Author Topic: JOLANDA, JONATHAN & WANDA FIRST OUT  (Read 3392 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
JOLANDA, JONATHAN & WANDA FIRST OUT
« on: February 17, 2005, 11:37:08 PM »
JOLANDA, JONATHAN & WANDA FIRST OUT
Thirty-nine days, twenty new castaways, a new twist to the game: SURVIVOR: PALAU has begun. On night three, the newly formed Ulong tribe was forced to make their first dreaded paddle to Tribal Council, where they voted out Jolanda Jones, the 39-year-old lawyer from Houston, Texas. Viewed as having a strong personality, Jolanda immediately stood out amongst her tribemates, who thought her attempts to become Ulong's leader were too severe. Upon leaving Tribal Council, Jolanda remarked, "I don't think that I would do anything differently. I don't regret anything that happened out here."
SHOCKING WELCOME
Aboard a boat in the clear waters surrounding the paradise island nation of Palau, twenty strangers from different walks of life eagerly awaited the chance to outwit, outplay and outlast each other in pursuit of the coveted million-dollar prize. These Survivors were awestruck to hear of the colorful wildlife, incredible underwater world and remnants of World War II that would be their environment.

Out at sea, host Jeff Probst shocked the Survivors by explaining that the game had already begun as the first male and female castaways to reach the beach would claim early Immunity. Surprised they weren't even divided into tribes yet, the twenty Survivors immediately paddled their large outrigger toward the beach that would serve as their camp.

RACE TO SHORE
Looking to get a leg up on their fellow castaways, Stephenie LaGrossa, the 25-year-old pharmaceutical sales rep from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Jonathan Libby, the 23-year-old marketing associate from Dallas, Texas, leaped off the raft in an attempt to swim to shore. This proved to be a mistake as these two misguided Survivors watched the other eighteen quickly pass them by in the boat.

As the outrigger reached close to shore, the Survivors dove into the water, and the race was on for which two would receive early Immunity. Jolanda and Ian Rosenberger, the 23-year-old dolphin trainer from Key Largo, Florida, were first to reach the shore and grab the prized Immunity necklaces, guaranteeing themselves Immunity at least for the moment.

Assessing the situation once the Survivors landed onshore, Gregg Carey, the 28-year-old business consultant from Chicago, Illinois, noted, "We're not a tribe. We don't have our buffs. We're just getting to know everyone's name. We don't have a clue what's happening next."
WELCOME TO CAMP
After drying off and introducing themselves to each other, the Palau castaways broke into groups of water gatherers and shelter builders. As they found the water well, the Survivors were elated to come across a bag filled with shoes. On the way back to camp, an early alliance formed between Angie Jakusz, the 24-year-old bartender from New Orleans, Louisiana and Coby Archa, the 32-year-old hairstylist from Athens, Texas, who both claimed to feel like outcasts from the rest of the crew. As Angie explained, "Me and Coby pretty much knew, when we saw each other, that we were going to be kindred to one another because we understood being different."
CHOOSING SIDES
After their first full night in Palau, the twenty tribeless castaways awoke to Jeff Probst, who explained that Jolanda and Ian would hold their Immunity for only ten more minutes. He then instructed the crew to line up in order to be divided into tribes. Ian would choose a woman while Jolanda would choose a man, then the ones chosen would, in turn, chose a member of the opposite sex. This would continue until there was one woman and one man left, who would then immediately be eliminated from the game.
TWO SURVIVORS GO HOME
Like children choosing softball teams, the Palau Survivors started recruiting their tribemates. One by one, the castaways were assigned to a tribe or left standing unwanted, the threat of elimination hanging over them. An early deception occurred when Coby abandoned his pact with Angie by choosing Caryn Groedel, the 46-year-old civil rights attorney from Solon, Ohio, over his new friend. Tension mounted as only two men and two women remained. Caryn had to choose between Jonathan or Willard Smith, the 57-year-old lawyer from Bellevue, Washington. By picking Willard, Caryn sent Jonathan home. Then it was up to Ibrehem Rahman, the 27-year-old waiter from Birmingham, Alabama to choose between Wanda Shirk, the 55-year-old English teacher from Ulysses, Pennsylvania or Angie. By choosing Angie, Ibrehem in effect ousted Wanda.
MEET ULONG & KOROR
With two castaways already gone, the eighteen remaining Survivors were left to encompass the two tribes deemed Ulong and Koror. The Ulong tribe would wear blue buffs and consist of Jolanda, Bobby Jon Drinkard, the 27-year-old waiter from Troy, Alabama, Stephenie, Angie, Jeff Wilson, the 21-year-old personal trainer from Ventura, California, Ibrehem, Kimberly Mullen, the 25-year-old graduate student from Huber Heights, Ohio, James Miller, the 22-year-old steelworker from Mobile, Alabama, and Ashlee Ashby, the 22-year-old student from Easley, South Carolina. The Koror tribe would wear brown buffs and include Ian, Katie Gallagher, the 29-year-old advertising executive from Merced, California, Tom Westman, the 41-year-old NYC firefighter from Sayville, New York, Janu Tornell, the 39-year-old Vegas showgirl from Las Vegas, Nevada, Gregg, Jennifer Lyon, the 32-year-old nanny from Encino, California, Coby, Caryn, and Willard.
IMMUNITY & REWARD CHALLENGE: SUPPLY DUMP
As the tribes met Jeff Probst for the first challenge of Survivor: Palau, they learned it would be a combination Immunity and Reward Challenge. Jeff Probst explained this challenge would be an obstacle course involving a jungle race, a cargo net crawl and a tire run. The tribe members would then arrive at a supply dump, where they would gather valuable supplies. The tribes would choose which items they want to race with. The next obstacle was a ten foot wall that the Survivors would need to get themselves and their supplies over. They would then wade through a waist-deep swamp before dropping the supplies on beach mats. The final leg would be an outrigger race on the water to retrieve their tribe flag. The first tribe to cross the finish line with their tribe flag would win Immunity, as well as whatever supplies they had gathered.
DON'T GET GREEDY
The competition got off to a frenzied start as both tribes negotiated the jungle race. Koror jumped out to a quick lead as Ulong struggled with the tire run. Koror reached the supply dump first and made the conscious decision to take only the fire-building materials. Arriving at the supply dump, Ulong faced confusion concerning which items to take. Claiming the role as leader, Jolanda insisted they take everything.

