Author Topic: Beauty and the Geek recap up on the Main Page  (Read 20911 times)

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "We're just hoping work can overcome smartness."
Beauty and the Geek recap up on the Main Page
« on: June 08, 2005, 09:05:12 PM »
Another excellent episode.  I am completely hooked.  Let's all cross our fingers and hope Chuck does not get a nosebleed at the wrong time next week with Scarlet.

http://www.realityfanforum.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=308
"Gin is a morose widow. Tequila is the supple mistress with the cojones to attend the funeral. Pour me some mistress."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Beauty and the Geek recap up on the Main Page
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 09:59:00 PM »
I missed it Trevor I thought it was on at 9  :':') now I dont know if I should read the recap or wait untill tomorrow night for the repeat  (%# ?

Offline gammonwoman2

• " Will's honey woman "
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 11:55:45 PM »
i had to miss it too!! |(  gonna catch the repeat tomorrow!!! *%#  so just tell me who go the boot, trevor!!!! :<(

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 12:00:55 AM »
OH no I had a few Black Russians and went ahead and read it ..NO NO probably the most interesting team to me got the BOOT  |( Joe the sweetheart that was not afraid to admit he was a Virgin on national TV and Erika the Horny Hibbity-dibbity Ho  (%# , go figure . Funny recap thanks for making me LMAO Trevor  {l{ .

Do Chuck and Scarlet play "doctor" next week?  ^/^
I will watch the rerun and let you know what I think !

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 01:09:54 AM »
I'm hooked too, Trevor!! It's such a funny, cute, serious and educational show....a unique  change from the normal reality show!  I love it! Verrry entertaining/interesting as they all experience "how the other half lives".   They're all gonna be positively impacted as a result.  '(>
Gooo Beauts n' Geeks!!   ]#*    |#'  {l{   

(Wish Joe & uhh...sorry forgot her name...were still there!  I especially liked Joe... He was just beginning to feel more comfy in that environment.  Too bad he's gone...  }}{  )
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 01:14:49 AM by RudyRules »

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 06:54:34 AM »
That's what makes it so good.  It was brilliantly created.  Outside of Richard, I don't think anyone on the show is looking bad right now.  Most of the "geeks" seem like ordinary/alright dudes and the girls don't seem as stupid as they are being portrayed.  Right now, I'd say Krystal, Mindi, and Scarlet are looking the best in terms of how they wanted to be portrayed on the show.

The elimination round at the end is almost like a softer version of Jeopardy.  Krystal pulling "viscous" out of nowhere last night was incredible.  I had no idea as to the answer to that question
"Gin is a morose widow. Tequila is the supple mistress with the cojones to attend the funeral. Pour me some mistress."

Offline rmax

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 11:47:52 AM »
Who knew, but I love this show too! 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
WB's Beauty and Geek Defy Labels
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 11:55:27 AM »

Good article , it looks like we are not the only peeps watching this show , nice to see its getting recognized  . Cute & adorable .........I'm going to miss these two, especially Joe .

WB's Beauty and Geek Defy Labels
by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

Joe and Erika

After just two episodes of Beauty and the Geek, the ladies of TVGuide.com developed a crush on Joe Hanson, the virginal 21-year-old "geek" from Chicago. Watching Joe's partner, Erika Rumsey — she's the 22-year-old "life-size Barbie model" — fall for computer whiz Brad made us believe Ashton Kutcher's so-called social experiment was actually working. Alas, after Joe was stumped on the subjects of loofahs and reflexology in last week's massage-themed elimination quiz, the two blond cuties were sent packing. Before another duo is axed in tonight's episode (8 pm/ET on WB), we connect with Joe and Erika for a post-Geek debriefing.

TVGuide.com: What did you expect when you signed up for this show?
Erika Rumsey: I thought that we were going to get hooked up with some hot guys. All of the girls were told that it was a dating thing.
Joe Hanson: I thought it was going to be a dating show. On campus at the University of Chicago, they had put up flyers that said "Reality Game Show." After going to the audition, I realized that it was more focused on relationships. When I actually got there, it turned out to be something much different.

TVG: What was your reaction to learning what Geek was really about?
Erika: It was a relief because I'd packed all these cute sexy clothes and a sleazy pair of false eyelashes. was ready to be looking hot for some guy, and then I was like, "Wow, I get to be myself!"

