Author Topic: EP7 & EP8 : " You Look Ridiculous: I Don't Roll With The Punches, I Punch"  (Read 26461 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP7 : " You Look Ridiculous: I Don't Roll With The Punches, I Punch"
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2005, 11:42:59 PM »
Just watching the promo and noticed

the Linz jump out of the raft to grab a canoe , looks like the canoe springs a leak.

The Sticks & Barrels they wear the same type gloves

<< is that Papa Bransen with the hat ? I see some gray hair or its my imagination  .
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 11:50:49 PM by puddin »

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2005, 08:47:22 AM »

the Linz jump out of the raft to grab a canoe , looks like the canoe springs a leak.

See my post above:
"1. When the Linzs are traveling down the river in the raft they jump into the water into a waiting canoe and 5 canoes are there (they are in the lead at this point??). Then they are shown bailing water out of the canoe."

Adding: Look closely at the canoes while Linz is jumping in the water. Me thinks that all the canoes are flooded and they have to bail water before they can go. It's part of the challenge.

Offline kraziladi

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Propane & Champagne...breakfast of balloonists!!!
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2005, 08:56:03 AM »
Getting closer to those Rum Barrels

The Carta Vieja rum distillery near David. Panama.

Now just to find that distillery in Costa Rica!!! :<(

Offline kraziladi

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Propane & Champagne...breakfast of balloonists!!!
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2005, 10:03:37 AM »
I give up looking for pictures.  :hang:  I found a few Rum distilleries in Costa Rica, but no pictures that match the previews, nor tours of these distilleries.  The distillery FANAL, ran by the government, used to be in downtown San Jose, but that location is now a Museum, which actually still has some of the old distillery items, but found no barrels.  :sad:

So at least we can make a good assumption that the barrels are RUM  }alc{ and the racers are still in the Central America area for these scenes. 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2005, 10:30:18 AM »

See my post above:
"1. When the Linzs are traveling down the river in the raft they jump into the water into a waiting canoe and 5 canoes are there (they are in the lead at this point??). Then they are shown bailing water out of the canoe."

Adding: Look closely at the canoes while Linz is jumping in the water. Me thinks that all the canoes are flooded and they have to bail water before they can go. It's part of the challenge.
It was late , I was tired  *8/  . *mumbles* another dumb challenge .

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2005, 02:09:37 PM »
one last thing and I'll leave  {l{ I dont have time to read back right now ..sorry if this was mentioned .

Where did the black hats come from.. I'm trying to catch the writing .. Planes or Racecars ?

<<Linz at Planes << God-sisters at race track << weavers at race track

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2005, 02:28:42 PM »
One of these days I'll stop calling a Detour and Roadblock and a Roadblock a Detour

Trying to put some order into the scheme of things - and keep in mind that the CBS and AOL previews always keep some things hidden from our prying eyes:

Ep. 7 (First Hour)

First off from the arrival times at the beach in our last endearing episode, the tide is fairly up high when the Paolos, Linz and Bransen families arrive within minutes of eachother. Although cloudy (working back from the following) it looks to be early afternoon.  After a lengthy wait, the tide is now much lower, the Godlewskis arrive and the shadows are lengthening. The Weaver arrive and the tide is way out and the shadows are even longer. And since the Gaghans are right on their tail we know the sun is setting since we hear Pa Gaghan exclaim "it's beautiful here with the sunset on the water". If the pitstop is only 12 or 36 hours we would be starting off in the blackness of the early morning; but it is daylight now so let's assume perhaps the pitstop was only 18 hours (happened before in Pennsylvania)

Looks like they leave the pitstop in the early morning for a bracing morning dip in the ocean. A ROADBLOCK since we see only Papa Paolo in the water with the rest of the Paolo family waiting on shore.  But who else is in the water? There is someone else swimming and it looks like a cameraperson in scuba gear shooting Papa.  Must be a planned event since we have underwater camerapeople standing (sic!) by.

Here they get a clue for a DETOUR: Cane or Drain.  (l) Load a cart with sugar cane and cart it off to the sugar mill or (2) drain barrels or kegs hunting for a clue. There are five barrels with clues in a room containing hundreds and we hear Meg Linz "this could take forever" and so they opt out and go to Cane. #2 had been done several times before most recently when Gretchen had to find the tin box with the clue in India (TAR7 EP8).

