Author Topic: Blake A Golden Boy No More/ (interview thread)  (Read 5478 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Blake A Golden Boy No More/ (interview thread)
« on: October 14, 2005, 11:39:55 AM »
Blake A Golden Boy No More

NEW YORK, Oct. 14, 200

"Never once did I speak a bad word about Brian. They had me in interviews, and he's not gay.'

(CBS) Thursday night on "Survivor: Guatemala," old tribal loyalties were ignored as the Yaxha tribe sent one of their strongest players packing.

Unfortunately for real estate agent Blake Towsley, he never learned the old adage "silence is golden."

"I completely got blind sided," Blake tells The Early Show co-anchor Rene Syler. "It didn't make sense to me. I left the game like 'How did that happen?' "

It was Brian Corridan's strategy to "bait Blake" in front of the other tribe mates hoping that the stories he shared would cause them to see "what a moron Blake is."

In his defense, Blake says that he was not talking all the time. "This is 72 hours they shot in 45 minutes. This is happening over a three-day period.

"The hardest part about 'Survivor' is the monotony of the days. The 12 to 5, where it is 120 degrees and mosquitoes, and all you want to do is be home with your family.

"You don't have a TV. You don't have music. Somebody talks. Every once in a while someone would entertain. Amy would be swearing or a crocodile would come by and you make a conversation. Half of the time you are sitting around bored."

Police sergeant Amy O'Hara nicknamed him Golden Boy, saying that Blake would come out smiling and smelling like roses no matter what.

But in a scene shown exclusively on "The Early Show," Brian had a different take on Blake. This is what Brian said about the castoff in a close-up, away from the rest of the team:
"He's got this perfect smile, and model hair and body, and everything he touches turns to gold, which isn't true anyway. So Amy calls him Golden Boy because she has a crush on Blake. That's about it. It makes me vomit because Blake is one of the most egotistical people you've ever met. When Blake opens his mouth you can be 99 percent sure it's going to be about Blake. ... If you can feed Blake's ego, he likes it. And if he knows you're an ego-stroker, he will like you better. ... That's fine with me. I don't care. ... it's ridiculous. It's dumb as hell."
What does Blake think about that?

"It's hard looking at it from my perspective," Blake tells co-anchor Harry Smith. And with a smile, he adds, "A lot of Thursday nights at the bar after watching 'Survivor.'

"I'm proud of myself. People who spent time with me afterward said, 'You're such a humble person.' I'm talking about myself now, but in the game you don't get portrayed as you always are. I want to come away with more than a million dollars — with my honor and integrity. And I did that."

As for Brian, he says: "Everybody on the cast, everybody thought that Brian was gay and made it a big issue and a big hot topic, and he was adamant about defending himself on that. Never once did I speak a bad word about Brian. They had me in interviews, and he's not gay. Brian and I are the two, the exception to the rule. I try to be a good guy for everybody."

So why was he so forthcoming — bragging for example about his girlfriend's bra size?

"They showed me as forthcoming," Blake says. "Amy would talk about things they probably wouldn't talk about in private company. We had some pretty interesting conversations. Some of it is probably not appropriate for that family hour."

The social aspect is the part of the game that is easy to underestimate, points out Rupert Boneham, the most popular "Survivor" and winner.

"You forget about the social side of 'Survivor.' You don't really understand when you start talking about yourself and how other people around you see you," Rupert says. "And you have those people — you had Brian. I had little Johnny rotten who just kind of feeds you and push you into talking about yourself, telling different things. I was yelling at the TV last night saying: You got to stop it. You got to back it down."

Blake says at the beginning his strategy was to stay under the radar. But fate had a different plan.

"The tree fell on me the first hour of the game," he says. "I was blacking out. They were holding me down. (The nurse practitioner Margaret Bobonich) is pulling these thorns out of my shoulder. I still have two in right now. The skin grew over by the time I was done. They never took it out. That slowed me down a bit. I was just going through the process of the game. I mean, every athletic competition I stepped it up. That was the most I could do at that point."

After the shuffle, Blake was supposed to be safe having Danni Boatwright, Bobby Jon Drinkard and Brandon Bellinger from his original tribe, outnumbering Gary Hogeboom, Ami and Brian. So why did Danni cast her vote against him?

