Author Topic: The Amazingly Rigged Amazing Race  (Read 33038 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
The Amazingly Rigged Amazing Race
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:37:43 PM »
May 16, 2005
The Amazingly Rigged Amazing Race
The Amazing Race 7 is now the latest reality TV show to come under fire from fans making accusations of the outcome being rigged.  Most of the controversy stems from an American Airlines plane being re-opened for Uchenna and Joyce.  When Uchenna and Joyce initially approached an American Airlines agent about getting on the plane, they were told quite clearly “No, I’m sorry. It’s closed.”

Then, there was a commercial break.  Somehow during the commercial break, American Airlines agents went from “No, I’m sorry. It’s closed.” to “The Pilot said yes.”  Next thing you know, the agent that had walked away from Uchenna and Joyce is now suddenly taking their ticket with a big smile on her face.  Viewers have been left wondering about what transpired to make American Airlines agents so quickly change their attitude. 

There seemed to be a gap in the segment that possibly would have explained how Uchenna and Joyce were able to pull off this miraculous feat.  Did anyone else talk to American Airlines on behalf of Uchenna and Joyce?  What did the ticket agent say to the pilot to get the plane re-opened?

A report on RealityBlurred.com   draws attention to a recent TV Guide interview.     In the interview, Uchenna says that she yelled at the ticket agent in order to get her to call the pilot but it wasn’t aired on the show.  Of course, this statement only raises the question of have you ever known a reality TV show to not air any yelling confrontations?  Especially one that greatly impacts the outcome of the show. 

If Uchenna and Joyce had not made it onto that plane, then Rob and Amber would almost certainly have coasted to victory.  CBS would not have had a dramatic, nail-biting finish to the Amazing Race 7.  Amazing Race has often been held up an example of quality reality TV programming but outstanding questions over the plane incident could tarnish its image.  Hopefully, some day CBS will release the unaired footage that will show how Uchenna and Joyce were able to get the plane re-opened.

Posted by Joe Reality
http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2005/05/the_amazingly_r.html

Offline tanbuns

• Puddin's Boy Toy
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Birthday Jesus
Re: The Amazingly Rigged Amazing Race
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 12:33:16 AM »
I was amazed that they re-opened the plane after it had been closed ..... especially in this post 9/11 era that we live in. But even if the cBS muckety-mucks did somehow get Uchenna and Joyce on that plane, it still did not assure them a victory. It was only to make the race to the finish line more exciting. Uchenna and Joyce did the rest on their own.

Plus, in my eyes it sort of made up for having a freaking non-elimination leg on the next to last leg. That was stupid in my opinion, because it caused Uchenna and Joyce to have to beg for money at the start of the race, assuring that they would get off to a very slow start!!!  }}

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 02:08:06 AM »
I was surprised that the plane was re-opened for Uchenna and Joyce also.  All I can think of is, the flight attendant called the pilot and said that they have to let this couple on the plane as it would make the "travel documentary" more interesting.  I think U/J and the tv camera crew probably told them that they were part of the Amazing Race and they were heading to the finish line and they had to get on tht plane and if they got on, they would give that flight attendant air time, so freshen up your makeup and smile and you will get your 15 seconds of fame. ^/^

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "We're just hoping work can overcome smartness."
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 08:17:26 AM »
I thought there was something to it as well.  I wrote in my reflections column that I thought the re-opening of the plane smelled like CBS attempting to ensure a dramatic finish.

They way you have to look at it, is like it is a bad call at the end of a hoops game which forces overtime.  Sure, the game probably shouldn't have gone that far.  But both teams still have a shot of winning.  While a big break went against Rob & Amber they still had every opportunity to still win that race when they touched down in Miami.   
"Gin is a morose widow. Tequila is the supple mistress with the cojones to attend the funeral. Pour me some mistress."

Offline Bluetickmaggie

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 09:57:56 AM »
I don't think it was rigged at all because BVM and Elisa love their show to much to risk it.  If they rigged it I don't think they would show the plane thing.  I think it just happened and that the editors poorly edited it.  There seemed to be alot of that was cut. 

Offline floridagirl

• RFF Jr. Member
  • ROMBER ROCKS
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 10:16:58 AM »
I thought was rigged.  post 911 there is no way the plane doors are opening.  I live in Florida and had a friend that had the same flight from Jamaica to Miami but in March.  I was told that security was more strict when she flew.
Life is a reality show.

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 10:38:34 AM »
Lets not forget the stories that came out, that when Romber was lost, the producers took them to the mat, and put them in first place!!!

Rob

Offline floridagirl

• RFF Jr. Member
  • ROMBER ROCKS
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 11:18:18 AM »
Please elaborate.... I honestly havn't heard that story.
Life is a reality show.

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 11:25:30 AM »
I had heard this, and it was just a rumor, maybe. LOL

Rob and Amber got lost during one leg, and supposedly, the producers lead them to the pit stop! That is really all I know!

Rob

Offline coksy

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 11:31:06 AM »

A report on RealityBlurred.com   draws attention to a recent TV Guide interview.     In the interview, Uchenna says that she yelled at the ticket agent in order to get her to call the pilot but it wasn’t aired on the show.  Of course, this statement only raises the question of have you ever known a reality TV show to not air any yelling confrontations?  Especially one that greatly impacts the outcome of the show. 

If Uchenna really yelled at the ticket agent, I believe that they could have chosen not to show it because UJ were the "nice" couple left in the race and that would have destroyed that image...

And I don't believe it was rigged. It has happened to a lot of people post 9/11 to have the doors reopened.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 01:36:13 PM »
The Race is over and U&J won , the Romber haters are Happy the Romber Fans are not ..I guess it all depends on who were rooting for . Now that all is said and done we can never assume anything , point Rob and Amber would have had a good two hour lead on the other teams, there would have been no exciting race to the final Pitstop if not for " The Powers That Be " ( American Airlines is indeed a TAR Sponser ) ..however if Rob & Amber were the team that were let on the plane by "TPTB" the final result would most likely have been the same .

Article~
The Amazing Race: The Finale: The Airport Of Dreams
Last Updated: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 08:43 AM

Yes, the spectacular seventh season of The Amazing Race has ended. It was an interesting, powerful ride punctuated by high Nielsen ratings, bold strategic tricks, controversies over spoilers — one which proved wrong, one correct — crashes and injuries, interpersonal squabbling, sacrifice and stoic good will, the curious lack of extreme challenges (bungee jumps, sky diving), another humdrum Pit Stop Finale (nothing like Season One, or Two), India!, and, the most knotty flash point of them all... the querulous attitude of some teams, and some members of the viewing public, to the presence of a team consisting of Survivor: All Stars winners Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich.

