Author Topic: Amy on the Early Show  (Read 3284 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Amy on the Early Show
« on: October 28, 2005, 12:33:53 PM »
( have not had a chance to watch it yet )

Mighty Amy Not Mighty Enough

NEW YORK, Oct. 28, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amy O'Hara on "The Early Show" (CBS/The Early Show)

(CBS) Being the strongest woman on "Survivor: Guatemala" wasn't enough to keep police Sgt. Amy O'Hara from being voted off by her fellow Yaxha tribe mates.

"When you see yourself getting voted out you wish you could stay," Amy tells The Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith. "I know I did everything I could have possibly done to stay. I'm happy."

Her only regret was not making it to the merge.

"After seeing myself get voted off and then they merge right away, I was like, oh, I can't believe this!" she says. "I was this close to making the merge. You want to make the merge when you're there. If there's one thing I look back on, it's, man, I wish I made the merge."

But even while in Guatemala, she knew her number was up when Tribal Council came.

"I definitely knew I was leaving," she says. "I knew it was going to be down to Gary (Hogeboom) and myself, but I really knew it would be me going home. I did everything I could do to try to persuade Danni Boatwright. She had to vote for Bobby Jon (Drinkard), and I tried to go against Gary, too."

Did she know he was a pro football player?

"We knew. We really didn't care. I would just rag him on it," she says. A secret scene shows both tribes hanging out by Yaxha's pool just having fun. But Gary is still in the hot seat with his identity in question.

"I wish I was," Gary tells Jamie Newton, who was not so convinced.

"There is a rumor when we got to camp that Gary was a professional football player," Jamie was seen saying just to the cameras." I don't know what they're saying. He still might be, but who knows."

But Gary is sticking to his plan. Also, just to the cameras, he says, "I'm not blowing my strategy. I'm keeping it."

So what was it like for both tribes to mingle at the pool?

"Gary said, let's not talk game. Let's have fun with this," Amy says. "I went along with it. But I was watching every move everybody made. I wanted to see what was going on. So I was just playing the game there, just seeing what everybody was thinking and acting together."

Throughout the game she gave 100 percent. And her determination shined when she pushed the gigantic ball, even after being knocked down.

"When I went down there, I snapped my ankle. It was bad," she says. "I still have problems with my ankle today. But I got really mad when that happened. I knew that I could really excel on this challenge. I just came back and really kicked some butt there because I was angry."

Amy was also pushed to the limit on the zip line.

"Oh, my God! I was like frightened to death," she says. "That's like 50 feet off the ground, man. I did it. That's the point. I did it."

Being in Guatemala as a survivor was the toughest thing she has ever done "without a doubt. That was extremely difficult," she says. "Just being out there and not having the comforts of life. You're stripped to your soul. You really are."

She still holds warm feelings for her tribe.

"Bobby Jon, Brandon (Bellinger), Danni and Gary, these people are down to earth, hard workers," she says. "They're great, great people. I enjoyed their company. It was awesome."

Now that Amy is out of the game, her challenge is to deal with her friends at the police force in Revere, Mass.

"Every day I go into work on Friday, and I have to hear their comments about everything," she says. "They sort of razz me on everything. They torture me on a few things, but I think most of all they're proud of me. They say, 'Man, I can't believe you did that.' I have a lot of fun with them."

Amy did everything she could, but she didn't make it. Harry Smith says that it is similar to the feeling Red Sox fans get most every season.

"And the Yankees this season, too," she retorts.

©MMV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/28/earlyshow/series/survivor/main989991.shtml

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
Re: Amy on the Early Show
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 12:59:36 PM »
thanks for posting

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 06:14:37 PM »
 :cheeky:

“I Will Get Gary Hogeboom At The Finale”: An Interview with Survivor: Guatemala’s Amy

by David Bloomberg -- 10/28/2005

Amy was one of the strongest people to ever play Survivor, as she pushed herself through not one but two ankle injuries, among other things. How is her ankle doing? How did it affect her game? And what is she going to do to Gary Hogeboom now that she knows who he is? Read on to find out!

RealityNewsOnline: Hello, Amy, and thanks for taking the time to answer these questions for RealityNewsOnline readers! First, how is your ankle – what was the diagnosis and how long did it take to heal?

Amy: I am still in physical therapy with my ankle. Its still bothers me now and then, but I am working to get it back 100%. Its all good.