"It made sense," Blake says. "I'm a guy. I'm sitting there with Brandon, Bobby John, jocks winning challenges. Let's take the four of us strong people to the end and figure it out. All is fair in love and war. It totally made sense to me. I know I had Brandon to the end. Brandon was supposedly just devastated the next day, and Bobby John — I know he flipped at the end. To me, it didn't make sense. I had talked previously with former 'Survivors,' and they said it's all in the odds. You see Brandon, Bobby Jon and I go to the bathroom together in the woods."

Perhaps too much information, Syler says.

Out of the game Blake notes the game is "a third mental and third physical and third pure luck," he says.

So does two-time Survivor player Stephenie LaGrossa have a chance to win this game?

"I think Stephenie has a chance to make it to the merge," Rupert says. "Now if she doesn't doesn't change her attitude, she's not gonna make it in that merge."

As for Gary, Rupert says his lie is going to cost him at the end.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/14/earlyshow/series/survivor/main943968.shtml

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
Re: Blake A Golden Boy No More/ (interview thread)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 01:55:23 PM »
It made sense," Blake says. "I'm a guy. I'm sitting there with Brandon, Bobby John, jocks winning challenges. Let's take the four of us strong people to the end and figure it out. All is fair in love and war. It totally made sense to me. I know I had Brandon to the end. Brandon was supposedly just devastated the next day, and Bobby John — I know he flipped at the end. To me, it didn't make sense. I had talked previously with former 'Survivors,' and they said it's all in the odds. You see Brandon, Bobby Jon and I go to the bathroom together in the woods."

Interesting comment....who did he hear about Brandon being devestated from?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 03:31:15 PM »
Just had a chance to read the interview Texan  , . Brandon was supposedly just devastated the next day, and Bobby John — I know he flipped at the end. sounds like BJ or Brandon could end up in sequesterville afterall, ?? how did Blake hear this ?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 08:29:55 PM »
“I Thought I Was Safe”: An Interview with Survivor: Guatemala’s Blake

by David Bloomberg -- 10/17/2005

Blake did a lot of talking during his time on Survivor: Guatemala, but did he ever listen to find out if he was safe? Who did he think was going home last week? What was his plan? And why did he talk so much? Blake addresses all of this and more in his interview with RealityNewsOnline.
Why did Blake talk so much, and didn’t he realize how the others felt about it? These are two key questions asked by many viewers of Survivor: Guatemala’s fifth episode. Blake is here to answer them – and more.

RealityNewsOnline: Hello, Blake, and thanks for taking the time to answer these questions for RealityNewsOnline’s readers. What was your original plan for playing the game, and how did it change as time went on?

Blake: My original plan was stay below the radar and play like Brandon but being sick affected me and I wasn’t able to do that and ultimately had to play catch up.

RNO: How did you feel about having previous players in the game?

Blake: At first, we were put back. We worked really hard to get there and we didn’t want it to become the Bobby Jon and Stephenie show.

RNO: Before your original tribe was split and reformed, who had formed alliances that you knew of?

Blake: The biggest alliance was Margaret, Danni, Bobby Jon, Brandon, and myself. Brooke was kind of on her own. Cindy was quiet and Judd didn’t stop talking.

RNO: You said in your final words that you were taken by surprise – looking back now that you’ve seen this episode, were there any hints at all that you now realize meant they were considering voting you off? Did you talk to your fellow original Nakum members before the vote, or did you just figure everything was going as planned?

Blake: There really weren’t any [hints]. All four of my people had a quiet talk in the woods and we agreed to vote Brian out so I thought I was safe.

RNO: Did you have any idea at all that people on your tribe considered you annoying?

Blake: No. I found myself trying to make conversation to pass the time and monotony of the day and sometimes people wanted to talk and others just wanted to whine and complain. Like I said, “cowboy up!”

RNO: Did you talk about your past exploits for any particular reason, such as strategy, or were you just passing the time?

Blake: Just passing the time. The hardest part is not the challenges but the monotony of the day.

RNO: How long did it take to recover from your Day 1 injuries – and did you ever find out what kind of plant it was that cause you so much pain?

Blake: It took me almost nine to ten days before I was better and it happened as soon as we changed camps. As for the plants, it was one of the two plants they told us not to touch. I still don’t know the name of it.

RNO: Why do you think Danni and Bobby Jon changed sides?

Blake: I think Danni orchestrated the entire plot and convinced others to swing that way. Bobby Jon was just a pawn that she could switch and make that happen.

RNO: Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about your time on Survivor?