By David W. Taylor (Email Me)
Reality Reel Media

The Disclaimer: I wanted Rob & Amber to win The Amazing Race 7. I know that makes me some sort of Faustian lunatic — and one of maybe three people on the planet that will freely admit to this shame — but, yes, I did. Why? Simply put, I like fierce competitors in a competitive setting. I like to see people make commitments and stick to them come hell or high water. And I don't like whiners. The team of Rob & Amber routinely exemplified fully all three of these elements; and they consistently fought tooth and nail to complete each leg in the first position. Uchenna & Joyce, and Ron & Kelly (rounding out the final three) while also competing exceedingly well, did not master the rudiments of the game as succinctly nor as wantonly.

The Rub: The fact that Rob & Amber both appeared previously on Survivor on two separate occasions and pocketed considerable amounts of money makes no impression on me other than respecting their considerable achievements. I would no longer hold their past Survivor successes against them in seeking participation on a show like The Amazing Race than I would begrudge someone like, say, Brad Pitt from acting in future motion picture projects because he's already made a few films, banked untold millions of dollars and has become a household name.

The Quarrel: Bandied about by many is the inference (okay, the stampede) that Rob & Amber didn't deserve to be on The Amazing Race in the first place, because they previously appeared on a television show. This is absurd on its face. I cannot fathom any precedent for such lunacy — banning successful people from further success? — unless it's hitched to arcane, delusional class warfare agitprop or dumbed-down Marxian ethics. If Rob & Amber should be excluded on that basis, why should any person who achieves a personal triumph be allowed to strive towards another? Much of this rancor may literally come down to base jealousy.

Just as in any competitive business environment — of which the entertainment industry is certainly a thriving member — there will be a limited number of people cast on a Reality Television show due to certain, maybe unfair, abstract variables. And among people cast, there will be a sizable majority who make their appearance and return to their previous lives without much fanfare. In a very few cases, again for reasons that may be as undefinable and nebulous as reading tea leaves in a voodoo hut, some of the participants will achieve some sort of sustainable notoriety or even, possibly, true stardom.

Certainly Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich are two people that have achieved some small sliver of celebrity. Finding themselves on the cover of a magazine in South Africa or running into passionate fans in Peru, or England, or South Africa on the Race... is certainly a stardom of some order. Having initially appeared on two separate Survivor seasons and then both being selected to appear on a season of Survivor: All Stars, and then winning this Herculean contest as an engaged couple, was a hefty accomplishment I would think few of us could quibble with (though some do).

Bottom Line?: Disliking Rob Mariano for being rapaciously hardcore in his cold-blooded calculating on Survivor (or The Amazing Race) is another issue altogether. I leave that testy subject to the likes of, well, maybe, Lynn & Alex. Or Patrick. Rob certainly is a practitioner of an old school, politically incorrect, brand of sorcery which smells more union thug than hospice social worker. This could be some of the irritation from some corners... he's a fast fading cultural remnant... the unfeminized American male.

So, Rob & Amber's decision to seek participation in The Amazing Race 7 was certainly a hopeful (and understandable, surely) scheme on their part to cart off additional cash and also to sustain their noteworthiness; their bankability. If you can blame this pair for that, you might as well condemn much of human nature and the freedom of expression in American society. Rather than mocking the pair for pursuing an expansion of their horizons — it isn't, after all, illegal to plug after success (at least not yet anyway) — for, in a glib trope, as they say to "Go for it!", I simply salute them. More power to them.

Yet, objectively, signing on to this venture was also a gamble. If Rob & Amber — these notoriously shrewd, bombastic Survivor winners! — had shared the same fate as Big Brother 4 finalist Alison Irwin, and her boyfriend Donny, did on Amazing Race 5 (getting knocked out in the second leg), then much of their luster as Reality champions would have faded. In fact, I suspect that if Rob & Amber had been eliminated in one of the early rounds, plans for their televised wedding might have been pulled.

Casting this pair was also a calculated gambit shouldered by The Amazing Race producers to gain crossover viewers from Survivor with two well known fan favorites. I can only say Thank God! Not only because of the millions of new viewers added to The Amazing Race fan base, which will only increase the likelihood of future seasons, but the additional benefit — thanks to the predatory showmanship of Rob Mariano — of widening the parameters of Amazing Race sport.

Again, there are some who take note of a ripple in the "sporting" nature of The Amazing Race now that Rob & Amber have plowed into the game... thinking this particular Reality Show should remain some sort of gentlemanly game of croquet governed by Victorian Rules of Decency which, in reality, it never has remotely been. There has always been bold deception and falsehoods. In Season One, the team consisting of Bill & Joe (Team Guido) used a hyped ruse and a luggage cart to block teams from entering an airport customs entry so they might miss a departing flight. This move turned into a frightening mess and Team Guido were a thorn despised thereafter. For all of his uncivil deception, I would propose that Rob Mariano himself would not stoop to such a crude tactic.

Another sore point among Rob & Amber detractors is the proposition that their celebrity somehow helped them attract assistance during various legs in the Race. However, while this is certainly true up to a point, as Amber pointed out on at least one occasion, this might have been as much a hindrance as a help — with people stopping you in your tracks to say hello, shake your hand or ask for an autograph, or something else distracting. And, it has to be pointed out once again: this sort of help has been sought after before, by past Race contestants without any celebrity status whatsoever — other than being followed around by a camera and a boom mike. In Season One, comical oddball frat brothers, Kevin & Drew, hooked up with some new acquaintances during an overnight in China and coaxed a local female to meet with them the next morning to help them through a Roadblock. None of the foundations of Rob's manipulations were new. He merely finessed it, flaunted it. Led with it. His influence, if it transcends past AR7 at all, can only tighten the Race and increase the fireworks. What can possibly be wrong with that?

And even with all the ill will being loosed on Rob & Amber... Hey! They didn't even win. The good guy won. Getting back at Enron won. The sacrificing gal won. Unselfishness won. Taking care of the old people won. Being honest won. Faith won. Money for In Vitro or Adoption won. Baldness won. Compassion won. The new American male won. The Good Team won.

You have to give it to Uchenna & Joyce. They stuck with it — without funds or clothes or nicknacks — until the very end; and remained the incorruptible, almost monkish new-age pair, serenely resigned to providential will and destiny. Observing Uchenna, in particular, throughout the finale was to watch a Gandhi-like figure passing through an earthly Dantesque crucible with tranquil aplomb and a pastoral sense that calmed even an increasingly jittery Joyce.

The whole spectacle at the San Juan Airport, Puerto Rico, was a creepy, skin crawling apocalyptic nightmare, that is if you were pulling for Rob & Amber (or Ron & Kelly). If Uchenna & Joyce were your team... the Airport Miracle was the Heavy Hand of God descending upon the gate agents — who had to decide to radio a ramp coordinator who had to decide to radio the cockpit — and into the mind of the American Airlines Captain who — in a highly irregular move — ultimately opted to have a gate agent reopen the jetway security door, reposition the jetway to the aircraft and reopen the aircraft door (resetting the departure time) to allow Uchenna & Joyce to continue to compete in The Amazing Race.

