminated in this episode. They're my favorite team along with Linzes and they are doing really good in this last leg, they're at least 90 minutes ahead of the Glodewskis and Linzes.

Can you tell me what spoilers exactly say that they're out next? Or is  just the cross thing over at the site? Because that could be misdirection, right?

Plus they have final 3 edition, they're like Jon/Kris, the nice/kinda invisible team.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2005, 11:58:24 AM »
D---, you're too fast for me Peddler.  Of course, I meant to write WIND but my fingers don't always do what my brain tells them to do.

One picture of the gold couse on the reservation looks similar but it won't transfer over. Will try the courses and see if any of them have pix we can use 

www.oliveglenngolf.com

The one in Cody does look similar to the vidcap; same sloping fairways and small pine trees. So after doing the DETOUR perhaps somewhere in the Wind River Indian Reservation which from the length of the shadows is either very early in the morning shortly after sunrise or just before sunset.  But the latter makes no sense so it must be the early morning gig. After competing this they could then be given directions to find Buffalo Bill at some sleazy bar in Cody, WY. This would be a drive of about 159 miles.  After getting spruced up and slicked down they have their picture took (have to find someone to take picture of the entire team with BB)  Do they then find a local Kodak dealer and have digital pix printed out (this has been done many times before) and when they do they receive clue to go to the Olive Glenn Golf club for ROADBLOCK which is to find a certain number of balls or maybe just to find the orange ball.  Finally they then get instructions to drive north again to Billings Montana.  Maybe they have to do a task there for another route clue such as find Pompey's Pillar and then get clue to go to the pit stop at the ranch outside Billings.

This is probably the last elimination pit stop. And they probably arrive here in early or mid afternoon since we have report that they had to leave early in the morning to get to the Billings Airport.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 12:39:33 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2005, 12:53:09 PM »
Hi, guys! Long time no see.

So what's this talk about the Bransen getting eliminated in this episode. They're my favorite team along with Linzes and they are doing really good in this last leg, they're at least 90 minutes ahead of the Glodewskis and Linzes.

Can you tell me what spoilers exactly say that they're out next? Or is  just the cross thing over at the site? Because that could be misdirection, right?

Plus they have final 3 edition, they're like Jon/Kris, the nice/kinda invisible team.

:smileC: Hi-Fi !! Nice to see you

we had this Webmonkey screw up the night that the Paolo's were eliminated ,which was quickly fixed the next day .
also we have spoilers that place,sounds like the G-sisters  .. One four hot girls and the other a familly 
Could be the Weavers ..,
Toronto ,Queen's Quay A Lady with kids looking for Tallships 
Linz betting spoiler

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »
be given directions to find Buffalo Bill at some sleazy bar in Cody, WY.

G'man, I don't think the residents of Cody would call the Irma Hotel a sleazy bar.   ]][ ]][ ]][

Slowhatch posted a photo of the bar on the first page of this thread.

I've eaten there and it's a pretty good place.  Even though the vidcaps foucus on the bar, most of the first floor is a dining area with the fancy bar to the side.

I'm kind of surprised that they would shoot any scenes in there since it's a very popular place.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2005, 07:37:07 PM »
I can't speak for Gman but I'm sure he was just joking about the sleeze bar  :keetaC: ..so Pedaler did you get to see this Buffalo Bill ?

I noticed in the Golf shots all are dressed in light clothing

found the Bransens on the golf course ( sorry ,imageshack is on the blink )

See where Rolly is ? is that the greens getting watered ? what time do they water the greens ? morning or night ?

now heres the G-sisters , flag on the back of the cart is out then they pull it in ..

the teepees

when the teams arrive theres already a frame of a teepee and a completed one , probably to show them what it has to look like ( right Sups )

this is the lighting where the Linz are talking about the Tall Tale Paul Bunyon but really mean Bill
they are looking at a map and dressed in heavy clothing , I'm going to guess they are on there way to see Bill /Cody Wyoming

heres the lighting coming through the Irma Hotel  ..maybe we can find out where exactly its located for the time of the day ..Chateau  :yaya:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 07:43:31 PM by puddin »

Offline Hi-Fi

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2005, 07:53:56 PM »
Hey, puddin!

Thanks for the answer. That sucks, i really like the Bransens.

Well, this season is really boring anyway, so i'm really just waiting for season 9 with the teams of two and with the race around the world like the Amazing Race we all love.  : )

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2005, 07:56:00 PM »
About the lighting in the bar, I just get a morning vibe from it.  Can't do better without a shadow line.

The teepee building looks really early morning too.

Temperatures in Cody ranged from 50 at about 5:30 am to 82 at about 3:30 pm on July 27th 2005.