Blake: It was the greatest opportunity that I ever had. Mark Burnett is very impressive how he takes care of his crew & cast. The sheer size and logistics of the show is jaw dropping. Great group of people and everyone took care of us. I never felt like I was unsafe at any point and totally enjoyed the experience.

RNO: Thanks again, Blake!

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=1&article=article5787.art&page=1

Offline rmax

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 11:11:51 AM »
Just had a chance to read the interview Texan  , . Brandon was supposedly just devastated the next day, and Bobby John — I know he flipped at the end. sounds like BJ or Brandon could end up in sequesterville afterall, ?? how did Blake hear this ?
Whoever next gets voted out of Yaxha could have told Blake of the aftermath of his boot, even if it's Brian or Amy.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 12:58:53 PM »
could be rmax ...Bianca caught this on Blakes interview from Suvivor Live ..
Blake mentioned that on his flight home ..that Brian was doing crossword puzzles .. the Pre-jury does not mingle with the Jurors ..sounds like Blake gave away Brians destiny .

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 01:12:16 PM »
good catch.  Do we think he goes before Amy?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 01:30:11 PM »
I'm clueless Texan , TDT has Margaret as toast ..so shes the one from Nakum to go .
If the winner if the IIC perhaps is allowed to bestow immunity on one of the other tribes members perhaps they save Amy ? as we see in the previews she is hurt so this would force Yaxha to boot one of their stronger players ..the weakest link next in line , Brian ?
All spec of course ..I really have no idea how the Individual Immunity will work this time around , probably some crazy twist .

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 09:43:51 AM »
Well if they vote down tribal lines it would be a 3 to 3 vote....some one flips or the purple rock comes out.  OR previous votes comes back

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Was Survivor's Blake a Big Boob?
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 11:31:53 PM »
Was Survivor's Blake a Big Boob?

The odds were against it, but last week on Survivor: Guatemala, Blake Towsley was picked off by the newly formed Yaxha tribe, and the 24-year-old model-real estate broker never saw it coming. No, he thought that since his old Nakum alliance had an advantage over the original Yaxhas, he was set. But that was before he opened his mouth and started talking about, well, everything. (One particular comment about the size of his girlfriend's breasts may have been what did him in!) TVGuide.com spoke with Blake about the "DD" girl, getting stabbed in the shoulder by a poisonous tree and stabbed in the back by Bri.

TVGuide.com: You seemed surprised that your torch got snuffed. Did you recover from the shock?
Blake Towsley: Yeah, I guess I'll be all right. I'm still coping with it, slowly but surely....

TVGuide.com: When you watched it on TV, did you see how Brian was the manipulator of this whole thing?
Blake: Brian didn't manipulate as much as he'd like to think he did. He kind of built himself up as the big orchestrator of kicking me off, but he really had nothing to do with it. He didn't [speak too well] of me, while I did nothing but defend him.

TVGuide.com: Well, you were going to vote him off!
Blake: I was, purely on the basis that we had the odds, so it just made sense. Of the three [original Yaxhas], Gary was the strongest and Amy was the most entertaining, and then there was Brian. You don't make it a personal issue, but we both kind of made it personal.

TVGuide.com: One big complaint was that you talk too much. Do you think so, or were you just bored?
Blake: I'm sure I talked a lot, because we had the pool and were lying by the pool. If I hadn't gotten voted off, it would have been about Brian and his ego, but since I did get voted off, it was all about me talking. It's just editing. I'm not thrilled about it, but it's not the worst thing that could happen.

TVGuide.com: How cool was that pool?
Blake: The pool was cool. Even Bobby Jon, who spent 21 days in Palau, said it was the best reward he could think of. Being able to get in the water was so important.

TVGuide.com: Are you ever going to go back to Guatemala?
Blake: Guatemala is never again on my visitation list. Costa Rica, Honduras, Belize... beautiful countries, but Guatemala is definitely the armpit of Central America.

TVGuide.com: You came out of the jungle injured and dehydrated. What exactly happened?
Blake: They told us there were two trees you absolutely don't want to touch: One had black sap, which you could kind of look out for, and the other had spikes that you had to avoid at all costs. Jim stood on the base of [a spiked tree] to try to get himself up a hillside, and [when he fell off] the tree snapped over my shoulder and drove me to the ground, sticking some 20 thorns into my shoulder. Margaret got all of them out but about five or six, and the next day she got three more out.