This does happen in regular airports, on regular commercial airlines, with regular travelers, and it is done at the Captain's sole prerogative (if you can get past the gate agents), but it isn't something that is done on a regular basis. Once that aircraft door is closed and that jetway is motored back, that's usually it. Whatever forces were put in motion to finally flip the switch that green-lighted Uchenna & Joyce's fashionably late boarding on that delayed flight to Miami, it was plainly their propitious moment in the Race. One maybe had a quick flashback to a sun-bleached Hindu Temple slab on the banks of some lake in India and Joyce kneeling down for her Hindu Good Luck Ritual head shave... it was all swirling together, like unseen angels, into a purposeful meditation redolent of some childhood fairy tale. At that moment, the spoiler rang true.

As Uchenna & Joyce walked down the aircraft aisle they passed Rob & Amber. I've never seen Rob look so bleak and dumbfounded. There were no smiles or high-fives — his game had been crushed by whimsical happenstance. He had been found out and followed. Peekaboo. The Amazing Race Finale lead of the century smashed.

In Miami, Rob & Amber left their backpacks on the plane and maniacally fought for a lead that was finally broken due to the usual mundane drip-drops of Amazing Race tragedy... taxi drivers and language. At one point, in Little Havana, Rob Mariano was utterly lost, whizzing askance in a fog in that Cuban cultural conclave. A zig-zag vein on his temple was popping out like a balloon, his eyes dazed. At one point, his taxi disappeared. He took out a necklace medal of St. Anthony from under his shirt and kissed it, pleading for heavenly assistance in finding that goddamned cigar store. But the Karma was already set. An American Airlines pilot and a Miami taxi driver had entered the lives of Uchenna & Joyce and moved them to realize their good fortune.

Amazing. At the Final Pit Stop entrance — yards to the Finish Line — Uchenna, even here, remains his Christ-like (even Zach-like) self... refusing to run to the Mat until he has paid his meter tab to his wonderful taxi driver in full. It was sublimely touching and almost too much goodness to witness. I almost expected him to walk off and volunteer at some local soup kitchen. I just wonder if Rob & Amber had REALLY been on his tail, whether he would have begun passing around the hat for his driver or would he have just grabbed Joyce and split? If Uchenna, in that instance, would've stayed and done his duty, he could've started a new religion.

Uchenna & Joyce became the symbol of everything Rob & Amber supposedly were not. It was a battle to the end of the old order and the new cultural age. Perceived lightness and Dark. My only problem with the whole thing playing out in the Finale was the short clip of Patrick, Susan's irksome gay son, standing there with the other contestants in front of the Mat and Phil, and he's gazing down a path awaiting the team who will claim the million dollar prize. His hands are clasped together, eyes ablaze, and he's chanting, "Uchenna & Joyce, Uchenna & Joyce..." This was nauseating, pandering and patronizing.

And this is besides the point of who could care a flip who this useless, whining contestant, Patrick, would want to win in the first place? Was he speaking for everyone? Phil? After calling Rob Mariano, "Dumb as a rock," in Peru, I suppose his pissy rants were suddenly credible.

This utterance signaled plainly that The Amazing Race story editors and producers had handpicked Uchenna & Joyce as the only worthy team to win the Race and made a garish attempt to shove this point across. If you had other favorites you were just wrongheaded! It was Uchenna & Joyce's sob story of corporate oppression, financial woe, and reproductive issues that had become the political force behind their exaltation to deserving beings of our collective charity. One has to wonder why, if this was the buzz, why they just weren't given one million dollars outright.

It all fit in with the Dehumanization of Rob & Amber. (I also wonder why Ron's plan to distribute his winnings to injured soldiers of the U.S. Military got such short shrift). I suppose it was a knee jerk politically correct patch job after Freddy and Kendra's win in Amazing Race 6... after all they were a pampered white couple, models!, who spoke disparagingly about third world squalor and birth rates. Oops! You don't know what it's like to be on the bad side of the Early Show's Harry Smith!

I thoroughly enjoyed this seventh season of The Amazing Race. It was sure wrapped up with a nice pretty ribbon. It's my favorite show. Yet, whatever the reasons behind this FIRST EVER team-specific rah-rah boost from the Finale sidelines, it was totally uncalled for. It had no place in a free-for-all competition. Leave that stuff for a syrupy melodramatic come-from-behind tear-jerker on Oxygen. I can figure things out myself, thank you.

http://www.realityreel.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1209&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 08:32:54 PM »
‘Amazing Race’ finale
created lots of questions
Plane, cabbie and money
are on readers’ minds
After finally begging enough money to pay their cab driver, Uchenna and Joyce Agu sprinted to the finish line, and the million-dollar prize, on "The Amazing Race."
MSNBC
Updated: 4:45 p.m. ET May 17, 2005We've received umpteen questions about "The Amazing Race" since its finale one week ago, so we're devoting this week's column to investigating your three main questions. CBS did not respond to a request for comment by press time.

We received dozens of variations on three main questions:

BACKING UP THE PLANE
"How real was it that the pilots let Uchenna and Joyce on the airplane to Miami? If they hadn't gotten on, the race would have essentially been over with Rob & Amber the winners. Did the producers have a hand in the flight being re-opened? It seems highly unlikely that that would have happened in today's security climate without outside influence."    —Billy

PAYING THE CABBIE
"Uchenna and Joyce waited to go to the mat to win so they could beg for the money they needed to make good with the cabbie for his fare.  Is it a requirement of the show that they did that or was that more of a moral choice for Uchenna?" —Becky

WHAT DO SECOND- AND THIRD-PLACE FINISHERS WIN?
"I love ‘The Amazing Race’ and have always been curious if there's any money for finishing second or third."     —Anonymous

A: The two-time Emmy-winning series “The Amazing Race” has always been popular with a core group of fans. But the show is now officially a hit, as the finale of the seventh season was watched by a record number of viewers (16.01 million).

With popularity comes scrutiny, and this season’s finale had a few moments that made some think the show didn’t play fair during its season finale. Immediately after Joyce and Uchenna Agu won the $1 million prize, conspiracy theories about the outcome began to surface.

Some theories show ignorance about the race; for example, the bridge-jumping task in San Juan was 87 miles away from the airport and closed until morning, which permitted Joyce and Uchenna to catch up. That seemed like a plot against Rob and Amber to some, but these “equalizers” have frustrated some fans since the first season. They both increase drama and make the production possible (otherwise teams could be in, say, four different countries at once).

