Author Topic: Jenn Lyons fights Breast cancer  (Read 25682 times)

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
Jenn Lyons fights Breast cancer
« on: October 26, 2005, 01:01:16 PM »
I saw the article in the People magazine and read this on Coby's Blog. Good Luck Jenn, our thougths are with you!

Coby

10/21/05 9:57 pm
If you want to show Jenn some support you can contact her on her website..

http://jenniferlyon.com/

Coby

10/21/05 9:39 pm
I know you guys love it when I give up some fun dish about the show and I will later in the week...I still have plenty to say about everyone...no worries :)

Another serious blog for now but is from the heart...

I just got back today from being with Jenn Lyon at home with her family in Portland and we shaved our heads together! She did mine and I did hers...how is that for tit for tat? For those of you who don't know Jenn is starting the fight against breast cancer. If you want to know the ins and outs of what exactly is happening with her right now go pick up the latest copy of People and US Weekly...I won't go into the detials here. But know Jenn is loved, strong and I feel beyond lucky to know her much less to have been there to share this experience. Our shavings will be on Inside Edition in the coming week probably on Tuesday. They also filmed her first go round with chemo so people can understand what they might go through if this happens to them. Jenn is also hoping that sharing her story might get others to check themselves. I hope it does.

When I got home today I found out that my baby was checked into the hospital while I was gone for a staph infection. She is still there. She is as strong as Jenn is and I know she too will pull through this. Don't feel sorry for me, I have a wonderful family who supports me, my best friend Amanda is at the hospital right now with her so I can talk to you guys and to go get a good nights sleep.

And believe it or not both of these stories relate to last nights episode for me as I watched my favorite player of the season go...my Brian. I also watched my Margaret fall as the numbers where stacked against her. Margaret I know how it feels.

I know that Brian and Margaret know that they have just had the experience of a lifetime but what they don't know yet is the power of the game that will stay with them for a lifetime. Because whether you placed 1st or last...5th...or 9th...you will always be a Survivor.

As a looked at my friend Jenn cry as she got her last dose of the chemo...and as I held my daughter tonight in the hospital...it is always in the back of my mind.

I talked to Jenn's mom who said she didn't know what she would do if this would have happened a year ago before Survivor because she knows the strength that this 'game' had given her daughter.

So my salute to you two is simple...Brian and Margaret...

Welcome to the club and feel the power that is Survivor.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 09:45:40 AM by Texan_Survivor »

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
Re: Jenn Lyons fights Breast cancer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 01:05:19 PM »
Here is a link ot the People article  http://people.aol.com/people/articles/0,19736,1118164,00.html

Here is waht is on the web ~ not whole story

Former Survivor Battles Breast Cancer

Friday Oct 14, 2005 5:00pm EST

CREDIT: CORAL VON ZUMWALT

Jenn Lyon had it all – beauty and reality-TV fame as a competitor on Survivor: Palau. Now, the 33-year-old tells PEOPLE about breast cancer – and why for her reconstructive surgery was the first step to feeling better

In the summer of 2004, I felt something in my right breast that didn't feel normal. They always describe cancer in terms of a pea, right? Well, this was more like several rocks strung together. I thought it was probably scar tissue related to my breast implants. So I let it go—for a long time.

I got my saline implants six years ago. It was just something in my head that I thought I needed to do for self-esteem, to balance myself out. Before, I was a large A-cup, and the implants changed me to a small C-cup.

At the time I noticed the lumps I didn't have insurance, which was a big part of why I didn't get it checked immediately. I went on the Internet and thought, "It is scar tissue. No big deal." But a year later, I felt another lump right in the center of the breast and something in my right armpit. I saw a surgeon who said, "I'm pretty sure you have breast cancer." After a mammogram, an ultrasound and a biopsy, it was confirmed—stage III.

I opted to get a modified, radical bilateral mastectomy on Aug. 29 at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. A surgeon removed both my breasts and 29 lymph nodes.

After my mastectomy, a plastic surgeon put in "spacers" to expand my chest muscles to make room for the new implants—smaller silicone implants this time. A second operation Oct. 5 completed the process. My new implants have been a huge boost to my spirit.

In a week or so, I start a four- to six-month course of chemotherapy, followed by tamoxifen, a drug designed to prevent a recurrence. My doctor has warned me I may stop having my period and go into early menopause. That’s tough because I haven't had kids yet.

Being on Survivor has helped in every sense of the word. My doctor told me, "You have beautiful hair, and you’re going to lose it." But Coby Archa, the Texas hairdresser who was in my Survivor tribe, says he's going to shave my head for me—and shave his too. Survivor taught me there’s an end in sight. As hard as it is, it will be over, and you have to appreciate every day.

It says for the whole story go buy the magazine...

Offline MediaScribe

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Scribe's Oasis
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:01:59 PM »
If you want to show Jenn some support you can contact her on her website..

http://jenniferlyon.com/

Hi folks.  Coby has graciously provided me with an address to send something to Jenn.  I am putting together a booklet of well wishes from her fans, regardless of what community they are from.  If you'd like to send a message, please feel free to post one here or e-mail it to me at gary@mediascribenh.com and I'll include it.  I hope to send these out by the end of this week (Nov. 11th).