RNO: Did your ankle injury affect your game strategy and how you planned to play?

Amy: When I injured my ankle – both times, I refused to let it get in the way of my game as best as I could. I dealt with the physical pain, but I also had to deal with it not getting me down psychologically.

RNO: Last week, Brian told us about his "3-2-1 plan" that would have eliminated Bobby Jon if it had worked – why did you and Gary decide to vote off Brian instead?

Amy: Brian's plan was absolutely ridiculous. Any plan which included people writing my name down is not good. Brian's plan was too complicated. Plus, Brian was going after a deal that was orchestrated by Gary and myself with Danni, when she voted off Blake. With that in mind, when we got down to three old Nakum and three Yaxha, I did a little checking around and the vote was going to Brian. Gary gave his word to Danni and he was not going to change it. Plus, Brian was untrustworthy. Brian was never in an alliance with Gary and I. We just sort of let him tag along and use him for our advantage.

RNO: Do you regret that decision now?

Amy: Not in the least bit. If I could have used Brian to my advantage, I would have used him. Brian was going in everyone's eyes.

RNO: And speaking of Gary, have you tracked him down and kicked his ass for lying about his job?

Amy: Gary, Gary, Gary. I love the guy. I knew he was lying and I had fun with it. If Gary told me he was on the FBI's most wanted list I wouldn't have given him up. Gary and I were aligned from day one, when I approached him. I will get Mr. Gary Hogeboom at the finale. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Ha!!

RNO: If you had made it to the merge, were you planning to try to link back up with members of your original tribe, or would you have stuck with your new group?

Amy: The damn merge. Did it have to be right after I got voted off?? If I made the merge I would have tried to play with loyalty with my new tribe, but there were a ton of possibilities for me. I had Stephenie and Rafe over there, the other half of my original alliance. I love those guys too. Anything could have happened.

RNO: When you were talking to Danni about being able to outwit others, what exactly did you mean and how did you think that would help you stick around?

Amy: When I spoke with Danni, we talked about a ton of possibilities. One being that I knew my old Yaxha team very well, and I could use them to my advantage, and it could help her too. The merge is the meat of the game, you have to play your cards right. I told her I had great instincts and this would help us both if we were in the minority.

RNO: Why do you think your attempt to stick around and target Bobby Jon instead didn't work?

Amy: Well, for one, Bobby Jon was aligned with Danni and Brandon early on, and they did not want to break their word to him. Trust me, I tried. Also, I told Danni that if we were going to merge I would be least of a threat in individual immunity. I tried to tell Danni that the remaining guys would be a threat to her. Voting off one of them would help her in the future.

RNO: If you had it to do over again, what would you do differently?

Amy: Absolutely nothing. I did the best I could do with what I had.

RNO: Is there anything else you'd like to tell us about your time on Survivor?

Amy: Well, I was the person sitting at home on the couch watching the previous Survivors. I can't believe I had this opportunity! Survivor is for real. It was tough, but I loved every freakin' moment. I got along with everyone. I had the opportunity to really meet everyone because of the tribe swap and the pool party. I can't wait to see what happens and see everyone at the final. I love those guys!

RNO: Thanks again, Amy!

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=1&article=article5813.art&page=1

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 10:21:39 AM »
Great article...Amy sounds like a great person!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Amys TV Guide interview
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 04:24:43 PM »
Survivor Cop Is Relieved of Duty
by Angel Cohn

Amy O'Hara

Just minutes before the Yaxha tribe merged with Nakum on CBS' Survivor: Guatemala — The Maya Empire (Thursdays at 8 pm/ET), the remaining members decided to vote off Amy O'Hara. It momentarily seemed like the Yaxhas might have kept the 39-year-old tough-talking Massachusetts police sergeant, who so stoically struggled with a battered ankle, in favor of ousting repeat Survivor wannabe Bobby Jon, but the last-minute plan failed and Amy was sentenced to leave. TVGuide.com asked Amy about her ouster, her plans to bust Gary for lying and which opponent she would have arrested for foul play.

TVGuide.com: I thought you had a chance there, when Danni suggested getting rid of Bobby Jon.
Amy O'Hara: I know, and I worked it the best I could. When I look back, I wouldn't have done anything differently. I worked hard and tried a few different things and it just didn't work out for me. It is destiny.