DA PLANE, DA PLANE
The main conspiracy theory centers on the final plane ride. Rob and Amber boarded a flight in San Juan, and thought they were safe when the doors closed.  Joyce and Uchenna were close behind, but at the gate, they were denied entry. The gate agent radioed to the pilot, who decided to let the couple on the plane, creating a two-team race to the finish in Miami. Add to that the fact that American Airlines has been a sponsor of the race, and those unlikely events seem like a conspiracy to some.

Rob and Amber helped fuel these rumors. Rob told TV Guide he “was yelling and screaming at the producers on the plane” and says this “was a bit sketchy to me ... it wouldn’t have been too dramatic if only one team was running to the finish line.”

CBS, of course, says these claims “are completely without foundation.” A spokesperson told The New York Post, “Reality series are always breeding grounds for conspiracy theories. Only an understanding gate agent and the goodwill of the pilot returned the Jetway back to the plane. Uchenna and Joyce treated everyone with kindness and respect throughout race, and that karma was returned at a crucial moment.”

PAYING UP
Others accuse the show of creating drama when Joyce and Uchenna, just steps away from the finish line, had to beg for money to pay a cabbie. Although tension was definitely manufactured by the editors — ultimately, Rob and Amber checked in about 30 minutes after Joyce and Uchenna — the situation was not.

Uchenna said paying the driver “was all about honor,” but really, they had no choice. “Amazing Race” rules stipulate that teams can’t break local laws, and that would include stiffing a driver. Teams can certainly bargain — hence Joyce and Uchenna’s deal with a Jamaican cabbie who drove them around for just $40 — but they can’t walk away. And their driver wanted his money.

COMING IN SECOND
Once they were able to coax enough cash out of strangers, Joyce and Uchenna claimed the $1 million, and Rob and Amber followed them onto the mat. So what do Rob and Amber win? “Survivor” contestants are paid on a sliding scale, but “The Amazing Race” never has officially revealed what non-winning teams receive for their accomplishments.

While we don’t know for sure, the TARflies Times reports that they “have heard rumors that the second-place prize for some seasons has been $25,000 or $50,000, and third place was $10,000 or $25,000."

Even if we don’t know what their second-place prize was, Rob and Amber did quite well, racking up prizes after most of their five first-place finishes. And, of course, CBS paid for and is broadcasting their wedding on May 24. While second place probably wasn’t the outcome Rob hoped for, he and Amber are doing just fine.    —A.D.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7632857/

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 08:36:49 PM »
Readers furious about ‘Race’ finale
Many insist CBS fixed the show's endingMSNBC
Updated: 4:49 p.m. ET May 17, 2005Readers are still buzzing about “The Amazing Race” finale and its unanswered questions. Many have chosen sides: Either you’re for Rob and Amber and you think CBS fixed the race so that Joyce and Uchenna would win, or you think Rob and Amber had advantages all along and are pleased that Rob and Amber didn’t take home another million.

It’ll be interesting to see if this controversial ending taints the buzz about the Emmy-winning “Race,” long considered one of the most fair reality shows on television.

Some of your thoughts:

ROB AND AMBER ALSO HAD PLANE WAIT
“If people would think back. A pilot had done the same thing for Rob and Amber earlier in the season by reopening the gate so they could board a plane that was already closed. Rob needs to quit his crying. He cheated and manipulated his way through the whole race. At least the other teams didn't have personal escorts from each stop to take them where they needed to be to gain the advantage over everyone else. Rob is a poor sport. And his comments through the whole show about "they" already won Survivor. If I remember correctly, Amber won not him. He was a disgrace to the show and I'm sure the cause of making several people skeptical of watching. I think there would have been umpteen million questions regarding the outcome had Rob and Amber won. He's had his moment in glory, he needs to move on. What a jerk.”    --Amy

ROB AND AMBER WERE ROBBED
“I've watched all the Amazing Races and no way would anyone be allowed on the plane after they closed the gate. I really liked Joyce and Uchenna and had picked them as one of my "hope they win" teams at the beginning but Rob and Amber were obviously robbed. Which could explain why their wedding is being paid for.”    --Mark

ROB AND AMBER HAD ADVANTAGE
“When Rob and Amber was recognized at one of the country they visited, the natives made sure that they got everything they needed.  And one lady actually walked with them to the mat.  So if the pilot decided to give Uchenna and Joyce a break.  It's all in who can beg the loudest and if someone decides to give another person a break.  No one cried foul when someone else got a break.  So let's just be happy for all the winners.”    --JB

DON’T LET GROUPS CATCH UP
“Yeah, I'm a little concerned with the way the Amazing Race ended. I think Rob and Amber should have won. This turning the plane back just doesn't happen in this day in age, and the point of the Amazing Race and all the other reality shows is the strongest survive. I could care less if one team runs with all the clues and gets three days ahead, that's just the way it should be instead of letting all the groups catch up. This is a dog eat dog world. And if you're not the strongest person, then you should get out.”    --Melinda

RACIAL ISSUE?
“Why is it that since two black couples have amazingly won The Amazing Race are there suddenly questions of conspiracy? How was it fair for Rob and Amber to get so much help from natives during the race?”    --Denise

SHOW LOST A FAN
“It was incomprehensible that Uchenna & Joyce did not seek a connecting flight that might arrive earlier in London from Istanbul, when they lead the pack by doing just that the leg before. … That and the completely unfair inclusion of "celebrities" Rob & Amber, who were escorted through several tasks by admirers, have lead me to conclude that there is NO "reality" only packaged entertainment in this genre.  I also found it odd that the boyfriends twice got the only cab drivers that could not get them to their destination properly--maybe they were being deliberately dumped? I stopped watching when the planes left Istanbul and will probably not watch the series again.”    --Ron

PLANES DO WAIT
“I would like to know why people do not question all of the special treatment Rob and Amber got during the entire season?  Why has this just come up with Joyce and Uchenna?  I have traveled extensively for business and have had an airline have a plane wait for me.  People need to get over it!”    --Mardi

GET OVER IT
“This whole conspiracy theory wouldn’t even be there if Rob and Amber  won....if the plane had opened for them do you think Rob and Amber would be playing the karma card....Rob is just bitter he didn’t win...if they did due to the plane opening for him, he wouldn’t care in the least about a conspiracy...Rob..dude...you got CBS's money for 2nd place, you got Amber's money from Survivor, and they are paying you for your wedding...get over it!”    --Kim
NO TICKETS?
“My question is a follow-up to the plane backing up for Joyce & Uchenna — not only did that happen but they also boarded the plane without tickets — Rob & Amber got stand-by tickets at the ticket counter and Joyce & Uchenna did not. They were told the plane was closed and they ran to the gate with only tickets for the later flight.   In this day no one would ever be allowed to board a plane without a ticket.  How can the network explain that one?”

