Author Topic: Rob and Amber: an 'Amazing' disgrace  (Read 5074 times)

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
Rob and Amber: an 'Amazing' disgrace
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:27:58 PM »
I have to say, this woman who wrote this article, she DESERVES the Peabody Award, or some kind of award, she is a Genius!!!!

Rob
---------------------------------------
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/218144_tv31.html

Rob and Amber: an 'Amazing' disgrace
Thursday, March 31, 2005

By MELANIE MCFARLAND
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER TELEVISION CRITIC

"They're kind of like an STD. You've got to protect yourself from them, and the only way you can do it is just keep yourself away from them."

-- "Amazing Race" contestant Lynn, referring to "Survivor" alumni Rob and Amber

First, allow me to reveal an obvious bias: I can't stand "Boston" Rob Mariano and his wimpy assistant/fiancee Amber Brkich. Couldn't stand them on either of their "Survivor" stints, couldn't stand them on "Survivor: All-Stars," and I hope terrible traumas befall them on this cycle of CBS's "The Amazing Race," (9 p.m. Tuesdays, KIRO/7) in which they have been chosen as celebrity contestants.

Yeah, that's not nice, but you know what? Neither are they. Rob is a disgusting slug who has represented the lowest qualities of Americans to people across the globe. Amber, his spineless, acquiescent partner, the one who actually won "Survivor's" million-dollar prize, shares his guilt by cheering him on dastardly deed after dastardly deed. People all over the world recognize and love them, but I don't. I truly do not.

At the same time, it's not their fault that I hate their guts. I'm supposed to hate them. Bertram Van Munster, all the other producers of "The Amazing Race," "Survivor's" Mark Burnett and the couple are counting on my unchecked, white-hot fury. They want me to remain passionate enough to care whether they win or lose, because as long as I feel that way, they know I'll tune in.

This is why throwing Rob and Amber into "The Amazing Race 7's" mix is at once one of the smartest and most cynical tactics in reality television. The move breeds both addiction and possible resentment in longtime viewers, putting us at odds with the show and ourselves.

If you're a die-hard fan, "The Amazing Race's" celebrity infusion is mostly distressing. In a genre famous for manipulation and fakery, this is an unscripted series that seems a little more pure in both premise and execution. Instead of limiting its competitors to an island, it makes the Earth their arena. Everyone becomes strangers in strange places, a factor that makes them commiserate as much as clash.

The game's most powerful lure is in the role luck -- some would call it karma -- plays in crowning winners and eliminating losers. A person can be the smartest, most physically fit and well-traveled contestant in the galaxy, but take the wrong train, choose a task unwisely, make the wrong turn, and someone slower can sail right by to the finish line.

"The Amazing Race" attracts men and women from all walks of life, whether black, white, Hispanic, gay, straight, young or old. It takes anyone with a thirst for adventure, and in doing so invites even couch-rooted shrinking violets to dream of globe-trotting. This is not to imply the show is immune to jerks; it has had its fair share in past cycles. Unlike, say, the memorable, scheming ingrates who go far on "Survivor," "The Amazing Race's" stars tend to be the nice guys.

With the exception of Rob and Amber, "Amazing Race 7's" remaining teams are the kind of people you'd love to have over for dinner. Among them are boyfriends Lynn and Alex; married adventurers Uchenna and Joyce; underdog retirees Meredith and Gretchen; the all-American couple Ron and Kelly (he's a former POW, she's a former beauty queen); and Brian and Greg, brothers who provide much of the show's comic relief.

But Rob and Amber rose quickly to become "Amazing Race" stars for no other reason than their familiarity and, in doing so, took the focus away from the regular guys. Audiences used to cheer one of the average joes in past seasons; this time around, we're hung up on figuring out where Amber and Rob are so we can curse them.

Their presence also loads the dice -- not because they're scum, but because they happen to be famous scum. Over five episodes, they've come to represent the nadir of American celebrity, coasting through the impossible on unfair perks without suffering much in the way of consequences. All host Phil Keoghan can do is smirk at them.

The couple's fame gained them free guides in Lima, Peru, and Soweto, South Africa, and their experience on "Survivor" inspired them to bribe locals into tricking other contestants. Sure, it's a contest, and they're allowed to do anything and accept any favors to win.

On Tuesday night's two-hour episode they sank to more inhumane lows, and drove right by Brian and Greg after the duo's truck rolled over, hurting a cameraman.

"There was no way we were stopping," Rob said, his car's cameraman training the lens on the wreck as they zipped by. "It's a competition."

We know we're being manipulated. We can't help but let it happen. The action makes us too giddy, even if later on, once we really think about what Rob and Amber did this week and last, and previously to that -- oh, and remember that they already have a million dollars in the bank -- it simply makes us seethe.

Who knows, maybe some good can come from witnessing their true colors. The more wretchedness they display, the less inclined we may be to witness their Burnett-produced televised hitching. Keep in mind, fame and fortune doesn't guarantee they'll win. But the damage is done, and a respectable show has been irreparably tainted. Various reports have revealed that a future cycle of "Amazing Race" may stack the deck with "Survivor" winner Rupert Boneham.

At least he's nice.