In their attempt to secure all the Rewards at the supply dump, Ulong faced a chaotic time-waste, which allowed Koror to finish the course easily and take the victory. Koror won Immunity as well as the tools they would need to make fire. Jeff Probst then offered Koror the decision to return to their original camp or claim a brand new beach they've never seen. Koror chose the new location, thus sending the Ulong tribe back to the old.
CAPSIZED
While paddling to their new camp, Koror caught a large wave that capsized their outrigger canoe. In a devastating twist of fate, the box containing the tools to build fire sank to the bottom of the ocean and was lost to the tribe. "We were so elated. We were just loving life. We couldn't wait to see the new beach. And all this to happen," fretted Tom. "We're just crushed right now. We don't have the water, we don't have the fire to purify it. We lost everything we won today."
SCRAMBLE AT ULONG
Returning to camp from the crushing defeat, the Ulong members had the unenviable task of deciding who to vote off at Tribal Council. Deemed a weak link and outsider, Angie was clearly on the chopping block. Also at risk was Jolanda, who had set herself apart from the tribe by assuming the role of leader, as well as costing Ulong the Challenge by insisting they take all the supply crates. "I don't trust anyone in this tribe, but if I can at least make it past this one, I'll be happy," Angie confessed.

In the end, Angie turned out to be happy as she did indeed survive the first Tribal Council. Despite her strength, Jolanda simply set herself too far apart from her tribemates. As a result, she witnessed the fateful six-to-three decision that made her the first castaway voted out of SURVIVOR: PALAU

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "We're just hoping work can overcome smartness."
Re: JOLANDA, JONATHAN & WANDA FIRST OUT
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 10:08:40 AM »
I don't think anyone was shocked by Wanda's elimination last night. 
"Gin is a morose widow. Tequila is the supple mistress with the cojones to attend the funeral. Pour me some mistress."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
In One Night, 3 'Survivors' Out /Early Show interviews
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 10:30:19 AM »
Right  she did not fit in , I'm glad Wandas gone Trevor ,do you think she was planted by CBS ? Jolanda needed to go too . She insisted on it being her way or the highway .  I had her pegged as one of the favorites . Koror  dumass move ," lets leave all our cool **** behind and live on our own Island  "=  people in the dark, rainy night at the new island regretting the decision to try a new place ]][
I think once they find there fire box they will be Ok..'If"

In One Night, 3 'Survivors' Out

NEW YORK, Feb. 18, 2005

(CBS) "Survivor: Palau" got off to a very fast start and end for Wanda Shirk, Jonathan Libby and Yolanda Jones. And the first two didn't even get a chance to really play.

What went wrong?

"Grandma got run over by some models," a chipper Wanda sang to The Early Show co-anchor Rene Syler. "You might think there's no such thing as justice and as for me and grandpa, we agree. Not fair!"

And even good looks did not help Jonathan stay in the game. Just as children pick teams in school, "Survivor" contestants chose their teammates. Jonathan, like Wanda, was just the last man to be chosen, which meant he went home.

"It was very nerve-racking because I can't imagine why somebody would pick Willard over me, but that's the way it worked out."

Yolanda, who actually got to play, knows exactly why she was chosen at tribal council.

"Because they all were afraid of me," she says. "I knew I was in trouble, like, on Day One when the young girls were in the water, and they were talking about how perfect my rear was."

Yolanda was the first to get to shore in the initial challenge and thus won one of two immunity necklaces. But alas it only lasted 10 minutes. Her immunity required her to take the role of team captain, making her Ulong tribe's first pick.