CONSPIRACY THEORY
“I think the race was fixed to pander to the ratings game. I do not care what the CBS producers say or deny, this fix is similar to the quiz show scandals of the 50s. Money is involved here. In a post 9/11 environment at federal installations, including airports, the producers claim that they didn't intervene doesn't wash. Will the FCC investigate this? Was the wedding deal a 'consolation prize' to soften the blow to Rob & Amber? I know that this race was filmed shortly after AR 6 was done. The timeline fits for my conspiracy theory.”    --Robert

DID ROB AND AMBER THROW THE RACE?
“I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories, but the finale of Amazing Race had me wondering. In addition to Uchenna and Joyce catching the plane, once in Miami things started to smell fishy. Rob and Amber, who displayed an incredible cunning all season, suddenly gave up their time tested methods. They didn't recruit a local guide, or do any advanced planning. They just bumbled around Little Havana. I'm fairly certain Rob showed some Spanish skills earlier in the season. Why were the best team ever to be on the Amazing Race imploding just before the mat? I would hate for this to be true, but it almost felt like they were throwing the race. How much money did CBS give them to film the wedding anyway?”    --Kate

BACKPACKS
“Wondering about the fact that Rob and Amber left their backpacks on the plane to Florida.  I would find this to be more of a security issue then letting the winning couple on the plane, not to mention against the rules of the series since it is illegal to do so.”  --Tina

© 2005 MSNBC Interactive

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7887730/page/2/

Offline Bluetickmaggie

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 09:26:28 PM »
Puddin do you enjoy posting these articles?  I am afraid what this might do to Amazing Race's future, they had just started getting the ratings they deserved and the respect they deserved.  And what about its Emmy chances has that gone down the drain.  They did not rig the ending to TAR 7, it was sloppy editing.   Are these articles coming out every day because I hope this goes away fast.  BVM and Elisa love their show and would not do anything to jeopardize it.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 01:14:50 AM »
Are you talking to me Btm ? First of all  I post articles that I think are interesting and also just about every TAR news that I can find and anyone here as a member is free to do the same thing .
Second of all do you think a small Reality Form can in anyway influence the Amazing Races future or ratings ? What about a Major News Network such as MSNBC or TV Guide ? They ran the articles I copied it and brought it here as did countless other TAR message boards  .. that is there right and its mine .

They did not rig the ending to TAR 7, it was sloppy editing. 
How do you know ? Were you there ? Did you hear all of the conversation between U&J and the ticket girl  , did you see U&J eavesdropping on R&A at the ticket counter ? Did you even bother to read the articles ?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 01:34:20 AM »
'Amazing Race' Conspiracy Theories Heat Up
Friday, May 13, 2005

Add Rob and Amber to the growing list of people who wonder if the finale to the "Amazing Race 7"  was fixed.

CBS' popular around-the-world race's runners-up, Rob Mariano (search) and Amber Brkich (search), suggested Thursday that the down-to-the wire finish of the show was a setup.

"I'm not saying anything," Mariano grinned on yesterday's edition of "Live with Regis & Kelly" when Regis Philbin asked him if he thought there had been a "plot" to help the eventual $1 million winners, Uchenna and Joyce Agu (search), take the top prize.

"America can judge," Mariano laughed.

The move that has everybody wondering came about 20 minutes before the end of the finale, when Rob and Amber squeezed onto an American Airlines flight from San Juan, Puerto Rico, to Miami.

Moments after the door to the aircraft had been sealed and the Jetway pulled away, Uchenna and Joyce begged to be let on the flight. The airline official at the gate called the pilot, who agreed to open the door and allow them onto the plane.

"When was the last time you ever have seen them close the door of a plane and then turn around and open it after they pulled the Jetway away?" Mariano asked.

"That pilot owes us a lot of money," Amber said.

"You've seen them on 'Survivor' and 'The Race,' " a CBS spokesman says. "Rob says everything with a grin. But such characterizations, even in jest, are completely without foundation."

Further fueling the conspiracy theory is the fact the American Airlines was a major sponsor of "Race." Internet buzz speculated yesterday that producers asked the airline to open the door so that the dash to the finish line of the 40,000-mile race would be more dramatic.

"Reality series are always breeding grounds for conspiracy theories," says the CBS spokesman. "Only an understanding gate agent and the goodwill of the pilot returned the Jetway back to the plane. Uchenna and Joyce treated everyone with kindness and respect thoughout race, and that karma was returned at a crucial moment."

Insiders say that the pilot "felt bad" for Uchenna and Joyce when he was told they were at the gate with a TV camera crew and begging to be let on the flight.

A Federal Aviation Administration official told The Post yesterday it is the pilot's decision to open the door after it's been sealed.

"It's the pilot's call," the FAA spokesman said. Under these circumstances "it's perfectly fine for the captain to [have] returned to the gate to pick up the couple."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156435,00.html

Just to add , on Ambers website , which is not working at the moment here is the link , Ambers posted that the plane had already pushed off and taxied down the runway ..then the plane turned around  to let U&J on ..heh now thats amazing !

Offline rmax

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 09:04:25 AM »
I know there are Romber fans here, and I do apologize if I offend anyone, but I think Romber's post-game attitude has definitely been that of sore loser/sour grapes.  Also, if the post by Amber about the plane already leaving the gate is true, then there's some revisionism going on too, since from what we saw on the show, the plane clearly had not left (unless it was the magic of editing).  But all other reports claim only that the gate was returned, not the plane.

The Amazing Race is all about luck, and the kindness (or not) of strangers.  I doubt very much that this manufactured controversy will hurt the show.  Let me guess, some bigshot from American Airlines called the pilot and told him to re-open the gate, because American Airlines is a sponsor?  Or better still, some bigshot from CBS called some bigshot from AA who called air traffic control who told the pilot to re-open the gate?  All of this within the required time to get the plane into the air according to the flight schedule?  I do so love a good conspiracy theory. 

On a side note, David W. Taylor of Reality Reel Media sure does love the sound of his own "voice."  "...whizzing askance"?  I guess that's the downside of online thesauri.

Oh, one more thing...I think God is a little too busy with other things to interfere with the outcome of television reality shows.  So, if the Hand of God had anything to do with U/J getting onto the flight to Miami, I think that's the biggest conspiracy theory of all.

Thanks, puddin, for posting these articles.  I find them fascinating.

Offline floridagirl

• RFF Jr. Member
  • ROMBER ROCKS
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 10:04:02 AM »
Hey Puddin I love the articles.  I find the insight into the behind the scenes info to be fascinating. I am a huge Romber fan and was dissapinted when they came in second.  however, I am so over it ()

I do feel like the editing was poor.  I feel like the producers used editing to cast the final three in  stereotypical fashion.  Uchene and Joyce- the good guys.  Rob and Amber- the Villans.  Ron and Kelly-the comedic relief....you never new what Kelly woud say next.

