Author Topic: The Amazingly Rigged Amazing Race  (Read 32633 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Amazingly Rigged Amazing Race
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 04:41:26 PM »
Cant get enough  {l{ ..did anyone see Rob & Amber on Leno last night ? Too Cute ..he's still going on about the AA dealio doors opening for U&J but all and all he is happy that U&J were the ones that won the money  :)
 Also they wont say but they have something in the works for TV ..Amber said there was alot of interest from the fans so why not  |#' .
Now I read something at E network weeks ago about Romber having something in the works for TV but wasn't sure if it was gossip or rumors .

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2005, 05:00:28 PM »
'The Amazing Race 7' runner-up Rob Mariano continues to fuel final flight conspiracy rumors

By Steve Rogers, 05/20/2005

More than a week has passed since the broadcast of CBS's The Amazing Race 7 finale, however thanks to the ongoing efforts of bitter runner-up Rob Mariano, a small cloud of doubt continues to linger around winning couple Uchenna and Joyce Agu's victory.
Sly as always, Rob (never one to shy away from playing loose with the truth) had used his media appearances to insinuate that there was something less than above board in the winning couple's ability to get onto the Miami-bound American Airlines flight that allowed them to go head-to-head with Rob and new wife Amber Brkich in the competition's final tasks. However if one chooses to believe the words of Uchenna and Joyce, there was indeed something below board about how the couple came about getting on the plane -- only it was Rob himself who attempted to commit the below board behavior.

Seemingly unable to come to grips with the fact that a team other than his own might possibly have something go their way in the game and not mentioning any role that he might have had in the event, Rob has used the past week and a half to snarky imply -- without actually saying so -- that Uchenna and Joyce's ability to get on the flight was somehow fixed by show producers seeking to ensure a down-to-the-wire finish that would have not otherwise occurred had he and Amber managed to be the only The Amazing Race team on the earlier Miami-bound flight.

Rob began his "left unspoken" campaign on last Thursday's Live with Regis & Kelly show, where he responded with an "America can judge" comment after host Regis Philbin asked him whether he felt there had been a "plot" to help Uchenna and Joyce win the program's $1,000,000 grand prize.

"When was the last time you ever have seen them close the door of a plane and then turn around and open it after they pulled the jetway away," Mariano later stated -- while conveniently ignoring the fact that his own team was the recipient of a similar late boarding scenario during The Amazing Race 7's Argentinean visit that aired in the show's fourth episode.

While Rob and Amber's late boarding didn't involve the partial retraction of a jetway, that's because there was no jetway at the airport in question (instead the passengers had to walk onto the tarmac and up a mobile stairway in order to board the plane) -- with Rob even gushing to the camera that "these very nice people are going to hold the flight for us."

Not to be left out, Amber also piped in with some Live comments of her own, exclaiming "That pilot owes us a lot of money!"

CBS was quick to denounce the implications of the couple's comments, with a network spokesperson telling the New York Post that "You've seen them on Survivor and The Race, Rob says everything with a grin. But such characterizations, even in jest, are completely without foundation."

"Reality series are always breeding grounds for conspiracy theories," the CBS spokesperson added. "Only an understanding gate agent and the goodwill of the pilot returned the jetway back to the plane. Uchenna and Joyce treated everyone with kindness and respect throughout race, and that karma was returned at a crucial moment."

A FAA spokesman also confirmed that there were no procedural violations in the airline's actions, telling the Post that "It's the pilot's call, Under these circumstances "it's perfectly fine for the captain to [have] returned to the gate to pick up the couple."

Not willing to let the issue go, Rob continued his one-man conspiracy campaign later in the week. In an interview published on Monday, Rob was bolder in his comments, telling TVGuide.com that "we'll leave that up to the viewers to decide." "It was a bit sketchy to me. I don't know the last time you saw anyone re-open a plane door for somebody. And it wouldn't have been too dramatic if only one team was running to the finish line."

Still not done rumormongering, Rob was back on his unstated conspiracy horse again last night, once again alluding to improper behavior during a Thursday night appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno that was intended to promote next week's CBS broadcast of the couple's Rob And Amber Get Married wedding special.
"It's still a tough subject Jay," Rob replied after Jay asked about the fateful plane flight. Talking about Uchenna and Joyce's boarding, he said "I've talked to the people at American Airlines already and they say they've never seen it done." "I'm not saying anything Jay, America can decide."