TVGuide.com: Why do you think they decided to keep Bobby Jon?
Amy: A number of reasons. First of all, Danni and Brandon were aligned with Bobby Jon early on and they didn't want to break their word. Plus, I tried to work with Danni on even voting out Gary because we were going to merge.

TVGuide.com: Really?
Amy: Yeah — I said [to Danni], "The guys are going to be more of a physical threat when you merge, compared to me, who has a bum ankle. You've got to keep that in mind." Then I said, "Bobby Jon already had his shot. What about me? Help me out here."

TVGuide.com: So how is your ankle now?
Amy: I'm still in physical therapy for my ankle. It will be 100 percent soon, I hope.

TVGuide.com: Was it broken or sprained?
Amy: I had a real bad sprain. It was blown out.

TVGuide.com: Right, and then you injured it again in that game with the giant balls.
Amy: When I injured it that second time, oh my god — I saw stars.

TVGuide.com: But you got right back up.
Amy: I know! I was p---ed off that it happened. I just got mad and thought there was no way I am going out like this.

TVGuide.com: You had said they would never give someone like you a second chance to compete on Survivor. Why not?
Amy: I think because Bobby Jon and Stephenie are like 28 years old, and they are gorgeous — people love that. I'm going to be 40, you know what I'm sayin'? Who would give me a second chance?

TVGuide.com: Did you think you had a stronger chance before the tribal switcheroo?
Amy: Before the teams got split up, I was in a tight alliance, which meant I probably would have made the merge. It was me, Gary, Stephenie and Rafe — we were tight. But you know, things happen. The tribes switch up and you have to get as far as you can, but it just didn't work out. The numbers weren't there for me.

TVGuide.com: You also threatened to hunt Gary down if you found out he was lying. Are you still planning on that?
Amy: Yeah. [Yells] "Ga-a-a-ry!" Well, first of all I don't have to hunt him down, I know exactly where he is. I kind of knew [he was lying], but the fact that he laughed at me and still denied it just aggravated me. Every day I'd rib him and and say "Gary Hawkins [the pseudonym he was using to hide his football past], I'll find you." I know it is [really] Gary Hogeboom. When I see him out in L.A. [for the reunion], I'm going to sack the quarterback.

TVGuide.com: He kept saying you'd never find him because you were looking for the wrong guy.
Amy: I know, but we know you are Gary Hogeboom – it is all over.

TVGuide.com: Did you have fun out there?
Amy: I had a freakin' blast, the time of my life! Even with all the suck-ass bugs and the heat and the not eatin' and not drinkin', and smellin', I had a good time.

TVGuide.com: The zip line: Would you ever do anything like that again?
Amy: Unless I can win a prize or I have to do it, I won't do it again.

TVGuide.com: It seemed like less of a reward and more of a challenge for you.
Amy: Right. I'm like, "Is this thing going to hold me?" I do have a fear of heights, but I like to scare myself, too.

TVGuide.com: It absolutely would hold you, because you looked like you lost a ton of weight out there.
Amy: I think I lost about 12 or 13 pounds.

TVGuide.com: Yeah, you looked skinny at the end.
Amy: Yeah! [Laughs] It is all good.

TVGuide.com: Are you going to continue working [as a cop], or do you want to try acting?
Amy: I love my job. I am a police officer. I'm not looking to get into the entertainment world. If something fell on my plate, I would consider it, but I love my job as a police officer. Love it.

TVGuide.com: You deal with crazy people every day, so it seems like a good match for Survivor.
Amy: I deal with deceptive people all day long. So I definitely had experience that prepared me for the mental part of Survivor.

TVGuide.com: What was the hardest thing to deal with on Survivor?
Amy: Without a doubt, it was the inevitable fact that I was going home. That was hard for me. Of course, the merge came right after, so I want to kill somebody.

TVGuide.com: Literally right after!
Amy: Let me tell you, if I had made that merge, nobody would be coming after me. I'm a weak link, and they have to go after the strong with individual immunity. Plus, I had people over there and people from my new tribe. We could have worked a few things.

TVGuide.com: Was there anyone you just didn't get along with?
Amy: Brian and I had a love-hate relationship. We made each other laugh, but he annoyed the hell out of me and I annoyed him. I thought he was treacherous and untrustworthy from Day 1. I knew he was talking smack and everything else behind our backs, but we still laughed our butts off out there

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Insider/

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 09:12:39 AM »
good article ~~ interesting part about her and Brian