Keep up the great work Puddin |#' |#' |#'
Life is a reality show.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 02:12:29 PM »
 :)
Rombers TV Guide interview

rmax posted ~
Oh, one more thing...I think God is a little too busy with other things to interfere with the outcome of television reality shows.  So, if the Hand of God had anything to do with U/J getting onto the flight to Miami, I think that's the biggest conspiracy theory of all.
</] I wonder if God had a hand in U&J contributing to the busdriver bribe to keep the back doors locked so that the other teams in the back could not exit first  ]][ ?

Offline rmax

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 02:41:56 PM »
rmax posted ~
</] I wonder if God had a hand in U&J contributing to the busdriver bribe to keep the back doors locked so that the other teams in the back could not exit first  ]][ ?

No, that had to be the devil    ()   :)*

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 06:12:14 PM »
 (%# lol rmax ...you know if I had the resources I would love to fly down to PR myself and talk to those American Airlines staff myself .

just reading Hera's blog @ sucks

black light poster 
(5/11/05 1:38 pm)
ezSupporter
  Re: Hera's Blog: WELCOME TO SUCKS HERA! (pg4)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hera darlin' I'm sure you're aware of the raging debate on whether TAR helped U/J get on the last-leg plane with romber in order to have an exciting race in Miami. Please take a look at:

p085.ezboard.com/fsurvivo...9&stop=209

...and can you shed any light for us?

As you can see, I can easily believe TAR would specifically reserve itself the option to take any of a number of defined actions to compress teams closer together in the interest of producing an exciting show. And I'm speaking of steps beyond just running you guys up against "hours of operation" equalizers, but to include, for example, production helping more than one team get onto a flight that's important to the drama of the show.

(We'll understand if you have to say, "I can't talk about it.")

And congrats on your degree.

edited to add my first post on that subject (in TAR7 anyway):

p085.ezboard.com/fsurvivo...8&stop=158

Edited by: black light poster   at: 5/11/05 1:43 pm

cappuccinoqueen
No time for bier
(5/11/05 4:23 pm)
Reply   Re: Hera's Blog: WELCOME TO SUCKS HERA! (pg4)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hello everyone! I am back from San Diego and happy to see that you all have been going crazy over the finale. You know I love ya'll, but there are certain things that I will not/can't discuss. Unfortunately, the Uchenna/Joyce plane situation is sticky and I am going to stay out of it. All I will say is, it was a good show last night and I believe that they deserved the million. ;) You can read into that any way you like.

Offline realityfanwalife

• RFF Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 04:37:37 PM »
Rigged or not, it is television, you need lives. Watch the show, and if the outcome is changed by the producers because they want it to be changed, realize they are in charge of the show not you. The whole "Rob and Amber" wedding on TV payoff theory is not valid because Trista & Ryan from ABC had their wedding paid for because it was a "Reality show romance" now CBS is trying to get their share of viewers. Get lives, I am shocked I am ranting about this, but I felt it was necessary.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 05:10:27 PM »
lol , {l{ can you recommend a good  psychiatrist ? this had been an ongoing arguement with my family .." I love realty tv " and cannot live without it  |#'

Offline rmax

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 08:59:03 AM »
Rigged or not, it is television, you need lives..... Get lives, I am shocked I am ranting about this, but I felt it was necessary.
Hey, Pot, call me Kettle!   ]**]

Offline floridagirl

• RFF Jr. Member
  • ROMBER ROCKS
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 09:56:39 AM »
AMEN BRETHEREN!!!  Maybe we could get a group discount with the shrink.   
Life is a reality show.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 04:41:26 PM »
Cant get enough  {l{ ..did anyone see Rob & Amber on Leno last night ? Too Cute ..he's still going on about the AA dealio doors opening for U&J but all and all he is happy that U&J were the ones that won the money  :)
 Also they wont say but they have something in the works for TV ..Amber said there was alot of interest from the fans so why not  |#' .
Now I read something at E network weeks ago about Romber having something in the works for TV but wasn't sure if it was gossip or rumors .

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2005, 05:00:28 PM »
'The Amazing Race 7' runner-up Rob Mariano continues to fuel final flight conspiracy rumors

By Steve Rogers, 05/20/2005

More than a week has passed since the broadcast of CBS's The Amazing Race 7 finale, however thanks to the ongoing efforts of bitter runner-up Rob Mariano, a small cloud of doubt continues to linger around winning couple Uchenna and Joyce Agu's victory.
Sly as always, Rob (never one to shy away from playing loose with the truth) had used his media appearances to insinuate that there was something less than above board in the winning couple's ability to get onto the Miami-bound American Airlines flight that allowed them to go head-to-head with Rob and new wife Amber Brkich in the competition's final tasks. However if one chooses to believe the words of Uchenna and Joyce, there was indeed something below board about how the couple came about getting on the plane -- only it was Rob himself who attempted to commit the below board behavior.

Seemingly unable to come to grips with the fact that a team other than his own might possibly have something go their way in the game and not mentioning any role that he might have had in the event, Rob has used the past week and a half to snarky imply -- without actually saying so -- that Uchenna and Joyce's ability to get on the flight was somehow fixed by show producers seeking to ensure a down-to-the-wire finish that would have not otherwise occurred had he and Amber managed to be the only The Amazing Race team on the earlier Miami-bound flight.

Rob began his "left unspoken" campaign on last Thursday's Live with Regis & Kelly show, where he responded with an "America can judge" comment after host Regis Philbin asked him whether he felt there had been a "plot" to help Uchenna and Joyce win the program's $1,000,000 grand prize.

"When was the last time you ever have seen them close the door of a plane and then turn around and open it after they pulled the jetway away," Mariano later stated -- while conveniently ignoring the fact that his own team was the recipient of a similar late boarding scenario during The Amazing Race 7's Argentinean visit that aired in the show's fourth episode.

While Rob and Amber's late boarding didn't involve the partial retraction of a jetway, that's because there was no jetway at the airport in question (instead the passengers had to walk onto the tarmac and up a mobile stairway in order to board the plane) -- with Rob even gushing to the camera that "these very nice people are going to hold the flight for us."

Not to be left out, Amber also piped in with some Live comments of her own, exclaiming "That pilot owes us a lot of money!"

CBS was quick to denounce the implications of the couple's comments, with a network spokesperson telling the New York Post that "You've seen them on Survivor and The Race, Rob says everything with a grin. But such characterizations, even in jest, are completely without foundation."

"Reality series are always breeding grounds for conspiracy theories," the CBS spokesperson added. "Only an understanding gate agent and the goodwill of the pilot returned the jetway back to the plane. Uchenna and Joyce treated everyone with kindness and respect throughout race, and that karma was returned at a crucial moment."

A FAA spokesman also confirmed that there were no procedural violations in the airline's actions, telling the Post that "It's the pilot's call, Under these circumstances "it's perfectly fine for the captain to [have] returned to the gate to pick up the couple."