TVGuide.com: Did you get medical attention once you left the island?
Blake: No. By that time, two weeks had passed and it healed over. The doctors offered to cut the last two out, but they said not to worry if they weren't bothering me. They're still in my shoulder. You can kind of feel them if you push around. Supposedly if they get infected, they'll push out of the skin, and that's when they'll cut them out.

TVGuide.com: Are you going to buy Nurse Margaret some flowers or something?
Blake: Actually, my mom asked for her address.

TVGuide.com: How did you manage to be up and running around for the very next challenge?
Blake: Adrenaline. Playing high school and college sports, you don't let the little things get you down. You focus on the greater good, and the greater good is for my team to win. [Before filming, executive producer] Mark Burnett talked to us about people who had quit and become pariahs in their community, and I refused to do that. Quitting wasn't an option. I could have been 100 lbs., wet and out there after 38 days and I still would have been putting it out.

TVGuide.com: Were you shocked by how difficult Survivor: Guatemala was?
Blake: Totally. Once you're on reality TV, you try to defend it. You think they give you bottled water, porta-potties.... But we got so bad after the basketball game, we almost had to go to the hospital. It got rough, and that was not how I thought it would be. It certainly wasn't Palau, where they had a house on the beach and hammocks.

TVGuide.com: Did you think any of the girls were cute?
Blake: If it weren't that situation and it wasn't so foul... I could tell they were trying to pair me up with Danni. She was a beautiful girl before the show — during the show she got so thin — and a great girl, but we just don't have that much in common. Brianna and Morgan were really pretty sweet. I had no complaints about the girls on the show. Some of the guys weren't my favorite, but what are you going to do?

TVGuide.com: Guys other than Brian?
Blake: I never really had a problem with Brian; he was just being an egomaniac and was so impressed about himself that he was lying about his college, and saying that he was a big Survivor freak and he was going to play us all. I didn't get along as well with Jamie and Judd, but that's just personality clashes.

TVGuide.com: I have to ask: Are you still with the "double-D" girl?
Blake: Yes. She's great. She just called a minute ago. She's like, "I can't believe my boobs got you voted off Survivor." I'm like, "Let's not flatter yourself too much...." But it probably didn't help.

TVGuide.com: That seemed to be what put  the "frat boy" image in Danni's mind.
Blake: She said that, but we hung out and were really close. I'm probably the least "fratty" guy you'll ever meet. I was president of a fraternity and so forth, but I'm not that kind of guy. You're never going to see me funneling a beer or anything like that.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Insider/?cmsGuid={18D7745D-CEB3-4412-A630-559F0D94A01B}

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 11:36:08 PM »
Blake mentioned Costa Rica , so did Morgan . Thanks for giving away pre-jury sequesterville  :t-up:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 12:10:17 AM »
Blakes Survivor Live Transcript here from SurvivorFever
Blake mentions that he never  interacted with Steph .. we now know the Pre-jury does not mix with the jury

DR:  I've had Stephenie on and really liked her a lot.  Last season the contestants had positive things to say about her.  This time we've had people in here and not nice things to say about her.  And you're making a face over there.

BT:  I can't speak bad about someone, I've never interacted with her.  I know that she and Judd and Jamie were talking trash about Bobby Jon.  I talked to people afterwards and they were like "she ate more food than everybody else.  The cameras were on and she'd be up doing things around camp and catering to them. The cameras would go off and she'd be swearing and reverting back to New Jersey ways with Judd and talking trash."  I think she plays her princess role but I don't think that's who she is all the time.  Maybe I'm wrong because I've never spent any time with her.  A lot of people had a bad taste in their mouth from working with Stephenie.  I see where the frustration would come in.  To be losing and come in and be losing again.  I didn't interact with her but from everything I've heard, I wasn't the biggest fan either.  Athletically, at challenges she'd try to step it up and she'd create problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caller:  Blake, what was your impression of Brian, Amy and Gary after the switch up?

BT: When we came into the camp I was excited because we had the odds in our favor.  I knew it was Gary Hogeboom.  I knew he played in the NFL.  It was fun trying to stick him with it.  We'd ask him every 20 minutes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on Brian

BT:  Brian gives himself a little more credit than he deserves. In talking to people afterwards, after the game was over, I think that Brian gives himself a little too much credit. He's extremely intelligent.  He's like Mensa intelligent.  Brian, when we'd see him flying home, he's doing crossword puzzles.   He's got to keep his brain going.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 10:37:29 AM by puddin »