Offline never0102

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
Re: Rob and Amber: an 'Amazing' disgrace
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 05:06:15 PM »
That writer is insane.  Amber mean i have never seen that in fact i think she is one of the nicest people to ever play Survivor. ANd What does she watch the show to see the other teams hated them first.  Why should htey stop to help people who dont like them and want them gone.  I know i would not have. And she says Brian and Greg bring comic relief is this girl insane they are boring i would rather watch a stick of wood. The comic is from UJ and MG this person clearly does not watch the show.

Offline goodyingbadyang

• RFF Full Member
  • I'm hungry
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 05:30:53 PM »
That writer is insane.  Amber mean i have never seen that in fact i think she is one of the nicest people to ever play Survivor. ANd What does she watch the show to see the other teams hated them first.  Why should htey stop to help people who dont like them and want them gone.  I know i would not have. And she says Brian and Greg bring comic relief is this girl insane they are boring i would rather watch a stick of wood. The comic is from UJ and MG this person clearly does not watch the show.

I don't get how you call Brian and Greg boring, hello? Does the name Amber ring a bell to you?

Thanks for the article Rob, glad that not every writer writes articles praising this duo.

Offline never0102

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 07:02:05 PM »
Amber is at least causing some drama being that she is with Rob and i do find her entertaining. , When i watch Brian and Gregg i think i am watching two sticks. But thats just what i think.

Offline goodyingbadyang

• RFF Full Member
  • I'm hungry
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 09:40:56 PM »
Amber is at least causing some drama being that she is with Rob and i do find her entertaining. , When i watch Brian and Gregg i think i am watching two sticks. But thats just what i think.

Amber's a space-eating cow

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 10:09:06 PM »
Amber is causing some drama, because she has annoying Rob following her, where ever she goes. She needs to get rid of that stalker!

Rob

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 11:37:58 PM »
Rob, thanks for posting the excellent article.  It purdie well sums things up.

I'm eating  crow, b/c I defended Romber.  Wanted to give them a chance, feel that i did,  but after EP 5, there's a BIG FAT ZERO in my book of chances.  I hope they do NOT win.  And, I hope TAR's producers open their eyes to the fact it was a BAD idea to let Romber on the show. 

I'm not sure whether TAR should cast Rupert, altho I love & respect him & have from the beginning.  Yes, he's nice as Gramma's homemade pie, but the celebrity aspect may cause some repercussions.  Rupert fans all over the TAR map will patronize him.  It's difficult saying I don't want to see Rupert & his family on TAR, but I think it would be in his best interest as well as TAR if he were not cast.  He would race with dignity & respect, but I'm afraid the other teams will resent him b/c he has already won a Million.  As Rudy would say...I DUNNO!!  *(^   :<(  

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 12:23:58 AM »
Interesting article but I disagree with this comment
But the damage is done, and a respectable show has been irreparably tainted
  I disagree.  The show has not been tainted. Has she even seen previous TARS??  Did she see TAR6 with the despicable Jonathan physically and verbally abusing his wife?  *(^ :(*8 :(*8 :(*8.  How about TAR5 with spastic Colin and Christie.  How about Wil and Tara??  Ian and Terry.  Sorry that comment just really annoyed me. }} }}

Offline never0102

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 09:15:28 AM »
I have a question of you all were running a track race and someone falls do you stop and pick them up NO WAY!!

Go Rob and Amber you guys are responsible for the good rating and its great the show has you!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 04:05:13 PM »
Depends on why they fell!  If it looks serious, maybe life threatening, I'm sure most racers would stop to assist if they saw someone needing help...and screw the race!  Put priority where it belongs...human beings possibly needing help by other human beings is certainly a priority over running a dang race!! 

The very least Romber should've done was stopped & hollared out the window to MAKE SURE their help was not needed.  Showing a little human kindness...doesn't hurt anyone!  In the end, they would be rewarded...if only to feel good about themselves doing what's right.  :)  The other remaining teams probably have even less respect for Romber now. 

Folks, I am terribly disappointed in Romber  :':')  I really had hopes that they would prove themselves since Survivor, and display even a little bit of honor, dignity, & respect!
Ruday }}

Offline Jesstears

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I Am A Reality TV Hound!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • CD Baby
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 06:57:05 PM »
To the person that say Amber is a nice person is smoking crack and distributing crack to others that think the same thing.

On to other posters who like Cob and Famber.  If I was running a race and someone fell, no, I wouldn't stop to help them up, but I wouldn't trip them either which is what Cob would do.  I would not tell them the race has been moved to Germany when it's really being ran in Scotland, which is something else Cob would and has done.  He's not a nice person at all!!!!!!!!!!  I realize it's a game and when I see people stoop to the levels I've seen some do, again, I say Cob and Famber, I know I wouldn't trust them around my pocket book.  I would have to lock up everything in my house because they have proven what rotten a** people they are.  So everyone can say it's just a game and what not, but to me, it shows the type of person you are.
=]/

Offline Vernie

• RFF Full Member
  • Survivor Junkie, GOLF GODDESS, Hard working mom
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 08:20:27 PM »
you hit that nail on the head '(>
GrassrootSoccer.Org
www.aidsresearch.org