Showing some sportsmanship, Rob did later note that "We did have a wonderful time and if any other team could have won the million dollars we're very happy it was Uchenna and Joyce, they deserved it and they're a great couple."

As far Uchenna and Joyce, they claim that there is a simple explanation for the airline employees' unusual willingness to help them -- that it was because they had only originally booked tickets on the later Miami flight because the American Airlines agent who had sold them their tickets had, at Rob's request, lied and not told them about the earlier flight.

In an interview with Edmonton's 96X BJ & Shannon X-perience radio show, Uchenna and Joyce explained their side of the story -- and also noted Rob and Amber's previous ability to accomplish a similar late boarding.

Responding to Rob's open question, Joyce told the station "'Have you ever seen it' -- yes, we saw it in South America when they reopened the doors to let Rob and Amber on the plane." "That happened twice in one show -- a miracle -- and you know it's really strange... it's a scandal now that it happened to us and all along the way Rob and Amber got help from everybody," she added.

Uchenna also explained the background behind why the couple was able to board the flight -- with Joyce also stating that despite what some conspiracy theorists have implied, rather than the producers using the assistance of the show's American Airlines sponsor to ensure that two teams were still racing along side each other in the competition's final Miami tasks, the murky editing of the event was instead the result of the producers' attempt to save their sponsor some embarrassment and bad publicity.

"What actually happened was, if you notice when we first got to that airport we were behind Rob and Amber. He told that ticket agent not to tell us about that flight," Uchenna told the radio show. "So when we get to the gate guess who was standing at the door -- that same ticket agent who had lied to us and told us there was no flight!"

"They didn't air that I yelled out at the top of my lungs 'You lied to us!' so she was the one who was compelled to call the pilot because, there's cameras everywhere, she's standing there just having lied to me telling me that there was no flight."

"If anything, the show saves American Airlines a little bit of face," Uchenna explained. "[Otherwise] it looks like 'American Airlines lied to its passengers,'" added Joyce.

Lastly, for those viewers hoping that Tuesday's CBS wedding broadcast might mark the last time that "Boston Rob" and his "smokin'" wife appear on their television screens, Rob and Amber have bad news. Disputing Jay's comment that their television time was coming to an end, Amber hinted otherwise, telling the late night host "that's not true Jay, actually we do have some other things in the works."

Pressed by Jay for more information, Rob gave a quick "We can't talk about it Jay" response, with Amber providing no additional details but also stating that "people seem to be interested, so as long as its fun we're going to keep on going with it." Pray that a "couples edition" isn't the twist for CBS's upcoming sixth Big Brother edition folks.

Article link~

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3519

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 05:19:16 PM »
The New York Post article~

ROBBED?

May 13, 2005 -- ADD Rob and Amber to the growing list of peo ple who wonder if the finale to the "Amazing Race 7" was fixed.
CBS' popular around-the-world race's runners-up, Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich, suggested yesterday that the down-to-the wire finish of the show was a setup.

"I'm not saying anything," Mariano grinned on yesterday's edition of "Live with Regis & Kelly" when Regis Philbin asked him if he thought there had been a "plot" to help the eventual $1 million winners, Uchenna and Joyce Agu, take the top prize.

"America can judge," Mariano laughed.

The move that has everybody wondering came about 20 minutes before the end of the finale, when Rob and Amber squeezed onto an American Airlines flight from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Miami.

Moments after the door to the aircraft had been sealed and the Jetway pulled away, Uchenna and Joyce begged to be let on the flight. The airline official at the gate called the pilot, who agreed to open the door and allow them onto the plane.

"When was the last time you ever have seen them close the door of a plane and then turn around and open it after they pulled the Jetway away?" Mariano asked yesterday.

"That pilot owes us a lot of money," Amber said.

"You've seen them on 'Survivor' and 'The Race,' " a CBS spokesman says. "Rob says everything with a grin. But such characterizations, even in jest, are completely without foundation."

Further fueling the conspiracy theory is the fact the American Airlines was a major sponsor of "Race." Internet buzz speculated yesterday that producers asked the airline to open the door so that the dash to the finish line of the 40,000-mile race would be more dramatic.