TVG: Were you offended by the ditzy "beauty" and socially inept "geek" labels? Off screen, you both seem pretty well-rounded.

Joe: I don't really know what the definition of geeky is, unless it's being smart. [The fact] that I'm really smart and kind of fidgety and socially awkward is what got me on the show. There are people at the University of Chicago who are a lot more nerdy than me; there are a bunch of Richards there.
Erika: I was offended at first because I went to college. I have my degrees; I'm not a bimbo. But then, look at Brad. He's not a geek. They just had a wide variety of beauties and a wide variety of geeks. Brad was offended when he heard he was a geek, but he's not. He's smart, but he's not a bad-looking guy, and that made me feel better, too. If you watch the show, you realize that I have my moments, but I'm not always air-headed.

TVG: Erika, have you kept in touch with Brad?

Erika: We're not allowed to yet. But as soon as we are able to, I'm really excited to talk to him again.

TVG: Joe, you looked really hurt when Erika and Brad hooked up in the first episode.
Joe: It's not a dating show, but you still always think, "Hey, I could probably hook up with my teammate. We're sleeping in the same room...." But leading up to the second episode, I started hanging out with some of the other girls. When Erika and Brad were hanging out, I wasn't crying in my room. I was hanging out in the hot tub, free-styling. I was doing fine. I got to be pretty good friends with some of the girls. At the end of the second episode, after I blow it and lose it, Erika comes in and runs up to Brad, but then Krystal comes up to me and she's like, "Oh, Bino White." Bino White is my rap name, so that was a little reference to all the socializing we did.
Erika: I didn't think he actually liked me like that, and I didn't pick him as my partner because I was attracted to him or thought we were compatible like that. We just made a great team. Everybody gave me so much crap for [hurting Joe's feelings], but I didn't know.

TVG: Have you changed your views on the opposite sex since the show?
Erika: I always liked smart guys, but it's hard to find smart and cute guys. When you get out of college, it's hard to meet people. You start talking to guys at the bar based on whether they're cute. So after this, now I just want a smart guy. Obviously, it helps if they are good-looking, and I think Brad is good-looking and smart; he's just the whole package. I don't think I'll ever date a good-looking idiotic boy again. My first serious boyfriend was so cute, until he opened his mouth — and then it was like, "OK, honey, just stand there and look pretty and don't talk."
Joe: After the show ended, I felt a little bit more confident talking to girls at parties and stuff. That's the biggest thing I took away from it. I would love to say that I'm this huge pimp now and have all these girls lined up, but you know I don't. I've been on a couple of dates and nothing really came of them. I'll go on some more in the summer.

TVG: Well, have you used your new massage skills, Joe?
Joe: People were like, "I heard there was a massage portion that's going to be on the next episode." I said, "Well, I can't give you any [massages] due to my confidentiality agreement."

TVG: Erika, what exactly is a "life-size Barbie model," and how did you become one?

Erika: My very first modeling job when I was 14 was [appearing as] Arizona Teen Barbie at JC Penney. Basically, I was a mannequin for four hours and had to stand still, dressed like Barbie. From then on, Mattel hired me to go to Toys 'R Us and Wal-Mart, and I'd sign autographs for kids and paint their nails and hand out balloons.

TVG: What are you two doing now?
Erika: Back in Iowa, I work with my mom selling commercial office furniture. That's not what I want to be doing for the rest of my life at all. Now I'm in L.A. trying to pursue an acting career or broadcasting or just anything that puts me in the spotlight.
Joe: I just graduated from U of C, and I have two jobs over the summer: [A] corporate affairs internship, and on the side, I'm commissioned to make movies for Current TV, the network being started up by Al Gore. My short film, "Joe Gets Dominated," is on the Current TV website.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/

Offline rmax

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 12:02:38 PM »
Here are links to Current TV and Joe's Blog (from Current TV)

http://www.current.tv/

http://joehanson.blogspot.com/

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 02:01:35 PM »
Thanks for the links rmax  ]**] , maybe Trevor can get a one on one interview with JOE  {| ?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Preview
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 02:29:11 PM »
Beauty and the Geek 
Preview a scene from Wednesday's new episode of 'Beauty and the Geek,' as coupled-up babes and brains compete for a big cash prize -- and learn to appreciate each other's talents along the way.

