Author Topic: RFF's very own Trevor gets recognized by The Village Daily Sun !!  (Read 4075 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Villages snowbirds hope to make final 3 teams in 'Amazing Race' reality show

By THERESA CAMPBELL, DAILY SUN

THE VILLAGES - Just two more shows to go.

Tonight and next week is it for "The Amazing Race" fans who have been following the CBS-TV adventure reality show. For many in The Villages, the race has been a fun ride, as residents cheer for Villages snowbirds Meredith and Gretchen Smith, who are now one of the final four teams in the globe-trotting trek in pursuit of a $1 million grand prize.

Tonight's show, airing at 9 p.m., marks the 10th episode of the current series. The finale airs next week.

Will Meredith and Gretchen make it through tonight's race?

Kevin Day, manager of Crazy Gringos, believes the pair will do well.

"We're making preparations here for a winning party," Day said as Crazy Gringos has been hosting weekly "Amazing Race" parties, allowing fans to watch the show on the restaurant's many TV sets. 

"They have made it this far and their finish last week (second place) was very impressive," Day said.

Many Meredith-and-Gretchen fans nationwide and in Canada were thrilled to see the Villages snowbirds come in ahead of Rob and Amber, who finished third in last week's episode.

Rob and Amber from "Survivor" often appear on TV as if they believe they're better than the other racers, and Rob has made a habit of belittling the Smiths' intelligence, which irritates many fans of the show.

"I know Rob and Amber are probably the force to be reckoned with, but nonetheless, it's a game with a worldly value and there is no status quo winner until the fat lady sings," Day said. "Tuesday's race should probably be the biggest one yet. I've been watching the commercials for it all weekend long, and who knows? We have the possibility of Villages' winners here and that would be something for sure."

Day said Crazy Gringos will continue its party through next week's final show - even if the Smiths were to be eliminated tonight.

The Villages snowbirds have become America's sweetheart couple, attracting a huge following of fans who marvel at how the oldest couple in the race has endured and survived tough challenges.

"I would say 92.7 percent of people watching this show are cheering for them," Trevor Freeman wrote in his Internet review of "The Amazing Race" on realityfanforum.com. "Meredith and Gretchen have moved past Rob and Amber in terms of being the biggest story of this season."

Freeman praised the strategic move of Meredith and Gretchen pairing with Uchenna and Joyce in last week's race. Together the two teams placed in the top two.

Freeman's prediction for tonight is that the two teams will continue their alliance, Meredith and Gretchen will come in third and advance to next week's show. Freeman predicts Ron and Kelly will be the first of the final four teams eliminated.

Many local fans also are fond of Uchenna and Joyce - another nice, sweet couple like the Smiths.

So who are Uchenna and Joyce?

"The Amazing Race" Web site on CBS reveals the following about the married couple from Houston, Texas:

"Uchenna and Joyce are going through an extremely challenging period in their lives. Both worked for now-bankrupt companies that experienced highly publicized accounting scandals: Uchenna worked for Enron and Joyce worked for WorldCom. Uchenna and Joyce's primary motivation for participating in the race is to regain some of the closeness they've lost during these trying times," the Web site said.

"Uchenna grew up in Los Angeles and now works as an energy broker in Houston. Uchenna and his wife have been through some challenging financial and emotional times as of late. After several failed attempts to get pregnant, they tried in-vitro fertilization, but it was unsuccessful," the Web site continues.

"Uchenna describes himself as competitive and extroverted, and he enjoys basketball, scuba diving and horseback riding. Joyce was born in Mississippi and raised in San Diego, Calif. Following her own layoff from WorldCom, Joyce now works in sales in Houston. Joyce and Uchenna desperately want children, and their numerous failed attempts have caused tension within their relationship," the Web site adds.

If Uchenna and Joyce win the race, they would use the prize money for additional in-vitro fertilization procedures.

And if Meredith and Gretchen win?

Friends of the Smiths say they're publicly saying that they would buy a home in Florida - in The Villages.

The pair rented a home here in February and March, during their first winter season in The Villages, and now want to make Florida's Friendliest Hometown their winter home.

Kevin Day of Crazy Gringos invites the Smiths to come party with fellow race fans tonight at the restaurant at 890 Avenida Central. Crazy Gringos adjoins Fiesta Bowl and the restaurant will continue to offer drink and food specials during the airing of the race.

"It's bound to be another exciting show. Meredith and Gretchen have made it this far, and that's impressive," Day said once more.

Impressive indeed.

Theresa Campbell is senior features writer with the Daily Sun. She can be reached at 753-1119, ext. 9260, or theresa.campbell@thevillagesmedia.com.

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/articles/2005/05/03/news/news01.txt

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
Re: RFF's very own Trevor gets recognized by The Village Daily Sun !!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 01:29:46 AM »
CONGRATS Trevor!  Wow, that's quite an honor!  |#'  You do a great job writng and we're all verrrry proud of you!   *^?    /*^     >(^

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "We're just hoping work can overcome smartness."
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 07:06:37 AM »
Thank you very much!!!!

I was telling Rob, I completely just pulled the 92.7% figure out of my a$$.  I was just using some random number which is high!!

"Gin is a morose widow. Tequila is the supple mistress with the cojones to attend the funeral. Pour me some mistress."

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 09:28:30 AM »
WOO HOO  ]>}

Offline gammonwoman2

• " Will's honey woman "
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 10:22:24 AM »
 }^! :<(  WTG  trevor!!!!

Offline Lucy325

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 10:51:13 AM »
Wonderful Trevor  ]#* ]#* ]#*

Offline kraziladi

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Propane & Champagne...breakfast of balloonists!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 02:44:44 PM »
That is just awesome!   :]

Congratulations Trevor and RFF!! =]/