"Reality series are always breeding grounds for conspiracy theories," says the CBS spokesman. "Only an understanding gate agent and the goodwill of the pilot returned the Jetway back to the plane. Uchenna and Joyce treated everyone with kindness and respect thoughout race, and that karma was returned at a crucial moment."

Insiders say that the pilot "felt bad" for Uchenna and Joyce when he was told they were at the gate with a TV camera crew and begging to be let on the flight.

A Federal Aviation Administration official told The Post yesterday it is the pilot's decision to open the door after it's been sealed.

"It's the pilot's call," the FAA spokesman said. Under these circumstances "it's perfectly fine for the captain to [have] returned to the gate to pick up the couple."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05132005/entertainment/43889.htm

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »
I'm the luckiest girl in the world
Scott Tady, Times Staff
05/22/2005

CBS won't let Amber Brkich talk publicly about her April 16 wedding until after the Tuesday night broadcast of "Rob and Amber Get Married."

But the Brighton Township woman is free to discuss her other recent reality show adventures, including her and husband Rob Mariano's controversial second-place finish in CBS's "The Amazing Race."

In an e-mail Q&A with The Times, here's what Brkich, 26, had to say about her image as an "Amazing Race" villain, her life with Mariano in Florida and her advice for Beaver County's latest "Survivor" star, Ian Rosenberger.

Q: You truly took part in an amazing race around the world. What was the most incredible moment of your journey?

A: For me, it was Africa. I loved going to Botswana and seeing all of the animals. I'm used to saying 'Watch out for the deer!' but never 'Watch out for the giraffe!' Rob's favorite was driving through the Andes Mountains. It took us several hours and was a beautiful drive.

Advertisement

Q: What was the toughest part of the race?

A: Sleep deprivation. You race for three or four days at a time and when you get to the Pit Stop, you have to do routine check-ins, interviews, eat and shower. By that time, six of the 12 hours is gone.

Q: You and Rob obviously played hard to win. Now that you've had time to reflect, how does it feel to have come so close, only to finish in second place?

A: It's horrible! Especially because we had it in the bag. Thanks to American Airlines and whoever that pilot was ... well, put it this way, they owe us a million bucks.

Q: We're hearing conspiracy theories suggesting that "Amazing Race" winners Uchenna and Joyce were allowed to board that American Airlines flight just to keep the race close. Do you think "Amazing Race" officials conspired to help Uchenna and Joyce to keep the race close?

A: Well, I won't say much, but I guess it wouldn't have been all that exciting for the final 20 minutes of the show without two teams racing to the end.

Q: You've always been a big "Amazing Race" fan. Now that you've appeared on that show and on "Survivor," how would you compare the two shows?

A: It's like comparing apples and oranges. On "Survivor," it's an individual game, even though Rob and I pretty much re-invented that and made it a partner game. You are forced to interact with the other players. You're secluded from the real world. You have days to make decisions. You're never rushed unless in a challenge. On "Amazing Race" it's a partner game. You basically never see the other teams. You're thrown into the real world but in different countries so it's totally different than what you're used to. You have seconds to make decisions. You're always rushed. You're always stressed.

Sleep deprivation they have in common. On "Survivor" you can't sleep because the bugs are eating you alive all through the night while you're trying to act like it's comfortable to sleep on logs. On "The Amazing Race" you only get four to five hours of rest every three to four days. I lost weight on both. On "Survivor" I lost a lot more, but on the race you don't eat much because you don't want to spend your money on food.

Q: Which show was more fun?

A: Once again, two totally different types of fun. I loved them both.

Q: In which show was the competition more challenging?

A: Neither. We dominated both shows!

Q: If given a choice, which of those two shows would you do again and why?

A: I'd do "Amazing Race" again in a second. "Survivor" is pointless for me to do again. I've already gotten everything and more that I could possibly ever get out of it. I won, I fell in love, got engaged. Doing it again would be a letdown in comparison. Plus, I'd be the first person they'd want to vote out. On the race, they can't vote you out!

Q: A few of your "Amazing Race" opponents were very critical of the way you and Rob played the game. Others picked up on that, including the Chicago Tribune, which called you and Rob "Millionaire Meanies," and the New York Times, which called you "reality TV's perfect villains." Are you worried about how your image has been affected by "The Amazing Race"?