This week: The women learn how to build a rocket, and the men buy outfits for the women; one contestant goes to great lengths to form an alliance.

Watch the clip:
 'You're a Zero?' - When the geeks are challenged to buy their beauties clothing, some get the swimsuit size all wrong. 

Link~
http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/beautyandthegeek.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 03:03:04 PM »
*spoiler alert *

3 # Don't look if you don't want to know

2#

1#

Just received my new TV Guide for next week June 19th/25th hardcopy ~
From Geek to Gorgeous
The Geeks get a makeover
Most Dramatic Makeover Ceremony yet !
Featured Makeover ,  Bill , so this should mean that Bill & Lauren are safe from being voted out tonight .

Offline rmax

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 10:08:07 AM »
'You're a Zero?'
That was so funny!  I always felt the same way about women's clothes size.  How can there be a zero?   As Richard said, it's like you don't exist.  Blame the fashion industry, I guess.

Reminds me, Richard was funny when he was describing Mindi to the saleswoman.  "She's just like me, only pointier in places" (or something like that).

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 09:48:38 PM »
Richard was funny when he was describing Mindi to the saleswoman.  "She's just like me, only pointier in places" (or something like that).
LOL! yeah, that cracked me up too!  Richard's the geekiest one of all...but still funny at times!  {l{
Sad when Joe/Erika were eliminated.  :':')   
Thanks for the blog links, rmax.  Good read...

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 10:46:47 PM »
Where's the recap Trevor   :<(  ? I can't beleive that Bill & Lauren are gone   :':') , I love all the teams and hate to see any of them eliminated   :sad: . Also I thought  Bill looked so handsome  =]/  I am looking forward to the recap .

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 03:03:24 PM »
Here is the recap.  I had a busy night and couldn't write it up.  Great episode.  This show might be the most fun reality TV viewing experience I have had in a little bit.

http://www.realityfanforum.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=321

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 05:54:19 PM »
  Finally, Richard was able to land a date with Lauren as her contract with UPN would not allow her to shoot Richard down
  ((^

Your really funny Trevor , thanks for the recap it made me LMAO

I'll leave you with this ...

"Howdy-doo, Chuck-A-Roo!"   :<(

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Dissed Beauty and Geek Fire Back!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 11:07:09 AM »
Dissed Beauty and Geek Fire Back!
by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

Brad and Krystal

The whole premise of Ashton Kutcher's Wednesday night "social experiment," Beauty and the Geek, was that awkward nerds would learn how to mingle with the gorgeous airheads who once shunned them. And the gorgeous ladies would, well, learn. So where did that leave a looker like Brad Hooker, the Mensa member from Mississippi who sneakily hooked up with Barbie model Erika? And is his Beauty partner Krystal Tini — who once thought North Carolina was north of South Dakota — just a shallow Philadelphia Sixers dancer? Before another duo is booted tonight (9 pm/ET on WB), TVGuide.com rang up Brad and Krystal for some Geeky gossip.

TVGuide.com: What did you expect when you signed up for this?
Krystal Tini: I really didn't know what it was about.
Brad Hooker: My mom, my sister and my friends were determined that I was going to do it because they wanted to see me on TV. [The casting people] told me it was going to be an academic competition of some kind. They didn't mention anything about the opposite sex.

TVG: How did you feel about the real premise?
Brad: I didn't see the other guys until the day we started shooting. When I saw them... I thought [the show] was going to humiliate people or something like that, but it obviously turned out being completely different.

TVG: Were you put off by the way Beauty and the Geek labeled you?
Krystal: Yeah, I was. I was just in In Touch magazine last week and it said "lacks brains" or something like that. It doesn't really bother me that much because I know I'm not dumb or anything, but that's how we were portrayed on the show.
Brad: I can't say I was too pleased about it. I never thought of myself [as a "geek"]. I honestly thought they used that word because it fit nicely into the title. Sure, I read a lot and enjoy school. My social life has come close to nonexistent these days. There are geekish tendencies, to be sure.