Not willing to let the issue go, Rob continued his one-man conspiracy campaign later in the week. In an interview published on Monday, Rob was bolder in his comments, telling TVGuide.com that "we'll leave that up to the viewers to decide." "It was a bit sketchy to me. I don't know the last time you saw anyone re-open a plane door for somebody. And it wouldn't have been too dramatic if only one team was running to the finish line."

Still not done rumormongering, Rob was back on his unstated conspiracy horse again last night, once again alluding to improper behavior during a Thursday night appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno that was intended to promote next week's CBS broadcast of the couple's Rob And Amber Get Married wedding special.
"It's still a tough subject Jay," Rob replied after Jay asked about the fateful plane flight. Talking about Uchenna and Joyce's boarding, he said "I've talked to the people at American Airlines already and they say they've never seen it done." "I'm not saying anything Jay, America can decide."

Showing some sportsmanship, Rob did later note that "We did have a wonderful time and if any other team could have won the million dollars we're very happy it was Uchenna and Joyce, they deserved it and they're a great couple."

As far Uchenna and Joyce, they claim that there is a simple explanation for the airline employees' unusual willingness to help them -- that it was because they had only originally booked tickets on the later Miami flight because the American Airlines agent who had sold them their tickets had, at Rob's request, lied and not told them about the earlier flight.

In an interview with Edmonton's 96X BJ & Shannon X-perience radio show, Uchenna and Joyce explained their side of the story -- and also noted Rob and Amber's previous ability to accomplish a similar late boarding.

Responding to Rob's open question, Joyce told the station "'Have you ever seen it' -- yes, we saw it in South America when they reopened the doors to let Rob and Amber on the plane." "That happened twice in one show -- a miracle -- and you know it's really strange... it's a scandal now that it happened to us and all along the way Rob and Amber got help from everybody," she added.

Uchenna also explained the background behind why the couple was able to board the flight -- with Joyce also stating that despite what some conspiracy theorists have implied, rather than the producers using the assistance of the show's American Airlines sponsor to ensure that two teams were still racing along side each other in the competition's final Miami tasks, the murky editing of the event was instead the result of the producers' attempt to save their sponsor some embarrassment and bad publicity.

"What actually happened was, if you notice when we first got to that airport we were behind Rob and Amber. He told that ticket agent not to tell us about that flight," Uchenna told the radio show. "So when we get to the gate guess who was standing at the door -- that same ticket agent who had lied to us and told us there was no flight!"

"They didn't air that I yelled out at the top of my lungs 'You lied to us!' so she was the one who was compelled to call the pilot because, there's cameras everywhere, she's standing there just having lied to me telling me that there was no flight."

"If anything, the show saves American Airlines a little bit of face," Uchenna explained. "[Otherwise] it looks like 'American Airlines lied to its passengers,'" added Joyce.

Lastly, for those viewers hoping that Tuesday's CBS wedding broadcast might mark the last time that "Boston Rob" and his "smokin'" wife appear on their television screens, Rob and Amber have bad news. Disputing Jay's comment that their television time was coming to an end, Amber hinted otherwise, telling the late night host "that's not true Jay, actually we do have some other things in the works."

Pressed by Jay for more information, Rob gave a quick "We can't talk about it Jay" response, with Amber providing no additional details but also stating that "people seem to be interested, so as long as its fun we're going to keep on going with it." Pray that a "couples edition" isn't the twist for CBS's upcoming sixth Big Brother edition folks.

Article link~

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3519

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 05:19:16 PM »
The New York Post article~

ROBBED?

May 13, 2005 -- ADD Rob and Amber to the growing list of peo ple who wonder if the finale to the "Amazing Race 7" was fixed.
CBS' popular around-the-world race's runners-up, Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich, suggested yesterday that the down-to-the wire finish of the show was a setup.

"I'm not saying anything," Mariano grinned on yesterday's edition of "Live with Regis & Kelly" when Regis Philbin asked him if he thought there had been a "plot" to help the eventual $1 million winners, Uchenna and Joyce Agu, take the top prize.

"America can judge," Mariano laughed.

The move that has everybody wondering came about 20 minutes before the end of the finale, when Rob and Amber squeezed onto an American Airlines flight from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Miami.

Moments after the door to the aircraft had been sealed and the Jetway pulled away, Uchenna and Joyce begged to be let on the flight. The airline official at the gate called the pilot, who agreed to open the door and allow them onto the plane.

"When was the last time you ever have seen them close the door of a plane and then turn around and open it after they pulled the Jetway away?" Mariano asked yesterday.

"That pilot owes us a lot of money," Amber said.

"You've seen them on 'Survivor' and 'The Race,' " a CBS spokesman says. "Rob says everything with a grin. But such characterizations, even in jest, are completely without foundation."

Further fueling the conspiracy theory is the fact the American Airlines was a major sponsor of "Race." Internet buzz speculated yesterday that producers asked the airline to open the door so that the dash to the finish line of the 40,000-mile race would be more dramatic.

"Reality series are always breeding grounds for conspiracy theories," says the CBS spokesman. "Only an understanding gate agent and the goodwill of the pilot returned the Jetway back to the plane. Uchenna and Joyce treated everyone with kindness and respect thoughout race, and that karma was returned at a crucial moment."

Insiders say that the pilot "felt bad" for Uchenna and Joyce when he was told they were at the gate with a TV camera crew and begging to be let on the flight.

A Federal Aviation Administration official told The Post yesterday it is the pilot's decision to open the door after it's been sealed.

"It's the pilot's call," the FAA spokesman said. Under these circumstances "it's perfectly fine for the captain to [have] returned to the gate to pick up the couple."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05132005/entertainment/43889.htm

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »
I'm the luckiest girl in the world
Scott Tady, Times Staff
05/22/2005

CBS won't let Amber Brkich talk publicly about her April 16 wedding until after the Tuesday night broadcast of "Rob and Amber Get Married."

But the Brighton Township woman is free to discuss her other recent reality show adventures, including her and husband Rob Mariano's controversial second-place finish in CBS's "The Amazing Race."

In an e-mail Q&A with The Times, here's what Brkich, 26, had to say about her image as an "Amazing Race" villain, her life with Mariano in Florida and her advice for Beaver County's latest "Survivor" star, Ian Rosenberger.

Q: You truly took part in an amazing race around the world. What was the most incredible moment of your journey?

A: For me, it was Africa. I loved going to Botswana and seeing all of the animals. I'm used to saying 'Watch out for the deer!' but never 'Watch out for the giraffe!' Rob's favorite was driving through the Andes Mountains. It took us several hours and was a beautiful drive.

Advertisement

Q: What was the toughest part of the race?

