Author Topic: The Rogers Family Eliminated From The Amazing Race  (Read 7494 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
The Rogers Family Eliminated From The Amazing Race
« on: October 05, 2005, 01:22:14 AM »
The Rogers Family Eliminated From The Amazing Race
The second episode of The Amazing Race Family Edition kicks off with the teams racing to York, Pennsylvania to find a clue at the top of a house shaped like a shoe.  The clue directs the teams to go to the reflecting pool at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C.  On the way to Washington, the Rogers family makes a critical mistake and misses a crucial turn-off.  Denny Rogers, the father on the team, points the finger at the driver, who is his son Brock Rogers.  Denny says “We said 83 South to the driver, and we passed up the exit.”

Even though the clue clearly directs the teams to the U.S. Capitol, several of the teams go to the reflecting pool at the Lincoln Memorial instead.  Most of the teams quickly realize their mistake, except for the Gaghan family which searches around for two hours.  In fact, the Gaghan family might still be searching if the Rogers family didn’t finally show up and Denny Rogers didn’t point out to them that they should be at the reflecting pool at the U.S. Capitol. 

A clue at the reflecting pool directs the teams to take a briefcase from a black limousine and go to the Tidal Basin.  At the Tidal Basin, the teams encounter a road block where they have to exchange their briefcase for a briefcase being carried by a spy walking around the Tidal Basin.  The complication is that there are fifty people walking around the Tidal Basin with a briefcase and only ten of them are spies.  The amazing thing about this challenge is that mysterious people exchanging black briefcases in the nation’s capital didn’t set off a city wide panic.

After making the briefcase exchange, the teams race to Middleburg, Virginia.  In Middleburg, they encounter a Civil War battlefield recreation where they have to choose between the “Heat of Battle” or the “Heat of the Night.”  In “Heat of Battle,” the teams have to remove five injured soldiers from the battlefield.  In “Heat of the Night,” the teams have to fill up twenty lanterns with fuel and light them.

The Weaver family is the first family to reach the pit stop, and they win a family trip.  After the Weaver family, the order of finish is Linz family, Godlewski family, Schroeder family, Aiello family, Bransen family, Gaghan family, Paolo family, and Rogers family.  As the last team to reach the pit stop, the Rogers family is eliminated.  Denny Rogers steps up and takes the blame for the loss and give the moral of this week’s episode as “You can’t get to where you need to go in this life casting stones and blaming other people for your misfortunes.”
http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2005/10/the_rogers_fami.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Rogers Family Eliminated From The Amazing Race
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 12:18:48 PM »
 Family Beyond The 'Race'

NEW YORK, Oct. 5, 2005

"After the Civil War battle, they took Brittney and Brock to be interviewed, and they took me off in an ambulance."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Renee Rogers

(CBS) The second leg of "The Amazing Race: Family Edition" started in Lancaster, Pa., and ended up on a Civil War battlefield in northern Virginia.

In the end, the Rogers family from Shreveport, La. — Denny, 46, his wife Renee, 42, and their two children, Brittney, 22 and Brock, 19 — came up short.

They say they lost because Renee fell down at the start of the race.

"I had an injury that really wasn't kind of shown and getting sick," she tells The Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith.

"When we got to Washington — we were there actually with four other teams — that's when we realized, Renee wasn't able to keep up," Denny says. "We turned around and looked and it wasn't even the same person traveling with us."

Her children thought she was "a little bit of a hypochondriac." But it turns out she had a concussion and was not 100 percent.

"Actually, after the Civil War battle, they took Brittney and Brock to be interviewed, and they took me off in an ambulance," Renee says. She was sick "the entire time. I wouldn't hold down food."

But that was not the only thing that kept the Rogers from being in the lead. They also got lost in Pennsylvania.

"They left that up to me," Denny says. "They decided dad needs to come read the map. So they put me in a position that I made the wrong call and we went east instead of west."

"I've done great map reading the whole time," Brock says. "In the beginning, before we started, we gave each other duties. He was going to be the map reader. I was going to drive to begin with. So it finally happened and everything went wrong."

Renee adds, "It was really strange because the first night after the pit stop, I had told Denny, you know, I'm really realizing now that Brock is really great at reading the map. Then it was just too late. It was just too late."

Another bad call they made was helping other teams find their clues at the mall in Washington.

"They were in there for two hours," Renee says. Now that they are out, they all agree with Denny. It was a "horrible decision."

But one thing they don't regret is meeting the Schroeder family from New Orleans. After Hurricane Katrina flooded their house, the Rogers invited the Schroeders to stay with them in Shreveport.

"They stayed with us and, actually, we speak every day," Renee says. "Their house is down to the studs. They have nothing left. They knocked it down. And basically they have nothing. They have their race bags they came to our home with and the clothes on their backs."

Denny says other teams have used their home as a mailing point, sending donations to the Schroeders. "The families have been tremendous," he says.

"It's a family beyond the race," Renee says.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/05/earlyshow/series/amazingrace/main915641.shtml

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 12:22:20 PM »
'AmazingRace' endstoo soon
Wednesday, October 05, 2005
ERIN ALBERTY
THE SAGINAW NEWS
MIDLAND -- It took Brock Rogers a couple of months to recover after filming CBS's "The Amazing Race: Family Edition" this summer.

But the reservoirs of agony spilled over again Tuesday as the Northwood University freshman watched Team Rogers' defeat on national television.

"I thought I was over it until just now," Rogers said. "Then I was like, 'You owe me a million!' "
Rogers, along with his parents and sister, bowed out of the $1 million competitive reality show in the second episode after the family took a wrong turn -- over Rogers' objections -- during the Washington, D.C., leg of the race around the world.

There was no bouncing back. The seven other families kept their leads through staged battlefield competitions at a Civil War re-enactment in Virginia, eliminating Rogers' family from the race.

"I'm sitting here watching TV, and some of these people are so out of shape and so slow, and I'm saying, 'How the heck can they beat us? Everyone in our family can run,' " the Shreveport native marveled in a stream-of-conscious reflection minutes after the show.

But Rogers' bewilderment and frustration stop with good-natured reminiscence. He punctuates memories like, "I don't think I talked to my parents for three days afterward," with a pause, a chuckle and, "It was so awesome."

The race, that is -- not the tension, which was palpable after the family's loss, Rogers recalled. He's just glad his big meltdown didn't make it on the air.

"All up and down the sidewalk at Washington, D.C., I was punching signs -- I even knocked a gate down," he said. "Honestly, it was bad. They probably didn't show it because it would have been so embarrassing for me. I'm really glad, because I would have been on Dr. Phil or something."

The sheepishness faded a little as he remembered how he felt realizing how far behind his team had fallen.

"While everyone else went through the clues, we were sitting there like ducks," he said, getting steamed again and then professing his hopes to make it on another reality show. MTV's "The Real World" looks like a nice change of pace after the hyper competition of "The Amazing Race," he said.

First he has college to attend to, and that means dealing with his new campus celebrity -- and the fact that his peers watched him lose a contest on TV.

He purposely kept his viewing party small on Tuesday.

http://www.mlive.com/news/sanews/index.ssf?/base/news-16/112852200088760.xml&coll=9

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 06:54:06 PM »
“We Definitely Worked Together as a Team” – An Interview with The Amazing Race 8’s Rogers Family
by Jenn Brasler -- 10/06/2005

Did the Rogerses plan to stick to an alliance with the Schroeders? Did anyone other than Denny prove to possess leadership skills? What special car feature did the family attempt to use to get ahead? Find out in our interview with the Rogers family.
Reality News Online: Hi, Denny, Renee, Brock, and Brittney! I’m sorry that you got eliminated so soon. You looked like you were strong contenders. How did you decide to apply for The Amazing Race?

The Rogerses: It was Brittney’s idea and everyone went along with it. The hardest to convince was Dad.

RNO: What strengths did you believe you brought with you to the race?

The Rogerses: We thought we brought a competitive spirit to the race. We thought we had a big advantage with the children on the other teams. Denny has a great “odd” sense of direction and we thought that would be to our advantage.

RNO: What did you think your weaknesses might be?

The Rogerses: We thought not speaking a foreign language would hurt us. Brittney was studying up on her Spanish. Brock is more laid back than the others and so we thought that not being as talkative might hurt.

RNO: Brock, we know that you weren’t thrilled about your dad being in charge. How do you think you did with him as the leader?

Brock: I just wished that they would have listened to my ideas more. There were some things that they didn’t show that portrayed my good ideas.

RNO: Did anyone else possess any strong leadership skills, or did everyone let Denny take that role?

The Rogerses: Everybody took leadership roles as different parts of the race. We relied on Renee and Brittney for the clues and catching anything in the clues that would help interpret things. We relied on each other a lot. For example, crossing the Delaware was extremely difficult and we definitely worked together as a team.

RNO: How long did it take you to realize that you were at the wrong reflecting pool? Was the mistake a result of not reading the clue correctly, or something else?

Brittney: We read the clue and I had the map and on that particular map, there only said there was one reflecting pool. Thanks to the Gaghan family, who said they had been there two hours, we realized that there is probably another one [reflecting pool], so we began searching for it.

RNO: We saw you all give the Gaghans a little help with finding the right reflecting pool. Do you still regret doing that? Do you think that things might have turned out differently if you hadn’t said anything to them?

The Rogerses: Yes, we regret it, and yes, we wouldn’t have told them. Their car was also right there and ours was a lot further away.

RNO: Did you see yourselves having a long-term alliance with the Schroeders?

The Rogerses: We had discussed that we were going to get the two teams from Louisiana to the final three, and then once there, we would all be on our own.

RNO: Do you wish that you had chosen the other detour task?

The Rogerses: Either way we were going to be eliminated because we were so far behind. We knew that we were last because we counted the cars. We were just hoping that it was a non-elimination round and we would try to make up for it on the next leg.

RNO: If you could have done anything different on the race, what would it be?

The Rogerses: We would have convinced OnStar to give us directions. We tried to use it in our vehicle but it didn’t work. It claimed that “your subscription does not allow us to give you clues!”

RNO: Thank you for the interview! The best of luck to all of you in the future.

Jenn Brasler is the Assistant Editor of Reality News Online and an aspiring writer from Falls Church, VA. You can e-mail her at luckyjenn@hotmail.com. She could really use OnStar in her car, too.

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=1&article=article5766.art&page=1

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 07:27:04 PM »
RNO: If you could have done anything different on the race, what would it be?

The Rogerses: We would have convinced OnStar to give us directions. We tried to use it in our vehicle but it didn’t work. It claimed that “your subscription does not allow us to give you clues!”

That CBS, they think of everything.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:03:15 PM »
 ((^

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Rodgers TV Guide article
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 10:44:54 AM »
Rogerses Over and Out of the Race
by Rochell D. Thomas

Looks like the sky wasn't blue for the Rogers family after all. The troop from Shreveport, La. — father Denny, 47, mother Renee, 42, sister Brittney, 23, and son Brock, 19 — were eliminated in Middlesburg, Va., after they got lost on the way to Washington, D.C., went to the wrong reflecting pool, then couldn't' make up time at the Civil War reenactment grounds. The day after their elimination they talk to TVGuide.com about their misadventures in The Amazing Race: Family Edition.

TVGuide.com: If you happened to bump into that guy who said "You can't miss it," then proceeded to give you directions to the wrong reflecting pool, what would you say to him?
Brock: I'd slap him.

TVGuide.com: OK, for the record: How do you get to D.C.?
Renee: Um, 80 East.
Denny: 80 West. And since I seem to be the villain here, I'll say I made the decision to go east instead of west. We went 16 miles out of our way — so 16 miles one way, 16 miles the other. That took away our advantage of leaving a half hour ahead of a couple of teams. But at the time, you were talking to a 47-year-old who wears bifocals. We probably should have had a little bit more discussion on the map before I made that decision.
Brock: No excuses.
Denny: The decision falls on my shoulders. And the big thing about leadership, and one of the things I wanted the kids to realize, is that when you make a decision, whether it turns out to be right or wrong, it's your decision and you can't back off of that. You take the responsibility — either the failure or the glory — whatever comes out of that.

TVGuide.com: That's a good lesson. What are some other things you learned about yourselves during the race?
Renee: I learned that, apparently, I can't run to a starting line without falling down.
Brock: I give better advice than I knew. And I give good directions, especially when something's wrong.
Brittney: I'm 23, and I haven't lived at home in years. Being on the race with my parents, I guess I learned that sometimes you have to become a child again when it comes to being with your parents. That was a good lesson.

TVGuide.com: How much time would you say you spent in the SUV?
Renee and Denny: Way too much time.

TVGuide.com: Is that the longest you've been in a car together?
Renee: We have two other children at home, and when we take family vacations, if it's more than four or five hours, we're on a plane. We are not a read-the-map-and-drive family. We are an on-the-plane family. We don't do the car trips well.
Denny: We drive plenty of places. But when it comes to vacations, we've just elected to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible. So we were really pumped and ready to get the clues that said, "Get to the airport." But we weren't getting those clues. It was saying, "Drive yourselves" and then when we had to get the tent we thought, "Oh, god, there's a tent factor here and we might be sleeping not in a hotel."

TVGuide.com: And did you panic?
Renee: Brittney and I have never slept in a tent.
Brittney: I'm not against sleeping in a tent, but the tent we had I don't think was meant to hold four adults in the rain. I was on the edge of tent, which meant whenever it would rain, the tent would slap me. And Brock was on the other side of the tent with the only pillow that we packed.
Renee: And it was pink and heart-shaped!

TVGuide.com: I know it sucks that you got eliminated. But you did two legs. What was the best part about being in the Race?
Brock: Meeting the people.
Denny: And subsequently bonding with them, even after the race. The way nine of the teams came together to collectively help the Schroeders is unbelievable.

TVGuide.com: That's the team from New Orleans?
Renee: Yes. They lost everything in Hurricane Katrina — their home, everything. They only had their backpacks of clothes. They actually came up and stayed with us for two weeks. And the other families shipped clothes and money and, during their premiere parties, they had fundraisers. We've all just been really supportive trying to get the Schroeders back on their feet.

TVGuide.com: That's very kind. How has this experience brought you, the Rogerses, together?
Denny: Brock went off to college shortly thereafter and we realized he would probably be OK 17 hours away from home — and he'll make some pretty sound decisions. Not that we didn't think he could before, but I think it just reaffirmed that he was ready to leave the nest.
Renee: I've always had respect for Brock. He goes about things a little differently. He's not going to shove it down your throat; he's just going to say it, and if you don't believe it, he's like, ‘Whatever, I don't care." That's just his style.

TVGuide.com: Brock, where are you going to school?
Brock: Northwood University in Michigan. I'm studying automotive marketing and management.

TVGuide.com: Random question, Brock: Where'd you get the I Heart Twins T-shirt?
Brock: Hollister. It's a branch of Abercrombie. I thought it would be funny if I wore it.
Brittney: And he really does heart twins — the Olsen twins. So if you could hook him up, that'd be great.

TVGuide.com: I'll get right on that. Have the twins on speed dial. Now, back to the Race. Denny, you said you seem like the villain. Is that how you feel you were portrayed on the show?
Denny: I think they portrayed me as a loser — I mean a leader! —  who made a bad decision. The first day, when we were somewhat indecisive as a group, I took the role of making the decisions and we came in OK. I know Brittney and Brock, and, maybe even to some degree Renee, felt like I was making too many decisions. I drove to the shoe house, then I was asked to get in the back seat and read the map. And of course, that's where I made a mistake.

TVGuide.com: Besides that, is there anything else you would have done differently?
Denny: We certainly could have looked at the clue and realized that it said "at the capital" instead of wasting 10 or 15 minutes to go to the Washington Monument. But all in all, we had a great time. It was a great experience.

TVGuide.com: Where did you guys go after you were eliminated?
All: The hospital.
Denny: Renee fell at the starting line. She had grass on her shirt and pants and she skinned her knee, and when we got to the car she said her ear was ringing and she thought maybe she'd burst an eardrum. So we dusted her off and took off. That night she became nauseous; the next morning, she couldn't eat. As we progressed to Washington, she was starting to not finish her sentences and she couldn't remember what she was fixin' to speak about. She lagged behind at the Reflecting Pool and when I looked in her eyes, I knew we didn't have the same competitor we started with. Once we were eliminated, of course we reserved the right to seek medical attention on her behalf and [doctors] determined that she had a concussion.

TVGuide.com: So, Renee, you went three days with a concussion.
All: Four days.

TVGuide.com: That's dangerous. You can lapse into a coma like that.
Renee: If we hadn't been eliminated then, we would have been eliminated next. That was grounds for elimination.

TVGuide.com: Well, thank goodness you're all better now. Of the people who are still in the race, who would you like to see win?
Renee: We'd like to see the Schroeders win because they need it. And they're from Louisiana, so it would be nice to represent our state.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 11:43:59 AM »
TVGuide.com: I know it sucks that you got eliminated. But you did two legs. What was the best part about being in the Race?
Brock: Meeting the people.
Denny: And subsequently bonding with them, even after the race. The way nine of the teams came together to collectively help the Schroeders is unbelievable.

Odd:  "nine of the teams came together to collectively help..."

Wouldn't someone say: "all of the teams came together to collectively help..."   Hmmmm

And this:
TVGuide.com: So, Renee, you went three days with a concussion.
All: Four days.

is not consistent with Phil being seen catching a flight on the third day (Saturday July 9th).
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 12:00:26 PM »
Maybe she thinks it was 4 days because of the concussion? ( j/k) What an awfull thing ! I watched the insider clips and yeah Renee said she was vomiting ..  can't even imagine trying to race with a blurry world going on around you and not feeling well , this also explains why she switched the Roadblock task. :unde:

http://cgi.cbs.com/vplayer/timeplay.pl?type=wmv&id=15726

Offline Ottopart

• RFF Jr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 01:19:15 PM »

Odd:  "nine of the teams came together to collectively help..."

Wouldn't someone say: "all of the teams came together to collectively help..."   Hmmmm

More support to the grassy knoll theory of eleven teams.

Offline rmax

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 09:43:08 AM »
Couldn't resist adding this here...

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »
 {l{ doc is awesome ..thanks rmax . Did you see the one he made of Meredith & Gretchen  ((^ ?

Offline rmax

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 02:15:10 PM »
{l{ doc is awesome ..thanks rmax . Did you see the one he made of Meredith & Gretchen  ((^ ?
No, I don't think so.  If it's easy to find, add the link, but don't go to a lot of trouble to find it.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 02:47:51 PM »
 ((^ by Dr W C Minor

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rmax

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 08:39:50 AM »
Oh I did see that one, but didn't recognize who it was!  Thanks, pretty funny...