- Mediascribe

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 09:26:09 AM »
Scribe that is great thanks!!!

Offline MediaScribe

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Scribe's Oasis
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 04:11:54 PM »
Sadly, things are not good for Jenn right now.  Coby (who is really a nice guy to his fans!) has given me an update today which I'll share with you...

"Jenn is NOT doing well. She had complications and had to go back to LA to get rid of a infection. She was there for about a week and now back in portland.

Also, her sister-in-law just passed away of brain cancer last week as well...now her family who was already helping Jenn is helping their son raise his 2 young sons...they have alot on their plate right now, so please keep up the sweet thoughts."

If you haven't sent me a support message to get to Jenn but would like to, you still have time.  I'm still putting things together for her.  Post it here, contact me via PM or e-mail it to me at gary@mediascribenh.com.

Thanks.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 05:28:53 PM »
 :ohno: thanks for the update Scribe & thank you for doing this for Jenn .. you are a sweetie .

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 08:58:18 AM »
Thanks for the update!!!  My heart goes out to her, my mother in law is a breast cancer survivor and I saw what she went through.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 04:38:28 AM »
MediaScribe , have been praying for Jenn since I heard about it and will continue.  :prayer: :prayer: Thank you for putting together support messages for Jenn.  I will participate in it.
Ruday  }bH{

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "We're just hoping work can overcome smartness."
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 08:59:44 PM »
We just finished up our interview with Coby and heard more about Jenn.  If you haven't already, e-mail her at survivorjenn@hotmail.com and let her know that everybody in the realityfanforum.com family cares and wishes her all the best.
"Gin is a morose widow. Tequila is the supple mistress with the cojones to attend the funeral. Pour me some mistress."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 05:22:09 PM »
The most recent article on Jenn Lyons  , Jenn is courageous and I believe that she needs everyones support to help her through this time, so if you haven't done so please drop Jenn a note and let her know we are all thinking about her and pulling for her and praying for her  .
She really is a true Survivor ]&]   .

also there is a video link here .

November 20, 2005
'Survivor' finalist from The Dalles battles breast cancer

A KATU News Exclusive
By Kara Mack
and KATU Web Staff

THE DALLES, Ore. - You may know Jenn Lyons as a finalist on the television show 'Survivor - The Palau Series,' but what you may not know is that Jenn is from The Dalles and has returned home to face her biggest challenge yet.

It was more than a year ago that the 33-year-old competitor discovered something abnormal in her breast.

She let it go and went on to win fourth place on the Survivor show, never knowing that something terribly wrong was happening with her body.

Now she finds herself in a real battle to survive, facing stage 3 breast cancer.

"My sister was there with me (when I found out), so we broke down together," she said. "It was just sad knowing things were going to have to change."

Jenn took a radical step for a young woman, choosing to have a double mastectomy.

"In my mind it made more sense in the long run to get rid of it and then in the future, not have to worry so much about it coming back," she said.

After reconstructive surgery, she returned to her parents' home in The Dalles for chemotherapy.

"There are days when I just don't want to do this any more and then there are days that I'm just fine with it," she said. "I'm just like, well, this is the way it's going to be for a little while and then it will be over."

This is not the first time cancer has touched the Lyons family. Her sister-in-law Jami died just this month of brain cancer.

"It was just easier to understand a little bit what she was going through," she said while wiping away tears. "You have no idea exactly what that is like and how much it disrupts your world."

Jenn said her family has been a huge support, but she also credits her Survivor cast mates with lifting her spirits.

For example, Cobe, a hairdresser, flew from Texas to cut Jenn's hair before she lost it.

"He is just someone who just appreciates life so much," she said.

Besides finding friends, Jenn also learned life lessons on the island, lessons that will help her battle cancer.

"(It taught me about) being tough and hanging in there. Things will always get better," she said. "There's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Survivor really brought that home to me."

http://www.katu.com/stories/81270.html

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 06:47:25 PM »
I can only imagine what she is going through....my fight with canncer was caought early and did not have to have chemo.  She has the strength around her to help, and that is half the battle

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 10:09:44 AM »
 }bH{ Thank God Texan  ]**] !!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 02:36:45 AM »
puddin, have you heard any more about Jenn Lyons?  I wonder how she is doing.

Offline MediaScribe

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Scribe's Oasis
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 04:12:01 PM »
Hi folks! (and a special shout-out to Rudy Rules!  :waves: )

Here's what Coby has sent me this week regarding Jenn...

"She is fine and starting radiation in the next couple of months. She is doing great so hopefully this will be over soon. I know she filmed the commentary for the dvd set of our season that will be coming out...so that is cool. That is about it...wish i knew more.
love coby"

So keep those thoughts and prayers going folks!  They seem to be helping!

:waves: to you all!

- Scribe

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 02:27:08 AM »
 :waves: Hey Scribe!
:thankyou: for Coby's update.  I'm so happy to hear Jenn is doing lots better & keeping busy.  Be assured that my prayers continue for her!

Blessings,
Ruday  :tup:

p.s. just heard last nite that my daughter may get to leave the hospital next weekend! Yeah!  :jumpy: She's really working hard to get home soon. Will post more info tomorrow night in the Hey Rudy thread...after my visit with her today...