TVG: Did living in the house change your perceptions of beauties and geeks?
Krystal: I really had a connection with those guys. Richard made me pee my pants every single day. He was hilarious... I knew some of the other girls on the show would be like, "Oh, my god, he's such a dork." I just love people for who they are, so I couldn't say that I am any different than how I was when I went into the house.
Brad: I don't buy into the idea that beauty and intelligence have to be mutually exclusive qualities. I always thought they could exist in one person. My views changed about those girls in particular once I got to know them.

TVG: That first trivia quiz was pretty revealing, though.
Brad: I don't know, just talking to Krystal, she didn't know which was further south, North Carolina or South Dakota. To her, something like that was just irrelevant. It's not like she's too stupid to know it; she just doesn't care. It's something that she could learn. It has no bearing on her life. She's not dumb. I spent a lot of time with this girl and she's got common sense, a good bit of it.

TVG: Krystal, did you know what was happening between Brad and Erika?
Krystal: I didn't. The first night she came in my room, I had no idea what was going on, and then I obviously knew they were in bed together... It was kind of weird. Not that it bothered me, but I thought that maybe she should have asked me if it was OK, because he was my teammate. I wouldn't approach the other guys without saying anything to their partner. I wasn't jealous or anything. Brad and I had a brother-sister relationship; we got along really well.

TVG: Brad, do you plan on seeing Erika again?
Brad: I certainly hope so. We're going to be several hundred miles apart. I still talk to her regularly, and we're trying to make plans so we can see each other. She's a really cool girl. Honestly, from the way they described the girls, I didn't expect to be able to hold a conversation with them. But Erika was surprisingly intelligent. She doesn't fit the stereotype they were trying to create about the beauties.

TVG: Do you think the skills you two learned on the show will come in handy in real life?
Krystal: Changing a tire and all that stuff... so many of my friends have no clue how to do anything like that. I really did learn a lot; I was really surprised. Like rocket science — I was actually studying! I haven't studied in so long. It was pretty cool.
Brad: I highly doubt it. Massage, maybe.

TVG: You won't be buying clothing for a girlfriend any time soon?
Brad: I'll outsource that.

TVG: Why were you guys chosen twice in a row for elimination?
Brad: Their reasons were very valid. We had the least to gain from the experience. For guys, it was supposed to build self-confidence, and confidence has never been a problem for me. All the rest of the guys would benefit more. I don't mean that as derogatory.

TVG: Krystal, how did you end up kissing Richard at the end?
Krystal: I was saying goodbye to Mindi and Richard, and then he said, "Oh, what the hell!" And he grabbed my face and kissed me. I was so surprised. I was glad that he did it, because he actually got the guts to do it, and I don't think he ever would have if he wasn't on the show. I was very proud of him for that. That [kiss was] all I heard about this weekend, everywhere I went.

TVG: So what's next for you two? Will you try to go the reality-to-showbiz route?
Krystal: Hopefully. That's what I've always wanted to do. I've been with the Sixers for five years. Right now, I'm just relaxing in my Jersey shore house, and I have Sixers auditions this weekend.
Brad: The plan is to go to Georgia Tech [in August for my MBA] and become indoctrinated in the ways of corporate America. I don't know if I could exist in Los Angeles for very long. I think I would implode. There's too much celebrity worship, which is a side of American culture that I've ignored for most of my life, so when I was there, it was culture shock. It was like being in a different country.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/050622a.asp

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 11:18:20 AM »
Thanks Puddin!!!  You know Chuck was boiling inside when Richard said that!

TV Guide is really covering the show and I saw that they are having auditions for a second season.  I think this show is bringing UPN more ratings than they ever thought it would.  I wouldn't be shocked if they try to rush another installment onto the air. 

My only problem with the show is that I think Richard might be an actor.  I got a great e-mail about this which we will talk about on RFF Radio, but a reader really broke down they way Richard acts and linked it to other Geeky television characters. 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 01:55:53 PM »
I've met alot of people in my life and never ever, luckily , encountered a human being ( is he human) that would act like Richard acts . I really think I've seen him before ?? An actor ? Richard just maybe ..could be we saw him in JackASS ?
Cool that its  been picked up for another season , I hope they dont ruin it   *%# , very entertaining indeed .

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 10:16:05 PM »
 {**}  Definitely a B n' G TWO!
 Good Deal!  __*^