A: Sleep deprivation. You race for three or four days at a time and when you get to the Pit Stop, you have to do routine check-ins, interviews, eat and shower. By that time, six of the 12 hours is gone.

Q: You and Rob obviously played hard to win. Now that you've had time to reflect, how does it feel to have come so close, only to finish in second place?

A: It's horrible! Especially because we had it in the bag. Thanks to American Airlines and whoever that pilot was ... well, put it this way, they owe us a million bucks.

Q: We're hearing conspiracy theories suggesting that "Amazing Race" winners Uchenna and Joyce were allowed to board that American Airlines flight just to keep the race close. Do you think "Amazing Race" officials conspired to help Uchenna and Joyce to keep the race close?

A: Well, I won't say much, but I guess it wouldn't have been all that exciting for the final 20 minutes of the show without two teams racing to the end.

Q: You've always been a big "Amazing Race" fan. Now that you've appeared on that show and on "Survivor," how would you compare the two shows?

A: It's like comparing apples and oranges. On "Survivor," it's an individual game, even though Rob and I pretty much re-invented that and made it a partner game. You are forced to interact with the other players. You're secluded from the real world. You have days to make decisions. You're never rushed unless in a challenge. On "Amazing Race" it's a partner game. You basically never see the other teams. You're thrown into the real world but in different countries so it's totally different than what you're used to. You have seconds to make decisions. You're always rushed. You're always stressed.

Sleep deprivation they have in common. On "Survivor" you can't sleep because the bugs are eating you alive all through the night while you're trying to act like it's comfortable to sleep on logs. On "The Amazing Race" you only get four to five hours of rest every three to four days. I lost weight on both. On "Survivor" I lost a lot more, but on the race you don't eat much because you don't want to spend your money on food.

Q: Which show was more fun?

A: Once again, two totally different types of fun. I loved them both.

Q: In which show was the competition more challenging?

A: Neither. We dominated both shows!

Q: If given a choice, which of those two shows would you do again and why?

A: I'd do "Amazing Race" again in a second. "Survivor" is pointless for me to do again. I've already gotten everything and more that I could possibly ever get out of it. I won, I fell in love, got engaged. Doing it again would be a letdown in comparison. Plus, I'd be the first person they'd want to vote out. On the race, they can't vote you out!

Q: A few of your "Amazing Race" opponents were very critical of the way you and Rob played the game. Others picked up on that, including the Chicago Tribune, which called you and Rob "Millionaire Meanies," and the New York Times, which called you "reality TV's perfect villains." Are you worried about how your image has been affected by "The Amazing Race"?

A: Not at all. I'm not on these shows to "be on TV." I go on these shows to try to win a million bucks while having an amazing experience. It's not summer camp. You're not going to meet friends. You're going to win a million bucks. Rob explained it well when he said, "In poker, you don't give people money so they can stay in the game."

Q: You previously have said you would love to be a TV talk show hostess, a la Kelly Ripa. Do you worry that the way "Amazing Race" portrayed you might make such a career transition difficult? For instance, look at "The View's" Elisabeth Hasselbeck, your former "Survivor" tribemate, whose image is sugary sweet.

A: There may be some people who don't like me, but there are many who do.

Q: OK, some fun questions. What was the inspiration for your red shirt with the big white "@" for Amber you wore throughout "The Amazing Race"?

A: Yeah, "A" for Amber. It was an old shirt that I got at Wal-Mart or something. I can't believe how many people wrote me about that shirt. I had no idea it would be so popular. I guess it was a good choice.

Q: Did it surprise you that people in Peru, South Africa and other faraway "Amazing Race" destinations recognized you?

A: It was completely surprising to be recognized. We really only got recognized in those two countries, in which we placed third and fifth. People keep saying we had an unfair advantage because we were recognized. Every other country we found those people who helped us. It had nothing to do with our "celebrity status." It's stupid that the other teams didn't catch on and do the same thing.

Q: Did you and Rob learn anything about yourselves or your relationship while running around five continents?

A: It just reconfirmed everything we already knew. We work so well together as a team. We know how to compromise, and we love adventure. We had a blast and loved running the race together.

Q: Is the Rob we see on TV like the Rob you see at home?

A: Yes and no. Rob is who you see and so much more. He's the most generous, protective, loving, sensitive, strong, smart, creative, funny, silly partner anyone could have. I'm so lucky to have him as my husband.

Q: How are you enjoying living in Florida?

A: Florida is warm and sunny. Need I say more?

Q: Besides your family and friends, do you miss anything specific about Beaver County?

A: Of course. It's home to me and always will be. There are so many memories at home that will always be special to me. I could definitely go for some Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe right now. Some Ray's BBQ would be awesome, too. I miss the familiarity of everything, too. I'm slowly learning my way around down here. I miss playing with my niece, Emma, too. I miss going to church with my family and then going down to Thursday's afterward for dinner.

Q: After Tuesday's televised wedding, what's next for Rob and Amber?

A: Who knows? There are lots of conversations going on right now that I can't say much about. But besides that, Rob and I are just really looking forward to married life and making a home together.

Q: Jessica Simpson and Nick have their own reality show. Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne had a reality show. That tattooed guy from Blink 182 and his wife have a reality show. What would it take for you and Rob to agree to have a camera crew follow you around during your day-to-day married lives for a new reality show?

A: It would be an extremely tough decision. You'll just have to wait and see.

Q: Anything else you'd like to say about "Amazing Race," "Survivor," your televised wedding or life in general?

A: I love my life. I'm the luckiest girl in the world. I don't take it for granted.

Q: Finally, what advice would you give Economy resident Ian Rosenberger, now that his post-"Survivor" life has begun?

A: Have a blast with life. Make the most of whatever comes at you, but always remember who you are and where you came from. Stay close with those you were close with before "Survivor." They loved you then and love you now. And that is priceless.

Scott Tady can be reached online at stady@timesonline.com.
http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14569813&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2005, 01:27:05 PM »
Not that it matters but my Yahoo TAR group is discussing an article that was in TV Guide , it seems that Joyce is an actress , she had parts in Silk Stalkings as well as StarTrek the Next Generation ,
Why didn't she tell Race Producers ?

Joyces reply  "I didn't want to be known as 'the actress' on the show ."

Offline Bluetickmaggie

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 03:33:57 PM »
Well So was Chip, he was an actor.  You know how long ago Silk Stalkings, Star Trek the Next Generation aired. It has been along time since she has been an actress because she got a Coporate Job but unfortunatly got let go from.  The Producers know about these things, because they have background checks and other stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if (like all articles with interviews from people) this quote was taken out of context.   

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2005, 02:41:40 AM »
Thanks Puddin for posting all the articles, it took me awhile to get through them.  It just shows I should come on the board more often but I don't know where my time goes every evening.   

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2005, 12:43:09 PM »
Shouts out to Bathfizzy  ]**]