"Women cut each other down," Yolanda says. "That's just what we do. Women have insecurities and it's my belief that 'Survivor' exacerbates your insecurity."

It wasn't her strategy in the first challenge that led to her demise, she says.

"Understand this," Yolanda says. "We got to strategize before the challenge, but we decided as a team that we were going to take everything. So it was sort of funny, the editing, because we decided we would take stuff, and there were some of us who just wanted to take fire.

"There were a number of decisions that I absolutely didn't agree with. And that's fine. I don't regret anything they did. People have insecurities and they had to go fight with me. I expect for things not all always to work out right," she says.

Editing was also blamed for making Wanda, the 55-year-old English teacher from Ulysses, Pa., look irritating on the show.

"I think they set it up to look like the songs were annoying," Wanda explains. "But there were people asking me. The songs were fun. I want to learn that song. When I left, did you see the people crying?

"Did you see they called out and said,'Wanda, sing for us?' Sure they can get Willard, the curmudgeon, to beat it over the head. That's his job to be a curmudgeon."

And yet, everybody else was in the boat rowing, while she was seen as just singing away. "We did a lot of rowing and we did some talking. It took one minute to sing that song and every little snippet they had of me they put on," Wanda says in her defense.

Jonathan agrees.

"It wasn't really irritating," he says. "After we hadn't slept the first night. Wanda just comes with this energy 24 hours a day nonstop, and never gets tired and never wears out."

Jonathan's mistake may have been that he could not wait long enough in the boat to get closer to shore and was the first to jump off. Why did he jump?

"It looked like the boat wasn't moving at all," he says. "It was so hot. We were tired and we'd been rowing all day. And basically, I jumped in the water."

Sadly, Wanda says, nobody got a chance to see how well she could swim and run.

"I trained for months like an Olympic athlete, but never had to be a chance to be in a challenge where people could see that," she says. And Ibrehem [Rahman] talked to me on the phone and kind of apologized. He said, 'It was a tough decision to make; I went by age.'"

No regrets for Jolanda, though.

"I never went on the show to win the money," she says. "It was an adventure of a life time."

source link~
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/18/earlyshow/series/survivor/main674927.shtml

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Thursday Night by Rochell Thomas
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 11:30:40 AM »
From TV Guide

Thursday Night by Rochell Thomas   

Survivor

Survivor: Palau
Survivor was starting to get too Real World predictable. So I liked that they switched up the game tonight by not splitting into two teams right away and making the players share a beach. I just wish organizers could've made that curveball fly a little farther. (Also would have been nice if CBS' promo guys hadn't given the big twist away. But what can you do.)

Along the way, though, there were some serious lessons to be learned from tonight's season premiere:
1. Don't stick out. In this game you don't want to be too exotic (Hello, Janu), too beautiful, too punk-rock (Angie), too strong, too crazy or too damn anything. When schoolteacher Wanda stood up on the boat and started singing her Survivor songs, she might as well have asked them to "Please send me home now."
2. Don't win the first immunity challenge. Even if you easily can. It just puts a target on your back. Wish Jolanda had thought of that.
3. Don't try to be the boss. Again, Jolanda girl, you've seen other Survivors. You should have known this.
4. Do make multiple alliances as soon as possible. Otherwise your one bond may leave you hanging like Coby did Angie and Stephenie did Jonathan.
5. Don't try to eliminate the brothaman too quickly. This one just pisses me off. I mean, really. Were those women blind? Why leave Ibrehem to the eighth round? Come on. Don't scare me like that. I don't have much in life. Let me at least get a few episodes out of the shirtless black guy. OK?
6. And, hell, whatever you do, don't jump out of the boat before you get too close to shore. How funny was it when Miss "I'm a Good Swimmer" Stephenie dived overboard, silly Jonathan followed suit and the rest of the castaways just looked at them like they were crazy and rowed right on by?

source~
http://www.tvguide.com/tv/watercooler/

Offline Trevor

• RFF Writer
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "We're just hoping work can overcome smartness."
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 02:02:06 PM »
It would not shock me at all if she was "planted" by CBS.  I've met some pretty perky people, but nobody approaches her.  Singing like that the entire time.  Was she joking.
"Gin is a morose widow. Tequila is the supple mistress with the cojones to attend the funeral. Pour me some mistress."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 02:47:14 PM »
She's an embrassment to us Pennsylvannia residents  . Trevor I swear we do not act like that here  {l{

Offline Swanee

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Witless Protection Program Graduate
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 08:47:25 PM »
Oh, come on puddin...A little birdie told me that you sing that "SURVIVOR" song in your shower `/~
I'm pantless but not hatless!! :ass:  Yup, I'm shirtless now, too :boobs:

Offline irelen

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 09:36:35 PM »
Don't take that comment personally, puddin, magiiiila just wants to picture you in the shower, never mind the singing! ((^

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 09:51:46 PM »
 ((^  take that you two  )!)

Offline Swanee

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Witless Protection Program Graduate
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 03:15:28 AM »