Author Topic: Wanda's TV Guide interview  (Read 4011 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Wanda's TV Guide interview
« on: February 23, 2005, 10:25:43 AM »
Survivor's Wanda Sings the Blues
by Angel Cohn

Wanda Shirk

Music may soothe the savage beast, but Wanda Shirk's vocal stylings didn't please her fellow castaways on Survivor: Palau. Though the 55-year-old English teacher tried to charm everyone with her very own Survivor ditties, they decided she was out of line — not to mention out of tune. In an unhappy twist reminiscent of junior-high gym class, host Jeff Probst made the contestants split into two teams of nine; Wanda and pretty-boy Jonathan Libby didn't get picked. Here, Wanda tells TVGuide.com why she thinks she got cut so early.

TVGuide.com: Think you deserve a second shot on Survivor?
Wanda Shirk: I would do it again in a blink. In Vanuatu, Brook and Brady were a couple of awesome people who were eliminated unfairly because the older guys decided to get rid of them. Maybe sometime, instead of going through all this casting, Mark Burnett could go back and pick out the good people who didn't have a chance to play. I want very badly to be one of those people.

TVG: What would you do differently?
Wanda: Play the game! I didn't get to play. Getting picked by one individual is a whole different thing than a whole tribe writing down your name [at tribal council]. I don't think people would have voted against me. But [I was at a disadvantage] since guys had to pick girls and the [guys] that were picking were between 21 and 40. The oldest guy, [Tom,] was 15 years younger than I and he had the first pick; it was very logical for him to take Janu. She could shimmy herself up a coconut tree. But then the next person [James] was 33, and [men his age] are just not going to pick someone 20 years older. It doesn't make sense.

TVG: How did you prepare for the show?
Wanda: I trained so hard, like I was going into a marathon. I ran and swam. One of the casting people had told me that this was going to be a swimming Survivor. On a scale of one to ten in terms of swimming, where ten is lifeguard, you need to be at least a six. So I made sure I got myself well beyond the six. I could swim for miles. When I started, I could barely swim 25 yards.

TVG: Darn! We never got to see that.
Wanda: It was just hugely disappointing. It was good for me physically to find out that I could do things I never thought I could do. Scout in Vanuatu had [the idea] that older people can't do it; that is not necessarily true. Cathy in All-Stars was 50 and outswam Amber in a really tough swimming challenge. I wanted to be like Cathy. Before that, there was Lil and she was just stupid. I wanted to be both intelligent and strong.

TVG: Did your singing do you in?
Wanda: [Whispering] No. I know that they tried to portray that, but that is because they didn't want it to come out that they stocked the show with young models. They did. Out of the 20 people that were originally cast, they cut seven and put pretty people from modeling agencies in instead, so that they would have the eye candy. We found that out while we were there [in Palau]. When we asked [each other], "What did you do for your audition tape?" some of the people would say, "Oh, well, I didn't really do an audition tape."  :(*8

TVG: Finally, could you sing me one of your songs?
Wanda: [To the tune of "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"] S-U-R-V-I-V-O-R, I am a Survivor/I can deal with any fate and be my own reviver/When the adventure's over, I'll be stronger, braver, wiser/S-U-R-V-I-V-O-R, I am a Survivor!

Source~
http://tvguide.com/news/insider/

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
Re: Wanda's TV Guide interview
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:11:06 PM »
 *(^ Why do I have a feeling I am going to miss Wanda?
Make it Idiot Proof and Someone will make a better Idiot.  :whip:

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 03:35:35 PM »
why am I surprised they traded people that were picked for models?  that seems to be the trend lately on all the shows!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 03:41:06 PM »
I wonder if Wanda said too much ?  ]][

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 03:44:15 PM »
Well some of the bad attitudes on Ulong...I bet they got most of the models.  It is a gig for them not wanting to survive.  Ashlee and Steph will be at each other soon...both have the B!@#$ look.  ]][

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 12:50:58 AM »
I don't think Ulong is going to last. Those numbskulls deserve to loose. They couldn't even secure five votes to keep Jo around.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 01:06:10 AM »
Ulong = The hired Model Tribe.. infortunatly Angie & James "sumoabitch" will pay the price in the long run  :(*8

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 01:14:30 AM »
So you saying James first?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 01:20:03 AM »
I know nothing Chaketta , just here say..now Snewser has stepped in ..I'll post it in Just some spoilers  {l{

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 01:23:40 AM »
 ]//{ not buying it for a sec puddin.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Survivor's Casting Chaos
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 10:49:04 AM »
Survivor's Casting Chaos
by Angel Cohn

Wanda Shirk

Every year, thousands of Survivor fanatics film themselves doing outrageous things for the audition tapes they submit to the show. But do any of them really have a chance of landing on a desert isle?

Survivor: Palau's first ousted contestant, Wanda Shirk, told TVGuide.com that out of this season's original 20 players, seven people were cut and replaced with models from an agency who had not submitted audition tapes. Was the songbird of Palau blowing the whistle on a big cover-up? Or is she merely misinformed?

CBS casting director Lynne Spillman — who helps pick contestants for Survivor and The Amazing Race — insists it's the latter case. "[Shirk's assertion] is a completely false statement," she says. "Completely false. There was never an original 20 people cast. Wouldn't you be hearing from these 'other' seven that were 'originally' cast? There is no one on the show from a modeling agency. We don't use modeling agencies."

As for the players who allegedly told Shirk that they didn't get cast by submitting audition tapes, Spillman has a simple explanation. "We have never hidden the fact that we recruit people," she says. "I personally found Jonny Fairplay [from Survivor: Pearl Islands] on a bus-stop bench smoking a cigarette, and he just looked like such a character to me.

"But they still have to make an audition tape," she adds. "And the people who go to open calls technically didn't put their own tapes together, but they had a submission tape. So sometimes, if someone is asked that question, 'What did you do for your audition tape?', I guess the lingo [is confusing].

"Maybe [Wanda] misinterpreted what their answer was," Spillman continues. "They were all good-looking, and to her, that means model. So when they said that they didn't make a tape, it could have been an open call or they were recruited or whatever. There are a lot of the same types of people who apply season after season after season to Survivor — you have to go outside the box to find different people or you'd be looking at the same thousands of tapes every season

link~
http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/050307c.asp

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 01:09:09 PM »
yada yada yada ~ think this will be brougth up at the reunion show?  Do you think she will sing?

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 09:50:09 PM »
Bitter, party of one.

think this will be brougth up at the reunion show? Do you think she will sing?

I hope Jeff calls her on it. If Wanda doesn't sing, I will be shocked.

Offline palauan on guam

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • achoo!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »
lol...i thought wanda's singin was kinda funny..but its really hard to forget...so i think she had a good strategy...she must've been thinking "damn all these people are young, they swim faster, climb better, they have an advantage at everything, hmm what can i do that none of these youngsters wouldnt do...well i guess ill sing." lol...so even though she was voted out first its something most people will remember...lol  ((^ its fun to laugh at too.
palauan unexposed....
say hello to my little fwen..."click" palau palau palau palau palau palau...muhahahahahah

Offline 'keeta

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • HOME!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 12:30:14 PM »
She keeps stirring things up, even though she was booted. Accusing CBS of recruiting models instead of taking people that actually tried out for the show.  :(*8  CBS would never do that.  ^/^ 
 :)*