A: Not at all. I'm not on these shows to "be on TV." I go on these shows to try to win a million bucks while having an amazing experience. It's not summer camp. You're not going to meet friends. You're going to win a million bucks. Rob explained it well when he said, "In poker, you don't give people money so they can stay in the game."

Q: You previously have said you would love to be a TV talk show hostess, a la Kelly Ripa. Do you worry that the way "Amazing Race" portrayed you might make such a career transition difficult? For instance, look at "The View's" Elisabeth Hasselbeck, your former "Survivor" tribemate, whose image is sugary sweet.

A: There may be some people who don't like me, but there are many who do.

Q: OK, some fun questions. What was the inspiration for your red shirt with the big white "@" for Amber you wore throughout "The Amazing Race"?

A: Yeah, "A" for Amber. It was an old shirt that I got at Wal-Mart or something. I can't believe how many people wrote me about that shirt. I had no idea it would be so popular. I guess it was a good choice.

Q: Did it surprise you that people in Peru, South Africa and other faraway "Amazing Race" destinations recognized you?

A: It was completely surprising to be recognized. We really only got recognized in those two countries, in which we placed third and fifth. People keep saying we had an unfair advantage because we were recognized. Every other country we found those people who helped us. It had nothing to do with our "celebrity status." It's stupid that the other teams didn't catch on and do the same thing.

Q: Did you and Rob learn anything about yourselves or your relationship while running around five continents?

A: It just reconfirmed everything we already knew. We work so well together as a team. We know how to compromise, and we love adventure. We had a blast and loved running the race together.

Q: Is the Rob we see on TV like the Rob you see at home?

A: Yes and no. Rob is who you see and so much more. He's the most generous, protective, loving, sensitive, strong, smart, creative, funny, silly partner anyone could have. I'm so lucky to have him as my husband.

Q: How are you enjoying living in Florida?

A: Florida is warm and sunny. Need I say more?

Q: Besides your family and friends, do you miss anything specific about Beaver County?

A: Of course. It's home to me and always will be. There are so many memories at home that will always be special to me. I could definitely go for some Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe right now. Some Ray's BBQ would be awesome, too. I miss the familiarity of everything, too. I'm slowly learning my way around down here. I miss playing with my niece, Emma, too. I miss going to church with my family and then going down to Thursday's afterward for dinner.

Q: After Tuesday's televised wedding, what's next for Rob and Amber?

A: Who knows? There are lots of conversations going on right now that I can't say much about. But besides that, Rob and I are just really looking forward to married life and making a home together.

Q: Jessica Simpson and Nick have their own reality show. Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne had a reality show. That tattooed guy from Blink 182 and his wife have a reality show. What would it take for you and Rob to agree to have a camera crew follow you around during your day-to-day married lives for a new reality show?

A: It would be an extremely tough decision. You'll just have to wait and see.

Q: Anything else you'd like to say about "Amazing Race," "Survivor," your televised wedding or life in general?

A: I love my life. I'm the luckiest girl in the world. I don't take it for granted.

Q: Finally, what advice would you give Economy resident Ian Rosenberger, now that his post-"Survivor" life has begun?

A: Have a blast with life. Make the most of whatever comes at you, but always remember who you are and where you came from. Stay close with those you were close with before "Survivor." They loved you then and love you now. And that is priceless.

Scott Tady can be reached online at stady@timesonline.com.
http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14569813&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2005, 01:27:05 PM »
Not that it matters but my Yahoo TAR group is discussing an article that was in TV Guide , it seems that Joyce is an actress , she had parts in Silk Stalkings as well as StarTrek the Next Generation ,
Why didn't she tell Race Producers ?

Joyces reply  "I didn't want to be known as 'the actress' on the show ."

Offline Bluetickmaggie

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 03:33:57 PM »
Well So was Chip, he was an actor.  You know how long ago Silk Stalkings, Star Trek the Next Generation aired. It has been along time since she has been an actress because she got a Coporate Job but unfortunatly got let go from.  The Producers know about these things, because they have background checks and other stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if (like all articles with interviews from people) this quote was taken out of context.   

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2005, 02:41:40 AM »
Thanks Puddin for posting all the articles, it took me awhile to get through them.  It just shows I should come on the board more often but I don't know where my time goes every evening.   

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2005, 12:43:09 PM »
Shouts out to Bathfizzy  ]**]