Clue here may direct them to go to the San Jose airport and catch a plane back to the States - to Phoenix, AZ. There is an Americn Airlines flight out at 9:05AM arriving in PH at 4:55PM. At the airport they pick up a marked GMC Yukon SUV with a clue to drive to the La Puesta del Sol in Ft. McDowell National Reservation the pitstop for this leg of the race and one team "may be eliminated"  Nope. This is the second of a predetermined number of Non-Elimination legs.  The team who know they are running last has learned from the Godlewskies what to do: Pile on everything you own before Phil takes it away from you.  So arriving on the mat, Phil is heard to say "You look rediculous!" Who? Your guess is as good as mine. But my money is on the Bransens since they are getting a minimum of face time in the previews.

Ep. 8 (Second Hour)
During the time in Arizona we have the following:

ROADBLOCK - Ride a stunt plane from the Fighter Combat International located in Meza, AZ This occurs very early in the morning; if the teams leave in the dead of night again, they probably will be faced with a wait at the airport for "open for business" pre-determined time. So everyone bunches up and each team at the git go runs for the number board to get their place in line after reading the ROADBLOCK CLUE.

DETOUR - One task might be to race around the mini-car race track in a pretermined time. The other task: unknown. Or this could be a second ROADBLOCK. Stange things have been happening in this series. But we have Ma Weaver racing and the three siblings on the sidelines worried; they do not look like they are waiting their turn, but they could be.

Planes or Racecars cannot both be part of a DETOUR since we have the Godlewski sisters at both

FINAL - Seems to be concerned with a white-water raft trip down Glen Canyon and then rowing themselves to a campsite which will be the pit stop.  And one team will be eliminated tonight.

A lot of guess work and plenty of time to straighten it all out. So lets get at it oh faithful dectective you.

I wonder how long the teams will take to learn that the more physical a task seems to be, the quicker it can be done?

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2005, 02:37:54 PM »
one last thing and I'll leave  {l{ I dont have time to read back right now ..sorry if this was mentioned .

Where did the black hats come from.. I'm trying to catch the writing .. Planes or Racecars ?

Good call puddin, here's another on a Bransen girl.

My best guess is that the hats came from the race car track so I checked out the Bondurant website. They sell them in the gift shop (see pic). They may not be the exact ones but it makes since that they got them there especially if it is a sponsorship thing.

This would mean that the race cars are a day before the stunt plane since the planes are first thing in the morning.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 04:17:47 PM by supsandalee »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2005, 04:43:47 PM »
Gman your on the ball  :t-up: ..your detective work looks Marvelous !!

supsandalee  |#' ! Yup , agreed  it looks like a 2 day leg in Arizona..
The writing on the hats look similar and ....

The God-Sis is holding one for the driver -sis , plus I see a Blue clue

I think this might be  Rolly, look at the nose  , although we hear him say " im not doing that " at the planes its probably dubbed   from the Racecars task  ..

[URL=http://img497.imageshac day , Walder changes his shirt and as Sups noticed the on girl is wearing her new  hat .

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2005, 05:16:33 PM »
Hats off to youse for spotting same.

And with a blue clue at the race course it would mean a task to be done by all.  So perhaps the same as the horse thing with Tara, each team member has to race around the Bondurant race course under a set time limit.  Then they get clue to drive north from Chandler to the pit stop at La Puesta del Sol.

Next day begins (after thepit stop) at the Mesa, AZ airport (bunch 'em all up once again" for the ROADBLOCK aeroplane ride.  Then perhaps off to the Wilderness River Adventure with some kind of a DETOUR before or after.

Pit stop for EP 8 could be in historic Lees Ferry the original crossing of the Colorado River and is located in area where many rafting trips take place and is at junction of Glen Canyon and the beginning of the Grand Canyon.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2005, 08:44:04 PM »
Note the background building in the pix above of the girl with the black hat - it is the same shot as the one with the Papa Bransen and two girls in the back seat when they are arguing.  So is that a Bransen girl driving? Or a God-sis?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2005, 08:52:08 PM »
It's a Bransen.  The one with the wrist wrap.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2005, 09:20:41 PM »
This pic of Bondurant race trac is from Google Earth. The long white overhang/building is where the Godlewski's should be standing in the vid caps. Morning/Midday/Afternoon????

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2005, 10:16:02 PM »
anxiously waits the shadow analysis  *%#

After show preview .. it didn't turn out too well

http://www.jusspress.com/day.php?userid=23832&currentDate=20051102&currentTime=192345

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2005, 12:08:22 AM »
If that really is where they are then the time is between 10 am and noon.  I'm not certain that is the location though.  And the Weaver's are at a spot I can't find anywhere in my Google Earth.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2005, 01:25:27 AM »
Okay, now I'm getting somewhere.