Puddin!  :holidayC:  could you help me gather all the promo shots that show the tee pees with shadows?  I have an idea that at the beginning the shadow points as it would for sunrise.  That I can look up.  Then as teams progress I see the tee pee shadow moving clockwise like the hands of a clock (is that redundant or what!). And it will give some idea of how long the task takes and who gets it done first.  That assumes we can identify which team is at which tee pee.  There's only two doing it so it should be easy.

And not that there was any doubt:  the golf carts are definitely the Roadblock
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 08:20:48 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2005, 08:06:28 PM »
Hey Hi-Fi  , of course I can be wrong  : :grinC:  ? but in my fantasy games they will be my choice for elimination

Chateau ..wishing I could get better vidcaps but the AOL preview is sucky so I tried smaller caps because they seem clearer

Offline never0102

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »
Hey, puddin!

Well, this season is really boring anyway, so i'm really just waiting for season 9 with the teams of two and with the race around the world like the Amazing Race we all love.  : )

Yea looks like they will get Gus and Hera'd sucks.  GH rocked in the leg of the TBC( i think they would have finished second) and then were eliminated in the second half of the TBC.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2005, 08:57:41 PM »
Thanks Banzai!

This would be the Bransens arriving at the Detour.  They are driving (or riding something) along the road that goes behind (shadow side of) the Tee Pees.  And you can see that the Tee Pees are fairly far along.

So they are rather late!

Offline Hi-Fi

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2005, 09:06:07 PM »
Hey, puddin!

Yea looks like they will get Gus and Hera'd sucks.  GH rocked in the leg of the TBC( i think they would have finished second) and then were eliminated in the second half of the TBC.

Yeah...i remember that.They had a pretty good lead. So frustrating. I prefer the Bransens over the Weasels and the Glodewskis any time.

So they arrive late at the detour...more evidence of them losing.

If it's the car battery thing fault, i'll be really pissed.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2005, 09:21:21 PM »
If they lose because of a car battery drainage I'll bash someone  (:;)  .

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2005, 09:35:39 PM »
this is not the Bransens , I think just drivers

like with the Linz

I think this is after the Linz get the clue from Phil " yay the Million is still there " or something like that

heres the Bransens working on the wagon's with the Linz nearby

what could she be riding in Chateau ? I just assumed it was a wagon

shes yelling   " yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee "

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2005, 09:35:59 PM »
Just thought I'd post links to a couple of photos that show Phil sitting on the fence at the false pit stop.

The first one from TARFlies shows little in the background  http://www.tarflies.com/gallery2/v/tar08/tar08_09/RDVD_1599.jpg.html

The second one is from a blog written by the Bowling Moms from TAR5.  The Tetons are shown in the background.  If it's a true vidcap, then the false pit stop was on U.S. 26/89/191 on the way to Jackson
http://moms.vocis.com/archives/2005/11/the_neverending_1.html#more (you may have to scroll down to the bottom of the page)

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2005, 10:20:18 PM »
The route marker given to the teams by the fireman at Old Faithful clearly says drive south on Route 287. Chateau estimates the distance to be about 70 miles south of the South Entrance to Yellowstone Park which would put the ranch somewhere around Dubois, WY.You probably could get a shot of the Grand Tetons way in the distance if Phil is sitting on the right fence with the sun coming from the West which would be on the back of his head.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2005, 11:02:50 PM »
That 70 miles could be expressed as somewhere between 40 and 90 miles.

In the Mom's shot those Tetons do look closer than they would look from Dubois.  I tried Google Earthing it and they get rather small.  But Camera Dudes know how to make the far look near with just a twist of a lens.  So... ?

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2005, 11:05:42 PM »
says drive south on Route 287

Thanks, G'man.  I knew about the 15200 but didn't know about the Route number.

But if the Mom's photo is correct, the false pit stop isn't near Dubois. I've driven that road before.  At Moran Junction, the highway going south splits with one branch going toward Jackson and the other toward Dubois.  The road to Dubois climbs up over the Continental Divide and the Rocky Mountains at Togwatee Pass. Dubois is then 30 to 40 miles downhill from there.  You wouldn't be able to see the Tetons from there.

Estimating travel time after an Old Faithful eruption is kind of dicey.  The racers did not view Old Faithful anywhere near where most tourists do.  In the summer time there could be many hundreds of people around Old Faithful.  Traffic jams can ensure as the sightseers depart.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2005, 11:18:10 PM »
Wherever it is, they don't stay very long.  They get sent on their way by Phil's clue.  Characteristically, they would be sent to find Buffalo Bill in Cody.  And get stopped by Hours of Operation until something like 8 am (a time when regular customers/visitors would not be there).

Then golf carts.  Then wagons and TeePees*.  Then Pit Stop in Fishtail/Absarokee.

*The long shadows here could be either early AM or late in the day.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2005, 11:19:22 PM »
 :smileC: missed you banzai

found this Shadows Keep Highlands Golf club outside of Billings, Missoula, MT
who knows ??

http://www.shadowskeep.com/golfclub.htm
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 11:31:12 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin