Archive > The Amazing Race

TAR 8 - On-line Articles

<< < (27/28) > >>

Slowhatch:
It's not TAR8 strictly, but it seems the best thread for this:
Google is getting into the on-demand tv game, and will be offering TAR, NBA games, and other stuff. Source
(If they can keep the unit price down to a buck, I might be interested.)

puddin:
I read 1.99 , Slowhatch   :beer:

Also for $1.99, people will be able to rent, for 24 hours, recent episodes of popular TV series from CBS like "NCIS," "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" and "The Amazing Race," Chane said. National Basketball Association games shown on TV can be downloaded for permanent purchase within one day of broadcast for US$3.95, he said.

source

puddin:
just a little blurb in this article ~

Fans seemed to universally loathe CBS's mostly landlocked family edition of "The Amazing Race," and CBS's Tassler acknowledged it was a failed experiment.

"We tried something; I don't think we were particularly successful with it, but the interesting thing is sometimes you get criticized for not experimenting with a form," she said. "In this case we did. Our producers wanted to try something different, and we supported that."

"Race" host Phil Keoghan is also happy to get back to the traditional continent-hopping teams-of-two format when the show returns at the end of next month.

"For me the race is really about faces and places," he said, "and I felt if you take the places away, you do lose something."

and this article ~

Amazing Race host Phil Keoghan said the recent "family edition" of the series was less than a success. "Race is all about faces and places," he said. "We had too many faces and not enough places."

Keoghan said starting the show by saying, "Teams must now travel 8,000 miles to South Africa," is always going to beat saying, "Teams must now travel eight blocks."

He's well aware of the show's enduring popularity in Canada. "No exaggeration. I must get 20 e-mails a week from Canadians saying, 'When are you going to let Canadians play on The Amazing Race?' "

Keoghan says the only solution is to "go to CTV and ask them to do their own version." Just don't let Ben Mulroney near it. (OK, Keoghan didn't say that, I did.)

puddin:
RealityReel has an interview with the Weavers , I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing ( its long ) but wanted to post this part of the interview (from page 7 & 8 )~

As the first half of the final leg wound to a close, and Linda, Rolly, Rebecca and Rachel hopped onto a "golf cart" to search for the field entrance to Montreal's Parc Olympique, the Weaver's strong tailwind suddenly began to wilt and continued to dip and waver throughout the next day — which proved the Race's final hours. Even the fearless, unflagging Rolly finally cracked. Atop the 100 foot rigging of the Kajama, in the Toronto harbor, Rolly had a momentary — uncustomary — glitch. The flag he was to clip to his belt got away from him and tumbled down to the deck below. The Weavers fortunes sinking with it... It's a finale Linda Weaver won't soon forget:

"When we came to the stadium we'd already done a Roadblock and we'd already done a Detour, so I thought it would be a Pit Stop. So I was really, really sad that it wasn't a Pit Stop and then we were an hour and a half in front of everyone, and, so, you know, it was just hard. It was a mind-thing where you just had to slip out of it and not let it upset you. But it did frustrate me because I was just like, Oh, I thought we were going to be first and here we are leaving last...

"And I laid down {on that cot] because I was just thoroughly exhausted and we knew there was only one clue left and knew that we would eventually find it but I just couldn't keep going. So whether we found it right then or whether we found it an hour from then really didn't matter. Nobody else was going to get it. So I just took a nap because I couldn't keep walking. I had no more energy. So that's what happened there.

"Well, I know this is going to sound really silly but I didn't know that it was the final leg. I thought there was going to be one more non-elimination leg because I just didn't understand that. I was very surprised when it was the last leg and they said go to the final city. And I was kinda sad because we had worked so hard that day, you know the dominant day.

"And then the next day, see, we only got about an hour's sleep that night," remembers Linda, "... or an hour and a half; and we had only gotten two hours the night before. So we were really tired, I mean, we were very tired. And they didn't show it but the three kids fell asleep in the back seat and I was driving and I was navigating in Canada all by myself. And I had no clue where I was going and I had difficulty staying awake. We were just spent. So that's where our downfall was... our bodies just got exhausted; we couldn't keep up...

"On the very last day, the very last leg, near the falls, we had gotten into the line to get into the United States, we were headed into the United States line. And so we had to get out. They said, Don't go here, you can't return to the United States. I was just all mixed up because I was driving and the kids were sleeping and I was just too tired and I didn't know where we were going. I was in this long line with hundreds of cars and they said, You can't go. You have to turn around and stay in Canada. I was fixing to go through customs! So that took up a lot of time so I think we were a little bit behind everyone at the end because we were just... lost!

"Yeah. And we weren't really sad, you know, we weren't sad to come in third instead of second or first. I was really proud of the kids. And I think we did win, you know, we accomplished what we wanted to accomplish and we did our best and I mean that's all I can say. And... we didn't do the puzzle, we just ran on in!

puddin:
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Catching up with the Linz family, The Amazing Race, 2005

Alex, Megan, Nick and Tommy Linz, from Anderson Township, won The Amazing Race and won a $1 million prize last month. The Linz kids surprised their parents, Tom and Terri, by giving half to them and sharing the remainder with their other three brothers, who were not on the show.

ALEX
WHY DO YOU THINK THEY PICKED YOU?

I think when you see my family together we all are usually in good spirits and always laughing with each other. We seem to get along even from a distance, and I think it's because we're always having a good time together.

WHAT WAS YOUR WORST TV MOMENT?

I really don't think there was a time when I wished they hadn't shown something. It is what it was. I don't usually carry regrets with me.

WAS IT LIFE-CHANGING?

I don't feel it was life-changing. It was life-affirming and it reaffirmed things I knew to be true, like enjoying life and meeting new people and taking advantage of opportunities.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW?

I'm working full-time at Mercy Anderson, and I will have to make some choices with my career path soon. I'm planning on going back to school for a master's degree or medical school or something in health care. I haven't pinpointed that yet. I work patient care. I do everything nurses do except I don't give drugs. I dress wounds, do EKGs, take blood pressure and temperature.

WHAT'S YOUR ADVICE TO OTHERS WHO'D LIKE TO BE ON A REALITY SHOW?

If they're trying to be on one, just be yourself and enjoy the opportunity. At least apply and have fun with it, but don't be over-hopeful. There are a lot of people that try out, and if you're not picked, it doesn't matter.

MEGAN

It's really weird: My mom and I were shopping in the airport, and the casting director approached my brothers. You could say that we look like that all-American family. Aside from that, when we sent in our video we showed we could have a good time together, and I think they wanted to show that families can get along and put aside the bickering and stress.

My worst personally was when we were doing the helicopter and I got extremely frustrated and it was due to production. Thank God they didn't show my whole tantrum because I threw quite a tantrum.

WAS IT LIFE-CHANGING?

This experience was definitely life-changing. I learned a lot about myself, and I learned I need to have more patience. I don't have a short fuse or anything, but when things don't go my way I need to sit back and say "OK, well, there's nothing I can do about it, just let it go."

WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW?

I'm working at my dad's business, Tripack. I'm taking some time off school and working for the time being. Hopefully I'll find a permanent job in event planning. I was going to school for that, and maybe this exposure will help me get my name out there.

The only advice I can give is be yourself. Show them how outgoing you are. Don't try to be somebody you're not, because it will come back.

NICK

I think my family shares a common trait in making the most of any situation. We made it clear to the casting group that we found an opportunity to travel together (as a family) through an experience that would be the "chance of a lifetime."

My personal worst moment was falling behind the Bransen team while on the golf course searching for the golf balls. Who would have thought to look in the cup? Goes to show that some of us are not prone to finding our ball there!

WAS IT LIFE-CHANGING?

The Race was something I will never forget because it was an experience that proved to me that we as a family can work together as a "team." We can accomplish many things without letting the usual family squabbles get in the way of the overall objective.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW?

Work! Work! Work! It's back to the grinding stone for me. The company I work for has recently relocated to Cincinnati and we are trying to settle into a new building and surroundings.

I have never been a big reality TV fan, but I found that The Amazing Race was an exception. This show provides the opportunity to travel to unbelievable places and see things that you would normally never have the opportunity to see in a lifetime.

TOMMY AKA "BONE"

I would have to say they picked us because we're very loud, we're outgoing and the way we interact with one another to an outsider is often funny. We always cracked up and were always smiling, so I think it was that reason.

For me, people would say me fighting in the buggy was the worst. Everybody thought it was kind of embarrassing, but I just thought it was funny. Some people might have thought if they didn't know me that it was inappropriate, but whatever.

WAS IT LIFE-CHANGING?

I wouldn't say it was life-changing, but it was definitely another chapter in part of my life. It just reassured me that me and my family and siblings are very close and we have a very good family bond.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW?

I'm back at Miami (University). I still hold my job at Skippers, where I am cook. Nothing has really changed, I'm just trying to get back to reality.

Never quit trying. If it doesn't happen once, don't give up. Just make as many tapes as you can. Make them creative and cheesy. Ours was really cheesy. And just have fun with it.

http://www.cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/COV/601250319/1076

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version