They built a new track after the Google image was taken.  From their website, brought to us by Slowhatch, I found some images of the new track and spectator structure that the Weavers and Godlewskis are seen at.

The photo with the big crowd is showing the backside of the spectator structure.  Our teams were looking out the frontside.

The Godlewskis were basically looking in the direction that the blue arrow is coming from.

The Weavers were standing near the tip of the steel barricade.  At the end that is closest to the camera in the recent aerial shot.

What this means is that East is to the Godlewskis left (sort of, there is that angle in the barrier)  The steel beams that support the roof in the Godlewski shot point to the south.  They are perpendicular to the long white building in the Google Earth image.

That gives us our orientation.

For the Godlewskis, the sun is coming in right along that steel barrier.  That's at about 125 degrees azimuth.  That happened at 11:25 am plus or minus 10 min.

For the Weaver's, I can't call it so precisely.  The bad news is that the sun is considerably more eastward for their shadow.  That means earlier in the day.  The shadow from Rachel/Rebecca's chin gives the best indicator that he sun is coming from an azimuth at about 90 degrees.  That happened at 9 am.  Call it plus or minus one hour.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 01:58:08 AM by Chateau d If »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2005, 01:34:48 AM »
Moved to previous post due to page break.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 01:38:16 AM by Chateau d If »

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2005, 08:14:57 AM »
Thanks for straightening that out Chateau. I sometimes forget how out of date Google Earth can be. It shows the house next door to mine as an empty lot and I think it was built about 4 years ago!

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2005, 10:25:56 AM »
Another possibility for the river rafting is http://www.greatwesttours.com/tours/rafting.html.

They're based out of Sedona and bring you to the Glen Canyon Dam to begin the float trip. This could be what ties in Sedona from the intro clips. In some of the vid clips it looks like the bottom of the raft is black like the River Adventure Boats but in this one it looks like the blue goes down to the water like the Great West Tours boats. It's hard for me to tell if I'm looking at black bottomed boats or shadows and water reflection. Opinions?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2005, 11:15:47 AM »
Those rafts look smaller that what we see in the promo.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2005, 01:26:15 PM »
The way it looks now is that the Mini-car race is a ROADBLOCK. The family members not racing seem to just stand around watching without preparing to get into the next car.  Per the Weaver kids attitude I guess Ma Weaver is the only one who could do the race thing. If this is Ep8 (Second Hour) Roadblock, we need some kind of Detour.  The raft trip seems to set to be part of a Detour. And from the looks of it the Linz family are in the lead here since there are five rowboats, skiffs, whatever on the bank. Or they are second if there were six boats there as has been the usual practive of Plus One.

It is approximately a 275 miles north from Mesa to Page AZ. That's a bout a 5 hour drive; so alot of time will be spent on the road in Ep8, unless they fly there by charter flight (which, of course, is possible)

If the teams do activity in San Jose before flying to Phoenix I doubt that they could get to the Mini-track in Chandler by 11:30AM let alone 9:00AM  The earliest flight arriving in PHX from SJO is Continental 1485 which leaves at 6:45AM and arrives at 3:19PM. But this would not give time for Pa Paolo to drown if the sun rises at about 5:25AM. American (Sponsor) flight 2166 leaves at 9:05AM and arrives at 4:55PM (via Dallas).  Sun sets in Phoenix at 7:35PM (Mountain Standard Time - Arizona does not go on Daylight Saving time) Sunrise is about 5:34AM.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 01:35:01 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2005, 01:56:17 PM »
It just occured to me that another thing we should be looking for is: a team without their backpacks and/or low on cash.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2005, 02:08:29 PM »
I've been looking Chateau .. no signs of what team could have been mugged based only on clothing so far , unless of course they layered .
Throwing this out
 per the AOL promo
Linz Boy : < sounds like a confessional > " little mistakes happen and the tides turn"
Could it be the Linz team messed up by going for the Barrels then switched to sticks/cane in Costa Rica as suggested by Chateau a  few pages back ? costing them to be mugged by Phil? just speculation .
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 06:48:07 PM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2005, 07:24:37 PM »
It just jumped out at me that you spoke of doing the checking oh..a ... days ago!   |(

Either you're miles ahead or I'm miles behind.

Offline mom24

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2005, 09:39:19 PM »
Just noticed this. My apologies if it has already been discussed.
Is that Bransen dad in the water too?
We see Papa Paolo in the back of the pic, near a camerman, but who is in the front of the pic swimming?

Looks like Walder to me.