Poll

Should reality shows bring back contestants from different shows or seasons?

Yes, it's fun to see familiar faces
Yes, but only if those people haven't already won big money
No, give a fresh face a shot at winning big

Author Topic: Why do reality shows recycle contestants?  (Read 3781 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Why do reality shows recycle contestants?
« on: January 26, 2005, 06:52:41 PM »
Why do reality shows recycle contestants?

Can't get enough Rob and Amber after her "Survivor All-Stars" win and his on-air proposal? They'll be back on "The Amazing Race."

Q: Why do some reality shows allow contestants to be on after they were already on another show?  For example, Sam from ‘The Apprentice’ was on ‘Dog Eat Dog’; Allison from ‘Big Brother’ was on ‘The Amazing Race’ and Rob and Amber from Survivor are going to be on the next ‘Amazing Race.’ Haven’t those two won ENOUGH money?    —Amy, Missouri

A: With the proliferation of reality television, the world has, apparently, run out of people willing to eat cow rectums, search for a life partner, or live in a house with strangers. How else could we explain the recurrence of familiar faces on “The Bachelor,” the appearances of personalities like Toni “Yahtzee!” Ferrari on multiple shows such as “Love Cruise” and “Paradise Hotel,” or even the existence of a series like “The Real World/Road Rules Challenge”? Viewers with good memories will notice people popping up all over the place, like current “Bachelorette 3” bachelor Jerry, who was previously seen working as a jewelry store doorman on “The Real World.”

There are two schools of thought as to why this happens: One is that producers believe that viewers like the people so much we want them to return. “Survivor All-Stars” and other shows that bring back champions to play again definitely have this in mind. And some series populate their casts with familiar faces, possibly in the hope that they’ll draw new viewers. “The Amazing Race 7,” for example, will feature “Survivor” couple Rob and Amber, while “The Amazing Race 5” featured Alison from “Big Brother” and her boyfriend, Donnie.
The other reason why cast members keep popping up is that producers are desperate for people, or just severely lazy, only looking to other series to cast their new shows. Jen Schefft is currently starring in “The Bachelorette.” Previously, she found love on “The Bachelor” after Andrew Firestone selected her. But they broke up, and she’s back again, eager to once again use this process to find a mate. And MTV is having more ratings success with “The Real World/Road Rules Challenge” than with “Road Rules,” which is why they’re not renewing “Road Rules” but are bringing back the reunion show for two more seasons. If we watch, they’ll keep coming back.    —A.D.

source MSM~
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6840047/

Offline Swanee

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Witless Protection Program Graduate
Re: Why do reality shows recycle contestants?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 07:36:35 PM »
Sometimes I'll root for someone on a reality show and they either don't make it far, or don't ultimately win and I'd like to see them have another chance to get the big bucks.  So I'd have to say mine is choice #2.
I'm pantless but not hatless!! :ass:  Yup, I'm shirtless now, too :boobs:

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 01:15:12 PM »
I like seeing some of the returning players.  I Think the producers get worried about the ratings and bring in some of the same people to get the other show's viewers...what they do not is alot of reality show watchers already watch multiple shows.

I hope Rob and Amber do well...but kind of hope someone else wins the million.

Offline Swanee

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Witless Protection Program Graduate
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 01:40:57 PM »
Hey, even the best palyers don't ultimately win the big prize.  There's so much stuff that could happen.  Look at Rob and Amber their first times out. >||
I'm pantless but not hatless!! :ass:  Yup, I'm shirtless now, too :boobs:

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 12:12:33 AM »
I don;t mind seeing some familar faces on a reality show especially if it is a team I really liked and rooted for.  I like Rob and Amber from Survivor and it will be interesting how they will be on the Amazing Race because it is not always strategy that gets you to the pit stop.  Sometimes it is pure luck (remember the hayrolling episode with Kristy her sister when they got there and everyone else came after and found the clue before them).  I wouldn't want to see Jon blue shirt and Victoria back on another reality show especially Amazing Race because he has no respect for her and I think he would bring the ratings down because I get fed up seeing his spazzy behaviour week in and week out. `/~

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 09:11:38 AM »
I agree Fizzy...I like rob and Amber...most do nto because they were in your face on survivor and no one challenged them...not their fault.  It is luck sometimes plus alot of bunchings...hope they can minimize some of those.  Wonder if they plan that to cut down on camera men?

Offline HaydennAaronFan

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • *Hayden and Aaron, the #1 team on the race*
    • Hayden!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 11:38:21 AM »
I don't even know who rob&amber are, i've seen them once on survivor, so they are new faces for me,  imight cheer for them, depends on who is coming back from this season...  (^.# . Her shirt is so cute "I love rob", that's cool |5|
Hayden n Aaron #1 Team on The Amazing Race 6!

Amazing Race 7 Picks:

Megan and Heidi
Ron and Kelly
Rob and Amber
Greg and Brian

Survivor Picks:

Kim and Stephanie (Sorry Jeff , Too bad lose)!!