Author Topic: Gaghan's on the E.S. 'Blame It On The Red Bean'  (Read 3176 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Gaghan's on the E.S. 'Blame It On The Red Bean'
« on: November 02, 2005, 10:14:45 AM »
Blame It On The Red Bean

NEW YORK, Nov. 2, 2005

"I'm sure the red beans will be coming to the house. I'm sure my friends will be sending them, and I'll get them in the mail."

Tammy Gaghan

(CBS) On "The Amazing Race: Family Edition," the six remaining teams set out from the Panama Canal and raced to the west coast of Costa Rica. The Gaghan family has two of the youngest team members, at ages 9 and 11, but that wasn't their undoing — it was the fault of a one red coffee bean.

During the Roadblock, Tammy Gaghan had a hard time finding a lone red coffee bean in an 800-pound pile of yellow coffee beans.

"It was so frustrating," Tammy Gaghan tells The Early Show co-anchor Rene Syler. "I just don't have the luck for games of chance. And that's a lot of times why we took the physical challenge because you could count on that. I just kept looking and looking. And I couldn't find it."

Tammy Gaghan was the first to get to the pile but the other teams found the bean before her. Even the Weaver family, who had been "yielded," managed to pass them by.

"It was like the cards again with them," Tammy Gaghan says referring to the black-jack card game the Weavers won. "She reaches her hands, like, magically into the pile and all of a sudden it's like 'I found it.' "

Tammy Gaghan's strategy was to evenly spread the beans out. "I dream about this all the time. Like if I approached the pile differently or gone from the right from the left," she says. "I looked in the center and started sweeping and I think I swept too far out to the side. I couldn't find it."

All the while his family just watched from the sidelines, trying to shout encouraging words. Her husband, Bill, says the family had watched "The Amazing Race" in the past to know what to do in cases like this.

"Yelling: 'Go! Try harder!' that didn't work," he says. "It's frustrating to sit and watch, and try to be encouraging, but try not to get in her way."

They may have not found the bean quick enough, but Billy Gaghan found something to teach his children.

"I hope they take from this a sense of optimism and perseverance, and know to never give up," he says. "If you learn anything, you never quit because you never know what's going on ahead of you. We knew we were probably towards the back of the pack after the bean. But you keep pressing ahead, and you keep hoping, hoping that you're still in it. We just had absolutely a blast with it. That was our top objective, and we did that."

Carissa may have cried because she "wanted to go more on the race," but, when asked, the 9-year-old tells Syler, "I did do my best."

"And they were so good," Tammy Gaghan says. "It was my fault that we lost. And not one time on the way did they ever say, 'Ma, we're disappointed with you.' "

Her son Billy, 12, describes the experience as "just amazing. It was a chance where we got to do things that we wouldn't normally be able to do," he says. His favorite part was visiting the space camp. "I'll never be able to do again, probably, the centrifuge."

"It was all good. We had such a wonderful time," Tammy Gaghan says. "I'm sure the red beans will be coming to the house. I'm sure my friends will be sending them, and I'll get them in the mail."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/02/earlyshow/series/amazingrace/main1002909.shtml

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
“We Would Have Paid to Do This Race”
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 10:34:35 AM »
“We Would Have Paid to Do This Race” An Interview with The Amazing Race 8’s Gaghan Family

by Jenn Brasler -- 11/03/2005

Ever thought about taking two kids on the race of a lifetime? Bill and Tammy Gaghan did it. Find out about the pros and cons of an extreme family vacation in our interview with the Gaghan family

link

Offline Ottopart

• RFF Jr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
Re: Gaghan's on the E.S. 'Blame It On The Red Bean'
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 12:28:24 PM »
Quote from the article:

The Gaghans: We are probably the closest to the Paolos and the Aiellos. We stay in touch by e-mail with all of the families. We went to the Aiellos’ and watched episode 2 with their families. The Paolos came to our hotel and we all went out to dinner and then watched the show in our room last night. We liked all of the families and got along with everybody.[/i]

Interesting.  Wonder if the closeness was developed more on the race or in sequesterville, in the case of the Paolos.  I hope it was not in sequesterville.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Gaghan's on the E.S. 'Blame It On The Red Bean'
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 10:44:33 PM »
Good catch  Ottopart  :t-up: . My love for the Paolo's blinded me  (%#